What's new

Match-up Discussion Shazam Match-Up Discussion

in this matchup I often get to the last second/last pixel. How do you approach this MU?
Well since NRS decided to ditch to arguably phenomenal Captain Marvel from MK VS DC I have nothing on her from a distance so I go in her face ( her ugly , tranny like face ) and I basically get stuck in sweep distance because her bck2,3 is overhead , anti-air , quick , unpunishable , long and infuriating . So in the slim chance she forgets to use it , she has a brainless 42 % combo ( really NRS ) so she's always at full meter meaning that clashes are never in my favour . My meaty HM and jump-ins are blown up by her anti-air , quick starting , spining thing ( I don't remember it's name ) and if I do nothing it's all good though . Which is good because I am already at 20 % health ( sarcasm )

whatever keeps you in sweep distance . you shouldn't use MB Atlas Torpedo to end combos ( if he's like 3% away from death go for it ) as it throws him very far , however MB AT will most likely land you near an interactible so do whatever you think best at the time Definetely end combos with Herculean Might -example fwd2,2 xx HM xx bck 3 j2,fwd2,2,3 xx HM - as it does the best damage and leaves you at a decent range for another carefully timed jump-in . when you have cornered him do something like this - 1) 1,1,2,4 2)fwd2,2,3,4 so you get him to panic because he has limited option when in the corner and you can get some easy 60% corner damage or at least some good chip go for fwd2,2,3 because 3 is 0 on block . also when you have no meter end combos that throw the opponent far away like that 1)1,1,2 xx Advancing Mercury Storm 2) 2,2, xx AMS . Remember Black Adam must not be very far
Best ways to use meter other then extending combos 1) MB zeus bolt is out of the question NEVER use it 2) MB HM is very good option when he is just getting up but Lighting Cage and Lighting Hands beat it , so time it good 3) MB torpedo I mentioned it earlier 4) MB Achilles Clutch is a ''meh'' because it's hard to get him with it outside a combo and it's very punishable 5) MB the back 3 is a good choice only near a transition zone but you have to be in his face ( because it's short ) and most likely bait his wakeups ) MB Forward 3 is perfect for corner damage combined with trait (if you don't have trait active already , I advise against it) 6) clash is pretty situational so do whatever you think when you are defending only win by a 2+ bar advantage and when you are attacking let him have it regardless ( but spend everything you have if he's real low health or you are ) 7) Super is a last blow resort because Shazam is a meter whore so use only to kill . Sorry for the long post man , I had to be thorough
Could you share his 60% corner combo?

Uber

Noob
Could you share his 60% corner combo?

Thats gotta be his trait combos:

With trait:
-F3, J3, 112, 112, 112xxAC
- 112,112, 112, 112xxAC
-HM MB, dash under, 112, 112, 112xxAC

Or basically anything into 112 loop while traited.

If you dont already have trait on, you should do this off of F3 for optimal damage and to set up traited corner oki:

- F3, D2xxTrait, 112, 112, 112xxAC

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

Can you edit those combos with Damage values on them? Sorry I won't be able to do any training mode for a few days.

poofynamanama2

SHAZAAAAAAAAM
Also if you don't have trait this corner setup works wonders and catches lots of people of guard

f223, 112, 112, 112~trait then immediately MB f3

I've discovered that a lot of people try and wakeups attack to try and punish trait activation

Follow up combo is j3, 112,112,112~AC I think it does 67%. Not too sure I'll have to go into practice
mode and make sure

poofynamanama2

SHAZAAAAAAAAM
Hey guys, I found a way to pretty much eliminate Grundys wakeups, AND launches for a full combo

End any combo in AC, so for example:

f22~HM MB, b3, j2, f223~AC
f22~HM MB, b3, j2, j2, 2~AC
22~HM MB, b3, j2 (walk forward a bit), 2~AC
22~HM MB, b3, dash under, 2~AC (I like doing this better because walking in combos is awkward)
f12~HM MB, b3, j2 (walk), 2~AC
f12, 22~HM MB, b3, j2, 2~AC

Immediately after you touch the ground from AC, do f223. This goes right through Grundy's Walking Corpse AND MB trait grab, which seem to be the most popular wake ups for Grundy players (or atleast the one I play :p). This goes right through both wakeups and launches them and you can do any of shazams follow up combos

f223, 2~HM, b3, j2, 2~AC
f223, 112~AT (easier to connect on shitty connections)

Hope this helps anyone who has trouble with Grundy! I'm gonna be testing this on all character wakeups in the next few days and I'll post a thread if I find anything significant (which I probably won't considering the wakeups have been buffed :( )

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
Which of these characters would you say is the worst MU for Shazam and why exactly? Also, is there a specific way to play against the MU's that are tough?:

Raven
MMH
Killer Frost
Wonder Woman

Uber

Noob
Which of these characters would you say is the worst MU for Shazam and why exactly? Also, is there a specific way to play against the MU's that are tough?:

Raven
MMH
Killer Frost
Wonder Woman
Out of those 4, id say MMH is the worst. Mostly because Shazam cant do much to discourage overhead teleport spam without burning meter on B3.

