What's new

POLL: What Buffalo did... Was it wrong?

Was Buffalo inappropriate for his pop off?

• Yes

Votes: 282 67.1%
  • No

Votes: 138 32.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If you know the backstory, the popoff was absolutely deserved. Y’all are acting like he put hands on Scar or threw something or spit on him or some shit. This used to happen all the time back in the day when there were genuine rivalries and beef.
I don't understand how behaving like goons in the past justifies doing it at what is a professional event nowadays. We have new standards when we move forward.
Sure, pop offs can be amusing, but there's a line until it just becomes embarrassing, especially when there's a real beef going on (which is in itself ridiculous). Scar may have behaved like a dick with the tweets, but having a fit that grotesque while also standing that close is not at all a good look even if you feel that it was somehow deserved.

I'll grant that Buffalo was acting his age, but that still doesn't excuse being a dipshit. He plays a damn good Sub-Zero, there's no reason for any of this nonsense. Buffalo should just let f2 speak for him.

Obnoxious outbursts and belligerence as a reward for winning a match really shouldn't be a revered trait in fighting game scenes.

ItsYaBoi

Noob
You guys saying Buffalo deserved to make a scene are ridiculous and missing the point. If he had done it on the streets or somewhere else then sure - whatever. Acting like that at an event though is childish, inmature and idiotic plain and simple. It just shows that you dont have any sportsmanship and you dont know how to behave at these events.

It also doesnt matter if the beef is for something as trivial as "Timmy at school hid my backpack" (and this beef is at best on this level) or if he insulted your mom for a month straight from morning till evening, 24/7.

You want to set the record straight, punch the guy, get even, whatever, just do it outside of an event. Drive to his house, set a meet, wait for him someplace, talk shit about him online, hell whatever you think you need to do. But deserved or not you dont act like that at an event, period. The beef is between the two of you so dont bother others with it.

People give Scar props for not stooping to that level at an event not because he is a hero or innocent in the beef. Him showing the middlefinger is just his way to get over the situation in that moment. Imagine if he had talked back or yelled back at Buffalo to get out of his face, you can tell me all you like but Buffalo would have lost it. 9/10 people that watched it had the impression he already did anyway.

Anyways for almost everyone their beef is totally irrelevant. I personally dont care at all what any of these guys do or dont do outside of them playing at tournaments/on stream. I (and tons of others that see things like me) saw a big child act out like a maniac at a tournament and i was glad not be in Scars shoes cuz i wouldnt have stayed that calm with someone in my face like that.

And lol at people saying you are entitled to act like that. Someone up in your face like that you definitely dont have to hold shit. Seen plenty of people at sports and esport events get their faces bashed in for thinking that. Now you can say its ridiculius over a game etcetc all you want but reality is that there is a good chance that you will provoke a fight. And if you get beat up for being stupid you deserve it. Heck go to a sportsbar today and see what happens if you act like that and then come back and tell me if people "just hold that".

Pop off is one thing... a mental episode is something else.
All this rambling mess and you don’t once blame Scar for starting all of this. Scar was being a lil bish and talking shit on Twitter - where it’s completely safe. God forbid that he had to face some backlash at an event from the person he was shit talking. If he can’t handle 30 seconds of somebody shouting in his face AFTER he shit talked them, then no wonder he can only run his mouth on Twitter. Buffalo was slightly OTT, but I’m glad he popped off. Goes to show that you can’t talk shit without consequences.

But like the poster I quoted earlier, you are all the kind of people to not do anything when somebody is getting bullied but then when the victim fights back, shun the victim. How dare he defend himself.

Let’s cut the shit, it’s just because Scar is more popular and a darling of the scene. That’s why you’re all defending him.

