What's new

Scorpion General Discussion

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
I've been thinking that but stuff like frost low freeze is super unsafe if blocked and against certain characters I normally dont wanna take such a big risk. maybe i'll give it a try
Frost Low Freeze is certainly not something to throw out recklessly but if you catch them over focused on blocking your high/mids you can really mess them up. Alot of people I've been matched against seem to barely look for Scorpion's nearly non-existent low game. And risk? We're Scorpion players brother:
"We knew the risks when we accepted this mission"
(Sidenote: Everytime I've heard/read someone say that to another character who just lost someone my instinctive response is, "Was... was that supposed to console me or just piss me off more?" lol)

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
Have you tried that same combo with the other strings before spear like 2,1; 3,3; or even just 4xSpear or B2xSpear? I feel like one of those might do more than 1,2 if possible. The 4xSpear seems to do the most in short combos when I can get it. The scaling is less I think.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Anti Baraka Tech. Baraka+Cyrax players love to do this in neutral because they essentially get in for free and can do chip damage. But Scorpion can easily anti air him out of this setup

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
The more I play with sektor the more I think he's scorp's best kameo. Up rocket gives so much damage and utility, and charges pretty quick.

I also just learned you can combo off of up rocket / forward throw in the corner, and it pretty much matches up perfectly with the timing of f3 into throw / f3xxdb2 to stay safe.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
The more I play with sektor the more I think he's scorp's best kameo. Up rocket gives so much damage and utility, and charges pretty quick.

I also just learned you can combo off of up rocket / forward throw in the corner, and it pretty much matches up perfectly with the timing of f3 into throw / f3xxdb2 to stay safe.
Well record some Scorp+Sektor gameplay. Combos and setups and what not. I feel like I’m the only one posting any footage in the Scorpion subforum lol

wsj515

Well record some Scorp+Sektor gameplay. Combos and setups and what not. I feel like I’m the only one posting any footage in the Scorpion subforum lol
:laughing: fair enough, feels like most character forums are doing a bad job of posting stuff. Scorp/sektor basically does what Scorp/cyrax does by keeping db2 safe and chipping/building meter (and enabling f3 to be an actual button you can use to strike/throw w/ f3 throw or f3xxdb2) while also giving him more damage and access to restand enders from 21 and s1.

Here's a clip showing hit confirming either db2 on block (safe) or bf4 on hit, rocket timing the same for both. I kept the combo meterless / pretty basic but fully cashed out on sektor to show that 3(uprocket)3xxbf4 also combos and is great for eeking out more damage if you really want to spend the kameo bar.

2(uprocket)1xxbf4 f34 f34 f34 4xxbf1 3(uprocket)3xxbf4 33xxdb2

12 doesn't combo into db4 at all, but you can still get a restand combo off of s1 using s1xx(sektor tele-punch) into whatever.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
:laughing: fair enough, feels like most character forums are doing a bad job of posting stuff. Scorp/sektor basically does what Scorp/cyrax does by keeping db2 safe and chipping/building meter (and enabling f3 to be an actual button you can use to strike/throw w/ f3 throw or f3xxdb2) while also giving him more damage and access to restand enders from 21 and s1.

Here's a clip showing hit confirming either db2 on block (safe) or bf4 on hit, rocket timing the same for both. I kept the combo meterless / pretty basic but fully cashed out on sektor to show that 3(uprocket)3xxbf4 also combos and is great for eeking out more damage if you really want to spend the kameo bar.

