What's new

Possible Converter to use PS2 pads for MKX on PS4

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
Solution found by MadeFromMetal:

I wrote up this guide in case anyone stumbles across this thread later and needs it.

1. Buy this adapter. - $16.00

2. There are six switches on the back, when you get it, flip the 4th switch. (The 1st in the 2nd group of 3.) If you don't flip the switch, It will work fine, but you can't use it in local multiplayer. Every time you press "up", it will assign itself to the other profile.

3. Have the PS4 on and MKX already running.

4. Plug the PS2 pad into the adapter and the adapter into the PS4.

5. You'll get a message saying you can't use wireless PS3 controllers, ignore it. Shortly after, you'll get a pop up saying you've connected a legacy controller and it is assigned to your profile. Press X on the DS4.

6. Press "Analog" on the PS2 pad if it isn't already lit up.
You should now be able to use the directional buttons with no problem, but the action buttons will be switched. (Circle=X, Square=Circle, X=Square, Triangle is unchanged.)

7. Use the DS4 to navigate to your wireless presets and edit the new preset using your PS2 pad to put the correct buttons where they should be.

And you're done.

----

Tips:

1. Do not try to navigate the menus using the PS2 controller. You will make a mistake and accidentally log out of WBID, or back out of character select on accident. Just use the DS4 to make all decisions until you have selected your character and variation, then pick up the PS2 pad and play.

2. If you happen to be player 2, you can hit the Home button on the Adapter to switch profiles to yours.

3. Options is now Start and the Touchpad is Select, so you can still reset in Practice and toggle theater view in KOTH.
Edit: Original Post Below

Many of you may have recalled last month that @zaf started a thread (http://testyourmight.com/threads/ps2-pad-converter-that-works-on-ps4.50765/) about a convertor that allowed him to use ps2 pads on MKX utilizing the lab zero driver. The problem with this convertor was that if player 2 played with a dual shock 4, the converter could not decide which ds4 profile to sign into, making it unusable as it would keep toggling back and forth between player 1 and player 2 ds4 profiles. That convertor lacked a home button that would just let you press it to assign itself to a ds4 like the ps3 legacy sticks have that let them do the same function.

While rummaging through my box of pads today looking for a ps1 controller, I found this convertor I had totally forgotten I own. It is called the Mayflash universal adapter (http://www.mayflash.com/products/xboxxbox360/mf001.html ). It can readily be found on eBay and amazon for less than $20. What is important to note is that this converter has a built in home button. I decided to see if this converter would work with the lab zero driver without the toggling profile problem.

I tested it out using Ultra SF4 for the PS4 as I don't own a copy of MKX for ps4 (I play on Xbone). It is my understanding that Ultra SF4 and MKX utilize the lab zero driver in the same way. I started the game up with 2 DS4s connected. I selected versus, then I had player 2 select a character with the ds4. Afterwards I plugged in the converter which already had a ps2 connected. I hit the home button on the converter and a message popped up on the screen: "PS3 wireless controllers are not allowed". I thought it was a bust but the message quickly disappeared and I was able to select and pick a character with the ps2 pad. In game I pressed attack buttons on the ps2 pad and only my character responded. No toggling issue was observed. Inputs on the player two side were unaffected.

One thing to note. The buttons get remapped differently when using the convertor. Circle becomes X. X becomes circle. Square becomes triangle. Triangle become Square. This only matters when navigating in game menus. You can alway remap them properly for gameplay.

In terms of lag, I cannot really comment because I only did limited testing. I was able to hit my one frame links in street fighter but I don't think that means much. For its low cost, I think you guys can evaluate this for yourselves.

I will try to see if I can get out to an event to test this directly with MKX.

I am tagging the following because I think you guys have expressed wanting a cheap option for a ps2 pads.
@RM Indecisive
@Pig Of The Hut
@RM JagoBlake
@HoneyBee
@MITDJT

Last edited:

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Is there any reason someone wants to play on ps2 pads? I feel right at home with the ps4 pad. Honest question.

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
Not for xbone. This is taking advantage of the lab zero driver which is only used in the ps4 version of the game.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Personally, I am a stick player. I don't play on pad but I like to have the option if it comes down to it.

To answer your question, the triggers break of to easy and doing b-f moves is troublesome. This thread goes into more detail: http://testyourmight.com/threads/the-mkx-ps4-pad-depression-thread-this-pad-is-a-problem.50469/
Thanks after reading that I feel like i gotta find my ps2 pad and play around with it. Also realized i have no clue how i go about doing moves lol. Actually might get that converter someday too. 20 plus 20 for a ps2 pad = easy controller replacement.

WidowPuppy

Attack pekingese
Does this require a wired controller to be connected to the converter as well, besides the ps1 controller? Ps1 pad is my favorite FG controller by far, own like 9 of em, lol. They're 3 bucks each on amazon.

Thanks for the inspiration chemist4hire. Thanks to your write up and an old ps2/gc/xbox to usb converter I had laying around I've gotten my x-arcade dual stick up and running for MKX. It's so nice to use a stick instead of a pad. Now I just have to relearn my button layout.

Last edited:

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
Does this require a wired controller to be connected to the converter as well, besides the ps1 controller? Ps1 pad is my favorite FG controller by far, own like 9 of em, lol. They're 3 bucks each on amazon.
No wired controller needed. All you need is a DS4, the converter and your ps1 pad.

