What's new

Reo's MK 11 Tier list

Rewind needs to shut the hell up.

Different tiers of characters is what makes fighting games fun.

Fighting games are boring AF if all characters are the same strengths.

This dude better not have any influence on NRS.
How is it fun to have the characters you like in a trash tier and have the same S tier characters showing up at tournaments over and over? Making characters balanced doesn't mean making them less unique, they can still have different toolsets and be on roughly equal ground

HAMMER

Noob
How is it fun to have the characters you like in a trash tier and have the same S tier characters showing up at tournaments over and over? Making characters balanced doesn't mean making them less unique, they can still have different toolsets and be on roughly equal ground
If you play to win, then play and use a character that is high tier.

If you play for fun, pick your "favorite" character.

I choose my characters in MKX on three merits:

1. Play style
  2. Viability (High Tier - S Tier)
  3. Character moves
It's your fault for being married to one character.

For instance:

MK9: I used Kano and was successful with him online. I know, I know, online doesn't count. But he was still ranked as the lowest character on the tier list. I thought he was under-rated, and I also thought he was the best Kano they ever created (still do). I also mained Kung Lao because I thought he was the coolest Kung Lao they ever made in an MK game, and he was also high tier.

MKX: Imposter Shinnok after he got his over-head; Jason Voorhees after the buffs (Relentless); and Kung Jin Shaolin.

You gotta stop being married to one character.

Once MKX came with that last patch to pull everyone tighter tier-wise, I dropped the game. Shit was boring AF.

Tanya, Alien, before the nerfs were fun AF. If you don't like being beaten by them then you can use them yourself. Since you know, they aren't exclusive to one guy.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
If you play to win, then play and use a character that is high tier.

If you play for fun, pick your "favorite" character.

I choose my characters in MKX on three merits:

1. Play style
  2. Viability (High Tier - S Tier)
  3. Character moves
It's your fault for being married to one character.

For instance:

MK9: I used Kano and was successful with him online. I know, I know, online doesn't count. But he was still ranked as the lowest character on the tier list. I thought he was under-rated, and I also thought he was the best Kano they ever created (still do). I also mained Kung Lao because I thought he was the coolest Kung Lao they ever made in an MK game, and he was also high tier.

MKX: Imposter Shinnok after he got his over-head; Jason Voorhees after the buffs (Relentless); and Kung Jin Shaolin.

You gotta stop being married to one character.

Once MKX came with that last patch to pull everyone tighter tier-wise, I dropped the game. Shit was boring AF.

Tanya, Alien, before the nerfs were fun AF. If you don't like being beaten by them then you can use them yourself. Since you know, they aren't exclusive to one guy.
So going by your logic, NRS shouldnt have nerfed vanilla Raiden. Cause vanilla Tanya and Alien were that same thing. Broken. You dropped the game cause most of the cast was balanced by the end of MKX? W00t? That was the time when the game was the most fun and it had variety in tournaments.

No one believes in a magic world called "fighting game balanced cast" cause it cant and wont exist. What people want, in an extend, is a fg which the majority of the cast is able to compete. That is not an irrational thing to ask for.

MK11 is on the right path in general in becoming probably the best fighting game NRS has produced up to date.

HAMMER

Noob
So going by your logic, NRS shouldnt have nerfed vanilla Raiden. Cause vanilla Tanya and Alien were that same thing. Broken. You dropped the game cause most of the cast was balanced by the end of MKX? W00t? That was the time when the game was the most fun and it had variety in tournaments.

No one believes in a magic world called "fighting game balanced cast" cause it cant and wont exist. What people want, in an extend, is a fg which the majority of the cast is able to compete. That is not an irrational thing to ask for.

MK11 is on the right path in general in becoming probably the best fighting game NRS has produced up to date.
You have odd tastes.

Imagine if America was filled with the same type of mind-set; race; and religion. That wouldn't bore you since it's "evening" up the competition?

Fighting games with hardly distinguished tier lists are pathetic, dry, and boring AF.

And fuck yeah I quit after the last patch, shit made the game boring AF. All because scrubs couldn't see an armored reversal coming.

The only character that deserved nerfing in MKX was Tanya.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
You have odd tastes.

Imagine if America was filled with the same type of mind-set; race; and religion. That wouldn't bore you since it's "evening" up the competition?

Fighting games with hardly distinguished tier lists are pathetic, dry, and boring AF.

And fuck yeah I quit after the last patch, shit made the game boring AF. All because scrubs couldn't see an armored reversal coming.

Have you played against vanilla Raiden in MKX?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I thought tier list were banned from TYM at least for a month. I guess "top players" are immune to this. They had top picks and tiers lists since day one yet they were all hypocritical saying "no top tier list when the game comes out, let the game breath, let it grow"
Technically REO didn't post his tier list to TYM. Looking through the thread the meta discussion is good, so it's worth letting it rock.

But my thoughts are that we make this the Month 1 tier megathread and just merge all similar discussion here until the end of May.

