What's new

Reiko General Discussion

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
P.S. Who'shis best kameo?
I'm been using Motaro....but Kung Loa is good

Motaro could be the top dog... or horse in this case... he gives some zoning protection (why I prefer to Kung Loa), and a better Fatal... but the big thing he brings is the sequence cancel teleport move thing-o. This is huge and can lead to crazy damage.

I've also been playing with Striker and found him really good. He basically adds true 50/50 to him as well as a restand that is not a stun but enough to get out another command grab. I've only just started paying about with it, but I think all the 50.50 with all Reiko's tools is a big win.

Before Striker I was using Darrius for the same reasons. As he adds a wicked cross up flip kick kind of thing leading to a hard-to-block setup that is pretty much unblockable for my old man reflexes.

Edit : just started watching Sonic vs Wakka and rewind is using Skryker... so I might be onto soemthing!

Last edited:
Forward 1, 2, 3 can be replaced with 3 (or forward 3) into Knee into 3, 4, into Takedown for solid metereless damage that puts them on the ground. From there you can get on top of them again and go for forward 2 for overhead on their wakeup or immediate command grab if you've conditioned them to block. If you think they're going to wake up, MB Takedown again to put them back in the same position

(take everything I say with a grain of salt. Just going off what I've seen, lab'd and done so far)

Do not sleep on Reiko's stars either. They're VERY good as a projectile and if you are using a kameo like Sareena and catch them doing something full screen with her double toss you can MB stars them for considerable no-risk damage.

Disasterpiese

it's not over when you lose, it'over when you quit
Not going to lie, Reiko's overhead seems really strong but besides that i feel like hes very straight forward. Also, is it me or does his start-up frames slow as heck on a lot of his strings?

I think sareena because you easily foetsie with B3 - sareena, full combo.

But

Darius is handy to extent combos but does not give a hell more damage so far I labbed it.

Goro gives a free air stomp after command grab and combo extension with his grab B-kameo

Sector gives alot of pressure with up rocket Or make you save after F124 or knee

I find that F12 is way too minus too stagger and it's irritating me, goro and darrius can make that in too a pressure stagger.

Hope this helps a lil bit

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Pick Stryker for the handcuffs reset in combos. B+2 jails after handcuffs and I believe that standing 1 jails after blocked b+2. Stars and low grenade complement each other in zoning. Stryker's overhead and low assists may also have some use in strings.

Pick Sektor for zoning (missile assist) and anti-zoning (teleport assist). You can also use the missile assist to close the gap by running and canceling the run and starting your offense. If the teleport assist does not trade with a projectile, you can combo with EX slide from very far ranges. I have not found much use for the flamethrower assist, though.

Unfortunately, Sareena does not increase Reiko's damage output as much as she does for other characters, and I have yet to unlock Motaro. Based on Rewind's casual sets with top players, Stryker appears to be the ideal assist at this time.

Pick Stryker for the handcuffs reset in combos. B+2 jails after handcuffs and I believe that standing 1 jails after blocked b+2. Stars and low grenade complement each other in zoning. Stryker's overhead and low assists may also have some use in strings.
Ok cool, I started with stryker and liked playing him with Reiko but I wasn't sure if he was the go-to. I really hope Reiko isn't god tier. He has like 5 moves but he's so good at least so far. Still too early to decide.

NHDR

Noob
No idea if he's good or not but I am enjoying Reiko so far. He actually reminds me of Commando Kano, who I played in MKX and really liked. Fits like a glove.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
He has like 5 moves but he's so good at least so far.
I agree that he is good. Arguably very good.

In a game full of bad projectiles, he actually has a great one.

Safe and long range d+4. Also one of the best in the game.

At 16 frames, one of the fastest, if not the fastest, overhead attacks in the game.

One of two characters who has a command grab.

Decent advancing string with f+1,2.

Charging pain provides solid mobility on the ground.

Damage output is low while anti-zoning options are lacking. Kameos may cover these weaknesses, though.

I like to add that ending combos with his command grab is probably not worth it compared to the tackle. The command grab puts you too far from the opponent to get any good pressure on wake up. The tackle only does like 1.5-2% less damage but you get better footing on the opponent as you have more hit advantage and stay within f1 range.

I would only do command grabs as a mix but not as combo enders.

Prefacing this by saying game is new and takes are pretty wild and worthless right now but after running a FTDeath against Enchanter Remus' Raiden I think I can pretty confidently say I'll be hopping off the Reiko train. I love grapplers but the damage on his command grab is too low and without any tick throws it just feels clunky. His overhead is maybe the most fun button to press in the game but with such a low damage output overall it just feltbadman.

This is probably a me problem but I really couldn't seem to get any mileage out of his mids, B3 string is gapped and F1 just doesn't have good enough frame data to stagger with, so it felt like I was contesting a lot with pokes and didn't have anything good and safe to cancel into for a mindgame. It was my birthday last night and I was high as shit so maybe that had something to do with it :laughing: I dunno man, he just feels clunky and I wanted to see if anyone else was let down with his design so far. I really like to imagine I'm just playing him wrong but man am I sad he didn't play the way I imagined

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I like to add that ending combos with his command grab is probably not worth it compared to the tackle. The command grab puts you too far from the opponent to get any good pressure on wake up. The tackle only does like 1.5-2% less damage but you get better footing on the opponent as you have more hit advantage and stay within f1 range.
Good point, but the tackle always switches sides, which you may not want sometimes.

If you are using Sektor, you can end combos with the command grab and call a missile for oki, and obviously if you are using Stryker, you end combos with handcuffs.

Yeah that's why I think it needs to be nerfed. He has basically best of both worlds. His overhead is no joke either, it's insanely fast and it has decent push back which is also really good.

Also, i watched a video of a Reiko parrying Reptile's death roll. Can you parry low?

https://x.com/17_TheHitman/status/1703619816773333044?s=20 <<<<< That's the vid.
I don't think he that great compare to some of the crazy things other characters can pull off. he can't combo off his mix ups. he needs at least something going for him.

Last edited:
While I agree rekio easily has one of the top 5 projectiles in the game, if not the best, it's soooo far from needing nerfing at this point. Let it rock. People still aren't even using kameo's to their full potential and I think that's going to warp the game a ton.

Good point, but the tackle always switches sides, which you may not want sometimes.

If you are using Sektor, you can end combos with the command grab and call a missile for oki, and obviously if you are using Stryker, you end combos with handcuffs.
If you do ex slide combos, the tackle will keep Reiko on the side where he started.

Yeah that's why I think it needs to be nerfed. He has basically best of both worlds. His overhead is no joke either, it's insanely fast and it has decent push back which is also really good.

Why can't Reiko be a top character? Why would you want to nerf him?

NHDR

Noob
No nerfs to anything, let people figure stuff out first. Not counting early access, isn't the game officially out today? Way too early to nerf anything (except, for example an infinite combo).

kantboy2

Pale Rider
His projectile is a high and a mid if you spend bar; why do you want it nerfed? It doesn't do that much damage, it's just a tool to keep fireball wars in check for him.

His high parry should have his red aura so he has greater range. Looks weird that that's the only special without his red aura.

I feel like Reiko's back 3 is good for neutral game but, when it comes to punishing i feel like its too slow and his forward+1 is kinda slow too and has T-Rex arms. What's the best string i could use to punish?

kantboy2

Pale Rider
I think his best punish starter is his standing 3, but you have to juggle them afterward to actually get a combo unless your opponent is in the corner. But I love knocking them down with F4 and getting close.

I'm still not comfortable getting air combos with Reiko, but that's what Kameos are for, I guess.