What's new

Match-up Discussion Raven MU Chart

This is exactly what I figured. This Bane I've been fighting has been bodying me. (Played about 30ish matches, first 10 I had no clue how to handle him) But the whole time I felt like Raven can handle him, I just need to practice the MU more.
Wow, this guy sounds like he's the Bane of your existence.

The Scorpion MU is hellishly annoying, but no worse than 5-5 IMO.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Blind_Man AK Pig Of The Hut Zoidberg747

I really need to the bookmark the post where I explained this :D. Here we go again...

Scorpion can not escape Raven's knockdown/cross-up (jump-in) setups. At all. He has to block correctly or risk being put into a full combo (by risk I mean it will happen the majority of the time, possibly all of the time if people test this out further). This is because Raven can abuse Scorpion's change in hitbox for wake-up teleport as an option select for the follow-up move after jump-in 2. First, lets explain how to input the ghetto option select:

Intro

Raven ends her combo with f22u1/F2~DB2 or any of the other set-ups, walks forward a tiny step to make it properly ambiguous and then goes for a jump-in 2. Just past the height where jump-in 2 would hit a standing opponent, she inputs a normal (3 is the best for this as it's soooooo easy to hit-confirm off it and is safe on block) in the air to buffer it so it comes out the moment she lands. After this, she then holds down forward (in relation to the direction she jumped in) for a moment until the Raven player works out what the outcome was.

Outcome #1: Jump-in 2 misses as Scorpion does wake-up tele-punch/slide/flip kick.

If Scorpion does wake-up teleport punch, wake-up slide or wake-up flip kick, the jump-in 2 will either miss completely or connect with an invincible hitbox AFTER the follow-up normal (3 in this case) has been input. This causes the game to lose the input as it will only buffer it if the jump-in attack hit before 3 was pressed. Thus, when she lands on the ground, no follow-up move will happen.

This is where the "holding forward" part kicks in. Raven's holding forward becomes holding backwards as Scorpion will have switched sides. Thus, she will automatically block the teleport punch standing allowing for maximum punish. Flip kick will miss and you have all the time in the world to react and punish, and slide will do the same (you can punish it as he starts to stand up with a Soul Crush into full combo). I don't know if Raven is left close enough after a MB teleport punch to punish it with 1 or D1 into lift/combo. If she is, then this is a guaranteed punish.

All of these combos lead to another knockdown/cross-up setup whether she has meter or not (all meter will dictate is how much damage she does before putting Scorp into another setup).

Note: I seem to remember you being able to back-dash away if you spot a MB teleport punch rather than just holding block, but don't quote me on it.

Outcome #2: Jump-in 2 hits as Scorpion does wake-up Spear/Hell Fire/normal or blocks incorrectly.

In this scenario, Scorpion will have a standing hitbox. This means that the jump-in 2 hit and the 3 was buffered. Jump-in 2 beats spear and hell fire outright. When Raven lands, the 3 will automatically come out as it was buffered, and you can stop holding forward and cancel 3 into lift and full combo (3 hits twice and has a long active time so you have plenty of time to confirm and cancel into lift. Note that it doesn't matter whether you cancel the first or second hit of 3).

Like outcome #1, all of these combos lead to another knockdown/cross-up setup whether she has meter or not (all meter will dictate is how much damage she does before putting Scorp into another setup).

Outcome #3: Jump-in 2 hits armour as Scorpion does wake-up supermove

The start-up cinematic for the super should begin before jump 2 actually hits. This gives you what, a second and a half for the brain to say "I shouldn't input 3". Jump-in 2 will hit the armour, and she lands in time to block the actual hit of the super. She MAY be able to back-dash on landing to avoid the hit and punish it, but I didn't think to test that when I worked out the tech.

Outcome 4: Jump-in 2 is blocked

The only option (other than super and MB teleport, and those may be punishable if somebody tests it) that doesn't put Scorpion into a full combo and repeat setup. If Scorpion gets too excited and tries to punish the blocked attack there's a good chance he'll be hit by the buffered 3. If he keeps blocking, buffered 3 will come out and the end result will be Raven at +0.

In Conclusion

5-5. Raven needs 1 opening (demon grab, Soul Crush at a pretty close range, one successful jump-in, lift, 6 frame D1, etc) to do 40+% to Scorpion and make him guess right or have him take another 40+%, which he then needs to guess right or take etc etc etc :).

I'm not ignoring the grief Scorpion can give Raven in return as she really can't zone (then again, most chars can't against Scorpion). Fortunately she is good enough close-up in this MU to compensate and up close shuts down all of his escape tools.

Oh, this ghetto option select thing should apply to pretty much every character vs. Scorp who can put him into a knockdown/jump-in cross-up situation.

Extra Disclaimer

This was worked out mooooonths ago and patches may have changed it.
this entire vortex you guys have is backdash/forward dash able.

Agreed, just saying it is not a mixup when it comes to vortex.

Although since he must backdash/forward dash the moment you end your combo you probably can do a soul crush MB for a combo

No anyone can dash on reaction to the jump-in if they react fast enough. But I've been using a different vortex recently (inspired/motivated by blind ducky) that works much better because it can reverse wake-ups, I can choose which side I land on, and I can punish dashes on a read and they cannot react to it. An option select still exists for all of Scorpions wakeups, but if he reads that I'm going to do it then he can dash out of it. But like I said, if I read the dash I can punish it and he can't react to it like he can with the other vortex.

I'm still playing around with it but it seems very promising.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
No anyone can dash on reaction to the jump-in if they react fast enough. But I've been using a different vortex recently (inspired/motivated by blind ducky) that works much better because it can reverse wake-ups, I can choose which side I land on, and I can punish dashes on a read and they cannot react to it. An option select still exists for all of Scorpions wakeups, but if he reads that I'm going to do it then he can dash out of it. But like I said, if I read the dash I can punish it and he can't react to it like he can with the other vortex.

I'm still playing around with it but it seems very promising.
not to the jump in, you cant react to the jump in, you need to do it pre emptively if you think shes gonna jump otherwise you will 90% time it wrong and lose your hp.

not to the jump in, you cant react to the jump in, you need to do it pre emptively if you think shes gonna jump otherwise you will 90% time it wrong and lose your hp.

The jump-in right after f22u1 can be reacted to. I've played many matches with a harley player who could react to it with her command slide. If I didn't jump she wouldn't do the command slide.

Sami

Noob
I know, but can he not just dash on reaction and basically be at neutral?
Qwark I'm now very confused - are you saying Scorp can buffer the back-dash the moment her combo ends so it will be done immediately when he wakes up?

If so, that's annoying but still prevents him from doing wake-up attacks and Raven's momentum continues. As back-dashes aren't fully invincible she may be able to punish his on reaction upon landing depending on how far back he goes. 1 month until PC Injustice and I can play again to test all this out because ARGH.

Ok so I did some more testing. You can't actually dash out of the vortex ending in f22u1 (yay), it was just Harley's command dash that could get out of it. And it doesn't seem like you can buffer dashes when knocked down.

Sami

Noob
Ok so I did some more testing. You can't actually dash out of the vortex ending in f22u1 (yay), it was just Harley's command dash that could get out of it. And it doesn't seem like you can buffer dashes when knocked down.
Good good, was fearful this had changed. I'm guessing Harley can get out of it as it treats her command dash like a wake-up attack which can be buffered.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
You can buffer dashes when knocked down, try backdashing the vortex, I've been doing it for months.

You can buffer dashes when knocked down, try backdashing the vortex, I've been doing it for months.

Yeah I guess you can buffer the backdash, although it's not a large window, about the same as a wakeup. But if Raven jumps immediately after the f22u1 you cannot backdash. If she waits a bit before jumping then yeah you can backdash it.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Yeah I guess you can buffer the backdash, although it's not a large window, about the same as a wakeup. But if Raven jumps immediately after the f22u1 you cannot backdash. If she waits a bit before jumping then yeah you can backdash it.
Then that is not a mixup at all if you must jump at the same exact timing.

Then that is not a mixup at all if you must jump at the same exact timing.

You don't have to do the exact same timing actually. You have to wait a (relatively) decent amount of time for it to be backdashable. Either way, it seems ending in d1~lift after a b3, j2 is better because whether or not it crosses up depends on when you hit him with the d1, and its not obvious if you don't do the d1 really early or really late.

Also, ending in f22u1 and then jumping in actually seems to get blocked every time if the person just holds back, at least based on my testing.

Edit: Also ending in other normals besides d1~lift (i.e. 2~lift) changes the positioning. So you can always mix things up to keep them guessing.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
That's exactly what I said. You're saying the set up as a vortex is escapable when the purpose isn't a vortex.
I'm saying there are solutions other than blocking the vortex in general. Not in this setup, this setup is very good for this matchup, just saying that the ambiguous crossup is not that ambiguous.

Blind_Ducky

Princess of the Sisterhood
I'm saying there are solutions other than blocking the vortex in general. Not in this setup, this setup is very good for this matchup, just saying that the ambiguous crossup is not that ambiguous.

Then why did you quote what Sami said about the scorpion specific set up?