What's new

Reptile General Discussion

Wam-Zlay

Reptile / Noob
reptile is weird to figure out, but as always he's this weird mix of zoner and rushdowner, like a forward moving zoner. i think i'll settle with scorpion as kameo for now and see whats possible online.
Uhh i think i havent seen you for ages. Nice too see you around

Syzoth

The last Saurian from Zaterra - Syzoth - Reptile
Care to elaborate?
I'm hoping to find enough to warrant a short video.

But after about 200 matches I'm exploring other characters.

Though I have no problem with difficult to use or (way to early to say) low tier characters. I don't feel like there's enough meat here to get addicted to the game presently.

Zviko

Noob
I play cautiously with him meaning I try to play around mid screen and let opponent do the attacking and looking for whiff punishes so there's a lot of back dashing, my main attack tool seem to be B4 which seems very good in neutral and whiff punishing with B3 or F3. F21 is good meaty and easy confirm. Scorpion feels like it suits him nicely.

Agilaz

It has begun
I play cautiously with him meaning I try to play around mid screen and let opponent do the attacking and looking for whiff punishes so there's a lot of back dashing, my main attack tool seem to be B4 which seems very good in neutral and whiff punishing with B3 or F3. F21 is good meaty and easy confirm. Scorpion feels like it suits him nicely.
Did I play you in Kombat League today? I was playing a Reptile player named Zviksss as Shang, ate my F3 overhead like 4 times in a row lol

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
An early idea for B2 canceling with Sektor Kameo, they can delay wakeup on the F32 but you can always cancel this string into invisibility for meaty pressure instead. Hopefully, we'll find better ways to get more mileage out of his overhead.
The problem im finding with this is that when they block your slide, you are almost always fully punished, and if they block the INSANELY LONG overhead (which they WILL), you are simply safe (not plus, safe) and just wasted half a bar. I played a mirror match with Reptile and the guy just did staggers of F2 and F211 xx stryker granades - I lost every match because I was trying to rushdown and do unsafe shit like random sky drop or slide or F23, or trying the overhead (that would NEVER land) and not a single time could I open him up. Safe on absolutely everything. Just waited and punished the unsafe strings.

So there you go folks, you cant open people up with reptile, all someone has to do is block low forever and they are safe. It's best to just do safe staggers and punish whatever unsafe shit your oponnent does.

Dolphin-Dive

Observer
The problem im finding with this is that when they block your slide, you are almost always fully punished, and if they block the INSANELY LONG overhead (which they WILL), you are simply safe (not plus, safe) and just wasted half a bar. I played a mirror match with Reptile and the guy just did staggers of F2 and F211 xx stryker granades - I lost every match because I was trying to rushdown and do unsafe shit like random sky drop or slide or F23, or trying the overhead (that would NEVER land) and not a single time could I open him up. Safe on absolutely everything. Just waited and punished the unsafe strings.

So there you go folks, you cant open people up with reptile, all someone has to do is block low forever and they are safe. It's best to just do safe staggers and punish whatever unsafe shit your oponnent does.
Hence why I said early, I’m not convinced the B2 cancel will be viable in the long run either. You could make an argument for using the partial charge version of B2 (Where his arms morph) instead of the full leap since it’s faster, but the reward is very small. Same with slide, but perhaps we’ll find a way to covert off it in the future with Kameos, or at the very least, make it safe or even plus with an assist. All we can do is keep digging for something worthwhile. I think the focus atm should be creating a consistent gameplan for him.

John the Savage

"Safeties disabled, combat mode engaged."
After the first 2 days Reptile is feeling pretty lack luster. Game is barely out and if someone has any idea of what reptile does it becomes very difficult to open them up. Wiff punishing because your main way in and other character do that significantly better than him. I’m still enjoying him in casual matches but he is slow, has no mix ups, no rush down, and no zoning. Specials are pretty weak besides force ball. Not sure exactly what he needs but he feels like his is missing something.

Something that might be worth exploring, Darrius is an interesting kameo for Reptile. Reptile's got a pretty cool kombo with a safe starting low string (b31 df3 j211 db4) but like others mentioned it's tough to open anyone up to use it.

However, Darrius has a cool overhead with Volleyballistic. You can spend half a kameo bar to cancel a string into that directly, which does a single overhead as a summon and then follows it up with another overhead that's like an ambush that connects at the same time you can start your low string.

The only thing is there are big gaps in that sequence, but there's another option where you can precede Volleyballistic with a Tornado Kick if you want to burn the whole kameo meter, which is an ambush so you can kinda stagger it in different ways so that people can't really be sure where the gaps are. The cool thing there too is you can not only time when you want the instant to come out, but there's also leeway for when you want to trigger the Volleyballistic part of it.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
TBH I'm finding invisibility quite redundant/useless. It takes way too much to start and even if you block a hit while it is starting, you lose it. Either make it much faster or make it not go away on hit.

Gravelands

Cory, Trevor, smokes. Let's go.
TBH I'm finding invisibility quite redundant/useless. It takes way too much to start and even if you block a hit while it is starting, you lose it. Either make it much faster or make it not go away on hit.
Goddamn this is a quote I've seen dating back since 2015, and it's as true today as it was then.

Yeah I think this could help him a lot. His standard overhead would be a lot more useful if people can't see it lol.

Have you figured out what the EX invisibility does? I don't think it triggers any quicker or lasts any longer.