What's new

Reptile General Discussion

Kamikaze_Highlander

PSN: Windude008
Didn't see a bug thread so just posting this here for visibility, hope its allowed. It seems EX death roll has been consistently desynching games online(PC), not sure if anyone is having the same issue. Really frustrating. I've already made a bug report on WB you find here.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
So some of the things I've learned. Haven't done a read through the thread, so not sure what you guys have found.

-d4 acid hand from MK9 is...kinda back? Cancelling to close and medium forceball is a trap, especially when spaced.

-Both lvl2 b2 and f32 are safe jump setups. b2 needs manual timing (tap direction then jump). f32 is auto-timed. b2 route is necessary for some wakeups in the corner (Reiko for example).

-Ketchup and Mustard talked about Reptile in their tier list, and mentioned that Sub helps with invisibility setups pretty well and might be the way going forward. Been experimenting and yeah, I'm inclined to agree. I won't be surprised if kameos that help set up invisibility are going to work the best for him.

Idk, the more I play Reptile, the more I think he's...largely fine? He's seeming to be a mid-range pressure character with invisibility mind games. Probably has a decently high ceiling.

Zviko

Noob
So some of the things I've learned. Haven't done a read through the thread, so not sure what you guys have found.

-d4 acid hand from MK9 is...kinda back? Cancelling to close and medium forceball is a trap, especially when spaced.

-Both lvl2 b2 and f32 are safe jump setups. b2 needs manual timing (tap direction then jump). f32 is auto-timed. b2 route is necessary for some wakeups in the corner (Reiko for example).

-Ketchup and Mustard talked about Reptile in their tier list, and mentioned that Sub helps with invisibility setups pretty well and might be the way going forward. Been experimenting and yeah, I'm inclined to agree. I won't be surprised if kameos that help set up invisibility are going to work the best for him.

Idk, the more I play Reptile, the more I think he's...largely fine? He's seeming to be a mid-range pressure character with invisibility mind games. Probably has a decently high ceiling.
Yeah I think he’s fine too it’s just the invisibility that it could be better. Compared to Smoke who doesn’t even need it to mix you up yet he can be fully invisible instantly.

I've been trying Sub as well, seems great in some matches but I prefer Cyrax in others. I think they're two of the strongest Kameos.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Yeah I think he’s fine too it’s just the invisibility that it could be better. Compared to Smoke who doesn’t even need it to mix you up yet he can be fully invisible instantly.
I think Reptile's invisibility is intended to be a massive piece of his kit in comparison to Smoke, which is why it functions like that. He gets it meterless with the right kameos. Also, the setup can loop back into itself easily.
I've been trying Sub as well, seems great in some matches but I prefer Cyrax in others. I think they're two of the strongest Kameos.
Haven't tried Cyrax, but are there any good routes to get a net to set up invisibility? Also, Sub's armor feels really invaluable to Reptile's neutral. In the long run, I think Sub's utility will win out for Reptile.

KeyBlaz

Noob
I think Reptile's invisibility is intended to be a massive piece of his kit in comparison to Smoke, which is why it functions like that. He gets it meterless with the right kameos. Also, the setup can loop back into itself easily.

Haven't tried Cyrax, but are there any good routes to get a net to set up invisibility? Also, Sub's armor feels really invaluable to Reptile's neutral. In the long run, I think Sub's utility will win out for Reptile.
I tend to like Sub Zero more for the ice armor too helps with the zoning wars or people just throwing projectiles that just beat the crap out of mine. And the invis is just feels easier to get into for me.

Also Scorpion has been great for low overhead mix at least till people get used to that timing. But also hes pulled me out of bad situations. Like Kenshi doll set up crap. Scorpion saved me there a couple times.

Kunglao has good some good bonuses with low hat and some combo potential. I dont like the combos with kung they all seem to do lower dmg than my solo combos but better lab monsters can probably find stuff. The set up of low hat to protect strings and low hat over head mix feels good. Also just jumping in the air with a low hat seems to help open people as well but thats more universal. And low hat cooldown is nuts. Have not found a use for tele yet.