It’s pathetic clique behaviour.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
All this rambling mess and you don’t once blame Scar for starting all of this. Scar was being a lil bish and talking shit on Twitter - where it’s completely safe. God forbid that he had to face some backlash at an event from the person he was shit talking. If he can’t handle 30 seconds of somebody shouting in his face AFTER he shit talked them, then no wonder he can only run his mouth on Twitter. Buffalo was slightly OTT, but I’m glad he popped off. Goes to show that you can’t talk shit without consequences.

But like the poster I quoted earlier, you are all the kind of people to not do anything when somebody is getting bullied but then when the victim fights back, shun the victim. How dare he defend himself.

Let’s cut the shit, it’s just because Scar is more popular and a darling of the scene. That’s why you’re all defending him.

Eh, woah dude, Smack talking isn't bullying. Everyone does it whether it's with a friend or with an actual rival. And sure sometimes it can get out of hand but for the most part, people don't think twice about it once it's all said and done. Buffalo isn't a freaking victim, he's a kid who let his temper and his ego got the better of him. This isn't about loving one player over another, if Buffalo couldn't let the smack talk go after winning, he's the immature one. Winning itself is the biggest FU there is anyways, the pop-off was overkill and cringey as hell.

LOL - https://kotaku.com/fighting-game-tournament-has-too-much-actual-fighting-1836049420

Congrats all of you children preaching eye for an eye and acting all macho get your recognition now. Embarrassing really. It's no wonder other gaming genre's are leagues ahead of the fgc in being avenues for players to go professional and make a career out of doing something they love. Sad really as far as spectatorship, participation from casuals, apparel and equipment to sell, etc. the fgc genre has everything it needs. It's too bad big money is often afraid to touch the genre with sexual harassment, Sonics VGA speech, and now this crap just to name a few examples. Add in the vocal components in the community you can see in this thread who support it. It's really no surprise.

Maybe I'm out of touch and games are for kids so it's what we should expect...

As an aside in regards to bullying Buffalo. Obviously there's a lot of people who think how he acted was wrong and that it was a mistake. That doesn't make him a horrible human being or irredeemable. People make mistakes, hopefully people learn from them and make the needed adjustments going forward. Buffalo is pretty young, really damn good at the game and should have a bright future ahead should he choose to keep competing.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
LOL - https://kotaku.com/fighting-game-tournament-has-too-much-actual-fighting-1836049420

Congrats all of you children preaching eye for an eye and acting all macho get your recognition now. Embarrassing really. It's no wonder other gaming genre's are leagues ahead of the fgc in being avenues for players to go professional and make a career out of doing something they love. Sad really as far as spectatorship, participation from casuals, apparel and equipment to sell, etc. the fgc genre has everything it needs. It's too bad big money is often afraid to touch the genre with sexual harassment, Sonics VGA speech, and now this crap just to name a few examples. Add in the vocal components in the community you can see in this thread who support it. It's really no surprise.

Maybe I'm out of touch and games are for kids so it's what we should expect...

As an aside in regards to bullying Buffalo. Obviously there's a lot of people who think how he acted was wrong and that it was a mistake. That doesn't make him a horrible human being or irredeemable. People make mistakes, hopefully people learn from them and make the needed adjustments going forward. Buffalo is pretty young, really damn good at the game and should have a bright future ahead should he choose to keep competing.
double edged sword ..... this incident worked as a good hype promotion material for CEO , at the same time, made the envolved competitors looks poor and brainless ambassadors for FGC in general ? :p

Bufallo is very young and has a lot of experience to acquire yet on competitive environment, how to behave before stressful and provocative situations, etc .... this subject is bringing too much unnescessary drama already .... if they had engaged on physical assault, punching each other in front of thousands of people, ok, could be a very very serious stuff to deal with .... since it was not what happened, let it go, hehe :cool:

Last edited:
double edged sword ..... this incident worked as a good hype promotion material for CEO , at the same time, made the envolved competitors looks poor and brainless ambassadors for FGC in general ? :p

Bufallo is very young and has a lot of experince to acquire yet on competitive environment, how to behave before stressful and provocative situations, etc .... this subject is bringing too much unnescessary drama already .... if they had engaged on physical assault, punching each other in front of thousands of people, ok, could be a very very serious stuff to deal with .... since it was not what happened, let it go, hehe :cool:
I suspect Jebaily would rather not have had his tournament venue promoted in such a way. But that's just speculation on my part.

