What's new

Reiko General Discussion

HiddenSelectCounterPick

Crossplay Username: ProbablyMinus
Got comm and share banned for 2 days on a false report so this is how I can show you my Reiko gimmick

Tell me what you think

So here's a weird Reiko thing...

Shurikens do variable damage depending on if any hit simultaneously. If they do, it doesn't damage scale them.

Try it point blank with EX.

After learning the Darrius combo with the command grab and just how well he puts pressure and his zoning is probably the best in the game, i think this guy is A+ or S. Reiko is sick but busted.

in one of the invasions fights where i fought reiko he had his classic hair,did anyone unlock it or is it unavailable at the moment like the scorpion deadly alliance skin?

kantboy2

Pale Rider
No; his head is the gear piece.

Looks like it's unavailable at the moment.

Replaying MK11 and I see Jacqui, Terminator, Rambo and Kano with the missing moves that Reiko needs. ;)

in one of the invasions fights where i fought reiko he had his classic hair,did anyone unlock it or is it unavailable at the moment like the scorpion deadly alliance skin?
That's not his MK4 hair.

His hair was like MK3 Sub-Zero. Slick back with white sides and had glowing blue eyes without pupils.

He needs his MK4 costume though. I also don't mind his Armageddon look because he is actually wearing boots. His sandals turn me off in this game.

That's not his MK4 hair.

His hair was like MK3 Sub-Zero. Slick back with white sides and had glowing blue eyes without pupils.

He needs his MK4 costume though. I also don't mind his Armageddon look because he is actually wearing boots. His sandals turn me off in this game.
yeah there wernt gray sides but the hair style was pretty much his clasissic mk4 one,same shape,and it was a million times better then his shitty ponytail,so i would really like to unlock it.

as for the blue eyes,we might need mods for that because they have been deliberetly giving characters human eyes/pupils these last few games so i dont think we will get it regularly,i mean they gave motaro human pupils,i still cant believe it,it looks so bad

skcuf

Noob
Reiko seems like he needs to work harder than everyone else to play the game. His 1 has about 4 inches of range so it seems to have connection issues. His pokes are utter trash. D1 is -8 on block and he doesn't really have any great hit confirmable strings. Not to mention his grab seems to be inconsistent with the range at which it works. Personally, I hate the bdf over the traditional nrs dbf or dfb inputs.

The command grab requiring two bars seems like a bit much to me as well. It doesn't even grant armor so you can just get poked out if you weren't able to adequately jail. Maybe I'm just salty, but I feel like most of my matches are won by one combo + a few projectiles and some F2 fun. He seems to be too honest, which makes no sense for a character with a grab.

Reiko seems like he needs to work harder than everyone else to play the game.
I'll break these down one by one because I strongly disagree BUT I thoroughly understand the feeling.

Reiko plays a DIFFERENT game than most characters in MK1. Maybe different than all (I lack the full roster knowledge to properly gauge that). He is VERY good though from what I've seen in higher level play at the moment and what I see on paper, etc. Please take what I say with a grain of salt though because I am not some uber player. I'm just breaking down what I've seen and I'll go over why I think his 'feel' is creating that sense in you.

His 1 has about 4 inches of range so it seems to have connection issues. His pokes are utter trash. D1 is -8 on block and he doesn't really have any great hit confirmable strings. Not to mention his grab seems to be inconsistent with the range at which it works.
A couple things...

D1 is not like D1 was in MK11. It is not a go-to. Reiko can use down 4 which has fantastic range and can go right into shurikens to stuff quite a bit. Reiko applies pressure with 2,1 (which is +2 on block). It is high but you need to make people TERRIFIED of crouch-blocking because of Reiko's F+2 as an overhead. It SMASHES people and eats other attacks alive while putting you in near-optimal position for Reiko afterwards. You want people to be afraid to block because of brainbuster. Crouch block? Get smashed (or maybe MB thrown). Stand block? Get 2,1'd (or maybe thrown). Attack? Maybe get smashed, maybe get 2,1'd. Do they have meter where they can use armored wake-up? Block and punish for 30-40% damage. Oh and if you have bar? Yeah maybe you just MB Tactical Takedown and beat out almost anything they do to put them into the situation all over again. Their options SUCK getting up and once you train them that their options suck, Reiko gets even stronger (more on that later).

