What's new

Scorpion General Discussion

Damn Scorpion seems really strong to me the more I play him.
At least compared to Skarlet and Shao Kahn.

f+3 is insane as a whiff punisher and to condition the fuck out of people with staggering it into throw/sweep/overhead/f+4,2 or just letting it rip with 3 (or 2 if you see them crouch blocking it all the time).
Couple the above with the krushing blow on forward throw and shit gets really real.

Talking about krushing blows, it's great that Scorpion doesn't have any bullshit kbs that only trigger once every one hundred years when the stars align. Every single one is practical and leads to big damage.

Lastly I love how simple his combos are and how much freedom they give you to react to what's happening in the fight.
Wanna put the opponent in the corner? End the combo with teleport or spear.
Wanna have some space to get burning spear off unpunished? 2,1,2 ender.
Wanna keep them in front of you and put them into instant okizeme? 2, 1, 2+3 or air throw ender.

Pretty good character in both variations. Humongous damage with burning spear and terrifying neutral with hellport cancel.

Last edited:
I just noticed that they nerfed misery blade again and now the defense bar takes more time to regenerate. While Jacqui has cancels for all her strings for free

Shirakani

BBQ on Scorpion's head
Misery Blade is still fine. You only really need to spend the defense bar to GTFO of dodge if you really screw up or if someone just isn't eating the mix. Jacqui may be able to cancel her shit for free but I doubt she's safe after all of them. Misery Blade is still at least completely safe no matter what option you take.

A lot of ppl still have no idea how to handle Misery Blade pressure too. If you start off say B14 xx MB... 3 (poke) into d1 xx MB... high or low... then d4 xx MB... 3 etc etc... basically keep cancelling into MB they usually get impatient and try to punish it w/o realizing MB cannot be punished.

Now if they were to do something stupid like make the MB followups unsafe, then we're going to have a serious talk NRS...

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Is there a BnB list for Reborn (1st) variation? Everything I see is for var. 2.
Idk if there’s any specific combos for Reborn, other than maybe air throw enders. Just do the b14 starter into tp amp ji3 tp amp f3 spear or something like that.

Shirakani

BBQ on Scorpion's head
Idk if there’s any specific combos for Reborn, other than maybe air throw enders. Just do the b14 starter into tp amp ji3 tp amp f3 spear or something like that.
You know, I've actually been wondering if cancelling Hellport puts you at plus frames enough to link into another move, or if its just enough to reset the situation to neutral...

Btw you get more damage with 2 teleports even with the 2nd variation. So if I want to burn 2 offensive meters I do that way.
And if I use 1 bar I do F3, 11xx spear to get a fairly consistent BnB (F3, F32 works too for a bit more)... it is also good for both variations.
Bnb ender can be differetn: 212+4 or 112...

Without that mid, Scorpion would be mid... tier. It’s good but not broken.
I think Cassie has better stagger from 9F MID (F41). :)

Scorpion has no real other stagger option I think (S2, 21 is plus so you can do it but it is rather frame trap). Without that it would be kind of linear footsies game where he is not superior. So all in all with all tools he has it is strong.
You take one of his tools it will be missing very much.

What makes F3 good stagger is not just the recovery and the -2 but the threat of F32 and krushing blow F34. So he is built around that threat. And he is more grappler than in MKX (ninjutsu).
You remove that... you change the whole concept of Scorpion.

BOONS Main., that's a tournament variation?

I set all of my characters to the tournament variation but I don't recall one of them being called "BOON'S MAIN" for Scorpion. Am I doing this wrong?
It’s the tournament variation with air throw and teleport cancel. Don’t know the official name, so I use the beta name lol.

HAMMER

Noob
It’s the tournament variation with air throw and teleport cancel. Don’t know the official name, so I use the beta name lol.
Yep. Guess they changed the name. This one is supposed to be better than the one that spear special move where he lashes the whips around like Takeda?

Yep. Guess they changed the name. This one is supposed to be better than the one that spear special move where he lashes the whips around like Takeda?
My bad man I hate when people don’t elaborate, so I’ll put respect on your name lol.

I feel that “Reborn” is better strictly because of his teleport cancel. Great for counter-zoning, whiff punishing opportunities, bypasses neutral. He gets an extra KB with Air throw but it ain’t all that great.

This isn’t to say that “Searing Rage” is bad, because it’s damn good. However, once they respect the overhead on f32 your offense takes a major hit. Not to mention you’re getting boned with a full combo punish lol.

Here's that footage of his Reborn variation bro. Notice how I immediately establish the throw and TP cancel. Both will force your opponent to press buttons, which open up whiff punishing. Also, I like to base his offense around f3. Tick throw, Walk back, Poke, Finish the string, etc.

I always forget about the F. Throw Krushing Blow because I have the option enabled where you have to hold the button down lol.

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.

Here's that footage of his Reborn variation bro. Notice how I immediately establish the throw and TP cancel. Both will force your opponent to press buttons, which open up whiff punishing. Also, I like to base his offense around f3. Tick throw, Walk back, Poke, Finish the string, etc.

I always forget about the F. Throw Krushing Blow because I have the option enabled where you have to hold the button down lol.
Patient Scorpion players are rather intimidAting now that meter refills on its own

There's a reason she's high tier right now :(

Everything she has starts high but goddamn if her strings aren't ridiculously good.
No problem with high tier characters until you can also fight with them with your character.
I think it is much more fun and entertain
My bad man I hate when people don’t elaborate, so I’ll put respect on your name lol.

I feel that “Reborn” is better strictly because of his teleport cancel. Great for counter-zoning, whiff punishing opportunities, bypasses neutral. He gets an extra KB with Air throw but it ain’t all that great.

This isn’t to say that “Searing Rage” is bad, because it’s damn good. However, once they respect the overhead on f32 your offense takes a major hit. Not to mention you’re getting boned with a full combo punish lol.
Don't underestimate the threat of F32. That's why F3 stagger works even better.

I can't argue with teleport cancel play either.
Its lucky that both variations are good. Not every character can say this.

I like that with BS the throw is 174 lol.

As tele cancel costs defensive meter you cant break if you are punished... I prefer more conservative and safe play. :)

Last edited: