What's new

SALTY Reasons we HATE Mortal Kombat XL

Carloz MK

Germany
i dropped mkx shortly after release for some reason. the amount of shit is too big to take the game seriously.
I say it as a mk player. its a shame, i would love to play it.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I was gonna say stop whining but then you said Frost should be in the game, now I straight up hate you. FROST?! Top 5 worst characters in the game, we dont need a female version of a male character that already has a cybernetic version
You hate me or you hate Frost, make up your mind lol.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Some variations getting no changes, useless/insignificant changes or nerfs they didn't need.
No fixes for things like whiffing or tracking issues for characters because they needed to buff D'Vorah and Quan and Cutthroat instead.
Ghost hitboxes on moves that make them harder to trip guard or whiff punish.
Having to learn to play as/against characters you don't want/like because fans from other franchises are worth more than MK fans. (Kappa)
Blatant power creep (CSZ having the only overhead divekicks, Acidic doing what Venomous does but better, Tarkatan getting rekkas while Tanyas get nerfed)
Changes not being thought through completely, ie changes that might nerf a characters best variation also make their other worse variations even worse than they already are.
On that note: nerfing a variation of a character that's already one of their worse ones for no good reason, while sometimes even buffing their best one or one of their better ones.
XL being XL basically confirms no more DLC and probably no more support other than tournament pot bonuses, which is a shame because I think this game still needs at least one other balance patch and I would like to see more MK characters although I know that idea is out the window now (and I don't think I'm the only one who thinks this)
The netcode introducing rollback on top of the lag making it harder to react to things and harder to keep track of your opponent's juggle arc in a bad connection.

But there is at least one good thing about it I'll admit:
European competitions getting recognition from NRS: Scotland getting a HUGE rep and exposure boost with Hypespotting not only hosting the MKXL Cup qualifier for the UK but also getting a £10,000/$14,000 pot bonus. Maybe this will make up for Glasgow getting shafted with the MKX Cup spot being 4 days after the release of the game :DOGE Viennality also getting an MKXL Cup qualifier spot too. You guys might finally come over here for once! Lol.

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
50/50's. No.

50/50's vortexes. No.

50/50 perssudo vortexes. No. No.

Being forced to do 50/50's to win.

Vortexes. No. No. NO!

Lack of true anti airs that can punish jumpins.

Jumpins that lead to more jumpins after they've already jumped in.

Massive amounts of looping pressures that eat your health away. No.

Female hitboxes. No.

The run mechanic. It's stupid.

No run button.

Using stance swith for specific combo's or the stupid disco dancing.

No option for either P1 or P2 to turn off interactibles in the match even if either P1 or P2 wants it on. The voting for it is unnecessary.

No option to change buttons in the character selection screen before matches

Not enough stages.

Not enough female characters.

No classic mk music.

The fact the characters will never be balanced. This I think is becoming a reality.

Damn near impossible unblockables.NO. NO. NO!!! Nuff said.

No point to play team battle 3v3 or challenge tower. Or test your luck.

Waiting for matches the says good ping only to discover it's not and you now have to fight 2 on 1. Your opponent and the lag.

Wasted guest characters. Classic characters I think k would be significantly better than a bunch of guest characters.

No extended story mode or mini konqust mode but more towers that offer???

I love mk. But I hate what we turn it into when we become involved by bitching on voicing our opinions.

The bitching. The hair pulling. The controller smashing deep sighing unplugging the stick smashing buttons fingers in your hair going for a smoke to calm down and swearing you will never play this game again on your soul but you sit down and rematch the same dude that somehow bodied you because

You love MK:D

Last edited:

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
For all its faults, I still love MKX. I know mechanically and balance-wise that Street Fighter V is the superior game, but it tends to bore the ever-living shit out of me. Capcom has barely changed the game over the years, while NRS/Midway (whether the change is welcomed or not) always changes the game completely. When you buy a new MK game, you're at least getting a full game and not this unfinished bullshit Capcom released for 60 bucks that completely ignored casual players. And they wonder why the sales aren't doing well. Capcom should stage another fake exhibition match. Possibly have Infiltration lose to Taylor Swift or something. Maybe that will boost sales!

