What's new

General/Other - Raiden Raiden F1 now hits High instead of Mid

skrone

cold blooded
Lets all just get really good with Master of Storms. Instead of putting Raiden down, maybe just give Thunder God a rest for a little while

I think ending combos into the standing reset mid screen is a must now. No more ending with superman unless it's definitely putting them in the corner. He needs that advantage now

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
Glad the already established great TG Raiden is doing just fine. Dizzy could you go to a tourney and lose with MoS and Displacer so we can get those variations buffs? Kinda joking, it'd be cool though
I think mos definitely should and will get buffed. You non-tg raiden mains need to start downplaying more. We had a few space controllers buffed but we're still outnumbered by the rushdown fool characters.

BigMilk

Former Divine Power Abuser
Makes no sense for a 6f safe move to hit mid. This doesn't make him useless. Maybe it'll just force you Raiden mains to actually learn your character....
The problem isn't people that play Raiden lol it's the people that don't understand the character doing the complaining. And this is coming from someone who thinks Raiden will remain the best character after the changes. You can't really just look at every tool and be like,"it shouldn't be this way" but should see how it works along with the rest of their tools. The issue with f1 wasn't the speed or safety, but its effectiveness as a frametrap pretty much made people helpless even though he was at disadvantage. Believe it or not, it was the only mid he could use to poke safely. His only other mids being 8 frame b1(whiffs anything outside of point blank range), 7 frame d1 & d3(both punishable on block), and f2(15 frame startup). So not only can he be easily poked from most his pressure but he can no longer effectively frame trap. All of this is okay but it really hurt the other variations that didn't need it. There are other ways to nerf f1 and solve the same issues without affecting the other variations. This isn't me being upset about changes either, just trying to expand on your post.

I think mos definitely should and will get buffed. You non-tg raiden mains need to start downplaying more. We had a few space controllers buffed but we're still outnumbered by the rushdown fool characters.
When the game was released a lot of raidens were saying Displacer and mos weren't ass. Mayber NRS saw and thought he was fine

Shark Tank

When the game was released a lot of raidens were saying Displacer and mos weren't ass. Mayber NRS saw and thought he was fine
Better late than never bro, you got a few more patch cycles. At least you don't have "I don't downplay" 16bit winning locals with your character. :DOGE

DreadKnight1

Beaten, by this mere man
Well now that raiden just lost his fast hitting mid let's all say a thankful farewell for GGA Dizzy's service to the raiden community. It was nice while it lasted

mrtom

Noob
I'm on PC and we just got the patch and the move lists f1 as a mid along with the attack data. It also lists f12 as -3 on block. Is this how it's listed on the consoles?

I just played the updated Raiden and I think there is a lot of downplaying going on here. You have to remember that in order to avoid a high you have to duck WITHOUT blocking which is ridiculously hard to do for such a quick 2 hitting string like f12. Making it a high just means that hitting f12 f12 f12 can now be more easily interrupted by 8 frame d1 checks that otherwise had a tiny 1 frame gap. I think that's fine. Raiden main here so trust me if it was that bad I would be the first to rage.

I just played the updated Raiden and I think there is a lot of downplaying going on here. You have to remember that in order to avoid a high you have to duck WITHOUT blocking which is ridiculously hard to do for such a quick 2 hitting string like f12. Making it a high just means that hitting f12 f12 f12 can now be more easily interrupted by 8 frame d1 checks that otherwise had a tiny 1 frame gap. I think that's fine. Raiden main here so trust me if it was that bad I would be the first to rage.
If making F1 hit high instead of mid turns Raiden from the best to not tourney viable then this game sucks.

"People are idiots", House MD

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
It's not that Raiden sucks now. It's that this couldve been a Thunder God only thing instead of hindering the other 2 variations that honestly dont have much going for them already. At least that is my big issue with this change. A close 6f mid doesnt mean much if it doesnt lead to anything damaging which is exactly what happens with MoS and Displacer.

SirRaven

Teleport tickle fail
I'll trade this change for them giving displacer raiden no-meter teleport combo linking.

I think it is a fair and simple implementation if they make any mid-string teleport use up run gauge just like controlled teleports do. That way, raiden won't be combo linking all day with teleports and it also makes it useful w/o meter.

delbuster

hungry
The character is still completely fine lol.
yea that's what i said. im just taking some time off of exploring more raiden tech to explore other chars. lots of new stuff in the patch.

I'm on PC and we just got the patch and the move lists f1 as a mid along with the attack data. It also lists f12 as -3 on block. Is this how it's listed on the consoles?
this is correct pre-tanya patch. w/ tanya it should be a high.

SEV

Noob
It will definitely affect his other variations more than TG. The way I'm looking at it, all it really does is force Raiden to make one more read than he would have prior in situations where you'd throw out F1: are they going to poke to interrupt F1 in which case I need to poke with D1 that will yield a 50/50 on hit, or are they going to respect the D1 in which case I just go straight into my 50/50. It really only killed B12 looping as a viable option in my opinion. They didn't touch his option select or any of his specials.

Still an amazing character, definitely still in top 5 contention in my opinion, just not guaranteed top 2 anymore.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I personally don't particularly care about pressure being removed, he didn't need it at all. The main issue now is his neutral game. The range on b1 is way too short to be useful as a footsies tool. F2 is too slow for the range it provides. Most likely will rely heavily on d3 now as an offensive footsies tool as well.

I have some ideas but theorizing the neutral can be pretty sketchy. I want to try them out in real matches before possibly leading other raiden mains astray.
His neutral game is exactly why I disliked the idea of any changes to f1.

rainuS

Prince of Edenia
What's going on with removing OS? Each character has such options but people only complain about Raiden. It was the same in MK9 and Injustice
Besides from when -6 is safe? Learn to use these options and deal with it.

What's going on with removing OS? Each character has such options but people only complain about Raiden. It was the same in MK9 and Injustice
Besides from when -6 is safe? Learn to use these options and deal with it.
People just use Raiden as an example for wanting OSs removed in general since he is the most obvious example from recent tourney success.

Shark Tank

Some people have a problem with OS in principle but Raiden did get a big bonus from it, some don't. But regardless at this point OS being able to removed is questionable and it might not be

Jb879212

40 Percent Punish
Of course the nerf isn't so bad for TG. He still has safe low, LRC frame traps, easy conversions into high damage, and great meter building. When it's all said and done, if you end up blocking against TG you're still going to be in deep shit. TG still has at least some footsies. Just neutral duck against the other variations and you literally beat 90% of his offensive options including grab and specials. Let me know if I'm wrong though.