What's new

SFxT Discussion Thread

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
Steve is giving me a headache, The amount thinking I have to do just pull of his links and combos is overwhelming me. He's the funnest character in the game by far for me atm though, so I'm gonna stick it out. :)

xiaoyu is definitely going to be on my team, hwoarang was somewhat dissapointing. whats a good mixup rushdown character in this game? right now im experimenting with jin and raven looks cool to me also.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Ravens mixups are dry tbh, but he has lots of screen control and is very manouverable, and when he hits he hits like a truck, just takes alot of excecution to reach his decent damage.

Nina is a good rushdown character, she seems really solid atm.

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
Ravens mixups are dry tbh, but he has lots of screen control and is very manouverable, and when he hits he hits like a truck, just takes alot of excecution to reach his decent damage.

I think Raven is probably one of the best characters in the game (behind rufus). His execution isn't really that difficult either, the special cancels take about 30 minutes to get down and the reward is unreal.

Ima stick with jin I think, I might experiment a bit with raven. ive seen a pretty good hwoarang from chrisg, maybe I need to experiment some more with him also.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Yeah the dash cancel stuff isnt too bad once you get it really, its still very easy to mess up mid combo and lose 200 damage that you should have got though...

Hes probably A or S tier without a doubt, i just feel once you learn where to block and counter/reversal his mixups he hasnt got much left to work with, except unsafe mixups and no real advantage in strings outside the corner. Obviously you can be conditioned not to do anything which is why hes quite scary up close, he has no real defensive options either other than teleporting himself to the corner, which is always ....great.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Ima stick with jin I think, I might experiment a bit with raven. ive seen a pretty good hwoarang from chrisg, maybe I need to experiment some more with him also.
Jin reminds me so much of Reptile. Really solid wakeup offense with orbs and numerous ways to land untechable knockdowns and the special step is comparable to dash.

So after playing against some friends (im still avoiding rank online for now) I have to change my impression of Julia.

She is solid... BUT she has an extremely hard time opening up a player. All her mids are really obvious and telegraphed. The only good mid is the qcf+hp but that is only in certain situations. So basically if you downback her all day, she has trouble doing dmg. She has some solid normals, but no reversal. Her dp+K is throwable...which is lol? Shes good at midrange, but outside that I think she is mediocre for now.

Lili on the otherhand still godlike. Good dmg, good mixup, and good punishes. (air) qcf+kk is soo good at punishing whiff attacks and so many ways around fireballs.

Jin reminds me so much of Reptile. Really solid wakeup offense with orbs and numerous ways to land untechable knockdowns and the special step is comparable to dash.
Whut he could wakeup with orbs!? my friend plays akuma and he always jumps in on me. and that special step is a pain in the ass, does anybody have a shortcut input for that, I cant seem to pull it off in combos. Im so sad that my ae characters sakura(not yet) and yang arent in the game:(

Btw what are your thoughts on the tier list they released?

Ken, Ryu, Raven

A+++
Rufus, Akuma, Rolento, Juri, Chun-Li, Guile

A
Poison, Kazuya, Sagat, Law, Vega, Zangief, M. Bison, Hwoarang, Ogre, Abel, Lili, Heihachi, Julia, Cammy, Dhalsim, Hugo, Ibuki

B
Asuka, Balrog, Bob, Jin, King, Kuma, Marduk, Nina, Xiaoyu

C
Paul

D
Yoshimitsu

Its a damn shame jin and xiaoyu are that low. Im gonna go with jin and hwoarang for now. And I just hate ken and ryu, especially ken, damn they keep haunting me.

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
I think Ryu is better than Ken, his fireball cancels make his footsies even better than they already are. Agree with Raven, I think King and Jin should be A tier.

I need to find a good point character to go with steve, someone who doesn't rely on meter and builds it fairly well for steve to take advantage of, but I got no idea who. Any suggestions? :(

Garasky

Noob
I have a question. Is MK9's combo system extremely lenient compare to other fighting games? At least I find the BnB timing not hard to grasp and the combo system fairly easy to learn. I can do 35%-40% consistently with any characters within hr of playing.

I know in order to be good at something it takes time and practice, but my world shattered as I tested out SFxTekken recently and wasn't able to pull off a cr.mk, cr. mk, cr. hk 3 hit combos consistently.

Another game i popped in my PS3 just for fun is MKvsDC ... many say it is a preview for MK9 but I find the timing for combos difficult to grasp as well.

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
Links like the one you mentioned have varying degress of difficulty and even possibility depending on the character. Juggles, Strings and Chain combos are just as easy as the ones in MK imo. Some characters like Steve and Raven take a bit of time to get a grasp of their juggles if you aren't great at execution, but characters like Heihachi and Hugo are probably up your street.