2(uprocket)1xxbf4 f34 f34 f34 4xxbf1 3(uprocket)3xxbf4 33xxdb2

12 doesn't combo into db4 at all, but you can still get a restand combo off of s1 using s1xx(sektor tele-punch) into whatever.
Ah you’re on xbox, and that link doesn’t work for me, says not compatible or something.

wsj515

Ah you’re on xbox, and that link doesn’t work for me, says not compatible or something.
Weird it's not working for me either, definitely was before. I'm probably being an idiot but I always have such a hard time sharing clips from xbox - try this:

if you got hot spot as a walkway taunt i suggest you take it off. you want your walkaway taunts to distance you round start as much as possible. might be some kind of walkaway taunt meta. just a silly piece of tech I guess
I was thinking the same thing when I played Raiden and got that taunt where he walks almost full screen tossing the amulet lol. Crazy how there'll be optimal Taunts to equip

I was thinking the same thing when I played Raiden and got that taunt where he walks almost full screen tossing the amulet lol. Crazy how there'll be optimal Taunts to equip
it was like something just clicked. its mk and round start interactions are usually pretty degenerate so how can i fix that

I'm honestly really feeling like scorpion might be his best assist. it's honestly necessary you have a way to convert off b3. sneaking in the assist overhead don't hurt either.

wsj515

I'm honestly really feeling like scorpion might be his best assist. it's honestly necessary you have a way to convert off b3. sneaking in the assist overhead don't hurt either.
idk, I think not having a way to make b3 or db2 safe leaves some holes in the character. Both Cyrax and Sektor do that, with Cyrax also allowing you to convert off b3 occasionally and giving the chip/neutral reset after db2, while Sektor giving you access to a ton of additional damage off any combo path and the ability to use a restand combo path from a 21 punish.

Without having a way to make db2 safe, f3 becomes a way less valuable/threatening button since they know they can pretty much always just poke after, but if you can threaten a cancel into a safe db2, all of a sudden you can actually start to do some not-so-gimmicky strike/throw stuff and stagger pressure.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Scorpion Kameo is what I’ve been using the most. I’ve tried out Cyrax and Rax is obviously still really good especially for the safeness he provides, but that’s honestly the only advantage it has over Scorp Kameo. Being able to get a full combo off of b3 is HUGE.

idk, I think not having a way to make b3 or db2 safe leaves some holes in the character. Both Cyrax and Sektor do that, with Cyrax also allowing you to convert off b3 occasionally and giving the chip/neutral reset after db2, while Sektor giving you access to a ton of additional damage off any combo path and the ability to use a restand combo path from a 21 punish.

Without having a way to make db2 safe, f3 becomes a way less valuable/threatening button since they know they can pretty much always just poke after, but if you can threaten a cancel into a safe db2, all of a sudden you can actually start to do some not-so-gimmicky strike/throw stuff and stagger pressure.
cyrax is still a good assist for scorpion but if someone is doing b3 and getting punished for it then they're not doing it at the right ranges unless it's against like maybe a handful of characters. in my case some people have smartened up and either flawless block in between the db2 or take the last hit of db2 to not eat the chip. i get out how useful the cyrax is but now it's like your game has devolved into db2 and making your opponent block until you win/waiting for cyrax assist to come back. I'd rather just not even play the game at that point but that's just me.

wsj515

cyrax is still a good assist for scorpion but if someone is doing b3 and getting punished for it then they're not doing it at the right ranges unless it's against like maybe a handful of characters. in my case some people have smartened up and either flawless block in between the db2 or take the last hit of db2 to not eat the chip. i get out how useful the cyrax is but now it's like your game has devolved into db2 and making your opponent block until you win/waiting for cyrax assist to come back. I'd rather just not even play the game at that point but that's just me.
I'd say a non-negligible amount of the cast can reversal punish b3 (a number of meta picks at that), but even if its not punished a blocked b3 means they get in your face for free, which is a huge problem for scorp especially if you don't have anything to help f3 actually be a button. Having an ambush to call to provide an extra level of safety/screen control is insanely helpful - can stop them from moving forward after a blocked b3 or dissuading them from trying to jump it.

