What's new

Really Sad everyone is Doomsaying MK11

JDM

Noob
I'm not gonna lie, im extremely surprised nrs took such a big risk by slowing the game down so much. The nrs community is notorious for the amount of casuals especially with mk. Im very excited though as I play a more turtle style of game. I think the game looks great

I get it, i'm not sure it's justified but I get it? NRS has a habit of making the MK's the rushdown games and the injustice the zoner games. For a variety of reasons this has generally made injustice a lot less interesting to spectate, and I feel worse balanced.

The draw of MK 9 and X, to me, is just how much crazy shit everyone can do and yet still be unique. Everyone viable has a playstyle that feels crazy unfair in one way or another but doesn't feel like you're watching the same match over and over.

The best example of this has always been sub zero. I love the way the ice clone feels and works, and even though I don't main him sub's ice clone is iconic in showing off what makes an NRS fighter different, in that sub is a really really unique corner pressure character.

So obviously, them dropping ice clone has me worried. It goes farther than that though in just how the matches looked. Everyone zones, then everyone gets in close and footsies, then everyone mixes up? MK has always given most of its cast most of the tools, but just because dvorah has some long range options doesn't make her a zoner. I feel uniqueness of each character has been stripped in some way.

The effects an the matches still feel....chunky (only way I can explain that is that SFV feels terrible because everything feels the same), and I can still feel that the characters have personality/variety to them, and it was interesting to watch and i'd like to play, but something certainly looks off so far. Hopefully that doesn't wind up being the case, but I can't say i'm surprised to hear that people are worried.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I'm sure everyone wanted more variations and just 25 characters on the main screen ;)

Maybe people want different characters than me, but everyone wanted more than 25 spots filled with Sonyas and Jaces and Cassie and the konbat kids. That's already 8 spots between parents and kids.
I dont remember them announcing Cassie and Jackie

sub_on_dubs

Online Scrub Lord
I love that the run button was taken out of the game. Not really a big fan of the variation system, but it's by no means a deal breaker. Really hoping Rain makes it in. I seriously doubt Max even likes the newer schooled games at this point and just makes videos because that's his source of income. Most of his videos are full of cringe with the fake excitement thumbnails etc.

trufenix

bye felicia
I dont remember them announcing Cassie and Jackie
Cassie's in a trailer, nobody's played her or seen her for real, but its a pretty sure thing. None of the other kombat kids have been announced, or hinted. Not KJ, not Takeda, not Jacqui.

Matteo is just /real/ mad its 2019 and video game bitches still don't know their place.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
Yep through out the whole day ive verified the people who are scared are nooby mkx players.

omooba

fear the moobs
So you want everyone to only talk about the good things and ignore the bad?
seems like they're not complaining about bad things, just things they don't like.
Personally didn't watch the stream, i'm just saying from what i've been reading in here

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Everyone? Huh? From actual competitive players who know what they’re talking about, I’ve seen nothing but praise. Game looks amazing. Only complaint I’ve seen that makes any sense is dashes being too weak with too much startup/recovery.

I think it's pretty naive for people to just write off MK11 as Injustice 3 on day 1. Especially since a lot of people did the exact same thing for MKX initially. I've seen this kind of thing play out way too many times now regarding fighting game meta in particular. People are going to ask for lots of buffs and nerfs within the first few days too.

Last edited:

Samsara

Resident Cynic
For the record, I mainly talking about ppl with large influence over casual audiences when I say 'major streamers.' I know the pros think differently than the average poster on reddit/youtube comments/image boards.

Probably should have held off making this post until I heard more from everyone, but all the shitposting had me a little hot under the collar.

SixPathsOfHate

Make triple skulls input BDF or DF Hold F
No. He literally said he sucks at neutral and thinks footsies is just walking back and chucking fireballs.

He has a big platform and his fanbase parrots him. He's even saying the game doesn't have 'big' combos, which is ridiculous considering its so early.

It's a damn shame. Hopefully the pro's get ahead of this nonsense.
The issue with combos are that NRS said specifically that they dont want combos taking the front seat for damage. Damage is reserved for krushing and fatal blows.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
The game is VERY VERY different then the previous MK.
Because of this, the community is going to be split, and the people who really dug MKX are going to be very loud about their displeasure of the direction MK11 took.

