What's new

Should MK11 bring back the sexyness and fan service of MK9 to a degree?

Should MK11 bring back the sexyness and fan service of MK9?

• Total voters
Each to their own, but I actually thought it greatly stunted, even changed her character.

A huge part of her identity was that she was so different and obviously non-human. Remember she is a Frankenstein monster basically. By giving her more human features, they are reducing part of the characters identity and almost removing all the historical lore surrounding her jealously turned hatred to her "real" sister and how they relate to each other.

So in mind mind it not only looked terrible, it also completely gutted her identity and destroyed decades of story. Plus tradition is a thing. I liked her they way she was, the way she always was, and I do not see that a need for change was warranted or even executed well when it happened.
She doesn't have much in the way of jealousy and hatred towards Kitana though, not in the current timeline; that's an old timeline thing and said jealousy and envy came about as they grew up together.

Mortal Kombat (2011) completely changed and removed that, and instead made Mileena new "born," immature, and insane. By the time of the Mortal Kombat X comics, she had actually grown up and matured (mentally) significantly.

Looking at said comics, and then the game itself, she never mentions Kitana once (Story mode and lore, Versus intros are not established canon), and even in Mortal Kombat (2011), she only talks to her once directly when she first awakens, and then mentions her briefly to Jade before they fight. That's it.

The Kitana/Mileena dynamic was 100% changed years before her retconned mouth ever came to be, so in terms of decades of story, the real question should be: how did Raiden sending his memories back in time alter things 10,000 years ago so Mileena was not created then!?!?! As fun and enjoyable as Mortal Kombat (2011)'s Story Mode is, there's lots of things that simply make no sense having been changed by Raiden's memories being sent back alone.

Aesthetically, yes, to each their own of course.

trufenix

bye felicia
... What? Mileena is still a clone of Kitana. Did you not play MK9, or are you pulling my leg here? XD
sorry, pal. #retcon

Mileena's (2011) Bio said:
Shang Tsung has created many abominable creatures in his Flesh Pits, but none so twisted as Mileena. A fusion of Edenian flesh and Tarkatan blood, Mileena is both beauty and beast. This dichotomy has made her mind unstable; she is prone to fits of madness and savagery. Though she has the appearance of a mature woman, she is more child than adult--a blank slate conformed to Shao Kahn's will. Devoid of conscience or remorse, Mileena will butcher anyone to appease her beloved father.
No mention of cloning Kitana at all, not even when they meet in story mode for the first time. Mileena just calls her "sister" and that's it.

aj1701

Noob
For the most part I agree with this. The character design/outfit should fit the character's lore absolutely.

I would argue, however, that Sonya's MK9 Alt costume (tank top, shorts, combat boots, and shades) is a sexy version of what you could expect someone to be wearing in a fantasy (aka story/made up world) military boot camp. I don't see a problem with that for a character design. Maybe lose showing the stomach or something, but it's hardly what I would call a stripper.
I thought Sonya's MK9 alt looked a lot like her costume in the MK movie actually.

aj1701

Noob
Also didn't MKX sale a lot of copies? I'm not sure if sexyness really matter to people buying this game. Plus they got the internet to search up that stuff.
I bought MKX on release day, but stopped playing it after a few months. I didn't like the gameplay, but the design was a big factor too. It felt bland and boring. So I'm not sure "sales" is a good measure.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
Yes, when Kitana defeats Shang Tsung in the flesh pits and bring him before Shao Kahn she states, "Shang Tsung has created horrid REPLICAS of me crossbred with Tarkatan blood".
Yeah, so I have no idea what trufenix is talking about...

Peter Quill

You’re No Fun
*Cough*There’s so much customization in this game when it’s comes to outfits so I don’t know why this is an issue I literally made a Harley Quinn that’s 95% skin in Injustice 2 so if that’s what your little heart desires I’m sure you’ll be fine *Cough*