General/Other - Ronin Ronin General Discussion Thread

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Strings:

b112 is now -4, 13f, and a launcher
212 is -5, 13f and cancelable
b2,1 is OH, low. 12f and cancelable

Specials:
Sword throw/callback: hits low, cannot be combo'd unless EX'd, -4 on block, can go far, close or mid range. It's hitbox is pretty big, especially behind the opponent(like one foot behind them still hits).

Combos: The problem with this variation is his damage is bad, but then again so is my creativity/execution I haven't gotten anything over 30% with 1 bar, or over 23% meterless. Let me know if you guys get anything better:
b112 21 df1- 23%
b3(or b2) db1 db1EX njp2 4 df1- 30%

My prediction is this will be a setups and mixups variation. You can control space with the blades, stops advancing moves, can probably stuff some wakeups etc.

Takeda's Ronin Varition is a very creative one and definietly for mixups and setups. Less zoning, more spacing control with this one but i appreciate the swaggy combos he gets out of this. I've managed to get the highest 33% 1bar. I havent worked on anything in corner yet.

Ronin BnBs (1 meter):

jip, b112, 21, db1,db1(EX), 21, bf2 - 19 hits 33%
f12,2+3 db1,db1(EX), 21, bf2 - 17 hits 27%
jip, b21, db1,db1(EX), 21, bf2 - 16 hits 29%
jip, 21, db1, db1(EX), 21, bf2- 16 hits 31%

I'll try to upload some vids later.

Last edited:

Zoidberg747

Takeda's Ronin Varition is a very creative one and definietly for mixups and setups. Less zoning, more spacing control with this one but i appreciate the swaggy combos he gets out of this. I've managed to get the highest 33% 1bar. I havent worked on anything in corner yet.

Ronin BnBs (1 meter):

jip, b112, 21, df1,df1(EX), 21, bf3 - 19 hits 33%
f12,2+3 df1,df1(EX), 21, bf3 - 17 hits 27%
jip, b21, df1,df1(EX), 21, bf3 - 16 hits 29%
jip, 21, df1, df1(EX), 21, bf3- 16 hits 31%

Great combos but the blade drop/call is db1, not df1. Also I don't think bf3 is a move, I assume you are talking about fist flurry?

Great combos but the blade drop/call is db1, not df1. Also I don't think bf3 is a move, I assume you are talking about fist flurry?
You're absolutely right. Correction made. But yes, most of the combos have to end with fist furry for adequate damage. Normal combos (no meter) i'm maxing out to 24% with JIPs but I'll keep trying.

Zoidberg747

In case anyone wants combos off the 50/50 strings(b21 and b3) mine is b3 blade drop EX blade call njp b11 Shirai kan(df1) for about 30%. This is pretty solid.

My struggle now is finding good corner combos. Im maxing out at 30% but am thinking it might be better to drop the sword, because then you get a setup where you can either njp(OH) or whiff the njp and call the sword(low). Wakeups probably beat it, will test tomorrow.

Also, if anyone is struggling to find a wakeup EX Shirai Kan does have armor.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Great combos but the blade drop/call is db1, not df1.
To avoid that stuff sometimes people just write move's name when it comes to specials. Those who actually play the character don't memorize inputs themselves but moves anyway, and sometimes resulting notations become more clear by the virtue of not forcing reader to read every letter (something humans also don't normally do when reading texts).

Just my suggestion.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
To avoid that stuff sometimes people just write move's name when it comes to specials. Those who actually play the character don't memorize inputs themselves but moves anyway, and sometimes resulting notations become more clear by the virtue of not forcing reader to read every letter (something humans also don't normally do when reading texts).

Just my suggestion.
Ehhh I think it's better to use correct notation rather than names, especially at this point. People have this game in different languages and the translations don't always line up.

Also it's much easier to understand.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Ehhh I think it's better to use correct notation rather than names, especially at this point. People have this game in different languages and the translations don't always line up.

Also it's much easier to understand.
Opposite for me actually, I've explained why. As for languages, not that we use official names anyway. back in the days vb's and shockers were all over the place in Raiden forum, for example, and it's still was easier to tell those apart than to stop and check carefully if it's df2 or db2 or something else (notations on what's what were included ofc). It doesn't help that people these days don't care about formatting chains and just writing everything in a row using commas regardless of how you should input that stuff. That makes it a few more seconds longer to try and imagine what you are looking at than it would take otherwise.

Although, again, it's mostly preference. After all, MK is not that kind of games where the difference between (rough example) aB, A:B, A+B, (A)B etc. actually matters and/or hard to tell without trying.

