What's new

Scorpion General Discussion

Was 2 always +3 while 21 +2 on block? Thats pretty good I missed it from mkx lol.

After D1/D3 it can jail and easily hitconfirmable or + on block. Great.
And somebody said Scorpion is not good up close. :)

Shirakani

BBQ on Scorpion's head
Was 2 always +3 while 21 +2 on block? Thats pretty good I missed it from mkx lol.

After D1/D3 it can jail and easily hitconfirmable or + on block. Great.
And somebody said Scorpion is not good up close. :)
Compared to say, Sonya, Noob, Liu Kang, D'Vorah... up close he will generally lose.

Compared to say, Sonya, Noob, Liu Kang, D'Vorah... up close he will generally lose.
That's true. But looks not completely useless and game over for him just not where he shines.

But I do not know the game well enough to judge - especially the match ups high level. :)

For me Scorpion is working so far on my casual level - and not the gimmick but the footsies game.

I will try the cancel version as I found myself not using the lance besides occasionally F32... I still think it is an extra threat to make F3 stronger but from punishment point of view taking risk of F32 equals to F3xxtele - and tele might be hitconfirmed a bit.

Other than that the cancels can be used more I always used in mkx.
But using defensive meter for it can cost a lot. I like keeping def meter for break and wake up. I tried F32 as a footsie tool (from longer range to whiff F3 lol) but it is not what I really want.

Shirakani

BBQ on Scorpion's head
Well, if anything, you can use B2 a little more liberally coz its now only -10, and with its pushback that effectively makes it reasonably safe to all but the fastest decent range punishes. Not great, but definitely better as his B2 is a great whiff punisher.

Well, if anything, you can use B2 a little more liberally coz its now only -10, and with its pushback that effectively makes it reasonably safe to all but the fastest decent range punishes. Not great, but definitely better as his B2 is a great whiff punisher.
I dont want to argue but the pushback is not too much every S1 should reach it.according to my observation.

So do not rely on it too much when the players will know the matchup.
Now they probably barely punish it or even hit by the overhead lol.

Besides that it is a great tool as B1/F3 can be outranged just need to accept the consequences on block. With the teleport cancel it can be hitconfirmed too which offers a very good safe tool to scorpion - on paper.
I have not played the cancel version but probably will soon.

With the extra fear of F32 I could even stagger F3 with D3 lol. But throw is better stagger option - extra messing with the opponent cant hurt though.

Btw I throw twice as much as I did in MKX with Ninjutsu - and I did it a lot in MKX too lol. I am okay with that. My friend does not really like it he thinks it is noob (but probably just pissed off and I can not blame for it). :)

Last edited:
Is it just me or Scorpion jump in 3 get beaten by every other jump in
I labbed his jump in kick (3-4 does not matter in this game) and it is pretty bad (my opinion).
Compared to Kitana the hitbox is just sux (but Kitana is the top? :) ). Way worse than other characters I checked - as a jump in.

Air to air it might be the same... I did not really watch is during the games. I could win air to air on read - and full combo to it with teleport. But it is not the same as it was in MKX.

It seems Scorpion is not the air king anymore. :)
But I hope it is balanced, too lol. Need more experience to say facts. According to the frame data it is not bad. But the hitbox looks not that great as a jump in.

Last edited:

Shirakani

BBQ on Scorpion's head
I dont want to argue but the pushback is not too much every S1 should reach it.according to my observation.

So do not rely on it too much when the players will know the matchup.
Now they probably barely punish it or even hit by the overhead lol.

Besides that it is a great tool as B1/F3 can be outranged just need to accept the consequences on block. With the teleport cancel it can be hitconfirmed too which offers a very good safe tool to scorpion - on paper.
I have not played the cancel version but probably will soon.

With the extra fear of F32 I could even stagger F3 with D3 lol. But throw is better stagger option - extra messing with the opponent cant hurt though.

Btw I throw twice as much as I did in MKX with Ninjutsu - and I did it a lot in MKX too lol. I am okay with that. My friend does not really like it he thinks it is noob (but probably just pissed off and I can not blame for it). :)
Oh yeah the B2 is not COMPLETELY safe, no way (I wish it was tho)... but its safe ENOUGH now that most ppl will not be able to punish it on reaction easily. They'd need to hard read it. Same with F42.

B1 should never be used on its own unless you're equipping Misery Blade... always do B14 no matter what and get used to that as your hitconfirm. If the 1 is blocked quickly hit 3 to be safe.