NeonGroovyGator

Vampire mommy simp
Eh, woah dude, Smack talking isn't bullying. Everyone does it whether it's with a friend or with an actual rival. And sure sometimes it can get out of hand but for the most part, people don't think twice about it once it's all said and done. Buffalo isn't a freaking victim, he's a kid who let his temper and his ego got the better of him. This isn't about loving one player over another, if Buffalo couldn't let the smack talk go after winning, he's the immature one. Winning itself is the biggest FU there is anyways, the pop-off was overkill and cringey as hell.
Thanks for mentioning this. While I'm particularly not one to shit talk unless I'm replying to a shittalker, it's NOT bullying ffs.
The Raptor situation might qualify as bullying but I wasn't there and haven't seen enough info to judge. THIS DEFINITELY ISN'T. And saying it is only makes people take actual bullying less seriously.
Losing after the smack talk already made Scar look like an idiot, and judging by his face, he realized that immediatly.

ApexPredator1509

☕️ ☕️ ☕️

What Scar did was wrong but what buffalo did was worse, period.
I'm not 'shunning' a victim here.
He proved scar he shouldn't have underestimated him but raging like a manchild in front of an audience, nah man take that shit outside.

Afumba

Noob

Dude you should learn to read. Srsly it would do you good and while at it give a shot at understanding too.

Lets see if you can follow this time. I will spoon feed it to you.

Here goes... i dont give a crap about Buffalo or Scar. They are two strangers to me, i dont know them, i dont follow them and i dont care what they do with their life, period. This goes for every other pro MK player as well. I dont watch MK11 events or streams to see a specific person play, i watch them to enjoy MK11 and to be entertained with MK11. If Scar, Buffalo, Sonic, whomever wont be at that event i wont shed a tear. Others at that event will entertain me. I also route for characters at an event not a person and if i dont like the characters i route for the players thats more sympathetic to me in that moment. I would also route for peoples i talk to here over some top player who is a total stranger to me. I am also equaly greatful to every competitor who entains me at an event, doesnt matter who you f-ing are. Same goes for streaming, i watch the most enjoyable stream and not the most beloved or the best player. And FYI i was rooting for Buffalo cuz i liked watching his Sub. With all that being said take your stupid "Scar fanboy" argument and shove it were the sun dont shine.

Further going by all i have said above i dont care what beef they have. As someone watching an MK tournament your f-ing private shit is not something i need to see and its something you should not bother people with. This has nothing to do with favoritism or bullying or anything. Nobody got bullied at that tournament. The only thing that happened was Buffalo acting out.

Furthermore for most people that had to see that ofc Scar looks like the good guy because in that situation as standalone he was. If you are a spectator and see that without any context the only conclusion you can come to is that Buffalo is acting like a morronic child or having a mental episode while Scar is seemingly being the bigger man. And how can you say otherwise? Who behaved like a caveman at that event? People saying he had to defend his rep... what rep? And even if so do you honestly think that kindergarden beef with Scar damaged his rep more than what he did to himself at CEO? If so you are delusional.
So to sum this point up for most people Buffalo is responsible for one of the most cringe moment in MK11 and he did that to himself.

Now if you want to talk about the beef itself, sure Scar shouldnt have made his remarks or phrased the posts that started it all differently. But i still dont care about this childish shit one bit. Its their kindergarden party not mine. And no matter how you spin it there is no reason for Buffalo to address this at an event. Your so called "backlash" wasnt really a backlash cuz Scar came out on top in the viewers eyes. Besides how is him winning against Scar in a FT2 backlash for the "Buffalo only wins against good players in a ft2". If anything it helps Scars alleged point.

