What's new

Match-up Discussion Raven Matchup Discussion

Sami

Noob
Aquaman: Even.

Black Adam: Somewhat free at range. Close up you don't need to worry about mix-ups as other than the divekick (yes I know this is a big threat) his only mix-up invloves ending a combo with lightning (easily spotted and crouchable) or getting a d3 on you. Other than that, everything hits mid/high/overhead so can be blocked standing. The issue is that he gets some good + frames on his blocked strings. If he ends with the wrong special (i.e. blocked lighting bolt or black magic) then it's full punish time. Raven very much needs to play keep away with this one. + frames and quick starters make it very difficult (and dangerous) to mash b3 MB to get out of the pressure as the 8f delay before the armour kicks in can be the opening he needs.

Might be able to poke out of some strings, not doing enough testing on this.

Green Lantern: I've been banging this drum for god-knows how long. Raven completely outzones him at range especially when in demon stance. He has better footsies, but you have a 6f d1 which can be linked into full combo. End it with b23~4 and make him get back in again.

Scorpion: Raven can put Scorps in wake-up hell using the option select I posted a couple of pages back. Combined with an improved D2 (doesn't help against cross-overs so needs to be used early) and this match-up is in Raven's favour. As with all Scorp matches you need to play to his pace, but he can't really do anything to hurt Raven. Demon mode not required, nor is fullscreen zoning (if anything that's the worst thing you can do). Keep him close-ish and grounded and he has a hell of a time (no pun) doing anything. No time to test the new MB teleport punch. Scorp being at -9 is great but I don't know if it leaves you close enough for 1/d1 for a guaranteed punish.

Superman: Raven outzones him with ease. Close pressure game requires perfect timing but can blow up his braindead loop. Good Superman players using all of his close options are a pain, but again it comes down to landing that d1 into full combo and ending with b23~4.

Personal lack-of-experience: vs Catwoman and Flash I'm generally scared to do anything. Both have replaced Bane and Grundy as my most hated match-ups, mainly due to lack of experience. I get the feeling I've only played crap Hawkgirls as I've found the match pretty free but everyone seems to have issues with it (not going to boast and claim I'm the best, really do think I've just played scrubs).

Hawkgirl is probably 5:5. I posted why in the Hawkgirl forums, so you can peruse there if you wish because I don't feel like typing that stuff again lol.

As for Catwoman... yeah, it's an uphill struggle, but a manageable one. In general, if you're outside of her b1 range (which, fortunately, has very short range indeed), default to stand blocking rather than crouch blocking - Catwoman has some deadly overheads, but b1 is the only low that will cause significant damage. If she gains a hard knockdown and is close by... well then, you just have to guess, sadly. Pushblock is an absolutely lifesaver here - if you guess right and block her mix-ups, it's almost always best to go for pushblock to regain some space (since, as said, her only deadly low, b1, has very short range). df3 can be blocked in reaction once you recognise its animation, after which point you can always punish with Soul Crush.

Cat Dash MB is what really makes her annoying - it will plow straight through projectiles and pillars and hit you - always be wary when she has meter available. Regular Cat Dash can be punished by f2 into whatever combo you want, whereas Cat Dash MB must be punished by d1 into a combo. Getting hit by Cat Dash MB frequently (except from within combos) is a sign that you're being too predictable with your mid/long-range game - it's a high-risk, high-reward move, and if you block it you need to absolutely make sure you get the most out of it. Cat Claws, frustratingly, is fully safe - despite it being -7, the pushback is simply too great for 1 or d1 to hit.

Shadow Raven really isn't worth it here - High Feline Evade allows her to gain free scratches from avoiding it, and you don't want her combo damage to be increased any further. Demon Stance actually doesn't change things all that much here either - you still have to worry about Cat Dash MB blowing you up. Teleport cross-ups are good to have in this match though - you can try and give her a taste of her own medicine. :p In fact, jump-ins can work surprisingly well here. Up Whip is like a poor man's Singularity in terms of anti-airing - it has similar range and hits at similar angles, and she has to commit to it in much the same way, but her reward for landing it is 10% damage, compared to Singularity which does >35% with meter. d2 can combo, but is less reliable due to range issues.