And Sareena well dmg and meter drain. Just dmg thats it. But Scorpion can probably get better dmg maybe. But good for new players to just have her.

I did try some stuff with Sonya today as well. Got really ok dmg combos off the charged B2/overhead with a square wave. Couldn't really use her projectile other than just trading or using it as faster fire ball wars. Her leg grab wasn't really impressed with what i got off it. I just think other kameos can provide what she does a little better.

Im messing around with Sektor tomorrow and see what I can find.

Last edited:
It actually did
Reptile is a very good character, has everything you need and the combo potential in this game is insanely open. The shit you can do with Kameos is beyond insane.
For example, you can use Kameos to setup his invisibility, juggle to a ridiculous number of hits, Stryker grenades makes everything safe and allows him to juggle off his S3 with obnoxious range. His B31 is probably the best or second best wiff punishing move that can be used while back wave dashing.
I really don't understand why you feel reptile is veriety starved in the setup/combo department?

BTW I wasn't trying to be rude. I completely understand why someone would say this pre launch. NRS has had a bad track record especially after MKX variation nerfs and all of 11.

In my opinion MK1 is the funest MK since 9 only problem is the bugs and quality of life issues like inability to pin moves in practice, go in lab while waiting in koth/Kombat league, no WIFI filter or at least the ability to see if they use busted WIFI that's toasting bread.

Kyu

CHOO CHOO BANE TRAIN
Is there a reason to use f23 over 23 in combos? They’re virtually the same string.

KeyBlaz

Noob
Is there a reason to use f23 over 23 in combos? They’re virtually the same string.
only reason i see is if you need something faster than 12 frames. Like its easier for me to do 23 when i land fully charged B2 cause it feels like i whiff f23 (not sure if its possible probably is and im just bad).

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
So, after trying again some matches with Reptile, it seems my top problem with him is his strings. For some reason, he seems stiff as FUCK. Am I the only one feeling this? I mean, I had no problems like this while trying out Scorpion, Mileena, Smoke, Baraka, Sindel and Johnny. Somehow my fingers don't "flow" through the inputs - maybe it's something to do with more active frames/his strings being mostly -7 on block instead of 0?

Also, I spent a good hour in practice mode trying to nail down the Reptile + Scorpion kameo invisibility setup timing (starter combo xx f3, 2 (up kameo) xx invisibility xx forceball) and ALWAYS whiff the forceball. What is the timing? I was trying to activate the Scorpion fireballs right when Reptile sticks his hand on the enemy, to no avail. Sometimes Scorpion would appear wayy offscreen, sometimes only the first fireball would hit and sometimes both fireballs would hit, but still wouldnt give me enough time to land another forceball. Any one struggled with this and has any advice?

bmoee1

Noob
So, after trying again some matches with Reptile, it seems my top problem with him is his strings. For some reason, he seems stiff as FUCK. Am I the only one feeling this? I mean, I had no problems like this while trying out Scorpion, Mileena, Smoke, Baraka, Sindel and Johnny. Somehow my fingers don't "flow" through the inputs - maybe it's something to do with more active frames/his strings being mostly -7 on block instead of 0?

Also, I spent a good hour in practice mode trying to nail down the Reptile + Scorpion kameo invisibility setup timing (starter combo xx f3, 2 (up kameo) xx invisibility xx forceball) and ALWAYS whiff the forceball. What is the timing? I was trying to activate the Scorpion fireballs right when Reptile sticks his hand on the enemy, to no avail. Sometimes Scorpion would appear wayy offscreen, sometimes only the first fireball would hit and sometimes both fireballs would hit, but still wouldnt give me enough time to land another forceball. Any one struggled with this and has any advice?
That timing is weird but I tend to call scorpion into invis cancel, right before he pulls away from the belt. It’s a tight timing but after a while, you can get it down. May take more than hour tbh.

you can also watch the slime. When it gets to his groin area, you can usually get the forceball out.