WW is probably next just because her damage is much better, but that will change with the patch.

Raven and KF dont really give me problems. Raven's wakeups arent great, and KF only has one good wakeup, making it easy to predict and punish with jump back j2

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
Hello Fellow Shazam Players. So what suggestions would you give for the Raven Match up and how do you feel Shazam Fairs in this match up.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
Also if you don't have trait this corner setup works wonders and catches lots of people of guard

f223, 112, 112, 112~trait then immediately MB f3

I've discovered that a lot of people try and wakeups attack to try and punish trait activation

Follow up combo is j3, 112,112,112~AC I think it does 67%. Not too sure I'll have to go into practice
mode and make sure

This is beautiful. You deserve a medal.

Uber

Noob
Not sure if this is known but I just figured it out. Against MMH overhead teleport, you get a pretty good punish. In case you didn't know, overhead teleport can be punished by walking forward and punishing within 8 frames. I previously thought all you could get was D1xxAT for 12%, which sucks. I just realized that since MMH is caught airborne in this situation, Shazam can actually get:
D1xxHM MB, B3, J3, 2xxAC -37%

I am suddenly not so afraid of this move.

KC H0oKsw0rds

iK A B A L
Not sure if this is known but I just figured it out. Against MMH overhead teleport, you get a pretty good punish. In case you didn't know, overhead teleport can be punished by walking forward and punishing within 8 frames. I previously thought all you could get was D1xxAT for 12%, which sucks. I just realized that since MMH is caught airborne in this situation, Shazam can actually get:
D1xxHM MB, B3, J3, 2xxAC -37%

I am suddenly not so afraid of this move.

I just found that out during a set tonight! I was like wtf! I can punish that damn tele! I've also been trying it out against Black Adam's boot stomp with surprisingly promising results.

SaJa

FH_FenriR
What is Shazam best matchups guys ? DD, Bane, Grundy ?

What are his 6-4 mu ?

Do you think Shazam is still th worse char of the game ?

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy

What are his 6-4 mu ?

Shazam breaks even with alot of the cast, his best matchups are no doubt the heavy characters though.
Even with WW in my opinion, but someone would be likely to argue.
He doesn't have alot of "Good matchups" if you want to play Shazam it's all about your own skill as a player.

Reactions: RYX

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor

What are his 6-4 mu ?

Him and Bane go 5-5... Max can't play the MU worth a poo but we do have tech to blow up pretty much every wake-up you guys have :|
But goddamn that level 3 debuff when we get hit with that traited Mb b.3... :(

However, against DD I'd actually say he has it pretty good, and against Grundy I'm kinda in the middle. From what I played its not terrible but you have to have fast reactions. His best MU is probably Grundy because he can get out of the pressure much easier than Grundy can apply it.

Also if you aren't a crab cake like myself and can block DD's earth-shaker, he has it good in that MU too. For some reason the trait hits count towards breaking DD's armor iirc.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
And with grundy it's not as simple as the DD matchup, Grundy is more complex but Shazam has moves that either make grundy's armoured grabs whiff or can be hit out of them.

Reactions: RYX

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Seriously who is Max?
Maxintensity25 is "max" for short. He's our northern non-Canadian Bane and is considered probably one of the top 3 Banes in the world.
Even still though, that doesn't mean he is perfect. Absurdly skilled and handsome, perhaps, but when it comes to the actual knowledge part of it he plays on instinct more than instruction if that makes any sense.

Literally the opposite of me. I know a good amount of MUs inside and out, the tools available, the techs and etc... But I can't perform it.

SmokeMaster

I got no time for whining!!!
I'd throw Wonder Woman, CatWoman, and Joker. Most wouldn't agree with me, but MMH is an even matchup. None of his setups work on him. I feel he's mid tier at best. Not at all the worse character in the game.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
And with grundy it's not as simple as the DD matchup, Grundy is more complex but Shazam has moves that either make grundy's armoured grabs whiff or can be hit out of them.
Simple doesn't equate to good, and imo Shazam just has better tools at his disposal to mess with Grundy than he does with DD. Like the match pacing is a lot easier to control against Grundy and you can keep pressure while evading his while DD and Bane are more of in-and-out.