Oh, and its not bullying. Since when is smack talk and blocking someone on chat bullying? Do you know what bullying even means?

Next up is your question why i never blamed Scar for starting this.... can you guess it? Exactly cuz i dont care who started it. You see this is a thread about what happened at CEO not about what happened between Buffalo and Scar in their life. And i voice my opinion on what happened at CEO and the way i see it. You and others can feel free to disagree and have a different opinion. This still doesnt change the fact that no one is obligated to care about private beef while watching a tournament. Everyone not wanting shit like that happening at an event has a right to it, people wanting to air their private shit at event do not. If you want to be a competitor at an event you should know your manners, be respectful and show sportsmanship. Acting like that shows none of that. And spare me the "this happened before/in other communities" speech as its irrelevant. It shouldnt happen period. And given that Buffalo is losing this poll in a competitive forum how do you think he wouke fair in other forums?

He is very young and apologized which is a good thing and shows character. But he was still out line and i hope this experience makes sure that he handles things more appropriately next time.

So just stop. You are not in the majority and this behavior is not how things should be. So dont act all high and mighty and if you think otherwise the only person looking pathetic is you.

Also assuming that people ignore bullying just cuz they have a different opinion than you makes you look stupid. Not that it matters but i got beat up multiple times cuz i stepped in and landed in the ER once for trying to help a woman. So take your shit out of my face and next time you might consider not to accuse and assume things about peoples you dont know jack shit about.

ItsYaBoi

Noob
Dude you should learn to read. Srsly it would do you good and while at it give a shot at understanding too.

Here goes... i dont give a crap about Buffalo or Scar. They are two strangers to me, i dont know them, i dont follow them and i dont care what they do with their life, period. This goes for every other pro MK player as well. I dont watch MK11 events or streams to see a specific person play, i watch them to enjoy MK11 and to be entertained with MK11. If Scar, Buffalo, Sonic, whomever wont be at that event i wont shed a tear. Others at that event will entertain me. I also route for characters at an event not a person and if i dont like the characters i route for the players thats more sympathetic to me in that moment. I would also route for peoples i talk to here over some top player who is a total stranger to me. I am also equaly greatful to every competitor who entains me at an event, doesnt matter who you f-ing are. Same goes for streaming, i watch the most enjoyable stream and not the most beloved or the best player. And FYI i was rooting for Buffalo cuz i liked watching his Sub. With all that being said take your stupid "Scar fanboy" argument and shove it were the sun dont shine.

Further going by all i have said above i dont care what beef they have. As someone watching an MK tournament your f-ing private shit is not something i need to see and its something you should not bother people with. This has nothing to do with favoritism or bullying or anything. Nobody got bullied at that tournament. The only thing that happened was Buffalo acting out.

Furthermore for most people that had to see that ofc Scar looks like the good guy because in that situation as standalone he was. If you are a spectator and see that without any context the only conclusion you can come to is that Buffalo is acting like a morronic child or having a mental episode while Scar is seemingly being the bigger man. And how can you say otherwise? Who behaved like a caveman at that event? People saying he had to defend his rep... what rep? And even if so do you honestly think that kindergarden beef with Scar damaged his rep more than what he did to himself at CEO? If so you are delusional.
So to sum this point up for most people Buffalo is responsible for one of the most cringe moment in MK11 and he did that to himself.

Now if you want to talk about the beef itself, sure Scar shouldnt have made his remarks or phrased the posts that started it all differently. But i still dont care about this childish shit one bit. Its their kindergarden party not mine. And no matter how you spin it there is no reason for Buffalo to address this at an event. Your so called "backlash" wasnt really a backlash cuz Scar came out on top in the viewers eyes. Besides how is him winning against Scar in a FT2 backlash for the "Buffalo only wins against good players in a ft2". If anything it helps Scars alleged point.

Oh, and its not bullying. Since when is smack talk and blocking someone on chat bullying? Do you know what bullying even means?

