What's new

Scorpion General Discussion

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
@da800don Was his stand 2 actually nerfed too? I thought it was negative but only slightly negative before. I don't think it was plus but I could be very wrong.

@Juggs At least exAirSpear still works for now...

Now that Cyrax is dead we'll have to see if people still upplay Scorp's chip damage as him having viability...

Can somebody who didn't main Scorpion/Scorpion see if their combos were nerfed as well? I wanna know if the 20 less damage I'm seeing is purely from nerfing his kameo or if the base character also got a damage scaling nerf to something?

And of course, not even the Scorp Kameo is allowed to be viable, smh.

Thingy

Retired account
Yo they fucking nerfed Scorpion! What in the fuck are these morons thinking? His j12 now is completely different, and you can’t do j12 xx EX TP, as the EX TP after j12 no longer connects. Why in the FUCK would they nerf Scorpion of all characters?

I was afraid of shit like this happening once I found out they nerfed Sub-Zero from the beta.

Welp, the trend of Scorpion always getting unnecessarily nerfed in early balance patches continues, smfh.
NRS is actually weird AF for always shitting on Scorpion. No idea what the deal is with their obsession with nerfing mid tier characters

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I’m sure you can get something cooler off of this, but pre-patch I realized you could get a Cyrax upwards kopter chopper after bf2. It actually seems to behave a bit different after the patch but of course still works. With minimal labbing, I got a 36% meterless using it as an ender.

I kept trying to go for a more impractical, longer combo that starts with f32, but the timing is suuuper strict and after about an hour or so of trying the same exact combo I gave up. I got all the way to the end of it where I end it with bf2 into Cyrax upwards kopter chopper like you see above, but could not get the followup bf2. Reason being is that upwards kopter chopper is inconsistent as in where it throws the opponent. And you have VERY little time to actually do the bf2 since you have to wait until they’re just passing over your head. It was a 2 bar 45% but with the final bf2 I’m thinking it could be around at leasts 48%. Not really worth it but it looks cool lol.

Oh and after bf2 connects, Scorpion takes a surprisingly long time to actually recover. Pre-patch it was actually quicker to call Cyrax early, which would knock Scorpion down, and then you’d get up and be able to move/press buttons faster than you would if he recovered naturally. Post-patch it’s actually harder to get Cyrax to interrupt Scorpion’s bf2 to where it knocks him down/out of it, but it IS possible. But again, it felt inconsistent. They did some weird shit to this game in the patch it feels like (like changing his jumping 12 for whatever reason) ¯\(ツ)

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
The inconsistencies of the upward Cyrax kopter in combos was why I never really clicked with him as a kameo over like Scorpion. The problem with Scorpion is he doesn't add much to your tool kit with the overhead being slow and a summon not an ambush.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
The inconsistencies of the upward Cyrax kopter in combos was why I never really clicked with him as a kameo over like Scorpion. The problem with Scorpion is he doesn't add much to your tool kit with the overhead being slow and a summon not an ambush.
Yeah I really think Kameo Scorpion’s overhead should either be an ambush (super buff), or it can stay a summon but just make it significantly faster. Also would like his get back spear thing to have a similar buff. Either be an ambush or make it significantly faster startup.

Also, Since Hellfire was nerfed (hitstun was nerfed from 94 to 75 because Scorpion DEFINITELY needed to be nerfed), been using a different strat that can still utilize Kameo Scorpion’s overhead. But I’m genuinely afraid to share it publicly because if Scorpion has anything even remotely usable, not even “good”, just usable, he’s subject to getting it nerfed. So, aside from little cool somewhat impractical stuff like above, probably done sharing Scorpion tech for awhile. Just gonna stick to MU tech… maybe, who knows, maybe MU specific shit will get nerfed too ¯\(ツ)

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
Yeah I really think Kameo Scorpion’s overhead should either be an ambush (super buff), or it can stay a summon but just make it significantly faster. Also would like his get back spear thing to have a similar buff. Either be an ambush or make it significantly faster startup.

Also, Since Hellfire was nerfed (hitstun was nerfed from 94 to 75 because Scorpion DEFINITELY needed to be nerfed), been using a different strat that can still utilize Kameo Scorpion’s overhead. But I’m genuinely afraid to share it publicly because if Scorpion has anything even remotely usable, not even “good”, just usable, he’s subject to getting it nerfed. So, aside from little cool somewhat impractical stuff like above, probably done sharing Scorpion tech for awhile. Just gonna stick to MU tech… maybe, who knows, maybe MU specific shit will get nerfed too ¯\(ツ)
Wait do you mean Hellfire variation nerf in MKX or his low hellfire in this game got stealth nerfed?? I knew the Kameo got damage significantly nerfed and regen speed if used twice in a combo.

they nerfed scorpion's hellfire? that wasn't even in the notes was it? so they just nerfing scorpion for funsies? man fuck nrs

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
@spidey300 Did they actually nerf his low hellfire in this game? I was asking because I wasn't sure if @Juggs meant the Hellfire variation in MK11 which was kind of (begrudgingly) necessary.

I am actually mad. I have never been this angry with a character like now. All the cast have mids or some type of mix ups except scorpion. I have never in my mk life seen a character with no low, overhead or mid. His teleport can't be done on reaction. No good frames. What Is this character really? Is he finished? How did nrs thought this character is good compared to the others.

