What's new

Match-up Discussion Shazam Match-Up Discussion

AK Gookus

Slant-eyed Nightwing
I think he's saying he subscribed as well. (As have I, love me some Shazam gameplay)
I wanna see more loops pulled off mid match and how good his cross-up pressure actually is after a sweep/hard knockdown

Block and walk forward. Punish sword flip. Block 50-50s and wait. Don't jump. Tech his attempt to throw you into the corner. Block f3 and then backdash after you block the following move because his frame advantage is ridic. Get a knockdown and body him.

That's the matchup in a nutshell.

NMISM-Grinch

Skrull Queen Pleaser
Block and walk forward. Punish sword flip. Block 50-50s and wait. Don't jump. Tech his attempt to throw you into the corner. Block f3 and then backdash after you block the following move because his frame advantage is ridic. Get a knockdown and body him.

That's the matchup in a nutshell.
I think i'm having major problems due to lag, even small amounts seem to be killing me. I try to Hulk up and walk forward, but when DS's are using short bursts with the rifle, I just seem stuck. I'll have to try against an offline DS soon, luckily I know one, just got to get him to detach himself from his better half for a little while to test.

SmokeMaster

I got no time for whining!!!
I think i'm having major problems due to lag, even small amounts seem to be killing me. I try to Hulk up and walk forward, but when DS's are using short bursts with the rifle, I just seem stuck. I'll have to try against an offline DS soon, luckily I know one, just got to get him to detach himself from his better half for a little while to test.
I feel your pain which is why I quit playing online for awhile now. I feel like everything counts when playing against DS. You have to walk him to the corner and punish every attempt properly when he tries to create space between him and Shazam once you get in. If not, he will chip you to death. I found that online allows DS players to abuse the zoning tactic to no end. It also allows them to use what seems to be unsafe attacks, safe when playing online. It's a tough match-up for Shazam no doubt, but online increases it alot.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
All in all who are his top 3 worst match ups and why?
GL, He has mixups which can be awful if you're trying to cause pressure because you're infact pressured to much. His ring grab kills any attempt for a ji, he can zone Shazam out pretty well if he likes, thanks to his ring grab once again it has way faster start up than HM so he can always beat it.

Batman, Batman is in the air too much for shazam and he doesn't have a very good AA which allows batman to cross over almost always + he has a faster pressure game and can still compete at full screen fairly well.

Nightwing *Staff Stance only* OH BOY .... You're just not touching him....

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
GL, He has mixups which can be awful if you're trying to cause pressure because you're infact pressured to much. His ring grab kills any attempt for a ji, he can zone Shazam out pretty well if he likes, thanks to his ring grab once again it has way faster start up than HM so he can always beat it.

Batman, Batman is in the air too much for shazam and he doesn't have a very good AA which allows batman to cross over almost always + he has a faster pressure game and can still compete at full screen fairly well.

Nightwing *Staff Stance only* OH BOY .... You're just not touching him....
Suppose Batman didn't have bats out, though. Would this make him any less difficult to get in on than say the rest of the cast?

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
Suppose Batman didn't have bats out, though. Would this make him any less difficult to get in on than say the rest of the cast?
Without his trait he'd be alot easier but let's say we#re talking about Top batmans, they aren't easy to play against, they use those bats correctly, even on block they have so much pressure on you.

NMISM-Grinch

Skrull Queen Pleaser
If anybody has some quick words of advise against Batgirl I'd greatly appreciate them, just got blown up at our weekly by one.

SmokeMaster

All I know is teleport is punishable on block. Either that or every Batgirl I played doesn't know how to block. Anyways, learn her high/low strings and next time you'll be fine.

Her b2 is unreactable and leaves you in the same scenario as b1 low. You can't say learn strings and you'll be fine, that's a total copout. You have to realize she punishes all jumps and blows up projectiles free from anywhere. She has safe wakeup invul attack and she has frame traps for days. She also punishes torpedo pretty hard for one bar off rising bat mb. Shazam pretty much has to play perfect cause he can't keep up in damage and he doesn't get a chance to wakeup with her standing reset. Best you can do is try to not vet bodied best you can. I think batgirl just dominates s hazm.

SmokeMaster

I can't say you are wrong or right because I haven't played any computant Batgirl. I do have a really good player in our area who just picked her up. I'll get some games in with him at our next weekly and see what my judgement call is on that one.