Next up is your question why i never blamed Scar for starting this.... can you guess it? Exactly cuz i dont care who started it. You see this is a thread about what happened at CEO not about what happened between Buffalo and Scar in their life. And i voice my opinion on what happened at CEO and the way i see it. You and others can feel free to disagree and have a different opinion. This still doesnt change the fact that no one is obligated to care about private beef while watching a tournament. Everyone not wanting shit like that happening at an event has a right to it, people wanting to air their private shit at event do not. If you want to be a competitor at an event you should know your manners, be respectful and show sportsmanship. Acting like that shows none of that. And spare me the "this happened before/in other communities" speech as its irrelevant. It shouldnt happen period. And given that Buffalo is losing this poll in a competitive forum how do you think he wouke fair in other forums?

He is very young and apologized which is a good thing and shows character. But he was still out line and i hope this experience makes sure that he handles things more appropriately next time.

So just stop. You are not in the majority and this behavior is not how things should be. So dont act all high and mighty and if you think otherwise the only person looking pathetic is you.

Also assuming that people ignore bullying just cuz they have a different opinion than you makes you look stupid. Not that it matters but i got beat up multiple times cuz i stepped in and landed in the ER once for trying to help a woman. So take your shit out of my face and next time you might consider not to accuse and assume things about peoples you dont know jack shit about.
TLDR. I haven’t got time for this shit, it ain’t that deep.

Give me a basic summary or we’re done here.

Ram

Buluc Chabtan

Appreciate your post.

You mention a few times how you don't care about their beef, and that you don't care about the particular players sitting down to play, etc. However, other people might care about those things. Those things may enhance a viewer's experience, rather than detract from it (as it detracted from yours).

Also, and this has been discussed in other contexts, but I don't think the we, as spectators watching on twitch or whatever, deserve anything or are owed anything. I tune in to the stream in order to watch a MK11 tournament, that's really all I should expect. But a lot of other things can be a part of that, including pop-offs and intense moments and drama and beef. So saying something like "none of this behind-the-scenes beef between Buffalo and Scar belongs on stream/belongs at CEO" is kind of entitled in the sense that you are saying "they should only be airing what I want to see and nothing else".

In summary, different people expect/hope for/want to see different things when watching an MK11 tournament stream. I don't think there are "right" or "wrong" things that should/should not take up our viewing time. Hope I explained my perspective clearly.

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?

[/QUOTE/]

The only thing buffalo did was yell. If you think that is remotely ' too far,' then the voices against your opinion can see you have no clue about competitive rivalry or vindication. The people against what happened are soft. It really is that simple. Most people in todays culture favor "professional" behavior over authentic behavior. Ill get a lot of flack for saying this, but thats fine. I genuinely hate people who know the proper way to behave in scenarios theyll never be in. Ive watched tournaments for a decade, stuff like this objectively stirs interest for their rematch and gives people a reason to care about competitors. You say you dont care about what they do outside of tournament, but thanks to their feud, here you and several others are discussing it. Beef between players give matches more weight. Its fun. You make it sound gloom and doom because youre either some suit and tie elitist who wants growth and dollars over fun and joy, OR just a soft child who doesnt know what basing your life on a competitive field feels like. Either way, I think this is the wrong place for those types.

Also, HoneyBee literally hit Sonic at Summit. No one cared about that.

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
Maybe you can't champ but this sort of thing is pretty common
Everybody has been in a beef before with high emotions lol. If not you are just the nicest dude on the planet.
Either of you wanna run a ft10? No? Then please, do not speak to me. Im done associating with the non-competitive people on this competitive forum. Youre trash at worst and internet trolls at best.

Esruck Cype

...or just call me E.C.
Lol@kotaku. How are they still around?
Right? Wasn't even that long ago when Kotaku was the "loltaku" "snowflake" meme of demonizing everything about the FGC in the most "well, I never!" ivory-tower way of writing articles, even worse when their content had some, can we say, "urban" negative connotations about the FGC. Now a Kotaku article is being used as "see guys? the FGC is TOXIC" proof. Mystifying.