Regarding general scramble stuff...

Reiko should be poking with devastating hits from mid-range (that NO character seems able to match). F+4. B+3. Anti-Air 3. His red aura is his hit box on attacks like these and not only is the range IMMENSE but the attacks do big damage and knock opponents on their ass. F+4 knocks people back which lets Reiko start applying shuriken pressure (probably the best projectile in the game) OR go in with dash for a low slide if you get the opening.

Anti-Air 3 lets you combo off of it with the 3, 4 route. 3, 4 -> MB Slide -> 3 -> Brainbuster -> Darrius -> 3 -> Brainbuster is 39%...off an anti-air that beats out almost everything in the game. Even without Darrius it's 28% and without MB or Darrius it's still 18%. Also EVERY SINGLE OPTION puts them in just about the worst possible situation on their back with Reiko ready to maul them from basically optimal range once again.

Oh and keep in mind this also all ignores Reiko's parry option db1.

These ranges also let you go with F+1, 2 string which has great damage output.

Meanwhile, 3 or B+3 on hit is confirmable into 26->63% damage depending on resources available to you. So one of the best attacks in the game for range and priority (Reiko has ZERO hurt box in his red aura hit box at max range) has just about the highest dump-it-all damage in the game with B+3->Knee Dash->3->MB Brainbuster->Darrius->3->MB Slide->Dash->3->Fatal Blow. That's 63%..all for using one of the best attacks in the game to stuff what they're doing. Even with ZERO resources, B+3 or 3 stuffing someone lets you do B+3->Knee->3,4->Tactical Takedown for 26% damage. Skies the limit up from there all the way to that 63% depending on what you have to spend.

Personally, I hate the bdf over the traditional nrs dbf or dfb inputs.
This one is personal preference but I've definitely found the motion is WAY less finicky for BDF than DBF ever was.

The command grab requiring two bars seems like a bit much to me as well. It doesn't even grant armor so you can just get poked out if you weren't able to adequately jail."
It's 21% for 2 bars. If you spend nothing else. Got Darrius? CONGRATS! You just got 40%. MB Brainbuster->Darrius->3,4->Tactical Takedown. Got 3 bars? Go crazy. MB Brainbuster->Darrius->3,4->MB Slide->3->Brainbuster. Over 48%. Nearly half their life because you got a grab on them.

Maybe I'm just salty, but I feel like most of my matches are won by one combo + a few projectiles and some F2 fun. He seems to be too honest, which makes no sense for a character with a grab.
I do agree that Reiko is 'honest' in that he's not about BS. He isn't doing what a lot of other characters are doing by fishing for high/low mix into combos. He's supposed to be dominating the pace of the game.

Far away? Shurikens all day.
Mid range? He's king with his kicks which can often lead to stupid damage.
Close up? They have to respect your multiple ways to put them on the ground on their back in the worst possible wake-up situation (Reiko might have the most advantageous oki stuff in the game).

That honesty is going to keep Reiko good. As people figure out gaps in other characters and learn their mix-ups they are going to get worse by virtue of shear knowledge gained. Reiko? He stays honest and stays strong. He is good at every range and when he has resources he becomes the hardest hitter around. Keep in mind that in ANY round where Reiko has Meter, Kameo and Fatal Blow, your opponent has to respect that they are DEAD if they open themselves up to a single brainbuster or a single (b)3 when they have ~60% or less life.

If you want less damage and more dirt with Reiko, just swap to Stryker. Now you're covering your approaches and retreats with grenades and jailing off of handcuffs while also getting an option for a low attack with baton that gives some good options for Reiko.