Gito666

Ninjas > Special Forces
I never even understood the point of kameo scorp's defensive spear... is it to get away and whiff punish? Why not just backdash? Block string pressure into full-screen zoning? That doesn't seem like it would benefit any specific character in this game... I'm not sure it would even gain any utility if it were an ambush instead of a summon

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I never even understood the point of kameo scorp's defensive spear... is it to get away and whiff punish? Why not just backdash? Block string pressure into full-screen zoning? That doesn't seem like it would benefit any specific character in this game... I'm not sure it would even gain any utility if it were an ambush instead of a summon
It’s to get you out of pressure and gives you a hit of armor. But it’s waay too slow and it’s a summon, which makes it even slower. Its uses are fairly limited tbh. Unless someone finds something insane with it which I highly doubt, but I suppose anything is possible.

rifraf

Noob
Hello fellow Scorpion enthusiasts! I'm new to the world of the Spectre and there are some things I've noticed while I'm in the process of learning him. Please excuse me if I say something stupid and please feel free to correct me, these are my initial observations.
  1. I'm not sure why Scorpion doesn't have any mid buttons outside his f3. His standing 3 and/or standing 4 should be mids.
  2. Complete lack of overheads. Again, I don't understand why. His db2 looks like an overhead to me, might as well function as one. His teleport as well.
  3. His air teleport is not tracking during combos. It's purely horizontal?? What am I missing here? lol
  4. Some aerial attacks can't connect to anything. His air 112, air 114. What are they suppose to be? Also, his air grab is now tied to a string?
Very kool character, very flashy!

He needs an overhead. Every other character can find a decent way in with a mixup. The farther I get in Kombat League the harder it is to open someone up because Scorpion has zero mixups. Blocking low negates just about everything he offers. Even some mids or a low starter would help. He needs a slight buff to compete. Nothing crazy because I think he’s already a strong character. But he’s missing something here.

rifraf

Noob
He needs an overhead. Every other character can find a decent way in with a mixup. The farther I get in Kombat League the harder it is to open someone up because Scorpion has zero mixups. Blocking low negates just about everything he offers. Even some mids or a low starter would help. He needs a slight buff to compete. Nothing crazy because I think he’s already a strong character. But he’s missing something here.
Personally, I consider character options under quality of life for the player. I understand it also corelates to the character's power lvl but that's not my argument here. All characters should have some fundamental options/tools imo. If you're balancing around removing these fundamental options then I say it's a questionable design choice.

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
Ultimately I think he’s not a strong character, actually one of the lower end of the roster - he has a few really strong buttons that put up a bit of a facade, like 2, b2, b3 - but pretty much the whole roster has buttons that shine and more. Scorpion used to put a chip timer on people with cyrax to actually force them to move and approach you, but now that gameplan doesn’t really exist anymore and will continue to become less viable as people start flawless blocking more and more.

Last edited:
I still think he’s low tier but strong. If that makes sense. You gotta sweat hard to compete with players who are probably relaxed AF while playing me. If you add some decent mixups to his game I think he’d be A+. He does have pretty weak specials aside from the spear. His teleport could use a little retooling and nerfing his hellfire is absolutely stupid. Maybe you guys are right. Idk I have mush brain from playing him right now. I need help lol.

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
Um no, I meant they nerfed his bf4 in this game, MK1.
Wow. Seriously, wtf? I haven't played in a bit to notice but it barely had hitstun before. You sure as hell couldn't do anything crazy with it. NRS seriously hates this character.

da800don

Noob
Update: I’ve been playing him with striker. Adding strikers overhead to the 2 1 string can mix some opponents up. Also, his grenades keeps a lot of things safe as they can be executed whiles executing the specials. In that sense, it can replace cyraxs spin, even though the chip damage is very very minimal. For aggressive opponents who like to pressure, back 3 keeps ppl guessing. They’re expecting scorpion to keep throwing out spears and most ppl know that Scorpion doesn’t have any mixups so most ppl are very care free in just walking in on scorpion. Back 3 will make them think twice and will disrupt wakeups every now and then. Another tip: switch up your style mid game. Play conservative and counter attack, then switch to aggressive with the mixups and grabs. This will really fk with ppl.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Update: I’ve been playing him with striker. Adding strikers overhead to the 2 1 string can mix some opponents up. Also, his grenades keeps a lot of things safe as they can be executed whiles executing the specials. In that sense, it can replace cyraxs spin, even though the chip damage is very very minimal. For aggressive opponents who like to pressure, back 3 keeps ppl guessing. They’re expecting scorpion to keep throwing out spears and most ppl know that Scorpion doesn’t have any mixups so most ppl are very care free in just walking in on scorpion. Back 3 will make them think twice and will disrupt wakeups every now and then. Another tip: switch up your style mid game. Play conservative and counter attack, then switch to aggressive with the mixups and grabs. This will really fk with ppl.
I made a thread to discuss Kameo specific things for Scorpion: https://testyourmight.com/threads/kameos-with-scorpion-discussion.75030/

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
So any stealth nerfs (or buffs, lol) for Scorpion in this patch discovered yet? I know it's early but they worked a few in to the last one.