What's new

Strategy "Shazam!" -- Captain Marvel General Discussion Thread

Uber

Noob
No, this has been known since month one. You should be able to find vids if you look around. Not super useful, but its an option to keep the opponent guessing.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

pogse

Ruthlesss Mayhem
No, this has been known since month one. You should be able to find vids if you look around. Not super useful, but its an option to keep the opponent guessing.

the vid I saw was after you use a teleport then you could corpse hop. guess I got misinformed.

SaJa

FH_FenriR

Knowing you actually can keep "vortexing" after the torpedo hard knockdown this doesn't look useless at all. With this they have to fear more grab options which will make shazam better.

SZSR

Noob
Yeah this sounds like good tech, if you're forcing your opponent to jump you can get 40% easy on one bar with an A2A combo. And if they stop doing wakeup attacks you can do naked HM on oki.

Uber

Noob
Its not useless, it just isnt a super rewarding option. You cant meaty HM after corpse hopping post AT MB so you lose the vortex. Corpse hopping also does not reverse wakeups like Doomsday in the corner, wakeups just dont come out. This puts shazam up close to mix them up, but Shazams mixup game from that close isnt very good.

You are usually better off just mixing meaty HM with either jump in or teleport to punish wake ups. This can still be a decent option against characters with strong wakeups, when youre afraid to go for oki.

Ravensbaine

Welcome to the Chaos Dimension
I don't know if this is already known i assume it is but Shazam after landing a sweep can dash on top of the opponent and do a neutral jump 2 that has the possibility to cross up or stay on the same side mixing up wake up inputs and making it difficult to tell which side Shazam is on its kinda like a easier to react to version of the Grundy mix up Ive been using it with varying success

pogse

Ruthlesss Mayhem
I don't know if this is already known i assume it is but Shazam after landing a sweep can dash on top of the opponent and do a neutral jump 2 that has the possibility to cross up or stay on the same side mixing up wake up inputs and making it difficult to tell which side Shazam is on its kinda like a easier to react to version of the Grundy mix up Ive been using it with varying success

opponent can actually just hold back and it will never crossup.. if its raw d3.

zoofs

bless
any good shazams want to add me for a mirror sometime? trying to make mine better and would like someone to point out flaws in my play

Uber

Noob
Shazam mirrors arent really good for learning things. Shazam is perfectly equipped to screw up Shazam's offence. In my experience, it ends up degrading into just teleporting, throwing lightning bolts, Torpedos. Oki game gets thrown out the window

zoofs

bless
Shazam mirrors arent really good for learning things. Shazam is perfectly equipped to screw up Shazam's offence. In my experience, it ends up degrading into just teleporting, throwing lightning bolts, Torpedos. Oki game gets thrown out the window

well just someone to play my shazam i guess, doesn't have to be a mirror as long as im not playing one of his worst matchups

warui_ne

Noob
Oh shit..... its uber and panda....remember you guys from 8wr

Ive been playing shazam a lot even though I play half the cast I really like him more than sinestro and dick.
I have been looking into his normals.... hes got some impressive normals f12 is incredibly good its got pretty good reach and frames.
Also im having a lot of luck with b12 ac
Also b1 by itself has amazing frames.

2 is a really solid counter poke / frame trap enforcer as it has good frames too.

Have any of you experimented with canceling strings with teleport? I personally havent tried but im theory crafting a bit.

Uber

Noob
Oh shit..... its uber and panda....remember you guys from 8wr

Ive been playing shazam a lot even though I play half the cast I really like him more than sinestro and dick.
I have been looking into his normals.... hes got some impressive normals f12 is incredibly good its got pretty good reach and frames.
Also im having a lot of luck with b12 ac
Also b1 by itself has amazing frames.

2 is a really solid counter poke / frame trap enforcer as it has good frames too.

Have any of you experimented with canceling strings with teleport? I personally havent tried but im theory crafting a bit.
Hey man, i remember you. Glad to see you're playing injustice too.

Unfortunately, Shazam's normals are actually pretty bad.

F12 is has nice frames, but the first hit is high.

