What's new

Results and Videos - UMK3 Tournament at NEC7 2006

dreemernj

Ambassador
mneb430 said:
sounds sweet, im from philly, live in delaware, wonder if this is being filmed or anything. i wish i was a good umk3 player lol
I think there was footage taken of some matches, not sure by whom or if it'll be uploaded at any point.

Pretty much it was a lot of casuals, no tournament in UMK3 happened. But you don't have to be good at UMK3 to enjoy NEC. They have a ton of games and in general its just a really fun event. I go there for the UMK3 and stay for the obscure japanese puzzle games that inevitably amaze me.

There is a thread about all the games there on shoryuken.com. It's still going on tomorrow.

hey shock

nice metting you yestarday....crazy dominican was trying to register and he saw someone with his nickname, and its no him,,,,,he would like to register with his nickname...

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Yes, first off, I would like to say thanks to Crazy Domincan and DJ Eric for coming down to NEC. CD displayed serious UMK3 skills.

I deleted the other person's account, I checked the user info and it seemed like a joke, so he should be able to sign up with that name now.

We still couldn't get the sticks or keyboard to work right while connected to the Ipac tonight but Eric the tournament coordinator wasn't going to let me leave NEC without running a UMK3 tournament. I wound up staying til about 8:30, the tournament went from exactly 5 PM til exactly 8PM. I wanted to leave by 6:30 or 7PM to do a radio show with my friends, who texted me constantly while playing Julian in the finals.

After the tournament Busta and I determined a possible explanation of the behavior from the sticks and keyboard being connected to the ipac as well. We tested a few things and here's what we found through examples for anyone who tried using the sticks or KB:

Charge LK for Kano's cannonball, and if you do something like, jump forward and attack which would be pressing other buttons at the same time, it loses the LK charge.

Something similar also happened when blocking. I noticed when blocking if I held D+B+BL and pressed any other button even accidentally, something would give out, be it back, down, or block, either resulting in being swept, getting thrown, or taking a free combo.

With Reptile tonight, I did a ton of unwanted acid spits. I can go 50 matches without ever doing one by accident normally, but the problem was: Pressing F, F+LP+HP or holding LP and performed F, F+HP would cause one of the three buttons to not come out, either result in nothing, a LP, or an acid spit, so what I had to do was F, F, pause LP+HP.

Teleport punches had to be performed specifically like taps, meaning, you couldn't be holding B and HP at the same, it had to be: D, B, HP.

I managed to squeak by an equally crippled Julian tonight in the finals. GGs to Julian.

Basically everyone used gamepads for the tournament, Busta and Julian tried the sticks but suffered for it greatly. I probably could have used the pads but stayed with the glitchy keyboard. Hopefully by the next tournament all the bugs will be worked out.

I also want to thank Sean and Mike for coming out and taking part in their first competitive UMK3 experience, hope to see you guys in the future as well, perhaps at the Break soon for more tournaments.

GGs everyone.

That sucks that you guys had some problems with the controls. Im going to sneak a peak in the warehouse and look for our UMK3 board and find a slick cabbie to toss it into and possibly host a garage tourney in south jersey. BYOB or whatever lol... I'm gonna have to hunt down some new sticks n buttons and ill have us a nice cab to rock out on. I'll keep you guys posted.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
yeah the whole tournament was taped, about 2 hours of footage, some matches are going to be a bit off center because of people hitting the camera. I have to watch through and figure out the tournament standings but top 3 were:

Shock
Julian
RushedDown

G

Results from NEC7

NEC7's turnout was less than we had hoped but 10 is better than 6 from last year. Other players who were not a part of the tournament but in attendance over the weekend were DreemerNJ, Crazy Dominican, DJ Eric Darkside, and VDO.

1. Shock
2. Julian Robinson
3. RushedDown
4. Mike
5. Jeron
6. Kyle
7. Sean
8. Louis
9. BustaUppa
10. Amir

Thanks to all the players who came out, and special thanks to BustaUppa for helping out with the tournament, lugging heavy objects and keeping the gimmick going.

The George Foreman Grill burgers were delicious as usual this year! The entire tournament was video taped so footage will be posted soon.

Edit: All the match videos are up, with the Winners Finals, Finals, and "Grand" Finals in their own directory.

http://ultimatemk.com/dirview.php?current=matchvids/nec7

NinjaGrinder

A living, Breathing Piece of Defecating Meat
are there any matches from CD and/or DJ Eric Darkside? since Shock said "serious UMK3 skills" I'm curious about it...

it was fun

altho converter lag and the fact that i was falling asleep while playing hurt me huge

i scrubbed my way to 3rd lol

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
The sticks acted as if you were playing online because the converter we used seemed to lose input and lag. It was a travesty but a good shot at a new method. I tried using them a bit both days. They were playable but not 100%. The keyboard was also affected by the converter because it's connected to the same device (ipac) as the sticks, and it uses the keyboard to determine the inputs the computer interprets. Essentially, if you program the sticks into the ipac using certain keys represented on the keyboard, you cannot use those keys for anything else when playing if you wanted to. We set it up so one stick was the same layout as my normal keyboard set up and the other was it's own. I used the KB but I would have been better off on a gamepad hooked into its own USB port since those were the only things that worked right on both days. CD was using his Saitek. By the next MAME hosted tournament we will most likely have the sticks set up with their own PSX pad guts or perhaps wired 360 controller guts at the very least so we can just use 360. That might be the best bet. I will talk to Dreemer.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
If you do Enigma, bring TakerMK with you, oh and maybe Goddess of Light if you can fit her in the glove compartment... :oops:

Oh and Scheisse for the record I am Independent leaning Conservative.

"What is MKA?" = :!: JOKE :!: I am sorry that it needed to be explained.

Scheisse was joking around too about the republican thing. I remember you guys saying you were going to have mka at the tourney. Did that ever take place or was it just umk3?

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
TBH, I don't even know wtf the diff is between Republican, Democrat, Independent...and don't really fucking care. Never voted, never will.