It's totally understandable if you don't like his style but if you play into it I think you'll find he's very strong.

Oh also please do not take the above post as a "You're wrong!" or some word of God or anything like that as that would 100% not be my intent. I'm not sure of your familiarity/skill with Reiko,etc and just wanted to help offer a perspective on why he seems strong/solid to me. I know sometimes long posts or whatever can be looked at as like preaching or wall-of-texting someone and, again, not my intent. Just trying to share my own input and insight on a character that is easily my favorite in the NRS era to play (and one of my all time favorite characters for design going back to Midway era).

Hope the post is useful to you or others.

Moms4lif3

Bruh.
I couldnt find any info on it so Im just gonna ask:

Is Reikos FB up close a straight up mix up between jump or block?

I played a fairly good Reiko today and he got me with his FB 3 times.

1st time - woa, this is a grab? Wtf
2nd time - ducked, woa this is a mid grab, wtf
3rd time - woo, jumped back and got a small punish
4th time - caught me jumping

I know u can press up while FBing to catch jumping opponents, but I couldnt find any way to get out of it? Its a straight guess when he does it in ur face? U cant back dash the grounded version either as far as I could tell?

A 30+% guaranteed mix up would be pretty insane to close out rounds...

Imo Reiko looks really solid rn, hes got some super good strengths and disgusting range and damage

skcuf

Noob
Oh also please do not take the above post as a "You're wrong!" or some word of God or anything like that as that would 100% not be my intent. I'm not sure of your familiarity/skill with Reiko,etc and just wanted to help offer a perspective on why he seems strong/solid to me. I know sometimes long posts or whatever can be looked at as like preaching or wall-of-texting someone and, again, not my intent. Just trying to share my own input and insight on a character that is easily my favorite in the NRS era to play (and one of my all time favorite characters for design going back to Midway era).

Hope the post is useful to you or others.
I'm not saying he's not strong, just he's got issues that make it more difficult to play him than other characters. If I recall correctly, s2 is a 10 frame high. I'm not sure what the 2,1 string is. However, if someone is mashing pokes (pretty often right now) then it's hard to actually enforce the 2,1 game. Hence my statement earlier around winning a lot with F2 fun. I have been using 1,2 more often, though. Switching to 2,1 might be a better play for me.

His range is good, but grounded he's got some pretty stiff competition. Scorpion, Shao, Ashara, and Tanya all come to mind. I'm really curious how you manage to hit confirm B3? I spent 20 minutes in training trying and it doesn't seem possible for me.

I assume I'm in the minority with my dbf over bdf. I play on keyboard so bdf from left to right is really difficult for me to roll my fingers and I get a lot of F1 fails when I'm on the P1 side. Skill issue, I know, but I play grapplers because I already have execution issues. I can read players really well and that's what makes me effective.

I'm also working on the assumption that we're going to get an actual grappler with our DLC (probably Omni Man based on his fights in the show) and this is going to nullify a lot of the issues Reiko has. If Darrius wasn't an option, I'd say Reiko is bottom mid tier. Because of the current Darrius interaction, he's probably upper mid. In terms of where he ranks for me personally with the last few NRS games and grapplers, he's probably close to Ferra Torr, MK11 release Kano or Kollector (although kollector's grab was mid) and slightly above MKX Jax and MK11 Rambo. He's nowhere near as good as MKX Kano, Kotal, or Jason.

I'm playing him for now, but I'll probably end up picking up someone who does some whacky stuff as well like Rain. Once a real grappler comes out then I'll probably drop Reiko all together. I agree that he'll become 'stronger' once the cast is known better and it's easier to punish and avoid getting hit.

I'm really curious how you manage to hit confirm B3?
I do B3B then the F3 if it hits though it is tighter than just 3 for sure.

I can definitely see how playing keyboard would make the Brainbuster motion tougher.

