What's new

General/Other - Ronin Ronin General Discussion Thread

RyuuJin882

Twitch.tv/ryuujin882
Nothing guaranteed after that. Have to make a read on your opponent. Sometimes I just quick call the blade immdiately, most times I just block. Your ideal pressure comes from b21 2+4 close blade drop since your plus. You can check with d1 after that.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
Nothing guaranteed after that. Have to make a read on your opponent. Sometimes I just quick call the blade immdiately, most times I just block. Your ideal pressure comes from b21 2+4 close blade drop since your plus. You can check with d1 after that.
What about 21 drop? I know that's +2 on block. Does drop add to that?

RyuuJin882

Twitch.tv/ryuujin882
@Harlequin969 I'm not as good as Hayatei but feel free to watch some of my matches here:

Most of my matches got recorded. As for conditioning, sometimes I like to do b21 blade drop then block. Then later on throw out b21 2+4 blade drop and catch them pressing a button on the plus frames. You can see it in my first game with DaZengie (which I just watched lol at about the 1:00:00 mark)

RyuuJin882

Twitch.tv/ryuujin882
Can anyone tell me what to do to combo off B212+4 in the corner? Thanks!
bnb is B212+4~Close Blade Drop, EX Blade Call, RC~D2, D1~DF1

The ex blade call flips them over you, so you do a run cancel into uppercut. Uppercut them at the highest point possible to get the d1 df1 afterwards. The timing for the uppercut and the spacing to run can be tricky. If you run a tad too far you won't be able to d1 after the uppercut. If you don't run far enough the uppercut will hit them before you auto adjust and send them mid screen.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.

The ex blade call flips them over you, so you do a run cancel into uppercut. Uppercut them at the highest point possible to get the d1 df1 afterwards. The timing for the uppercut and the spacing to run can be tricky. If you run a tad too far you won't be able to d1 after the uppercut. If you don't run far enough the uppercut will hit them before you auto adjust and send them mid screen.
oh. Is there no way to keep them cornered?

Nexallus

From Takeda to Robin

With some characters you can use B2,1, 2+4, Far Blade Drop, Blade Kall, D1, DF1 for meterless damage, although I might not consider it a BnB.

RyuuJin882

Twitch.tv/ryuujin882
With some characters you can use B2,1, 2+4, Far Blade Drop, Blade Kall, D1, DF1 for meterless damage, although I might not consider it a BnB.
Like against big characters?

Haha, I just labbed against Goro. That's really funny. Easy 25%.

Last edited:

Nexallus

From Takeda to Robin
Like against big characters?

Haha, I just labbed against Goro. That's really funny. Easy 25%.
Yeah, it just takes awhile to get the blade to drop far (I never completely got used to that input). The reason I said some characters is because I haven't tested it with other characters yet.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
So guys, if I have a blade dropped an I connect a F122+4, whats the optimal way to extend this? If any? I'd like to be able to reward my pressure with something when it opens them up

hayatei

Noob
So guys, if I have a blade dropped an I connect a F122+4, whats the optimal way to extend this? If any? I'd like to be able to reward my pressure with something when it opens them up
cancel into bf2 or you can do first hit quick call run f3

in the corner just do the whole string quick call d1 21 bf2

you can get some damage with f12+4 first hit quick call with like f12+4 quick call run 21 ex bf2 run 44 df1

Tweedy

Noob
A couple hitbox specific things I've noticed since picking the character back up.

Regular spark whiffs if you land B21 2+4 xx spark in the corner, on females. EX spark never whiffs. It works fine on males.

21 xx bf2 is impossible for me vs females after F12 2+4 quick kall in the corner. Vs males I can do it in my sleep.

Look at that blade.

Tweedy

Noob
How does ronin work?
He's all about advantageous mind games and micro reads. Similar to pre-XL Kung Lao. He has a good mixture of zoning, safe and plus pressure, meterbuilding, top tier spacing, average to ridiculous damage depending on what you land and convert with, etc.

I'll give like a semi-vague explanation on the mind games and micro reads.

You want to end most blockstrings with blade drop/quick kall, or spark/EX spark. Off of your main strings, F12 2+4 and B21 2+4, blade drop is +2. You can attempt to check your opponent with NJP/D1, block their armor or poke, space them out, or if you think they'll block, you can just go into F12 2+4. Off of F12 2+4 quick kall is actually +7 or +8. This grants you a guaranteed B1, S2, F1, or B2, unless they armor. This will earn respect that you can use for B3 and run up throws. Spark is -3 and EX spark is +6. EX spark is essentially no different than quick kall, except they might be able to poke out of B2. Normal spark is similar to Lao's regular orbiting hat on block, where you could get cheeky with a poke, backdash, armor, or just block them. It's also true after B3, B21 2+4, B11, etc. Ronin doesn't suffer from gaps, at all.

As far as blade drop and quick kall go, every string and normal has it's own individual frame data. I just don't want to be here all day, so I only talked about F12 2+4 and B21 2+4. They're the most important.

When playing the neutral note his new normal, B1, and string, B11. This normal and string is nothing short of absurd. Advances far enough to land at the start of the match, it's a mid, it's 11 frames, it has non-existent recovery. B1 is -2 on block and B11 is 0 on block. There are some characters that you can just go nuts on with this string when you have them in the corner. B112 also launches and is only -5. Crazy good.

From fullscreen you can zone with spark, blade drop + kall, and reflect. Ronin also retains tornado kick. EX spark eats about everything in the game.

If you need combos let me know.