Cyrax's chip is nice, but I think its best trait is that it pushes the opponent back out the range where we can threaten s2. Sektor doesn't have the same "reset neutral" panic button, but does give you similar safety, plus a huge amount of additional damage off pretty much anything and utility.

bmoee1

Noob
Scorpion Kameo is what I’ve been using the most. I’ve tried out Cyrax and Rax is obviously still really good especially for the safeness he provides, but that’s honestly the only advantage it has over Scorp Kameo. Being able to get a full combo off of b3 is HUGE.

you can still get a full combo with one bar, off b3 with cyrax at closer ranges.. cyrax also can make it safe, depending on the matchup. The execution is wierd, but I get it all the time with some practice. Cyrax just seems like the better play overall

I'd say a non-negligible amount of the cast can reversal punish b3 (a number of meta picks at that), but even if its not punished a blocked b3 means they get in your face for free, which is a huge problem for scorp especially if you don't have anything to help f3 actually be a button. Having an ambush to call to provide an extra level of safety/screen control is insanely helpful - can stop them from moving forward after a blocked b3 or dissuading them from trying to jump it.

Cyrax's chip is nice, but I think its best trait is that it pushes the opponent back out the range where we can threaten s2. Sektor doesn't have the same "reset neutral" panic button, but does give you similar safety, plus a huge amount of additional damage off pretty much anything and utility.
well if you're picking scorpion vs the meta then you've already lost :DOGE but really a well spaced b3 leaves you safe majority of the time and I just want to do more than bait and punish. I don't like playing footsies which is why mkx scorpion will always be my favorite version of him. just the amount of times I land b3 in neutral and convert off that it's just more appealing to me and then it makes them want to jump so that's free anti airs

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
you can still get a full combo with one bar, off b3 with cyrax at closer ranges.. cyrax also can make it safe, depending on the matchup. The execution is wierd, but I get it all the time with some practice. Cyrax just seems like the better play overall
Yeah he probably is but I just have more fun using Scorpion Kameo. But I’m learning both Kameos and I’m also gonna test out others. Also, his get back spear move is a bit underused imo. It gives you armor and can get you out of a lot of bad situations. The biggest issue with it is that it’s useless a lot of the time. Like if you’re in the corner or your back is to the edge of the screen, etc.

Anyway, I’m really excited about the DLC Kameos. Hoping they’re really good and can provide more variety not just for Scorpion but for every character. It gets a bit old after awhile seeing Cyrax 80% of the time, then the other 20% seeing KL, Jax, Sub, and Sareena.

wsj515

well if you're picking scorpion vs the meta then you've already lost :DOGE but really a well spaced b3 leaves you safe majority of the time and I just want to do more than bait and punish. I don't like playing footsies which is why mkx scorpion will always be my favorite version of him. just the amount of times I land b3 in neutral and convert off that it's just more appealing to me and then it makes them want to jump so that's free anti airs
I know you're joking but I'm not having too much trouble with the meta picks outside of maybe a strong Johnny which seems to be a particularly bad MU.

Ultimately you should play what you want/what you find fun, but I'd think the Scorpion kameo pick would be counter to what you're actually trying to do with him - seems to me like Scorp kameo helps convert / give additional damage on punishes, where's there's a number of other options that give you more offense, like Sektor/Jax/Cyrax. If you're not trying to play neutral/footsies at all though, I'm not really sure how you're playing this iteration of Scorpion.

I know you're joking but I'm not having too much trouble with the meta picks outside of maybe a strong Johnny which seems to be a particularly bad MU.

Ultimately you should play what you want/what you find fun, but I'd think the Scorpion kameo pick would be counter to what you're actually trying to do with him - seems to me like Scorp kameo helps convert / give additional damage on punishes, where's there's a number of other options that give you more offense, like Sektor/Jax/Cyrax. If you're not trying to play neutral/footsies at all though, I'm not really sure how you're playing this iteration of Scorpion.
yeah man it was a joke. that's just how fighting games are when you don't play the top. just work a little harder.

what I want to play is scorpion and while it is annoying sometimes I still find him somewhat fun. even with those assists you pointed out they're not really meant for just breaking people up and landing the hit; maybe just taking advantage of mistakes they make. with scorpion assist I can at least land something in neutral at random and get a full combo. sometimes scorpion assist overhead lands and I get another full combo. I don't like neutral/footsies but I love scorpion. loved scorpion since the beginning. scorpion main til I die. it just is what it is and he's at least still somewhat fun outside of some flaws. I've been having success in general just on overall fighting game experience alone.