What's new

Reexamining the Leaked Character Select Screen and Speculating Secret Unlockable Characters

So i was watching some videos on youtube and i got an MK11 ad that im pretty sure fetured some dialogue from Shinnok in itor at least from a character whos voice we haven't yet.

SinkFla

Noob
I kept saying I thought that Cetrion was going to be unlockable... but then they turned around released her trailer. Sooo uhhh.... my money is on Kollector being the unlock now.

(eagerly waits for trailer)

Pizza

Thrill Kill

Additional slots next to Liu Kang are the same as before. Two of them are selectable and two of them aren't.

Some people started yelling at us saying "those four slots are DLC!"; then I don't really understand this roster page. But let's assume it's a mistake on this page.
When you pick a character, the roster screen changes and shows this:

Same slots. And like in the other one, two of them are selectable and two aren't.

Sorry, but I really think there are unlockable characters. Or something fishy is going on, like Kombat Pack 1 has been reduced from 6 characters to 4.

Skedar70

Noob
I don't like the roster for this game. I think that for variety NRS could have picked characters from different groups. For example to me all of these characters belong to the same group (special forces) Sonya, Cassie, Johnny, Jacqui, Jax. I think we could have done better without a few from this group and more from other groups like at least one of the cyborgs or maybe a classic like someone who wasn't in mkx (Nightwolf, Sindel, Shang, Sheeva, Fujin).

Zev

Cages_Shades from MKO
That's a curious shout. What makes you think Ashrah is more likely than, say, Fujin, Havik, or Reiko?
She's female, Ed boon likes her, and sh'es from the netherrealm, which is a big part of the story atm.

If that's true Mileena fans are going to fucking riot! I'd say the same about Rain fans, but they hit acceptance already.
Rain has been hinted at way too many times by too many NRS employees to not be in the game. If it was just Boon mentioning him, it would be one thing.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
Rain has been hinted at way too many times by too many NRS employees to not be in the game. If it was just Boon mentioning him, it would be one thing.
Unfortunately I don't share your optimism. Also this:

Zev

Cages_Shades from MKO
Unfortunately I don't share your optimism. Also this:

I also have a tweet
" I do know that some characters we are planning on not showing at all before release on purpose. "

There's only 3 people we haven't seen gameplay of yet. Kitana, Frost, Dvora, also shao kahn but he's "dlc". Next week's kombat kast said they'll show 3 people, well that math adds up. Unless one of them is Shao Kahn, or we see Cetrion on there(even though GI showed her breakdown already) we'll have seen the whole rosters gameplay 2 weeks before release. He also said "some characters" which implies plural.

NRS wants us to be surprised on launch day, they won't tell us there's secret unlockables, otherwise they'd wouldn't be much of a secret.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
I also have a tweet
" I do know that some characters we are planning on not showing at all before release on purpose. "

There's only 3 people we haven't seen gameplay of yet. Kitana, Frost, Dvora, also shao kahn but he's "dlc". Next week's kombat kast said they'll show 3 people, well that math adds up. Unless one of them is Shao Kahn, or we see Cetrion on there(even though GI showed her breakdown already) we'll have seen the whole rosters gameplay 2 weeks before release. He also said "some characters" which implies plural.

NRS wants us to be surprised on launch day, they won't tell us there's secret unlockables, otherwise they'd wouldn't be much of a secret.
They also confirmed that the base roster is going to be 25 slots though. Also if we're going to get unlockables it's probably be Mileena and Shinnok, since that leak seems to have hit the mark completely so far.

Reactions: Zev

Zev

Cages_Shades from MKO
They also confirmed that the base roster is going to be 25 slots though. Also if we're going to get unlockables it's probably be Mileena and Shinnok, since that leak seems to have hit the mark completely so far.
lol so i totally missed you were just quoting me about the rain part not the unlockables, my bad. Ya he prolly won't be in but I still have hope XD. Mileena is the only one I think is a shoe in, shinnok im still doubtful about . . .cus the whole floaty head thing.

