What's new

Reptile General Discussion

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
What’s the difference between normal and metet burn invisibility. Seems exactly the same to me
Meterburned invis makes him go invisible slightly faster.

Overall I'm feeling he's a very stiff character (unlike, say, Raiden). Has ok meterless damage but isnt crazy on mixups and setups. Sektor is also my kameo choice so far, ending combos with f4,2+ invisibility and setting up a rocket.

I miss his lightning fast dash combos and 50/50 mixups while invisible from MKX, this is quite the watered down version compared to that.

So, F3 for whiff punishes, it's a high so not the best footsie tool.

B3 is slow.

F2 is slow to be his fastest mid option, but can be useful.

I've tried Sektor and Sonya as Kameo so far. Sonya

Sonya helps make some of the useless strings combo starters and gives a regular projectile, but Sektor adds to the setup game and counter zoning with uppercut. Plus a restand. Feeling underwhelmed at the start, though.

first impressions, hope I'm wrong but...

10/10 design
1/10 gameplay

so dull... he has 5 special moves:
elbow dash, as always
force ball, as always
slide, as always
invisibility
and an air teleport (????)

So basically one new special move, that has nothing to do with the character.

it seems force ball is the only move you can combo off. The rest are finishers.
Damage is good it seems, you can get like 50% with kameo extentions.
his strings seem fine, but the rest is just pretty underwhelming in terms of creativity, specially compared with characters like geras that has a ton of options

Dolphin-Dive

Observer
Not sure if this was an intentional design choice or not but F32 seems to only be special cancellable into slide or invisibility. You can't cancel into elbow dash or acid spit. Would be nice to end combos into dash for the knockdown at the very least.

Not sure if this was an intentional design choice or not but F32 seems to only be special cancellable into slide or invisibility. You can't cancel into elbow dash or acid spit. Would be nice to end combos into dash for the knockdown at the very least.
you can cancel into to acid spit and also fatal blow!

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
Has anyone unlocked his green outfit similar to the one that is purchasable right now that is redish? I believe it was seen in story mode as well towards the end?

Meterburned invis makes him go invisible slightly faster.

Overall I'm feeling he's a very stiff character (unlike, say, Raiden). Has ok meterless damage but isnt crazy on mixups and setups. Sektor is also my kameo choice so far, ending combos with f4,2+ invisibility and setting up a rocket.

I miss his lightning fast dash combos and 50/50 mixups while invisible from MKX, this is quite the watered down version compared to that.
Man if you miss reptile from MKX you should have seen mk9. He was a thing of beauty. This is the best he’s looked but the worst he’s ever played. Everything feels soo watered down it’s insane.
Nrs again proves they’re afraid to take true risks in a game. This is starting to feel a lot like mk11 with kameos.
A billion recovery frames on everything. Everything is negative but now we’re just expected to use kameos to cover.
There is this promise of depth but I e believe it’s just an illusion and we’ll all be bored of the game soon like mk11.
I hope I’m proven wrong

I’m pretty done with nrs. Again they make useless/ watered down specials. But the worst part is the lack of creativity. Like wow. So basic…

no interesting mechanics/ properties to his game play. Very reminiscent of mk11.

you can cancel f32 into spit and it doesn’t even connect…. Smh

Also mb invisibility does not turn you invisible faster. I still can’t figure out the difference from normal invisibility

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
Man if you miss reptile from MKX you should have seen mk9. He was a thing of beauty. This is the best he’s looked but the worst he’s ever played. Everything feels soo watered down it’s insane.
Nrs again proves they’re afraid to take true risks in a game. This is starting to feel a lot like mk11 with kameos.
A billion recovery frames on everything. Everything is negative but now we’re just expected to use kameos to cover.
There is this promise of depth but I e believe it’s just an illusion and we’ll all be bored of the game soon like mk11.
I hope I’m proven wrong
Mk9 reptile was ok, but not able to cancel into plus invisibility frames mid-string for 50/50s and had mostly shit normals. Best elbow dash though.

I'll agree that this game has none of the fluidity of MKX I was expecting, but I suppose that's just me adapting to the new buttons.

Also, pairing Reptile with Sektor seems to be the most useful match imo. Do a kombo, end with F3, 2 XX invisibility and call sektor rocket. Then just rush them down with jump in or elbow dash into b3,1 xx whatever

Syzoth

The last Saurian from Zaterra - Syzoth - Reptile
It says you can cancel B2 charge is this actually possible?
Yes!

You have to hold the 2 while you do the other input and don't delay your input at all. Go straight into death roll. You can use acid apit but it's not a mixup if you use acid spit.

You can also cancel into invisibility but considering your combining a slow startup with a slow startup - I wouldn't recommend it.

Syzoth

The last Saurian from Zaterra - Syzoth - Reptile
I have some tidbits to throw in as tech. He's got some gimmicks that I'm catching people with. The lack of overhead threat and the low damage make it hard to pick up as opposed to Li Mei, Baraka and Liu Kang which are the other characters I've tried so far.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
I have some tidbits to throw in as tech. He's got some gimmicks that I'm catching people with. The lack of overhead threat and the low damage make it hard to pick up as opposed to Li Mei, Baraka and Liu Kang which are the other characters I've tried so far.
Care to elaborate?

What is the game plan with this character? Seems very rushdown heavy but has no mix, no plus frames..? Can't zone with spit and forceballs really anymore.

Seems like Sareena might be best kameo, like just in general, since you can cash out big damage and start combos safely with her B R1. Pressuring with it is gimmicky tho since all hits are high.

Scorpion has a overhead you can kombo off but i feel like it might be fuzzy-able, since you can't really kombo into it. You can also kombo off f211 and f311 midscreen with the far up fireballs. I have only been able to get like 24% tho. You can do 30% ish in the corner

Haven't tried sektor yet.

EDIT: you can combo into scorpions overhead I was mistaken. Honeybee has a video on comboing with scorpion.

Last edited:

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
Yeah I was easily the most excited to play Reptile in this game, but holy shit is he gross to use. Reptile has never been this slow before, it legit feels nasty.

I Mained him in MKX and man it's a night and day difference in their capabilities.

reptile is weird to figure out, but as always he's this weird mix of zoner and rushdowner, like a forward moving zoner. i think i'll settle with scorpion as kameo for now and see whats possible online.

Zviko

Noob
Yeah pretty much agree with everyone. Frist impressions, I'm disappointed so far. I'm having a lot more fun with everyone else, even characters I had 0 interest in. Reptile feels limited compared to the rest and the least fun from all I've tried so far which is like most of the roster.