What's new

Quan Chi Post-Release General Discussion

Are there any Bone Cage setups with Scorpion?

I've been playing Quan/Sub, and the compliments to his zoning with Ice armor and the ability to do bone cage or portal setups on hit has been hard to pass up, but I'm interested in Scorpion Kameo.
Yes there absolutely is, there's combos off crazy strings like 213 and you can do trap setups where you can throw into trap Unblockable but they can delay wakeup Block. Also +35 Restand Trap Setups as well. I think I have some on my channel.
40% combos midscreen 1Bar and 2BAR 50%

The extra health and launchers shujinko gives him are quite fun. Need a better zoning kameo for Johnny however
Hey Dink, yeah he definitely struggles vs Johnny up close. That's my biggest issue with Quan is having slow AF pokes I mean why? 9f D1 with -10, like Tweedy said Mileena's D1 is same range but 7f startup.
Your dealing with +10 pressure vs Raiden and Johnny with Kameos and that deletes his options to turn steal.
Have you tried Motaro with Quan? He has decent projectiles and +13 and Teleport, high damage, it seems like it might be your answer instead of Lao Kameo

Hey Dink, yeah he definitely struggles vs Johnny up close. That's my biggest issue with Quan is having slow AF pokes I mean why? 9f D1 with -10, like Tweedy said Mileena's D1 is same range but 7f startup.
Your dealing with +10 pressure vs Raiden and Johnny with Kameos and that deletes his options to turn steal.
Oh man I cannot stand the Johnny MU lol, I've been searching for options to counter him with Quan as well... I suppose sector does an OK job at shutting him down full screen, haven't looked into motaro yet though, scorpion can also be handy with back kameo provided the right timing

Oh man I cannot stand the Johnny MU lol, I've been searching for options to counter him with Quan as well... I suppose sector does an OK job at shutting him down full screen, haven't looked into motaro yet though, scorpion can also be handy with back kameo provided the right timing
My issue with Scorpion Kameo is he's great for setups and damage and his Get The F outta here Spear which is great but Johnny can literally punish everything Quan does easy on reaction near fullscreen and up close Quan is in serious trouble.
Here I'll show you:
He has to keep him out or he's at a disadvantage cuz Quan ain't getting pokes out. Johnny is always one button from being in your face and have OKI pressure.

Wigy

There it is...
Feeling like quan might have some of the worst MU numbers in the game. Is johnny like 8-2? He gets in with his JK and shadow kick then its all over basically.

his zoning is strong but so many characters can just ignore zoning and then he has the worst frame data in the game.

Wigy

There it is...
Also wtf are we using to meaty people i have just given up and furiously backdash on our oki. All of the second hits of his strings are so slow so delay wakeup kills.

Also wtf are we using to meaty people i have just given up and furiously backdash on our oki. All of the second hits of his strings are so slow so delay wakeup kills.
When we play Quan, instead of meaty we backdash d4, and I think that's beautiful :,)

toughts on the best kameo for quan?

Personally im have the most success with sektor,the zoning sequneces if you can get them going feel strong.He also allows him to convert into good damage from all his buttons without needing to use the 2 bar tentacle.The missle can also be used for good block pressure and frame traps.

Even though is 900 health with sektor i feel like can be somewhat a threath,and mount an offense weathere zoning or close.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
Currently having the most success with Kano or Sub, leaning towards Kano though.

Like I said earlier in the thread, 850 health feels a bit shitty sometimes but the zoning with Kano knives to cover the gaps while you set up portal is super, super oppressive. Sometimes I'll just steamroll whole rounds from full screen.

Kano also allows him safe comboable 50/50s from his 213/214 into around 30% which is nice for his upclose game against people with teleports, which again can lead to more steamrolling. Very much feels like a glass cannon character.

Starting to move away from the "he sucks" camp now. Think he's very much fun and usable, but you've gotta be prepared to take the occasional L getting pressured to death with little way to get out.

Ashesfall

"Feel the wrath of Shao Kahn"
Didn't read the thread, but I noticed a detail.
In the artwork section under characters, you have 2 pictures, both showing 2 defaults.
Omni-Man only has 1 picture, but Quan has 2 but only 1 default outfit like Omni-Man. I have him level 20 and beat his tower but the second picture is still locked.
So is this an oversight on NRS or will we get a second outfit for him? DLC already as concept in?

Or does someone have his second artwork unlocked?

Currently having the most success with Kano or Sub, leaning towards Kano though.

Like I said earlier in the thread, 850 health feels a bit shitty sometimes but the zoning with Kano knives to cover the gaps while you set up portal is super, super oppressive. Sometimes I'll just steamroll whole rounds from full screen.

Kano also allows him safe comboable 50/50s from his 213/214 into around 30% which is nice for his upclose game against people with teleports, which again can lead to more steamrolling. Very much feels like a glass cannon character.

Starting to move away from the "he sucks" camp now. Think he's very much fun and usable, but you've gotta be prepared to take the occasional L getting pressured to death with little way to get out.
sounds interesting,i never even considered kano due to the 850 health,and other kameos that do that too,i originally wanted to play team mk4 quan and goro,never even labbed it due to the health value.Feeling really comfortable with sektor atm but always nice to see other perspectives.

