What's new

Question Reptile Q and A Thread

I know the match up isn't impossible. When he is throwing an ice clone I have my pick of projectiles to hurl if I'm ready. But I don't see how this isn't in subs favor. Just thought maybe someone had a trick I hadn't tried.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
That's kind of what I'm saying, once he throws an ice ball I'm stuck. And even if I just set there, if he comes in...its not to attack. It's to bait me into an ice clone. If he hits me once, it seems there would be nothing stopping him from clone and hide for the duration until time expires.

Jumping over ice balls is also an option as well as dash blocking (not reccommended LOL.)

sent from Gotham City via the batcomputer

Haha isn't it weird that you can dash block through an ice clone, and it causes push back?

I know the match up isn't impossible. When he is throwing an ice clone I have my pick of projectiles to hurl if I'm ready. But I don't see how this isn't in subs favor. Just thought maybe someone had a trick I hadn't tried.

The thing about why this my is even is because you do not need to get in to sub zero to win. You are supposed to trade ice with fb, or spit/fb to chip him out. Dash do have its place in this match, ex. Full screen you read sub throw out an ice ball, you can dash jump full combo

Mattman

Warlock Nerd
Guys, I seek your wisdom.
I know the true answer to this is dependent on several variables, but try to pick a concrete number: As a rule of thumb, in ONE round, how many dashes is too many dashes?

Guys, I seek your wisdom.
I know the true answer to this is dependent on several variables, but try to pick a concrete number: As a rule of thumb, in ONE round, how many dashes is too many dashes?
Against a new player, dash 100x. Against a good player, it depends on the spacing, depends on punishment, depends on mess up footsie game, mix ups between ex dash and dash, use ex dashes to check, how well a player can punish dash, does my opponent respect my dash, depends on the missing strings, depends what moves can beat people with dash (reptile beats mileena's roll for example), depends on the character that you are fighting, depends on your play style, depends on your dash mixups,and what kind of question is this??... Its like asking how many times you throw out a fb, well... throw out as many as you can if the chance is given.

The thing about why this my is even is because you do not need to get in to sub zero to win. You are supposed to trade ice with fb, or spit/fb to chip him out. Dash do have its place in this match, ex. Full screen you read sub throw out an ice ball, you can dash jump full combo
I get all this stuff from a hypothetical stand point. But any decent sub zero player will not iceball without a clone out against reptile. And trades are 100% in subs favor. Even if he gets hit by a forceball, you are frozen so long that he at worst gets a slide. And once I get meter, sure I can ex slide through clones to get to him. But after the drop kick part of the slide we are back to neutral...advantage sub because of ice clone. I know mileena is supposed to be anti reptile but I fair far better against her than sub.

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
. And trades are 100% in subs favor. Even if he gets hit by a forceball, you are frozen so long that he at worst gets a slide.
This is 100% false. From 3/4 to full screen if you trade ice ball with fastball and he tries to slide you recover in time to block slide and full punish.

This is 100% false. From 3/4 to full screen if you trade ice ball with fastball and he tries to slide you recover in time to block slide and full punish.
But if he jumps and slides doesn't he get there in time? I feel like this happens all the time.

RapZiLLa54

But if he jumps and slides doesn't he get there in time? I feel like this happens all the time.

I've never had this done to me, I don't see how that would be faster than sliding immediately but I could be wrong.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I can tell ya... I don't try to trade until I get to the distance that spit will favorably trade.

Unless I have a bar and you don't have breaker. There are tons of dead zones for both players in this matchup.

I get all this stuff from a hypothetical stand point. But any decent sub zero player will not iceball without a clone out against reptile. And trades are 100% in subs favor. Even if he gets hit by a forceball, you are frozen so long that he at worst gets a slide. And once I get meter, sure I can ex slide through clones to get to him. But after the drop kick part of the slide we are back to neutral...advantage sub because of ice clone. I know mileena is supposed to be anti reptile but I fair far better against her than sub.

Are you kidding me? This is not hypothetical. Try it, if sub zero uses ice clone, you can bring out a forceball to win the zoning game to chip him out and gain meter. Besides if you can read that ice clone is coming, a spit can punish it. You are not supposed to dash everywhere in this match, but it is still even because reptile can take sub far range. Like thtb said fast fb vs ice, fb wins and Ive seen reptile players do this

Seapeople

This one's for you
If you're zoning Sub while a clone is up, watch your spacing because he can ex slide into the clone. That might even be his most reliable trade in this matchup

If you're zoning Sub while a clone is up, watch your spacing because he can ex slide into the clone. That might even be his most reliable trade in this matchup
Im not sure if he can do that at 3/4 to full screen, I think he can only do that at jumping distance. But if he can somehow do it at 3/4 of the screen he wont be able to combo it because the freeze doesnt last long in the air. How ever that is a pretty good idea if they are in jump distance

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Are you kidding me? This is not hypothetical. Try it, if sub zero uses ice clone, you can bring out a forceball to win the zoning game to chip him out and gain meter. Besides if you can read that ice clone is coming, a spit can punish it. You are not supposed to dash everywhere in this match, but it is still even because reptile can take sub far range. Like thtb said fast fb vs ice, fb wins and Ive seen reptile players do this
This is what i do.

Seapeople

This one's for you
Im not sure if he can do that at 3/4 to full screen, I think he can only do that at jumping distance. But if he can somehow do it at 3/4 of the screen he wont be able to combo it because the freeze doesnt last long in the air. How ever that is a pretty good idea if they are in jump distance
You can't block a slide on reaction if Sub is any closer than 1/2 screen. From 3/4 of the screen I think he can ex slide into the clone on reaction to a forceball.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
122 does not punish smoke bomb. Reptile's fastest big punish for smoke bomb is elbow.

Smoke is 0 on block after 32 or 3d12. So your only chance of escaping is elbow and praying you have random priority, or using EX slide. If Smoke is peppering you with d3/d4, he's baiting you into blocking low. Don't take the bait unless you can snuff out a pattern...unless this is really giving Smoke a life lead. Also, be aware of d4 xx smoke bomb...even if you block d4 this can catch you if you aren't expecting it. b23 xx smoke bomb can be jumped out of after the string, so you can punish this for full JIP combos.

EDIT: Fuck, I think I was reading too far back...shoulda quoted. :/

RapZiLLa54

I cracked top 8 at on the edge and id just like to thank my reptilian brethren. I've come a long way since day 1 and because of this forum Ive finally achieved this goal. :)

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Ditto here man just won a tournament tonight guys! There were only like 6 people, but I did have to get through Clinton the beast (in winners and grand finals), pokchop, and ATL Batman! It's mostly thanks to you guys for calling me an idiot on ALL MY STUPID IDEAS! Lol.

Shit...you got me, I was kidding you.