I still feel like everytime Boon has said itll be 25 he's said it in a more vague way than just straight saying there will only be 25. One time he said "like 25" another time he said "25 to start". Think another time he even asked someone else what the number was. Plus when he said 30 something to end, is clearly leaving it open, even though they already know their dlc slots months ahead of time.

Last edited:

Cassie Cyrus

Have you ever seen the Rain?
Not 30, somewhere in 30. I really don’t understand if they leave Mileena and Reptile out of this game, they should be dlc over all others. I think they should just keep adding characters until they reach 40 mk characters and 2 guests.

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain
Ed boon said 166 rapid questions there is 25 + dlc will probably 30.
I find it highly unlikely that they'll only do one Kombat Pack. We'll get two for sure. Probably 6 characters per combat pack. So 25+12 should give us 37 characters in the end.

I really, really, really hope that they'll continue the trend they started in MKX and Injustice 2, where one DLC character covered four characters. In MKX it was Triborg, who allowed you to play as Smoke / Sektor / Cyrax / Cyber Sub-Zero. And in Injustice 2 it was the Ninja Turtles, who allowed you to play as Leonardo, Donnatelo, Raphael and Michelangelo.
In a perfect world we would get Chameleon or something along those lines, who would allow us to play as Human Smoke / Rain / Ermac and Reptile. I'm sure NRS would be able to work out the mechanics, so that the four ninjas would still feel unique and not all have the exact same strings and stances.

Zev

Cages_Shades from MKO
I find it highly unlikely that they'll only do one Kombat Pack. We'll get two for sure. Probably 6 characters per combat pack. So 25+12 should give us 37 characters in the end.

I really, really, really hope that they'll continue the trend they started in MKX and Injustice 2, where one DLC character covered four characters. In MKX it was Triborg, who allowed you to play as Smoke / Sektor / Cyrax / Cyber Sub-Zero. And in Injustice 2 it was the Ninja Turtles, who allowed you to play as Leonardo, Donnatelo, Raphael and Michelangelo.
In a perfect world we would get Chameleon or something along those lines, who would allow us to play as Human Smoke / Rain / Ermac and Reptile. I'm sure NRS would be able to work out the mechanics, so that the four ninjas would still feel unique and not all have the exact same strings and stances.
Ya I think that's the hardest part for Chameleon compared to triborg or the turtles. Fundamentally the cyborgs and the turtles mechanically all act the same with slight differences to weapons/specials. Where as Reptile, Ermac, smoke and rain all behave completely different and play nothing alike, just mix and matching special moves wouldnt pay homage to those characters. Part of me wishes Chameleon is DLC but he's given his own unique moves and becomes not just a copy paste character.

Zev

Cages_Shades from MKO

Ok, so Ed Boon just tweeted this. If he just posted it normally giving props to bosslogic it would be fine and no biggy. But deliberately writing that he knows it'll be mean to retweet, just seems weird to me and would be a dick move if he truly wasn't in. Plus he's tweeted an absurd amount of tweets about Rain the past few weeks. We know he loves to tease and troll, but he's not this mean right? . . . . right!?

also @STORMS this thread is still messed up message order wise, though i know you're working on it.

Ok, so Ed Boon just tweeted this. If he just posted it normally giving props to bosslogic it would be fine and no biggy. But deliberately writing that he knows it'll be mean to retweet, just seems weird to me and would be a dick move if he truly wasn't in. Plus he's tweeted an absurd amount of tweets about Rain the past few weeks. We know he loves to tease and troll, but he's not this mean right? . . . . right!?

also @STORMS this thread is still messed up message order wise, though i know you're working on it.
Ed has no soul

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I'm still holding on to the idea that there will be secret unlockables, I don't see how Ed Boon saying there were only 25 deconfirms this, if they're a secret of course they won't say it. Maybe even characters like Kronika will be playable, who knows. I feel like they are keeping something tightly under wraps. I know FGs these days rarely do more than one unlockable, if any because the monetized that via DLC, but to me it's a really cool part of playing story modes and exploring the Krypt.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter

As a Rain fan, I can see the humour in this. No need to take it so personally.