B1 is weak. Same speed as 1, but worse range and the followup string sucks.

22, i dont like much either. The string has problems because it has gaps where can be interrupted. D2 is the same speed as 2, still allows tick throws, and it has more reach than 2.

I pretty much only use b2, d2, f22, d3, and 11 on occasion.

String cancelling into teleport can be decent as an option. I like to cancel b2 into teleport sometimes.

warui_ne

Noob
B1 has massive frame advantage though...

Also i dont use 22 at all just 2. Even though its stubby its advantage on block

I dont get the hype about f22 though that move is slow as hell

Uber

Noob
B1 has massive frame advantage though...

Also i dont use 22 at all just 2. Even though its stubby its advantage on block

I dont get the hype about f22 though that move is slow as hell
All this talk of frames sounds like you are thinking about this game like soul calibur. A little block advantage doesnt do all that much in Injustice. Backdash activates in like 1 frame, so its hard to really lock people down with pokes. Hit advantage doesnt mean the same thing as Soul Calibur either. Landing a move that is +17 on hit doesnt mean the opponent cant block for 17 frames, it just means the opponent cant move or attack for 17 frames.

Besides, i dont even think b1 has that great of frames on block. D1 is pretty much better in every way as a poke.

What you really want out of your strings is the ability to convert into damage. F22 is good because it gives him his most damaging combos and its almost neutral on block. I wish it was faster than i16, but oh well. Shazam is kind of a YOLO character. If you wanna play a meticulous game where you push frame advantage for pressure, try using someone like Superman. Shazam is all about making reads and punishing.

Error

DF2+R2
Some little AA tech.

After landing a D2, you can follow up with J2 D2, which forces the opponent into a fast stand. You can then catch your opponent with a HM regardless of if they're crouching as long as you time it right. The opponent can escape this by tech rolling or waking up if they see it coming(wake-up has to be done earlier than usual), but you can always mix them up by ending with AC instead.

pogse killa_solid Uber @whoever

warui_ne

Noob
All this talk of frames sounds like you are thinking about this game like soul calibur. A little block advantage doesnt do all that much in Injustice. Backdash activates in like 1 frame, so its hard to really lock people down with pokes. Hit advantage doesnt mean the same thing as Soul Calibur either. Landing a move that is +17 on hit doesnt mean the opponent cant block for 17 frames, it just means the opponent cant move or attack for 17 frames.

Besides, i dont even think b1 has that great of frames on block. D1 is pretty much better in every way as a poke.

What you really want out of your strings is the ability to convert into damage. F22 is good because it gives him his most damaging combos and its almost neutral on block. I wish it was faster than i16, but oh well. Shazam is kind of a YOLO character. If you wanna play a meticulous game where you push frame advantage for pressure, try using someone like Superman. Shazam is all about making reads and punishing.

I like b1s frames because it jails into almost anything iirc its +7

I honestly never use F22 its just too slow for me to implement

Uber

Noob
D1 is like +12 on hit and +2 on block though, plus its faster and might have more range. I know, i wish F22 was faster. Its still good for punishes and after jump ins.

Error

DF2+R2
Some little AA tech.

After landing a D2, you can follow up with J2 D2, which forces the opponent into a fast stand. You can then catch your opponent with a HM regardless of if they're crouching as long as you time it right. The opponent can escape this by tech rolling or waking up if they see it coming(wake-up has to be done earlier than usual), but you can always mix them up by ending with AC instead.

pogse killa_solid Uber @whoever
I noticed that if I set the opponent to roll and I AT after the second D2 sometimes I would get a cross-up AT, although I couldn't work out the timing for it.

Hi guys! A friend of mine who is a fellow Shazam main made a video regarding one of the most annoying heroes to fight against. Check it out when you have the time!

warui_ne

Noob
D1 is like +12 on hit and +2 on block though, plus its faster and might have more range. I know, i wish F22 was faster. Its still good for punishes and after jump ins.

F12 is still his best normal imo even though the first his is high.
Its got good range and you can hit confirm it into f12 mbf3