What's new

Scorpion General Discussion

you can literally think about inputting a high and dudes are mashing that d2. that's how bad highs are combined with character hit reactions.

Ok fellas I’ve changed my mind a bit about Kang vs Reborn. It’s one of those MUs that will probably end up being a .5 MU.

I played a ranked set against a good RB Scorpion. He was really good at staying mid range and running away. I’ll post it up in a few.

Ok fellas I’ve changed my mind a bit about Kang vs Reborn. It’s one of those MUs that will probably end up being a .5 MU.

I played a ranked set against a good RB Scorpion. He was really good at staying mid range and running away. I’ll post it up in a few.
f4 is also super easy to whiff punish. Kang has no mids to stop you from just crouching from mid to fullscreen. I feel that matchup is even but I didn't like it as SR either.

Today I try to focus on putting as many Burning spear as possible up.
I need to make SR running more than Vanilla to be worth playing him. :D

I just won against a Sang Tsung Grandmaster who could have rank up if win as a middle of master.
I got 150 points he lost 100 wow. Well slowly I will reach Grandmater but I did not plan to play more than 5 today rather friendlies.

I was proud of me as I could flawless block counter his F212 with 160 ping. :D
Other than that I was free when he was pressuring me just I did not really let him come to me.

Scorpion looks okay against Sang Tsung according to the tools.

160ms has the same 3 frames of input delay as 20ms or 300ms.

That's how NRS rollback netcode works.

If the connection is ass, you see frame skipping and rollbacks but the input delay stays exactly the same.

160ms has the same 3 frames of input delay as 20ms or 300ms.

That's how NRS rollback netcode works.

If the connection is ass, you see frame skipping and rollbacks but the input delay stays exactly the same.
That's okay just I do not know what I see in my monitor is how much later than the reality. :)

I could beat a GM Sonya too he was super good compared to the last 30 opponents.
He cross jump whiff punished my F3 attempts. :D
Death spin surprised him though.
I get only higher rank good stat opponents today probably due to my above 50% record. Need to be normalized. :D

f4 is also super easy to whiff punish. Kang has no mids to stop you from just crouching from mid to fullscreen. I feel that matchup is even but I didn't like it as SR either.
Id lean more toward RB being even because of mobility. SR doesn’t have that same mobility to keep an optimal position.

scorpion reborn just fits really well into those matchups where his opponents won't allow him in. it's literally reborn

Nice games. Yes that mobility of Reborn is priceless. I like that Demon thing to go back to ground. :D
I want to see a bit nerf on cancels before I switch to Reborn though.
Until that I will utilize Searing Rage tools more. I started using 2 bar combos into death spin ender to put BS up and that gives a good meterless damage no hit until the offensive bar is regenerating. :) Against Liu Kang and other up close better characters it is pretty good.
For 1 bar infortunately it is not that consistent to make it practical to me and most of the cases I have 1 bar to work with.

Yesterday I could beat a 35/5 Liu Kang with SR but I was so nervous after beating 2 grandmasters and it was a bit yolo (on read)... But damn SR needs to take that risk. :)
I found myself jumping around a lot and looking for whiffs too just without cancel. Liu Kang should be able to punish it with flying kick though but did not do it (fear of Yolo :D).

And I found a universal counter of parry by "accident" - teleport lol. When I saw the parry I was too nervous and reacted with teleport... it is legit though 23F start up is enough.

I am more comfortable against Liu Kang with Cassie but I will not be lazy to not play a match up with Scorpion which is difficult. Same for Jacqui meh. :)
Sonya is okayish but still difficult. Hm I am talking about top tiers it is obvious that needs to be difficult.

Last edited:
Nice games. Yes that mobility of Reborn is priceless. I like that Demon thing to go back to ground. :D
I want to see a bit nerf on cancels before I switch to Reborn though.
Until that I will utilize Searing Rage tools more. I started using 2 bar combos into death spin ender to put BS up and that gives a good meterless damage no hit until the offensive bar is regenerating. :) Against Liu Kang and other up close better characters it is pretty good.
For 1 bar infortunately it is not that consistent to make it practical to me and most of the cases I have 1 bar to work with.