In my opinion, in order for Quan Chi to be viable, you have to use Sareena as the kameo. Some of these setups would have to be overpowered if you were to win with a character that essentially has no safe mid string.
  • Sareena provides Quan Chi with additional health points.
  • f+2, forward kameo (single blade) jails and becomes safe, even advantage on block from further ranges, so you have a safe mid attack.
  • f+2, forward kameo guarantees a safe portal activation on hit.
  • Back kameo (double blades) offers meter-less conversions after every string and allows Quan Chi to save meter for combo breakers and EX d,b+3.
  • The staple combo is any string, 2,1,4 being the most damaging one, back kameo, forward dash b+3,4,2, 1,3, standing 4, d,b+4 or forward dash f+2,1 for safe portal activation.
  • After back kameo, forward dash, standing 4, d,b+4 connects full screen. Obviously, EX d,b+4 also works. So does forward dash, standing 4, back kameo, forward dash b+3,4,2 if wish to use the full kameo meter.
How does Sareena fix his horrible pokes?
My issue is vs S+ Tiers he can't get anything out or take his turn back. And forget it vs Raiden/Johnny with Stryker or Kane
If he had a 7f D1 and 7f S1 and 12f Mid F2 I think he'd be very strong. Just pokes are fundamental to this meta, even previous MK games unless you had a broke tier mid like 9f Mid with 6f Poke

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
Been running Sonya, mid projectile with insane recovery and being plus 102 full screen allows for fun zoning loops. You can also use her to increase damage on combos but that kills her recovery so maybe end of round thing

M2Dave

Zoning Master
How does Sareena fix his horrible pokes?
She does not. No character does.

Sareena fits Quan Chi best for the reasons that I have already outlined. However, the best Quan Chi player I have fought thus far is King Jr., who uses Quan Chi/Kung Lao.
  • Standing 4, cage of bones, Kung Lao's teleport kameo leads to a full combo anywhere on the screen. Think standing 4 into Sektor's teleport except you actually get good damage with Kung Lao.
  • Stuff like 2,1, low hat and 2,1,4, low hat is gimmicky but at least forces your opponent to fuzzy guard.
  • f+2 jails into low hat.
  • 1,3 and 1 low hat hit on the same frame at 24 frames.
  • This point may be confusing and an aspect of the character that most players are unaware of. After you activate and stand outside the portal at the correct range, EX d,b+1 becomes a two or three frame overhead to low hard-to-blockable. Whether intentional or not, this setup sounds very good in theory, yet in practice it is difficult to apply. Low hat may be the best choice.
In reality, Quan Chi will always struggle because this game is like an anti-zoning buffet. LOL. You are spoon-fed teleports, armor, reflects, etc. While characters like Ashrah, Reiko, and Sindel can control the pace of the match up due to their versatility, Quan Chi cannot consistently do so. He has terrible pokes, footsies, defense, etc. He excessively relies on kameos, and at this point in the game's lifespan, we know that those characters who do tend to be on the lower end of the tier spectrum.

Kyu

CHOO CHOO BANE TRAIN
Loving him with cyrax so far
what juice do you have so far? I’ve been using Cyrax too

My timing isn’t good enough to combo off quan grab fully yet but still if you hit them w Cyrax it will send full screen and you can wake up skull to stuff any response

Having the ability to do 2144 into horizontal copter then portal skulls is nice, and 213 kameo combos too

the best part has consistently been comboing into net tho and I still need optimals. Rn my go to is

12-kameo-db3-kameo-4-bf1 detonate Cyrax-3-j1-3-j21-bf4 and that’s I think 38%. Corner you get more.

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
what juice do you have so far? I’ve been using Cyrax too

My timing isn’t good enough to combo off quan grab fully yet but still if you hit them w Cyrax it will send full screen and you can wake up skull to stuff any response

Having the ability to do 2144 into horizontal copter then portal skulls is nice, and 213 kameo combos too

the best part has consistently been comboing into net tho and I still need optimals. Rn my go to is

12-kameo-db3-kameo-4-bf1 detonate Cyrax-3-j1-3-j21-bf4 and that’s I think 38%. Corner you get more.
I just got him on Sunday and found some dirt in the corner

Fatality o

Cigretts PSN
Standing 4, cage of bones, Kung Lao's teleport kameo leads to a full combo anywhere on the screen. Think standing 4 into Sektor's teleport except you actually get good damage with Kung Lao.
This works with motaro teleport too. Can also get 29% off ex DB1 with motaro teleport into full screen hard knockdown.

Last edited:

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
You can move the portal to the overhead low sweet spot

Here's the set up off his overhead post cage

Yes it also breaks armor on wake up

You can get the same results with cyrax as well
Wondered how long it'd take people to realise its easier to position the portal than it is Quan himself for these HTB setups. That stuff you've found in the corner looks nice af.

Once you get comfortable moving the portal you can throw out that HTB during your zoning and in the neutral. Even at fullscreen you still get a bit of damage from it.

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
Wondered how long it'd take people to realise its easier to position the portal than it is Quan himself for these HTB setups. That stuff you've found in the corner looks nice af.

Once you get comfortable moving the portal you can throw out that HTB during your zoning and in the neutral. Even at fullscreen you still get a bit of damage from it.
Didnt take me long at all haha. Once I realized that you can move it around it was a wrap. What I’ve been doing with full screen portal is move in and out alternating green and purple skull with air skull then go for the hard to block rune right before it expire.