There is no getting around this.

I mean it is what it is. You can't please everyone, you just kinda have to ignore it.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
For the record, I mainly talking about ppl with large influence over casual audiences when I say 'major streamers.' I know the pros think differently than the average poster on reddit/youtube comments/image boards.

Probably should have held off making this post until I heard more from everyone, but all the shitposting had me a little hot under the collar.
I know how you feel. I watched Max's stream too and it was really disheartening, the degree to which he couldn't wrap his brain around the fact that NRS thought MK gameplay needs to go in a new direction.

The weirdest thing by far was how much Max kept harping on the fact that Sonya can't close gaps. OK, so one character can't close gaps in one variation that you had access to, what the fuck does that matter? You don't even play her. Let the people who play her worry about that.

If there are a bunch of characters who CAN get in close and get aggressive without having to duck and cover every 3 seconds, e.g. Scorpion, Raiden, Skarlet, which he freely admitted, then just play those god damn characters. Or wait for more characters like them to be revealed, which they obviously will.

It just felt like he was judging the roster as though it was complete. And judging it by its most limited characters at that, instead of judging it by the characters who have toolkits that appeal to his playstyle. He didn't even try Scorpion I think. Then they were watching M&K play Scorp vs Sub and it looked like gameplay straight out of MKX, and he just sat mutely staring at the stream instead of saying "wow maybe I should have been playing Scorpion???"

It made zero sense to me.

SixPathsOfHate

Make triple skulls input BDF or DF Hold F
As for day 1 of the gameplay I have seen here, I am not impressed. Hopefully it changes but im not hyping the way I was when I saw the trailer.
As for gameplay seen, London event was played way differently and I found it much more enjoyable than the American event. Ketchup/Mustard gave me hope for the game but there is still so much time left before the game is out that opinions will and are meant to be changed.
I know my opinions will change as the game grows and as we see more gameplay but imma still get it regardless cause no one is playing BBTAG on PC...

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Everyone? Huh? From actual competitive players who know what they’re talking about, I’ve seen nothing but praise. Game looks amazing. Only complaint I’ve seen that makes any sense is dashes being too weak with too much startup/recovery.
It's not really aimed anywhere, but I'm going to go somewhere.

Pro players, and the competitive scene have their roles and are important in a lot of ways, but there is a limit to what they can say that has any relevance to a game as it is experienced by the "other people." The scrubs, the casuals, the whatever negative, dismissive label that gets toss around the direction of the bulk of humanity that is actually buying a game.

MKX got a lot of negative flak over its competitive qualifications, and IJ2 tried real hard to give the people that didn't like MKX something more respectable to compete in. There are a lot of people that took a pass waiting for MK to take its turn as something more accessible/enjoyable to the player base as a whole. It may and totally could turn out great, but it's pretty evident that they are shooting for something very different from what was really working for a lot of fans.

The MK franchise has always had a unique, far reaching appeal that brought in large groups of people that normally don't even care about FG's. It's easy to be dismissive about casual play and who gets to have an opinion, but in all seriousness, how many people in a game even matter competitively? I'm betting a lot of people would struggle to name more than 30-40 people genuinely relevant to a game. There may be some really quality players outside of the top 100 in a game, but I doubt more than 25-30 have any real shot of making top-8 at a stacked event.

The competitive nature of a game is a short lived fireworks display for a game featuring tens of people. Literally millions of people will try to play this game. Most of which, regardless of the amount of effort they put in, will never be any good at it. These people have all kinds of reasons they aren't going to be good, but they still are going to want to have an enjoyable time. A lot of "real fighters" aren't particularly good at providing anything to a less than hardcore audience, but MK has historically done a pretty good job at serving that crowd better than other fighters. If they have been starving through IJ2, and find out MK11 requires too much of them to enjoy, then we will probably hear a little something about that. Can you have fun and fundamentals? Hopefully. If not, which is more important, not to a single high level player's personal taste, but to MK specifically?

I personally think it could play out to be a solid game everyone can enjoy, and hope it can serve both crowds well. I also think it has more viewership appeal than IJ2, even though it is a little slow - which everyone did notice.