Yesterday I could beat a 35/5 Liu Kang with SR but I was so nervous after beating 2 grandmasters and it was a bit yolo (on read)... But damn SR needs to take that risk. :)
I found myself jumping around a lot and looking for whiffs too just without cancel. Liu Kang should be able to punish it with flying kick though but did not do it (fear of Yolo :D).

And I found a universal counter of parry by "accident" - teleport lol. When I saw the parry I was too nervous and reacted with teleport... it is legit though 23F start up is enough.

I am more comfortable against Liu Kang with Cassie but I will not be lazy to not play a match up with Scorpion which is difficult. Same for Jacqui meh. :)
Sonya is okayish but still difficult. Hm I am talking about top tiers it is obvious that needs to be difficult.
SR can space him out, but you’ll eventually find yourself in the corner if you don’t hold your ground in neutral. RB has the jump TP mind game, so you get free corner escape regardless of which level you’re on.

SR can space him out, but you’ll eventually find yourself in the corner if you don’t hold your ground in neutral. RB has the jump TP mind game, so you get free corner escape regardless of which level you’re on.
I think outside of DS BnB ender SR can not space him out better - so no real benefit from this point of view.
True that's why Reborn is better. He has that extra mobility which can save his ass in tense moments. :)
I "hate" Cetrion's/Skarlet's safe side switch away teleport too as it is pretty strong.

I think if Reborn uses his cancels only for escape and positioning it is still worth using it...

With SR I force myself to approach the game more grounded but regular tele is still an extra special move to work with.
In MKX I also used tele cancel in the same situations but in MKX Scorpion was even more weak against pressure and footsies was more difficult against 9-11F half screen advancing moves. :D
Here it is much better to play neutral. And Reborn is just ice in the cake.

I am just labbing Scorpion tele cancels in the practice room with Frame data on:
B14xx away cancel -12 on block
B14xx normal cancel -8 on block

Lol that's pretty strong... even on maximum read -8 is difficult to punish. :D

Other's at least a bit better -16 -22 on block but it is just enough to do another teleport or spear if you want to check movement as the opponent needs to confirm first that what happenned.

how does scorpion punish shang stung hellsparks
Watch Tom Brady's video. :)
You can punish multiple ways depending on the situation.
Dash between 2 sparks or flawless block 2nd.
That is ground eruption though was it that you meant (Shinnok :) )?

I watched MagicTea's stream with Reborn he plays pretty well. Good fundamentals, match up knowledge. He does not even use cancels if it is not neccessary (no b2/f3 os and finishing strings).

However when it was close or could not work with regular tools he could just secure the win with it easily.

I feel like having a cancel in the pocket is more useful than SR tools right now even if you play the same game with both variation. :)

Last edited:
Watch Tom Brady's video. :)
You can punish multiple ways depending on the situation.
Dash between 2 sparks or flawless block 2nd.
That is ground eruption though was it that you meant (Shinnok :) )?

I watched MagicTea's stream with Reborn he plays pretty well. Good fundamentals, match up knowledge. He does not even use cancels if it is not neccessary (no b2/f3 os and finishing strings).

However when it was close or could not work with regular tools he could just secure the win with it easily.

I feel like having a cancel in the pocket is more useful than SR tools right now even if you play the same game with both variation. :)
i don't know. it's the closest name i know besides calling it up skulls. having a hard time trying to dash the 2nd skull. can't practice as i don't have the character

i don't know. it's the closest name i know besides calling it up skulls. having a hard time trying to dash the 2nd skull. can't practice as i don't have the character
Without having the character you will have difficult time to practice both the flawless block and the dash.
With Scorpion only from few strings/buttons you can dash as his stance is pretty wide lol (and 2nd hellspark will hit him regardless of the dash). For the others there is the flawless block.
Flawless block works for everything though and not that difficult to do it maybe you can practice it during the match. :D

Parasurama

Dragon
You say no MID jail? Both B14 hitconfirm and F3 are good solution to check mashing.
14/13F is way good enough even if it does not jail.

If the opponent is jump heavy after eating a D1 to bait B14 into full combo (or just why not NJ as it works fine lol) you can still do F3 and convert into full combo. Need to learn F3 anti air conversion to earn respect against those type of players.

If you have respect you can easily throw (it can kounter opponent's move as well but low profile possible against mashers) - and vica versa you may need to throw a lot to force mashing.

S1 is good too if you can find the timing into 11 hitconfirm I do it if I feel the power lol.
S2 is not really consistent.