On the whole, you definitely don't want to be up-close, but then you also don't want to be too far either. Between just inside Singularity range and Soul Crush range is ideal - the only other tools which can potentially become annoying there are Straight Whip (which you can bait to allow you a JI2 into a combo) and df3 (learn to block and punish on reaction). Jump-ins are a good way to earn that life lead, and provided you don't get too close, Catwoman will have a hard time winning it back.

Of course, conversely, you'll have an even harder time winning back the life lead if she gets ahead - be very wary.

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
Hawkgirl MU is 6:4 in Raven's favor.

Her trait can be hit easily with df1 for days...all of HGs specials can be hella punished on block or whiff...not to mention her bf2 can be caught in midair on reaction

AugustAPC

Not For Sale
Hawkgirl MU is 6:4 in Raven's favor.

Her trait can be hit easily with df1 for days...all of HGs specials can be hella punished on block or whiff...not to mention her bf2 can be caught in midair on reaction
Yea, no. Any good Hawkgirl is going to be in your face faster than you can say "Azarath!".

This is definitely in Hawkgirl's favor. She can get in on Raven with ease and her rushdown, when properly played, leaves Raven guessing and making desperate moves.

Sami

Noob
Raven players think it's 6:4 in their favour. Hawkgirl players think it's 6-4 in their favour. Meet in the middle at 5-5? :)

FinalBoss_FGC

Yea, no. Any good Hawkgirl is going to be in your face faster than you can say "Azarath!".

This is definitely in Hawkgirl's favor. She can get in on Raven with ease and her rushdown, when properly played, leaves Raven guessing and making desperate moves.
Blind Man vs Runway Mafia...yt it...type in blindman2 and it'll prove me right. Hawkgirl isn't that good of a character but is not a bad one

Sami

Noob
Blind Man vs Runway Mafia...yt it...type in blindman2 and it'll prove me right. Hawkgirl isn't that good of a character but is not a bad one

Match vs Hawkgirl was as I expected - Hawkgirl can get in quick, but Raven has many tools to get her back out. Was pleasantly surprised with the KF matches as she normally gives me a lot of grief. Was also encouraging to see that I play similarly to the Raven who is feared by all. Evo is going to be hype :D

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
The raven vs. Aquaman MU is probably even for her IMO. She is my go to character for that MU at this point. You just have to play really patiently and avoid the corner at all costs.

FinalBoss_FGC

Match vs Hawkgirl was as I expected - Hawkgirl can get in quick, but Raven has many tools to get her back out. Was pleasantly surprised with the KF matches as she normally gives me a lot of grief. Was also encouraging to see that I play similarly to the Raven who is feared by all. Evo is going to be hype :D

Blind_Man probably will have the best Raven there, I'm rootin for him and all other Ravens...and all Batmans.

FinalBoss_FGC

The raven vs. Aquaman MU is probably even for her IMO. She is my go to character for that MU at this point. You just have to play really patiently and avoid the corner at all costs.

I actually go right to Raven when I see an Aquaman pick...he'll have to rely on From The Deep and Trident throw to do anything...and from medium range, if one is blocked...you have the rest of the day to punish it. I really like the MU. HAS to be 6-4 Raven

Sami

Noob
Blind_Man probably will have the best Raven there, I'm rootin for him and all other Ravens...and all Batmans.
Same, minus the batmans :). Trying to find more BM (edit: as in Blind Man, not Batman!) videos actually but not having much luck :/

I actually go right to Raven when I see an Aquaman pick...he'll have to rely on From The Deep and Trident throw to do anything...and from medium range, if one is blocked...you have the rest of the day to punish it. I really like the MU. HAS to be 6-4 Raven
5-5 as once he's in (not difficult) you're in mix-up hell and he can trait out of some punishes.