Zoidberg747

Opposite for me actually, I've explained why. As for languages, not that we use official names anyway. back in the days vb's and shockers were all over the place in Raiden forum, for example, and it's still was easier to tell those apart than to stop and check carefully if it's df2 or db2 or something else (notations on what's what were included ofc). It doesn't help that people these days don't care about formatting chains and just writing everything in a row using commas regardless of how you should input that stuff. That makes it a few more seconds longer to try and imagine what you are looking at than it would take otherwise.

Although, again, it's mostly preference. After all, MK is not that kind of games where the difference between (rough example) aB, A:B, A+B, (A)B etc. actually matters and/or hard to tell without trying.
In my actual notes I write the names oddly enough, but its easier to type out the notation as it is shorter.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator

Ronin BnBs (1 meter):

Would you mind posting these without the jump-ins? I'll add them to the thread I'm making.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Sure. The Gen. Discussion Thread? I'm about to post the vids now
You can repost them here -- I'm going to add them to the BnB thread after I run through them. Just needed to get the damage and whatnot without the jump-int punch starters.

Here's a video for the above mentioned combos I posted. If you're a visual learner I hope this helps out. I apologize for the poor quality my phone is not a Macintosh. Let me know if this good

If you end a combo with blade drop you can go for 334 / 33 blade call 50/50 mixup. It is especially good in the corner because if you go for 334 the blade is still under the opponent to keep the pressure going.

SnowboardRX

^ You have no idea who this guy is ^
Ok I don't know if its just me but I find doing the blade call is more difficult than it has to be.
Say I want to do it in a combo, db1 followed immediately by db1EX ends up with me dropping it almost half the time. I wish they would have made it just db1EX off the first time would just automatically throw it and call it with one move instead of repeating the process.
Maybe it's just me, or the PS4 controller, but this is my only complaint with this variation.

Still gonna be my main regardless.

Zoidberg747

Ok I don't know if its just me but I find doing the blade call is more difficult than it has to be.
Say I want to do it in a combo, db1 followed immediately by db1EX ends up with me dropping it almost half the time. I wish they would have made it just db1EX off the first time would just automatically throw it and call it with one move instead of repeating the process.
Maybe it's just me, or the PS4 controller, but this is my only complaint with this variation.

Still gonna be my main regardless.
I dont find it that hard, just keep practicing it.

My only problem is he loses mixup potential in this variation, as dropping the sword by itself is waaaayyy too risky. I've found myself only using it in combos because if they armor or wakeup through my setups, I now have none of my defensive options or decent strings. I might just need more time though.

SnowboardRX

^ You have no idea who this guy is ^
I dont find it that hard, just keep practicing it.

My only problem is he loses mixup potential in this variation, as dropping the sword by itself is waaaayyy too risky. I've found myself only using it in combos because if they armor or wakeup through my setups, I now have none of my defensive options or decent strings. I might just need more time though.
lol, trust me, that's all I've done is practice. I've yet to try online until I've mastered this variation.
Still loving it but my inability to master just this one aspect of the variation is hindering my overall progress, I believe.

Last edited:
It used to be an issue at first but it's all about the timing of the input. When you db1 db1(ex) you have to it immediately after the other. Like db1db1 altogether. Soon it will come naturally.

BEENEEWEENEES

Thou shalt be slain!
you can complete the b2 string for 31% and 32% w/ meter... here's what i'm playing with, maybe someone can squeeze out a little more

b2,1,2+4,db1 exdb1 njp 4,df1 for 31%, 33% with jip (you can do 3,3,df1 for the same damage)
b2,1,2+4,db1 exdb1 njp run 2,1,bf2 for 31%, 33% with jip
b2,1,2+4,db1 exdb1 njp run 1,1,2,df1 for 32%, 34% with jip

i've gotten several combos that end with bf2 (fist flurry) but the issue is, it does so many hits, by the time you get to using it towards the end of the combo, it's doing literally decimals of damage.

AssassiN

Noob

Ronin BnBs (1 meter):

You can add more damage to these by doing neutral jump punch after DB1(EX).
For example the last one will be: jip, 21, db1, db1(EX), NJ2, 21, BF2 - 34%.

Also refrain from posting combo's with JIP.

AssassiN

Noob
you can complete the b2 string for 31% and 32% w/ meter... here's what i'm playing with, maybe someone can squeeze out a little more

b2,1,2+4,db1 exdb1 njp 4,df1 for 31%, 33% with jip (you can do 3,3,df1 for the same damage)
b2,1,2+4,db1 exdb1 njp run 2,1,bf2 for 31%, 33% with jip
b2,1,2+4,db1 exdb1 njp run 1,1,2,df1 for 32%, 34% with jip

i've gotten several combos that end with bf2 (fist flurry) but the issue is, it does so many hits, by the time you get to using it towards the end of the combo, it's doing literally decimals of damage.
People prefer the Fist Flurry ender because it's an untechable knockdown.