Walk back B14/F3 are both good as well however ON D1 HIT +10 I do not do it - it is better against -5 -6 moves where F3/B1 is not guaranteed. But shimmy play on +10 is also good if the opponent likes blocking then teching throws to cover everything. :)

Pretty much this is my game plan - need to realize what works in the current circumstances.

Yeah I know Scorpion free win no fundamental brainded do not think like this.
I really wish standing 1 jails after d1... but if too early it misses. I use f3... b1 can sometimes get poked out if you confirming d1 hits.

I really wish standing 1 jails after d1... but if too early it misses. I use f3... b1 can sometimes get poked out if you confirming d1 hits.
S1 jails after D1 but yes you do not really have time to confirm it.
But that applies to other characters' pokes.

That is when waiting for a poke to block than doing even S1 will kounter the opponent's next action without confirm.
And that's why multiple D1 can be good lol.

E.g. with Cassie I block a poke and counterpoke with 9F mid... I hit pretty often even a next D1.
But I like trying S1 too with Scorpion/Cassie. Worst case you are poked out (or D2 KB but that would be super troll).

Lot of cases I D1 and throw and even after D1 blocked it works lol.
Everything happens so fast.

You guys made me feel better about the beatings I generally take from Liu Kang and Jax. I thought I was just bad (I am) and need to practice the match more (I do), and while that may be the case, at least I know they can be a problem for others in Searing Rage as well.

Once they get in I have a hard time getting them out of my face. And God forbid I let them corner me. Going to keep grinding away at that.

Parasurama

Dragon
S1 jails after D1 but yes you do not really have time to confirm it.
But that applies to other characters' pokes.

That is when waiting for a poke to block than doing even S1 will kounter the opponent's next action without confirm.
And that's why multiple D1 can be good lol.

E.g. with Cassie I block a poke and counterpoke with 9F mid... I hit pretty often even a next D1.
But I like trying S1 too with Scorpion/Cassie. Worst case you are poked out (or D2 KB but that would be super troll).

Lot of cases I D1 and throw and even after D1 blocked it works lol.
Everything happens so fast.
D1's have a strange animation that can make the standing 1 whiff on a few frames.
It is so weird. Ideally I would prefer to confirm into standing 1. Perhaps it is me missing the confirm. F3 works most of the time.

D1 on block then throw works when they expecting a special cancel.

D1's have a strange animation that can make the standing 1 whiff on a few frames.
It is so weird. Ideally I would prefer to confirm into standing 1. Perhaps it is me missing the confirm. F3 works most of the time.

Yeah it's like parts opponent being hit animation parts bad nrs hitboxes

Yes it is not easy to find that frame.
I also prefer B13 hitconfirm but the "why not jumpers" after D1 makes it difficult to use.
They probably jump to punish D1 throw or avoiding combo potential (e.g. against Cassie they also do as F4 converts AA but F41 not likely) so need special threatment. :)

Yesterday I hated SR as a less cautious "reflex" F32 lost me a close game (he jumped out and punish). I am seriously thinking about Reborn only to remove this move lol (but I do not really want to use the current cancel so that's why I rather not).

Yesterday I was not prepared to bullshit grandmaster SR who did ton of D4xxDS lol.
I started blocking it but forgot to crouch block and could not punish haha.
He was my first warm up match "never better".

Parasurama

Dragon
Yes it is not easy to find that frame.
I also prefer B13 hitconfirm but the "why not jumpers" after D1 makes it difficult to use.
They probably jump to punish D1 throw or avoiding combo potential (e.g. against Cassie they also do as F4 converts AA but F41 not likely) so need special threatment. :)

Yesterday I hated SR as a less cautious "reflex" F32 lost me a close game (he jumped out and punish). I am seriously thinking about Reborn only to remove this move lol (but I do not really want to use the current cancel so that's why I rather not).

Yesterday I was not prepared to bullshit grandmaster SR who did ton of D4xxDS lol.
I started blocking it but forgot to crouch block and could not punish haha.
He was my first warm up match "never better".
Yeah D4 special lol. You mean b14? I used to use that but jumps get you punished :(.
With reborn F3 cancel into tele catches them and you can confirm it but it is expensive. Standing 11 is ideal so I do d3 preferably when possible because that jails on hit.