Now, to be fair, Kotaku were very much justified in some key topics about community behavior in video games, but shit like this is why they became an FGC joke in the first place.

MKF30 said:
It's like sports really in some ways, I mean someone hits a HR you don't do cartwheels then hit the plate or next time up you'll get a fastball at your head. And Football is just dumb, these guys cry over getting penalty fouls yet they're dancing in the endzone like you scored big deal, game ain't over.
Yeah, it's very much like "regular sports". Talk shit, showboat, gloat; then get the retaliatory repercussions. Physical retaliations are definitely out-of-bounds (or not, see: HOCKEY), but a pop-off? After disrespect? Not new, not unexpected.

DrFolmer said:
And whats with yall bringing his appearance into the matter? Saying he looks like a school shooter (im pretty sure someone said that here, or Maybe it was a YT comment), and the dumbass who stereotyped Buffalo as the spoiled white CoD kid who disrespects his mom. You gotta look a certain way to popoff?
Another "real sports" example of that is when Richard Sherman had his post-Super Bowl win and was talking shit about known-shittalker Michael Crabtree, and everyone wanted to use dogwhistle words like "thug" when describing him and the long dreads. If you don't like pop-offs, fine, but personal shit like that is a whole 'nother level of fucked up, way beyond "it's not ok to pop-off ever in sports/eSports"

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Either of you wanna run a ft10? No? Then please, do not speak to me. Im done associating with the non-competitive people on this competitive forum. Youre trash at worst and internet trolls at best.
What would happen if I play you in a FT10? Nothing? If you won would you get a nice ego boost and make yourself feel less pitiful? If I won I'd probably feel like I wasted an hour of my life with some internet drama. Is the FT10 just a lazy way to "win" an argument or do you actually think it matters?

Guess what? A lot of us get real life experience from associating with people.... in real life. If you ever played a competitive sport, or hung out with buddies or just socialized, then maybe you'd know that people get prideful and get into each others face about shit. I've had people in my face before, I've experienced over the top reactions and people talking shit. Do I need to play a video game to understand how it feels? Fuck no.

You just seem like a very angry person, try to enjoy life more

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
What would happen if I play you in a FT10? Nothing? If you won would you get a nice ego boost and make yourself feel less pitiful? If I won I'd probably feel like I wasted an hour of my life with some internet drama. Is the FT10 just a lazy way to "win" an argument or do you actually think it matters?

Guess what? A lot of us get real life experience from associating with people.... in real life. If you ever played a competitive sport, or hung out with buddies or just socialized, then maybe you'd know that people get prideful and get into each others face about shit. I've had people in my face before, I've experienced over the top reactions and people talking shit. Do I need to play a video game to understand how it feels? Fuck no.

You just seem like a very angry person, try to enjoy life more
I get it bro, insult me personally. So, you dont wanna play then? lol. I think if you dont play this game seriously, you dont deserve an opinion on it or people who do. I wasnt trying to prove anything regarding the post, just that you and many others would be a better fit for gamefaqs.

Matix218

Get over here!
I get it bro, insult me personally. So, you dont wanna play then? lol. I think if you dont play this game seriously, you dont deserve an opinion on it or people who do. I wasnt trying to prove anything regarding the post, just that you and many others would be a better fit for gamefaqs.
So you have to play this specific game to have an opinion on buffalo's pop off? Nah, I think you can just watch the replay, do 5 mins of research on the twitter beef, and you have as much of a right to an opinion as Scar and Buffalo themselves.

You joined in 2015?! What a casual noob! Associate with the other babies please, your opinion is worthless here. I refuse to associate with anyone who hasn't been a part of tym since 2012 or earlier. FT10? Can you even count that high?! /s

There ya go, dumbed it down for the audience at hand.