What's new

Quan Chi Post-Release General Discussion

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
I'm not a Quan player but have wanted to be as he's probably my favourite MK character but haven't been able to gel with his gameplay. However I've been thinking about he would work with Ferra.

If you get a hit of armour from the spell, can you basically get a free Ferra stance? And then you can cancel that into pain and gain for more armour, maybe even double pain and gain for more armour, and if the EX portal is up you'll probably even get armour stacked on during that animation, then go for an armoured launching 50/50 with the low or overhead stance moves for big damage? Also potentially full screen launching low with armour from the spell. Meter gain while you're zoning with purple spell, if they start approaching call Ferra away. The extra health is obviously a big help...

As I say I don't use Quan so don't know all the setups or how/if this would work, but I think I know what I'm going to trying to learn later. Have any of you Quan players been using her yet? What do you think of the synergy.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
This week's patch seems like one of the very few success stories for this game. However, certain characters like Havik, Quan Chi, Peacemaker, and Shang Tsung have received the short end of the stick.

Albeit Quan Chi keeps getting buffed while a character like Cage keeps getting nerfed, Cage remains the superior character.

NRS is so scared of zoning that they released Quan Chi on day one as they did. He was likely the most underpowered NRS character on day one since MKX Shinnok.

Quan Chi aside, the situation with kameos is even more egregious. How many buffs has Sonya received in total? Three or four? What about Motaro? Five or six? And Shujinko? Like 15? Maybe even 20?

Yet Khameleon and Kung Lao, who, like Cage, keep getting nerfed, may still be the best kameos in the game.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
This week's patch seems like one of the very few success stories for this game. However, certain characters like Havik, Quan Chi, Peacemaker, and Shang Tsung have received the short end of the stick.

Albeit Quan Chi keeps getting buffed while a character like Cage keeps getting nerfed, Cage remains the superior character.

NRS is so scared of zoning that they released Quan Chi on day one as they did. He was likely the most underpowered NRS character on day one since MKX Shinnok.

Quan Chi aside, the situation with kameos is even more egregious. How many buffs has Sonya received in total? Three or four? What about Motaro? Five or six? And Shujinko? Like 15? Maybe even 20?

Yet Khameleon and Kung Lao, who, like Cage, keep getting nerfed, may still be the best kameos in the game.
Khameleon and Lao are still very useful but are quickly getting sidegraded by other Kameos depending on the character. They are still very useful when paired with Mileena, for example, but now she is also just as good with Mavado, Janet, and probably Ferra. Sonya as well. Reptile's best kameos (imo) are now Sonya and Mavado as well. Nitara's most useful kameo used to be Khameleon, but now Ferra is absolutely BY FAR her best one - and not because of any significant nerf to Khameleon.

In short: the once top-pick kameos are slowly getting sidegraded (not completely outclassed) by the other kameos receiving buffs.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator

Ed tweeted that this won’t be all the buffs, and specifically mentioned Shang and Havik, so they’ll probably get some love in the next patch as well.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Khameleon and Lao are still very useful but are quickly getting sidegraded by other Kameos depending on the character. They are still very useful when paired with Mileena, for example, but now she is also just as good with Mavado, Janet, and probably Ferra. Sonya as well. Reptile's best kameos (imo) are now Sonya and Mavado as well. Nitara's most useful kameo used to be Khameleon, but now Ferra is absolutely BY FAR her best one - and not because of any significant nerf to Khameleon.

In short: the once top-pick kameos are slowly getting sidegraded (not completely outclassed) by the other kameos receiving buffs.
People make lots of claims in this community (i.e., Cage is no longer top 5, Quan Chi is top 10, Sub Zero is underrated, etc.) When I see the evidence at the highest level, I will believe.

This patch, while very good as I keep stating, should have been released six months ago. In spite of the buffs, the fact that certain characters and kameos are still considered low and mid tier says a lot about the game's power level.

Some characters and kameos remain weak, incomplete, and superficial.

