What's new

General/Other - D'Vorah Proposed D'Vorah Buffs

Does NRS need to give more attention to weaker variations?

• Yes, all variations of a character should be tournament viable.

• No, just use the strongest one.

Results are only viewable after voting.

C88 Zombieekiler

Up and coming sub zero
I don't know about you, but I'm not seeing too many Debra's in top 8 outside of HB. The skill of the player is just as important, if not more so, than the tools the character has. http://testyourmight.com/threads/honeybee-in-neutral.55171/#post-1855484

On topic: One of the biggest selling points from NRS was the variation system, but I've yet to see it shine. There are a ton of variations that are overshadowed. I say buff the hell out of them.
I know honeybee is a fatastic player but just imo d vorah is a great character and he is downplaying her.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I think only Jason and Tanya had been out, that was when PPJ came up with his tier list with D'vorah being number 1.
That was before all of her nerfs. Regardless she got nerfed and a lot of characters got buffed/introduced making my thoughts at that time iirrelevant.

HoneyBee

Flash God Lord
I know honeybee is a fatastic player but just imo d vorah is a great character and he is downplaying her.
I never said she's not a great character. She is. There's just 6 or so characters that are better and I'm fine with that. I'm not downplaying her at all. You don't even know what the frames of her pressure are, where the gaps are, or how to deal with it. Your lack of knowledge on the character does not equal to me being a downplayer.

C88 Zombieekiler

Up and coming sub zero
I never said she's not a great character. She is. There's just 6 or so characters that are better and I'm fine with that. I'm not downplaying her at all. You don't even know what the frames of her pressure are, where the gaps are, or how to deal with it. Your lack of knowledge on the character does not equal to me being a downplayer.
i thought you were saying she was outside of top ten if you were not im mistaken and im learning the mu so chill

HoneyBee

Flash God Lord
i thought you were saying she was outside of top ten if you were not im mistaken and im learning the mu so chill
Where did I say she's outside of top 10? I said in the OP she's in the 7-9 range and I said that multiple times in this thread. I respect you learning the MU. The fact that you're still learning the MU means you really can't comment on exactly how strong the character is.

C88 Zombieekiler

Up and coming sub zero
Where did I say she's outside of top 10? I said in the OP she's in the 7-9 range and I said that multiple times in this thread. I respect you learning the MU. The fact that you're still learning the MU means you really can't comment on exactly how strong the character is.
did you not say it in a stream?

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
Every variation should not be viable. Every variation should have a use (specific mu), but I don't think that every character needs every variation to be viable all the time.

The reason the other 2 are weak in comparison is because SQ is so strong. That's the problem with some characters; they've got a decent genera. design, but there is one variation which handles pretty much everything better than the other 2. Honestly if you want to buff the other two then SQ should almost be nerfed. There is no reason to use the other 2 not because they are bad, but because SQ is so good.
This x100. DVorah is a much stronger character than 90% of the cast, and even her "weaker" variations are at least on par with some of the more balanced characters in the game. If it's balance you are seeking @HoneyBee , maybe you should be asking for SQ to be nerfed down to the level of the other two more balanced variations.

However , I doubt you will because I think you already know this, and I highly doubt this is anything but a "buff my already really strong character" thread, side variations included.

Quan Chi definitely has the worst armor move, no arguments here. But at least he has one variation that has a useful one. Even if Quan Chi had a 20f armor move like D'Vorah, it wouldn't make a difference when you get knocked down by Kung Lao, Tanya, Jax, Raiden, etc etc.
To be fair against tempest lao all wakeups get stuffed in the corner. Only cassies wakeup is too hard to stuff consistently.

I GOT HANDS

I'm impartial either way, I just want universal assets to actually be... universal.
Characters like QC will not be balanced with armored starters or armor at all. We can't just blanket all characters and say everyone should have this mechanic.

Otherwise everyone should get QC's vortex while we at it. This isn't how we balance

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Characters like QC will not be balanced with armored starters or armor at all. We can't just blanket all characters and say everyone should have this mechanic.

Otherwise everyone should get QC's vortex while we at it. This isn't how we balance
First off, I didn't mention Quan Chi, and with that said, ever heard of Warlock? Friendly reminder that I did say in at least 1 variation, which 23 out of 29 characters have (< seriously... just... think about that for a second...). Your analogy about "everyone should therefore get Quan Chi's mixups" doesn't compare at all.

Besides, most people don't even know what they want when it comes to balance, talking a big sob story about how hard done by Shinnok was at the start of the game's life. And now they wanna send him to hell.

Nah, she's already good. Let's worry about the jobbers first.
He said that he doesnt think only D'vorah needs buffs. He thinks all characters weaker variations should be buffed, he is just focusing on D'vorah.

Now as for the actual changes, I could see that being a fair buff for venomous as long as it was fully punishable with no push back at all. Like -21.

Brood mother I think needs a tad bit less time on bug krawler like you said. But I also think You should be able to f11 ex bug blast and still be able continue the combo. Just my opinion.

I GOT HANDS

First off, I didn't mention Quan Chi, and with that said, ever heard of Warlock? Friendly reminder that I did say in at least 1 variation, which 23 out of 29 characters have (< seriously... just... think about that for a second...). Your analogy about "everyone should therefore get Quan Chi's mixups" doesn't compare at all.

Besides, most people don't even know what they want when it comes to balance, talking a big sob story about how hard done by Shinnok was at the start of the game's life. And now they wanna send him to hell.
Chill bro, if "universal" doesn't include all the variations universally, then ignore my comment. I'm obviously talking about what happens if we give Summoner armor. And btw you did say QC because you said "universally" so I responded with an example

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
I think it's too late to remove the mashability of reversals... that's part of the game for me now, at least. You'll see on Saturday.
That said, I agree with your ideology and would love to see a perfect variations system, but ex ovipositor being 12 frames and lauching would be horrifying, it would give venomous dvorah actual damage off of F1, F2,and B1, damage being the thing I think she's supposed to not have outside of poison stacking.
I think this could be resolved by making it a light launch, like the regular puddle. So after an EX Ovi Charge, you could only connect a D1 Ovi midscreen.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Chill bro, if "universal" doesn't include all the variations universally, then ignore my comment. I'm obviously talking about what happens if we give Summoner armor. And btw you did say QC because you said "universally" so I responded with an example
Lol hell no, I was simply referring to characters who don't have an armored starter at all. This site already goes through enough aggravation, I think we could do without what it would become if Summoner got an armored starter.

I GOT HANDS

Fair enough, but I still think it's a good example of why we shouldn't blanket things. Giving out armoured starters just because other people have them rather than to improve the balance, is a recipe for disaster. "Certain" characters are doing just fine without one lol.

Dean

On The Grind
I'm ok with overall balance for all variations.

What I don't want to see, is NRS placing emphasis on some of these variations like Hat Trick, when other characters are simply just ass throughout all variations.

Priority should be a thing. Hopefully it is.