NMISM-Grinch

Skrull Queen Pleaser
I appreciate the feedback guys. Well, that damn teleport/bolo crap of her's is freakin awesome. I'm hoping correctly timed Dives/teleports might cause the auto-track to fail, but that's just wishful thinking that hasn't been tested as of yet. Also, I was thinking maybe we can bait it by activating trait, but i'm not sure if the recovery is quick enough to keep Shazam safe. That move SUCKS. What's the proper way to punish it?

You get a 2,2 HM on a blocked teleport. Maybe f2,2 but that'd be a little tighter if possible. 2,2 allows you room for error to still get the punish.

It's near impossible to get the teleport to whiff by doing something because it's so fast. You have to be doing b2 at like, the instant she activates her teleport.

SmokeMaster

I don't know about Batgirls wakeup game though. From what I can tell while practicing against her she falls to the Shazam vortex like everyone else when you score an untechable knockdown. Once you score an untechable knockdown, all Shazam has to do is a ji+2 crossover upon her recovery and she is forced to block. All of her legitimate wakeup attacks get blown up except for maybe the Bat-Evade into Overhead or Super.

Rising Bat beats all jump ins and command throw and makes torpedo whiff. If it hits MB into full combo into standing reset.

If you do crossup torpedo as she inputs rising bat wakeup it option Selects to Bat Wheel and she knocks you down for trying.

Ok so I am a little lost on the batman matchup...

Batman can run away until he has bats. Then he gets a free rush in with bat trait and he usually jump in combos that you can't do anything b/c you're stun blocked. Lots of times he'll end up doing his b23 move which automatically puts him about half screen. then he chucks batarangs and shoots grapple and you get to try to get in but by that time he has more bats up which gives him more safe rushdowns.

Does anyone have any good strategies for getting in on batman?

NMISM-Grinch

Skrull Queen Pleaser
Ok so I am a little lost on the batman matchup...

Batman can run away until he has bats. Then he gets a free rush in with bat trait and he usually jump in combos that you can't do anything b/c you're stun blocked. Lots of times he'll end up doing his b23 move which automatically puts him about half screen. then he chucks batarangs and shoots grapple and you get to try to get in but by that time he has more bats up which gives him more safe rushdowns.

Does anyone have any good strategies for getting in on batman?
I actually feel pretty hard pressed standing close to bats, i personally think this is one of the matchups that chucking lighting and running via teleport making him try to come to you is in your benefit. I also don't play against a lot of them, so this might not be the best tactic lol

I actually feel pretty hard pressed standing close to bats, i personally think this is one of the matchups that chucking lighting and running via teleport making him try to come to you is in your benefit. I also don't play against a lot of them, so this might not be the best tactic lol

Eh, I have to disagree... lightening bolt is so slow and can be ducked, while batarangs are a mid... he can definitely win the chip battle with trait bats + batarangs... and if he somehow hits you with a MB grappling hook, you're toast.

I know the best way to take down batman is to get a knockdown and vortex, as he only has a shitty unsafe slide on wakeup to get out of it... The problem is most batmans only attack with trait on and spend most of their time in the air doing crossups

How are you guys taking the Scorpion MU? personaly I think its pretty good, may even be tilted in SHAZAMs favor
what are you guys using against tele port?
I punish with F12HMmb b3 f223HM 32% because it does the same damage as 22 punish and will not change when hitting him out of the air. some times I end with F223 trait
Thoughts?

How are you guys taking the Scorpion MU? personaly I think its pretty good, may even be tilted in SHAZAMs favor
what are you guys using against tele port?
I punish with F12HMmb b3 f223HM 32% because it does the same damage as 22 punish and will not change when hitting him out of the air. some times I end with F223 trait
Thoughts?

Probably the easiest punish... but why do you end with f223HM? I always go for 2AC for the untechable knockdown and vortex game. From there you can bait his tele or if they throw out a random leg takedown for another combo into AC clutch untechable knockdown.

Is his flip kick invincible on wakeup? In that case maybe use Shazam's mercury teleport tech to make that whiff and punish that. I see no reason not to end with regular AC on every character as it leaves them in position for vortex

Probably the easiest punish... but why do you end with f223HM? I always go for 2AC for the untechable knockdown and vortex game. From there you can bait his tele or if they throw out a random leg takedown for another combo into AC clutch untechable knockdown.

Is his flip kick invincible on wakeup? In that case maybe use Shazam's mercury teleport tech to make that whiff and punish that. I see no reason not to end with regular AC on every character as it leaves them in position for vortex
very good. Im doing this punish now F12HMmb b3 ji3 2 AC 32%, also way closer