I have a question. Is MK9's combo system extremely lenient compare to other fighting games? At least I find the BnB timing not hard to grasp and the combo system fairly easy to learn. I can do 35%-40% consistently with any characters within hr of playing.

I know in order to be good at something it takes time and practice, but my world shattered as I tested out SFxTekken recently and wasn't able to pull off a cr.mk, cr. mk, cr. hk 3 hit combos consistently.

Another game i popped in my PS3 just for fun is MKvsDC ... many say it is a preview for MK9 but I find the timing for combos difficult to grasp as well.
Mk combos are a lot easier, but at the same time mk has some characters who have a bit of a higher execution barrier compared to others. but street fighter has some crazy 1/2 frame links combos you need to spend days on to master.

Garasky

Noob
Links like the one you mentioned have varying degress of difficulty and even possibility depending on the character. Juggles, Strings and Chain combos are just as easy as the ones in MK imo. Some characters like Steve and Raven take a bit of time to get a grasp of their juggles if you aren't great at execution, but characters like Heihachi and Hugo are probably up your street.
Thnx I"ll look into those characters!

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Mk combos are a lot easier, but at the same time mk has some characters who have a bit of a higher execution barrier compared to others. but street fighter has some crazy 1/2 frame links combos you need to spend days on to master.
I wouldn't say days...they aren't THAT hard. It may take a good 10-15 minutes to get most of the links down.

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker
try lili man she builds meter like a god cr. mk can give you really good damage on a punish and she can sunflower dance over the opponent on knockdown for 50/50's not to mention she has great air to air game, and a dive kick and the best dp in the game. the only problem with lili i can see is that she needs to be close to get max damage like meaty cr. mk range. her or juri may be nice since juri's biggest setback is not having a reversal but she can counter her way out or ex pinwheel, but for the most part you will be ok. not to mention she gets damge pretty frequently and her fireball hold and release combos do damage and frametrap on block, she also has ambiguous cross-ups with her cr.hp jump cancel by doing jp. hp you can choose to either corss the opponent up or stay in front by timing the opponents recovery state from the attack allowing you to keep pressure and set up another mix-up hope that helped rampage

try lili man she builds meter like a god cr. mk can give you really good damage on a punish and she can sunflower dance over the opponent on knockdown for 50/50's not to mention she has great air to air game, and a dive kick and the best dp in the game. the only problem with lili i can see is that she needs to be close to get max damage like meaty cr. mk range. her or juri may be nice since juri's biggest setback is not having a reversal but she can counter her way out or ex pinwheel, but for the most part you will be ok. not to mention she gets damge pretty frequently and her fireball hold and release combos do damage and frametrap on block, she also has ambiguous cross-ups with her cr.hp jump cancel by doing jp. hp you can choose to either corss the opponent up or stay in front by timing the opponents recovery state from the attack allowing you to keep pressure and set up another mix-up hope that helped rampage
Best dp in the game? What is that? Angel knee? you mean the move that is totally whiffs on crouch? or Andante?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Btw what are your thoughts on the tier list they released?

Ken, Ryu, Raven

A+++
Rufus, Akuma, Rolento, Juri, Chun-Li, Guile

A
Poison, Kazuya, Sagat, Law, Vega, Zangief, M. Bison, Hwoarang, Ogre, Abel, Lili, Heihachi, Julia, Cammy, Dhalsim, Hugo, Ibuki

B
Asuka, Balrog, Bob, Jin, King, Kuma, Marduk, Nina, Xiaoyu

C
Paul

D
Yoshimitsu
Incredibly too early for a tier list. But I agree with Paul being Low Tier. I tried to main him but it's just not happening, lol.

Btw, anyone have this on XBL? I need to play you guys.

wtf they think Hugo's only A? i consider him A+ at LEAST right now
Both hugo and relento will drop in tiers as time goes on. Hugo is pretty much getting the sentinel stardom in mvc3 vanilla.

Also my contenders atm for top tier is
Kazuya, Jin, Ryu, Juri, Nina, Chun li, and Rufus.

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
Both hugo and relento will drop in tiers as time goes on. Hugo is pretty much getting the sentinel stardom in mvc3 vanilla.

Also my contenders atm for top tier is
Kazuya, Jin, Ryu, Juri, Nina, Chun li, and Rufus.
hugo doesnt need gems, he can get 50% off a cr.mp punish, crouching medium into clap is safe and a blockstring, he has the highest health in the game, foolproof anti airs, fantastic armour move and works well on ANY team. i dont see how hugo isnt top right now, Ryu/Hugo is a dumb team.