Given the choice between MKXL and SFV, I'm taking MKXL all day. I don't think SFV is a bad game by any means, but it feels like the same old thing to me. I also am still struggling to find a character on SFV that feels fun to play. The roster Capcom launched with SFV is awful, in my opinion. I'm hoping Alex sparks my interest in SFV again.

My only real complaint about MKX aside from the ridiculous hard to blockables would be the lack of consistent anti-airs. Jumping attacks are way too strong. Jabbing someone out of the air with a standing 1 in MK9 was about the most satisfying shit in the game. I really do miss that.

Come to think of it, maybe the problem IS that NRS tries to completely build each new game from the ground up. Maybe the way to go is to stick with one build and then just slowly improve on it and continue to support it over the years. Everything mentioned in this thread (for the most part) can be fairly easily fixed.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Deep neutral jump attacks.

I blocked your fucking stupid attack and you're plus? The is especially bad when they can mix you up after. The air attacks in this game are lame enough as it is. Characters that NJP, whiff, NJP, whiff, NJP...durrrrr

I think it would be interesting if every character could hit their throw button, and if your opponent was in the air, it would do an anti air throw attack. e.g. Kotals air throw.

Northern Slasher

Heads or Tails X
Deep neutral jump attacks.

I blocked your fucking stupid attack and you're plus? The is especially bad when they can mix you up after. The air attacks in this game are lame enough as it is. Characters that NJP, whiff, NJP, whiff, NJP...durrrrr

I think it would be interesting if every character could hit their throw button, and if your opponent was in the air, it would do an anti air throw attack. e.g. Kotals air throw
This. Especially this. Why the fuck are you so plus after I block your NJP/JIP/JIK?!

Constructive conversations on how to improve the game or franchise are fair enough. But at the same time it needs to acknowledged how good this game is, and how much NRS has supported it time and again.
As a die hard Tekken fan I suffered through that franchise for four year after Tekken 4 came out. A game that destroyed the community and discredited the franchise for years. That was a game worth hating, not only because it was poorly made but also not once supported. MK XL may not be perfect, but there is a lot of harsh language in this thread that Not deserved.

dennycascade

UPR_ghastem
1. Unstoppable jump attacks
2. Female hurtboxes
3. Stupid quick advancing mids (cassie b1, kotal b1 and f1 etc)
4. Random blockstun
5. Insane backdashes like Kano's
6. Mids getting low profiled by pokes

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
1.) Hard to Blockables / Pseudo Unblockables

2.) Unreactable 50/50s

3.) Safe 50/50s

4.) Vortexes / Setplay

5.) Almost half screen advancing normals

6.) Full screen advancing strings

7.) Around +8 or more Combo Launchers on block

8.) The jumping

9.) The lack of consistent anti-airs among the entire cast with no resource

10.) Auto correcting Dive Kicks / air special attacks

11.) Being able to do an air special attack in recovery after whiffing a Jump Attack

12.) Jailing / Loopable pressure

13.) Normals or melee attacks that have ZERO hurtboxes and cannot be traded with or whiff punished optimally

14.) Safe Armor Launchers

15.) Fast Half Screen Armor Launchers

16.) Massive low profiling

17.) Command Grabs that tick off fast and far advancing mids

18.) Command Grabs that are hard to punish on whiff
Takeda basically.

KombatJames

For the lin kuei!
1.) Hard to Blockables / Pseudo Unblockables

8.) The jumping

11.) Being able to do an air special attack in recovery after whiffing a Jump Attack
8.) Its when you wake up and guy is jumping over you 8xs straight and there's nothing you can do about it because everytime you get hit you're jailed so you have to eat a block string after block string.

11.) And no need to explain this gripe, you scrub mileena's kno this all to well lol

DanutCriminalul

CyberTrektor
The overwhelming changes/patches.I've never seen a fighting game in my entire fucking life that constantly changed every other week/month.Tier shifting is a pain in the dick.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
So the the reason there is a rest button in training mode now is for people like myself who dont use a ps4 controller. I use a ps2 pad. which has no button in the center to reset training stage. same goes for old stick players.
I use ps2 pad also. Just press L3 and R3 at the same time to reset.