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
Retested and found that you can also use this adapter to play with a dual shock 3 or any wired xbox 360 controller as well. Only thing different you have to do is plug in the converter and then plug in your dual shock 3 or wired xbox 360 controller after the player light on the converter lights up.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Many of you may have recalled last month that @zaf started a thread (http://testyourmight.com/threads/ps2-pad-converter-that-works-on-ps4.50765/) about a convertor that allowed him to use ps2 pads on MKX utilizing the lab zero driver. The problem with this convertor was that if player 2 played with a dual shock 4, the converter could not decide which ds4 profile to sign into, making it unusable as it would keep toggling back and forth between player 1 and player 2 ds4 profiles. That convertor lacked a home button that would just let you press it to assign itself to a ds4 like the ps3 legacy sticks have that let them do the same function.

While rummaging through my box of pads today looking for a ps1 controller, I found this convertor I had totally forgotten I own. It is called the Mayflash universal adapter (http://www.mayflash.com/products/xboxxbox360/mf001.html ). It can readily be found on eBay and amazon for less than $20. What is important to note is that this converter has a built in home button. I decided to see if this converter would work with the lab zero driver without the toggling profile problem.

I tested it out using Ultra SF4 for the PS4 as I don't own a copy of MKX for ps4 (I play on Xbone). It is my understanding that Ultra SF4 and MKX utilize the lab zero driver in the same way. I started the game up with 2 DS4s connected. I selected versus, then I had player 1 select a character with the ds4. Afterwards I plugged in the converter which already had a ps2 connected. I hit the home button on the converter and a message popped up on the screen: "PS3 wireless controllers are not allowed". I thought it was a bust but the message quickly disappeared and I was able to select and pick a character with the ps2 pad. In game I pressed attack buttons on the ps2 pad and only my character responded. No toggling issue was observed. Inputs on the player one side were unaffected.

One thing to note. The buttons get remapped differently when using the convertor. Circle becomes X. X becomes circle. Square becomes triangle. Triangle become Square. This only matters when navigating in game menus. You can alway remap them properly for gameplay.

In terms of lag, I cannot really comment because I only did limited testing. I was able to hit my one frame links in street fighter but I don't think that means much. For its low cost, I think you guys can evaluate this for yourselves.

I will try to see if I can get out to an event to test this directly with MKX.

I am tagging the following because I think you guys have expressed wanting a cheap option for a ps2 pads.
@RM Indecisive
@Pig Of The Hut
@RM JagoBlake
@HoneyBee
@MITDJT
Thank you for your post

To be clear, when I use this device do I need just a ps2 converter and this converter or do I need a ds4 and ps2 and converter?

Either way I'm excited to try it out

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
Thank you for your post

To be clear, when I use this device do I need just a ps2 converter and this converter or do I need a ds4 and ps2 and converter?

Either way I'm excited to try it out
All I used was the ds4, the converter and a ps2 pad. Thats it. There is no chaining of converters required.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Because it is using the lab zero driver like the legacy ps3 sticks. This is not a straight up ps2 to ps4 adapter. It is taking advantage of the fact that mkx lets you use ps3 sticks to play mix. This converter will only let you use ps2 pads on games with the lab zero driver (MKX, Ultra SF4 and Skullgirls).
Understood

Thx man, I'll give it a shot

WidowPuppy

Attack pekingese
Thanks @chemist4hire . Ordering one now, PS1 pad HYPE! So... Do i just have the converter plugged into player one slot, and the DS4 on player two USB? Do I need two profiles signed in? If you could provide the order of operations, I would appreciate it, never used the Lab Zero driver.

Edit: Order placed. :)

Last edited:

AK XEN0M0RPH

The lift is strong in this one
OK I found a big flaw with this. It will only let you be player one at all times. So if 2 people use the same adapter it won't work. And if only one person does use it, they have to be player one.
well I just ordered one, wish I had seen this before

WidowPuppy

Attack pekingese
OK I found a big flaw with this. It will only let you be player one at all times. So if 2 people use the same adapter it won't work. And if only one person does use it, they have to be player one.

@buyacushun
@WidowPuppy
@Pig Of The Hut
@zaf
Sure that will suck for some people. This won't affect me, because I just bought it for my online scrub status. Thanks for the heads up though Chemist. Still wondering the process for what to do exactly when I turn on my PS4. And one other thing [USB port's longevity in mind] Do I have to reinsert it every time I turn on the system for the PS4 to recognize the device, or can it remain plugged in to my PS4 indefinitely?

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.

@buyacushun
@WidowPuppy
@Pig Of The Hut
@zaf
That sucks but it does make me think there might be a pad-to-Ps3 converter that might take advantage of the L0 drivers and work perfectly. Someone with excess income should buy a bunch and test them all.

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
Sure that will suck for some people. This won't affect me, because I just bought it for my online scrub status. Thanks for the heads up though Chemist. Still wondering the process for what to do exactly when I turn on my PS4. And one other thing [USB port's longevity in mind] Do I have to reinsert it every time I turn on the system for the PS4 to recognize the device, or can it remain plugged in to my PS4 indefinitely?
Plug in when the game loads.

Order:
1. Turn on PS4 with DS4 plugged in.
2. Load MKX
3. At menu screen, unplug DS4 and plug in the converter with the ps2 pad already plugged in.