For tiering I'd disagree that he's bottom tier. Darrius is just a damage option for him. Stryker is also a very very good kameo option for him and I'll wager more stuff gets discovered with other kameos for him.

skcuf

Noob
I do B3B then the F3 if it hits though it is tighter than just 3 for sure.

I can definitely see how playing keyboard would make the Brainbuster motion tougher.

For tiering I'd disagree that he's bottom tier. Darrius is just a damage option for him. Stryker is also a very very good kameo option for him and I'll wager more stuff gets discovered with other kameos for him.
Not bottom tier, bottom mid. I'd put him somewhere around Havik and the 4 colorful ninjas. He's viable for most games, but he's probably not going to be winning any tournaments with Raiden, Kenshi and Johnny around.

I discover some new combos with Scorpion.

B34 can be full combo with far fire breath.
B34, UP+ R1, 34, BF3 ex, 3, BDF1. 34% 1 bar

Shurikens can be juggle off the air with far fire breath as an extension.
F124, 3, BF2, UP+R1, 3, BF3 ex, 3, BDF1. 36% 1 bar
3, BF3U, 3, BF2, UP+R1, 3, BF3 ex, 3, BDF1. 39% 1 bar

And of course you can opt to do any of Reiko's regular bnb's without having to meter burn slide since fire breath keeps the opponent in a juggle state with enough time for Reiko to recover and continue combos. You get about 1% more damage.

Reiko makes me feel like I’m playing street fighter V in mk1 especially when compared to the demonic things the cyrax users can do.

skcuf

Noob
Reiko makes me feel like I’m playing street fighter V in mk1 especially when compared to the demonic things the cyrax users can do.
This is exactly how I feel. I've been playing all week and trying to figure out what's going on with Reiko and if you use the Darrius Kameo it feels like I'm playing a traditional grappler from another game. I'm holding him where he's at with the tier lists, but I've found throws to be very powerful in this game. I'm not good enough with the command grab to verify the same, but this "throw Kounter" stuff is absolutely devastating. I don't understand why a throw can beat out a poke.

Tradiionally, throw beats block, block beats poke, poke beats throw. In this game you can throw pokes and backdashes super easily. I don't think it's the same with the command grab, so without Darrius or enhancing the grab you're better off in most scenarios using a traditional throw. This being the case, he doesn't have much advantage over any other character in the throw game. It's super weird.

Disasterpiese

it's not over when you lose, it'over when you quit
This is exactly how I feel. I've been playing all week and trying to figure out what's going on with Reiko and if you use the Darrius Kameo it feels like I'm playing a traditional grappler from another game. I'm holding him where he's at with the tier lists, but I've found throws to be very powerful in this game. I'm not good enough with the command grab to verify the same, but this "throw Kounter" stuff is absolutely devastating. I don't understand why a throw can beat out a poke.

Tradiionally, throw beats block, block beats poke, poke beats throw. In this game you can throw pokes and backdashes super easily. I don't think it's the same with the command grab, so without Darrius or enhancing the grab you're better off in most scenarios using a traditional throw. This being the case, he doesn't have much advantage over any other character in the throw game. It's super weird.
Yes true. I find it really weird that he doesn't have any tick throws like any grappler (shao, geras)

kantboy2

Pale Rider

Some might find it interesting.

I was in practice mode and I was trying to do a consistent B3 into shuriken and slide came out 75% of the time. I was pressing 2, not 3., after B3. Anyone else has had this problem?

Some might find it interesting.

I was in practice mode and I was trying to do a consistent B3 into shuriken and slide came out 75% of the time. I was pressing 2, not 3., after B3. Anyone else has had this problem?
do you by any chance have negative edge turned on?
if yes,turn it off and that should not happen anymore.

Agoat

Always Be Cmashing
Having a lot of fun holding block against Baraka/Cyrax then backhanding them.

Combos? No thanks.