What's new

Quan Chi Post-Release General Discussion

BanTheTesters

“My AGENT is tougher than you...”
Greetings Quan nation! Tell me your secret tips!

I’m having a freaking BLAST playing quan

question: is it possible to play him strictly keep away or is that not advisable etc?

CanoCano

Noob

question: is it possible to play him strictly keep away or is that not advisable etc?
Matchup dependant, generally he wants to stay in mid range until he gets his portals and cage out then you'll stick to zoning with them and your disjoints (S4, S3, F2, etc) until you're unable to set them up again, at that point you'll be back at square one
The issue is a bunch of the top tier characters can flat out ignore your ranged options (especially Johnny) and for most of the cast it's not too hard to manouver around Armour Portal and Bone Cage as long as Quan doesn't have full meter or is right in their face
As far as defense goes you're goofed if the opponent gets in but if you somehow land a D1 on hit or block your best bet is to cancel it into Zone Of Fear (EX Zone Of Power) since that will push opponents away far enough to land either a weak punish or no punish, even Johnny

Last edited:

CanoCano

Noob
When he's in mid range without Bone Cage and Portals he will want to play the whiff punish game with the disjoints i mentioned or mix the opponent with S213/S214 On Block
When he does have BC and Portals in midrange he will want to go all in with staggers (or the closest thing he has to them) as most hits will lead to loopable Oki with the right Kameo

Last edited:

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!

I keep telling but no one listens, Quan Kano is the best zoner in the game. His zoning is super fucking oppressive, I've took games off some damn good Cages, Barakas etc using exclusively keepaway. If you haven't got a teleport, you aren't getting in. Feel free to pick my brains if there's anything you're struggling with.

Kano allows Quan an "engine", for lack of a better term. Kano knives allows you to get purple portal out for free, which allows you to use purple skulls to build meter, meter allows you to stall for longer with Push Portal, Ex Slow Skull and ExBoneCage, rebuilding Kano. Rinse and repeat.

What I've been having a lot of success with recently is using armor portal instead of push portal when people start getting close. Just throw out an ExArmorPortal when the opponent gets anywhere near. This either results in them still pushing forward, resulting in some pretty comical scenarios where you either steamroll through them with the armor, or get hit and chase yourself with the portal until you fall out of their combo. Or, this results in them being too scared to close the distance and they sit in the midrange/full screen until armor runs out. Again, allowing you to continue to zone, build meter, and throw out another armor portal as soon as the current one ends.

The 850 health doesn't feel great sometimes. But I promise, it's worth it.

Last edited:

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
Matchup dependant, generally he wants to stay in mid range until he gets his portals and cage out then you'll stick to zoning with them and your disjoints (S4, S3, F2, etc) until you're unable to set them up again, at that point you'll be back at square one
The issue is a bunch of the top tier characters can flat out ignore your ranged options (especially Johnny) and for most of the cast it's not too hard to manouver around Armour Portal and Bone Cage as long as Quan doesn't have full meter or is right in their face
As far as defense goes you're goofed if the opponent gets in but if you somehow land a D1 on hit or block your best bet is to cancel it into Zone Of Fear (EX Zone Of Power) since that will push opponents away far enough to land either a weak punish or no punish, even Johnny
Cage is a pain for sure, but Quan is perfectly capable of zoning him. How is it you feel Cage ignores all of Quans options? Bone Cage shuts down shadow kick and forces Cage to sit there eating zoning and push portal helps keep him out too once he's in midrange.

CanoCano

Noob
Cage is a pain for sure, but Quan is perfectly capable of zoning him. How is it you feel Cage ignores all of Quans options? Bone Cage shuts down shadow kick and forces Cage to sit there eating zoning and push portal helps keep him out too once he's in midrange.
I admit i was being a bit hyperbolic but still it feels like Quan can only reliably zone Johnny out when he has ZOP and BC out
If Quan only has ZOP out then Johnny can wavedash away from S4 then do EX DF3 on reaction to Skull Volley and get in kinda effortlessly, and if Quan only has BC out then it's Kameo dependant how Johnny can get out but if he's not in it then getting in should be as simple as EX Shadow Kick into an Ambush to cover for him
It's only when both ZOP and BC are out that there's any real risk attatched to these options which allows Quan to actually keep Johnny on his toes
Still maybe i just haven't been playing Quan well who knows, i'll try out Quan-Kano and yolo EX ZOWs like you mentioned and see if i finf any success with that