His jump 3 and 4 is weak shit AF :/

Oh yeah the B2 is not COMPLETELY safe, no way (I wish it was tho)... but its safe ENOUGH now that most ppl will not be able to punish it on reaction easily. They'd need to hard read it. Same with F42.

B1 should never be used on its own unless you're equipping Misery Blade... always do B14 no matter what and get used to that as your hitconfirm. If the 1 is blocked quickly hit 3 to be safe.

His jump 3 and 4 is weak shit AF :/
B14 of course I was just talking about the buttons. :)

B2: as B2 is 2 hit move therefore the opponent has plenty of time preparing for the punish. I know lot of people will not be able to punish it for months but when I am playing I always expect the opponent to do the best.
Then a realized that they can not punish even the teleport lol. But I always play like "in pro environment" - that's how I like it.

Speaking of Jump moves - jump in punches I even worse than it was in MKX and jump kick need to be pretty late against trip guarders therfore more prone to anti air... But I had success with jump in teleport baiting the anti air against better reaction players. If they conditioned a bit they will allow you better to jump... But that's big risk too - unless you play the cancel variation.
Damn the more I talk about the unsafe stuff the more I see the power of the cancel - which is punishable too just gives more mixup option. :)
Both variation have the own power. Burning spear + F32 = more fear of pressing buttons, cancel = more mixup, more safer stuff, more fear of button press on teleport (which is very unsafe mixup).
It is better to try it instead of talking about it.

Shirakani

BBQ on Scorpion's head
NRS said at one point they are going to 'rotate' tourney variations... If Misery Blade ever gets rotated in, Scorpion will jump up the tier ranks instantly by just that one move being added.

NRS said at one point they are going to 'rotate' tourney variations... If Misery Blade ever gets rotated in, Scorpion will jump up the tier ranks instantly by just that one move being added.
I did not like that misery blade pressure what I saw from Red Raptor after every string or button lol.
For me it breaks the flow of the game too much. But it is just personal preference. :)
I like staggers but that was too much to my stomach lol.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
I did not like that misery blade pressure what I saw from Red Raptor after every string or button lol.
For me it breaks the flow of the game too much. But it is just personal preference. :)
I like staggers but that was too much to my stomach lol.
It won't be the same. The cancel now costs a bar of defensive meter.

What do you guys think about standing reset for 1 bar?
I think it sounds good but looks not practical. You can set up a +17 ender with S2 but what then...
  1. you can throw obviously and get more damage than cashing out for 2 bar.
  2. You can do e.g. B14xx DS on hit which is also 140 damage. You have no bar for better combo...
  3. You can start F3 pressure.
To be honest not too threatening and rewarding to take that risk.
Saving the bar for more potential or cashing out for around +100 damage from non KB Bnb looks more practical.
Meterless KB BnB and only reset to spear is silly too as you can do around 100 more damage for that 1 bar guaranteed.

On the youtube I saw a sneaky 1 into throw after reset lol.

I dont know if this is the right thread but has anyone else noticed that Scorpions spear buff goes away after the D+2 crushing blow??
Nice finding. What about F34 KB?
I will check.

Shao Kahn's buff disappears too as I know. Might be feature to avoid too much damage stack.

HAMMER

Noob
Yo. Is Scorpion as brain dead as he appears to me in Gauntlet 12 or whatever?

I love his design this go-around, and I might main him if he's so simplistic. I love simplicity and effectiveness all in one bundle!

Boon’s Main is probably his better variation. Good neutral? Bad neutral? No neutral!? Doesn’t matter because Scorpion doesn’t have to deal with it lol.

You can literally lock your opponent down with the threat of a teleport, but the fact that it can be canceled makes it a lot more dangerous.

I love the salt it causes in ranked lol. I either cancel behind them walk back and whiff punish with B1/2. Or I cancel away and get that spear krushing blow lol.

They should definitely nerf his ability to amp teleport on block.

HAMMER

Noob
Boon’s Main is probably his better variation. Good neutral? Bad neutral? No neutral!? Doesn’t matter because Scorpion doesn’t have to deal with it lol.

You can literally lock your opponent down with the threat of a teleport, but the fact that it can be canceled makes it a lot more dangerous.

I love the salt it causes in ranked lol. I either cancel behind them walk back and whiff punish with B1/2. Or I cancel away and get that spear krushing blow lol.

BOONS Main., that's a tournament variation?

I set all of my characters to the tournament variation but I don't recall one of them being called "BOON'S MAIN" for Scorpion. Am I doing this wrong?

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
Idk about this statement. Just played a Sonya who punished me everytime

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.

It cost meter so you get what you pay for.