Zoidberg747

Nah. If the Aquaman player can get in he can make up damage VERY quickly(One bar 43% and lands you right back at his feet). Plus if he manages to corner you the MU shifts to 8-2 his favor. It is a classic 5-5 because whichever character can play their game better is going to win.

FinalBoss_FGC

Nah. If the Aquaman player can get in he can make up damage VERY quickly(One bar 43% and lands you right back at his feet). Plus if he manages to corner you the MU shifts to 8-2 his favor. It is a classic 5-5 because whichever character can play their game better is going to win.

Well, technically, MU discussion is basically saying both characters at their very best. Raven can play keep-away really, really well...I understand Aquaman can do stupid high damage but Raven can completely nullify Aquaman's Trait (223 is pop-up...MB Singularity and MB Soul Crush are pop-ups), which should, generally, put the MU slightly in Raven's favor. Aquaman is a badass counter-zoner..but the cooldown on his counterzone tools take too long

Zoidberg747

Well, technically, MU discussion is basically saying both characters at their very best. Raven can play keep-away really, really well...I understand Aquaman can do stupid high damage but Raven can completely nullify Aquaman's Trait (223 is pop-up...MB Singularity and MB Soul Crush are pop-ups), which should, generally, put the MU slightly in Raven's favor. Aquaman is a badass counter-zoner..but the cooldown on his counterzone tools take too long
I don't really want to argue numbers as that never leads to anything, but here is kind of a rundown of how the match usually plays out for me:

The Aquaman player successfully gets in, corners me and basically blows my back out

I stay at fullscreen and chip away with well timed soul crush with a flurry of ravens. I get a well timed j2 f22 combo in to put him back at fullscreen. I also like to use trait if I think I am about to get cornered and wait for a tele opportunity.

Like I said before, whichever player plays to their strengths better will win.

Blind_Ducky

Princess of the Sisterhood
Yeah Raven beats the other wannabe bird lady. McPeak aquaman Raven isn't 6-4 Raven. It's either 5-5 or 6-4 aquaman. 1 blocked soul crush = 2 free dashes & aquamans up close game is better than Raven's. I hate typing long explanations. I played this mu a lot with michaelangelo. Also if anyone's ever looking for me at tournaments my tag is Blind_Ducky. I'd love to change it in here but that would cost me $10.

Actually I might type up something slightly more detailed later once my power comes back on. Or we can all get on Skype and I can just say everything I want to say because talking ALOT > typing ALOT.

FinalBoss_FGC

Yeah Raven beats the other wannabe bird lady. McPeak aquaman Raven isn't 6-4 Raven. It's either 5-5 or 6-4 aquaman. 1 blocked soul crush = 2 free dashes & aquamans up close game is better than Raven's. I hate typing long explanations. I played this mu a lot with michaelangelo. Also if anyone's ever looking for me at tournaments my tag is Blind_Ducky. I'd love to change it in here but that would cost me $10.

Actually I might type up something slightly more detailed later once my power comes back on. Or we can all get on Skype and I can just say everything I want to say because talking ALOT > typing ALOT.
I'm just going by personal experience lol you're prolly right tho

ZalliX

Noob
:). If you have a good read on an Aquaman hes very easy for Raven to punish actually, however thats the difficult thing about the match up. It seems Raven is pretty free to a patient Aquaman.

Blind_Ducky

Princess of the Sisterhood
Probably right lol I main Batman who is a bad MU against Aquaman...I pick up Raven, who is a bad MU apparently lmao...fucking Aquaman. Still love Batman and Raven tho :)
It's still winnable for Raven. I think Raven can manage against every character in this game. Yeah I love my birdy <3 I need a Raven hoodie & her regime costume gloves.