Last edited:

KeyBlaz

Noob
That timing is weird but I tend to call scorpion into invis cancel, right before he pulls away from the belt. It’s a tight timing but after a while, you can get it down. May take more than hour tbh.

you can also watch the slime. When it gets to his groin area, you can usually get the forceball out.
i just tried doing this and yall are on to something. But there ain't no way im gonna be able to do this online.

bmoee1

Noob
just give it a few hours in the lab to lock in. You will deplete lifebars soon enough. Just can’t expect to have it down in two secs.

Jobe

Noob
Not sure if this is known or not but you can stack invis and ice armor if you time them to hit at the same time. Call assist slightly before going invis.

Reptile is a very good character, has everything you need and the combo potential in this game is insanely open. The shit you can do with Kameos is beyond insane.
For example, you can use Kameos to setup his invisibility, juggle to a ridiculous number of hits, Stryker grenades makes everything safe and allows him to juggle off his S3 with obnoxious range. His B31 is probably the best or second best wiff punishing move that can be used while back wave dashing.
I really don't understand why you feel reptile is veriety starved in the setup/combo department?

BTW I wasn't trying to be rude. I completely understand why someone would say this pre launch. NRS has had a bad track record especially after MKX variation nerfs and all of 11.

In my opinion MK1 is the funest MK since 9 only problem is the bugs and quality of life issues like inability to pin moves in practice, go in lab while waiting in koth/Kombat league, no WIFI filter or at least the ability to see if they use busted WIFI that's toasting bread.
Lol give it up. You’re just looking silly trying to save face.. reptile is obviously one of the weaker characters in the game. No one is saying you can’t win with him but he’s definitely lower mid to bottom tier.

Lol give it up. You’re just looking silly trying to save face.. reptile is obviously one of the weaker characters in the game. No one is saying you can’t win with him but he’s definitely lower mid to bottom tier.
Dude bottom tier is B that's not a tier I consider unviable and every top players tier list says that much, they all say Rep is good and has everything you need, he just doesn't have the amazing dirt the S Tiers have at a base character level, there are crazy dirt with Kameos that s universal. He has the best invisibility with legit 50/50 and stagger throw mix and probably the best walk back wiff punisher (B31)

Here we go, again. The Sub-Zero MU with his Ice Clone BS
I know with Baraka you can armor through clone on reaction with his stab lunge. Can't reptile Armor through with slide roll?

Meterless clone punish with reptile, on read

Really strong neutral tool:

Meterless clone punish no read required:

None of these are optimal because my brother plays reptile.

Last edited:
Dude bottom tier is B that's not a tier I consider unviable and every top players tier list says that much, they all say Rep is good and has everything you need, he just doesn't have the amazing dirt the S Tiers have at a base character level, there are crazy dirt with Kameos that s universal. He has the best invisibility with legit 50/50 and stagger throw mix and probably the best walk back wiff punisher (B31)
The issue I keep having with Reptile is that the things you said are true but with big caveats. Like he has overheads, but they're slow and unsafe. His b31 is cool, but there's a big gap that people learn to blow up pretty quick. His invisibility would be cool and set up 50/50s, but it's so much work to get the invisibility going. The best luck I've found is rolling with Darrius and getting people into the unblockable scenario with his dual overheads and hitting with a low starter as the second one connects, but that takes the whole kameo meter, and it's less effective when people realize what's happening.

That's the thing, there's some okay stuff you can do with him, but he gets much harder to play when people actually learn the matchup. I feel like too many of my wins are against people that just don't know what his tools are. I really just want to learn that I'm using him wrong and maybe I'm overlooking what I should be aiming for.

Zviko

Noob
He has the best invisibility with legit 50/50 and stagger throw mix and probably the best walk back wiff punisher (B31)
What do you mean the best invisibility? You mean the one that compared to Smoke's takes ages to startup and the meter one doesn't do anything differently? And what do you mean by legit 50/50? There's still sound which means for such a long overhead startup that should be good enough and also, screen snaps back a little bit when he goes for the overhead. I bet players in competitive scene will react to his mix up even while invisible.