When Franco, who uses command grab characters, pities zoning characters like Quan Chi and Peacemaker, you know that there is a problem. LOL.

rifraf

Dojo Trainee
I agree. SZ has a 5 sec cooldown on his clone that lasts for 1 sec, and Smoke has a 37 frame teleport. Let that sink in for a moment and think what it means for these characters.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
People make lots of claims in this community (i.e., Cage is no longer top 5, Quan Chi is top 10, Sub Zero is underrated, etc.) When I see the evidence at the highest level, I will believe.

This patch, while very good as I keep stating, should have been released six months ago. In spite of the buffs, the fact that certain characters and kameos are still considered low and mid tier says a lot about the game's power level.

When Franco, who uses command grab characters, pities zoning characters like Quan Chi and Peacemaker, you know that there is a problem. LOL.
As I said, some kameos ARE getting more/just as useful for certain pairings as the top picks, specially after the Khameleon nerf now. It's no wonder you didnt see Sonya used on evo top 8 - the characters that pair well with her were just not picked, this doesnt mean she is incomplete or weak, just that Johnny paired better with Khameleon. Mileena has like 4 or 5 useful kameos, but we got a single one at top 8 evo, who chose the tried and true swiss army knife of Khameleon - do you seriously think Mileena is weak and incomplete in this game?

Last edited:

M2Dave

Zoning Master
...just that Johnny paired better with Khameleon...
Johnny has paired well with almost every former and current top tier kameo (i.e., Cyrax, Kung Lao, Stryker, Khameleon, etc.) because he is a complete character who does not require kameos to function.

Mileena has like 4 or 5 useful kameos...
...which is uncommon in this game.

...but we got a single one at top 8 evo, who chose the tried and true swiss army knife of Khameleon.
Just like at least half of the top 8 for obvious reasons.

do you seriously think Mileena is weak and incomplete in this game?
Mileena is one of the better and more versatile characters.

Characters who still need significant buffs are Havik, Quan Chi, Peacemaker, Raiden, Reptile, Shang Tsung, and Sub Zero. We have to wait and see if the buffs to Baraka, Li Mei, and Nitara will make a difference.

I am not even going to comment on the kameos. The system is irreparable and irredeemable. NRS must already know, which is why they have been shuffling the tiers every three months.

This may be off-topic, but what are Quan's good neutral buttons? Does he have a good disjoint to spam? I love his combo game and the 2 step zoning, but I have questions about his neutral game. I suspect he makes use of one spammable disjoint... What do you think his main neutral buttons are?

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
Johnny has paired well with almost every former and current top tier kameo (i.e., Cyrax, Kung Lao, Stryker, Khameleon, etc.) because he is a complete character who does not require kameos to function.

...which is uncommon in this game.

Just like at least half of the top 8 for obvious reasons.

Mileena is one of the better and more versatile characters.

Characters who still need significant buffs are Havik, Quan Chi, Peacemaker, Raiden, Reptile, Shang Tsung, and Sub Zero. We have to wait and see if the buffs to Baraka, Li Mei, and Nitara will make a difference.

I am not even going to comment on the kameos. The system is irreparable and irredeemable. NRS must already know, which is why they have been shuffling the tiers every three months.
I mostly agree with this post. Just gonna add that the pairings are seemingly starting to be better and more diverse - Havik, a shit character, can do okay with sub-zero, mavado, cyrax now ferra and probably Sonya as well, perhaps even Goro. At the same time, khameleon stocks are declining, while she is still functionally the same.

I also dont agree that the kameos are inherently flawed, but I understand why spme people might not enjoy the system.

UghGetOuttaHere

Number Cruncher. Jack of All Trades.
Ok, some buff ideas:
-I don't think Quan needs too many normal touch ups, but his d2 is awful. Fix that.
-Holding stance switch and 3 will increase the movement speed of an active portal. Quans meter will drain while doing so.
-F2 just a smidge more range?
-They did fix Quans D2 btw. It now reaches out further horizontally and has a clear line indicating where it reaches.
-I wanted to add to buff wishlist:
-Having more than one portal increases portal movment speed and potency.
-b2 dash cancelable

If we are getting crazy:
-make df4 work like s4.
-make the armor for a red portal stay active even if it disappears
-add a low fake out to teledrop with low damage and high recovery.

When you're juggling your opponent after a st 3 xx jump, does jump 1 or jump 2 work better for the follow up on the combo? I've seen people use either but jump 1 may pop them up higher?