Either way, the important points right now are not the tiers. Most of this is subject to be wrong. But discussion about characters' matchups and how they navigate the meta is where the real value is. So hopefully people realize that, rather than arguing over silly things like whether a character is 'A or A+' in Week 2.

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
This is a decent list but I have a disagree with a lot of it. I am but a humble nobody but here is my list:

S Tier: Baraka, Cassie, Cetrion (Sleeper OP), Dvorah (People haven't figured her out yet)
A Tier: Erron Black (Overrated), Frost, Geras, Jacqui, Jade, Jax
B Tier: Johnny, Kabal, Kano, Kitana., Kotal, Kollector
B- Tier: Kung Lao, Liu Kang, Noob Saibot, Raiden, Scorpion (Hella Overrated), Shao Kahn
C (Secret Trash Tier): Skarlet, Sonya, Sub
So, basically, Reo's tier list:

And you tier list:

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Technically REO didn't post his tier list to TYM. Looking through the thread the meta discussion is good, so it's worth letting it rock.

But my thoughts are that we make this the Month 1 tier megathread and just merge all similar discussion here until the end of May.

Either way, the important points right now are not the tiers. Most of this is subject to be wrong. But discussion about characters' matchups and how they navigate the meta is where the real value is. So hopefully people realize that, rather than arguing over silly things like whether a character is 'A or A+' in Week 2.
Couldnt agree more. But there are some characters that are truly much lower than others in terms of tools. Thats worth discussing as well since NRS is checking these threads from what i ve heard. As long as things wont get heated its not a bad thing to discuss about CURRENT tier lists as well.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Yep. He got nerfed very quickly though.
And you think that the nerf wasnt justified? Cause you said that the only character that needed nerfing was Tanya in your previous post. My point is, its not a bad thing to have variety in tournaments. It shows the depth of a game.

If everyone was picking a broken character, we would be seeing the same stuff each round, each game, each tournament. Imagine a top 8 in EVO compiled of only Tanya players, or HQT Predator players etc. That game would be dead right after the end of EVO.

HAMMER

Noob
And you think that the nerf wasnt justified? Cause you said that the only character that needed nerfing was Tanya in your previous post. My point is, its not a bad thing to have variety in tournaments. It shows the depth of a game.

If everyone was picking a broken character, we would be seeing the same stuff each round, each game, each tournament. Imagine a top 8 in EVO compiled of only Tanya players, or HQT Predator players etc. That game would be dead right after the end of EVO.
You forgot character loyalist like Tom Brady (slight joke; I know he sways)! There will always be people using other characters.

jokey77

Character Loyalist

Alien did kill a lot of hype for MK X indeed!

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
You have odd tastes.

Except that’s not a fair comparison. A fair comparison would be campaigning for equality of races, religions etc.; not homogeneity.

People don’t want every character to play the same; they want every character to be viable.

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain
Here is Sajams tier list. I was thinking about creating a separate thread for it, but I didn't want Eldriken to perform any fatalities on me.

Sajam has been around forever and has created countless game and character guides for NRS games, but also many other fighting games. He is also actively commentating and doing his best to figure out every character to know what to say about them. His list also looks very similar to REOs.

HAMMER

Noob
Except that’s not a fair comparison. A fair comparison would be campaigning for equality of races, religions etc.; not homogeneity.

People don’t want every character to play the same; they want every character to be viable.
I'm a person. And I don't want that.

NeroOps

Death Before Dishonor
Scorpion and Subzero aren't S tier, they're more like A tier.
Liu Kang would be A tier but he's broken until that bug is fixed which puts him in a unknown tier section.

FunnyMan

Noob
You have odd tastes.

I honestly can't tell if you're joking. it's a videogame. If you can't see the difference between that and an actual country then that's on you. Real life isn't supposed to be fun but games are. Having a larger pool of viable characters to pick from adds to that fun for a lot of people. if you don't care about picking a character you think looks cool and only care about their playstyle then that's cool and good for you. For me and most people I know though being able to win with a character I like is a nice bonus.

HAMMER

Noob
I honestly can't tell if you're joking. it's a videogame. If you can't see the difference between that and an actual country then that's on you. Real life isn't supposed to be fun but games are. Having a larger pool of viable characters to pick from adds to that fun for a lot of people. if you don't care about picking a character you think looks cool and only care about their playstyle then that's cool and good for you. For me and most people I know though being able to win with a character I like is a nice bonus.
Wrong. Having stronger characters and weaker characters = fun. Having all characters be around the same level = boring.

Wrong. Having stronger characters and weaker characters = fun. Having all characters be around the same level = boring.
Sorry dude but having a balanced cast where seeing representation of all characters is common is the right answer here. I mean, did you really get hyped up seeing aquaman v aquaman? How about in DBFZ pre nerfs where every top 8 had a combo of cell/bardock/android 16? It gets stale very quickly.

People WANT to see their favourite characters on equal terms with the entire roster, so that they can compete in a fair exchange, and where the highest level of play isn't reduced to a tiny pool of character options.

Last edited: