What's new

PL says "KL NOT IN TOP TEN"

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
what'd you mean by 12 frame mid characters? o-0 and how are you able to abuse low hats against kitana and mileena o: I MUST KNOW THIS!!!
If you't have a mid or high combo starter that is less than 12 frames, then you cannot punish KL for low hats up close, only throws or block strings.

You can low hat the shit out of Mileena for example.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
If you't have a mid or high combo starter that is less than 12 frames, then you cannot punish KL for low hats up close, only throws or block strings.

You can low hat the shit out of Mileena for example.
oh, kk, lol but kitana can still punish you for low hats tho....up close

teh_jawNie Kung Lao has waaay more options and tools than scorpion does tho....lol

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
I think cyrax is bad for kung lao, if you dont think he loses to cyrax why didnt you pick kung lao against krayzie at evo?
Rain can lightning any bomb on reaction, he can meter drain all the time & does more meterless damage than Cyrax. He generally has a good meter game going on in that matchup. Also I liked my Rain at that point. :p

This thread is dumb and should be deleted, Only a handful of posts in this 14 page thread make any sense at all
-
LBSH, if you haven't played a Top Lao (Pboard, PL, Reo ect) then you don't know what you are talking about.
People saying he's top 2 are:
A) Terrible players / online players
B) Have no idea what a MU chart is or how MUs work

For the record, he is obviously top 10

The indisputable top 2 are Kabal and Kenshi. Then we have Sonya, Cyrax, Freddy, Smoke, Lao at a comparable level. Anything past that is pure speculation
Pretty sure my Lao is ahead of REOs though...

coolwhip

Noob
I think we should re-evaluate the KL match-ups, maybe he isn't as good as everybody thinks after all.
Kung Lao player does well in tournament: Kung Lao is stupid, ridiculous, one of the best in the game.

Kung Lao player doesn't do well in tournament: Kung Lao is overrated.

I have yet to see one compelling argument for why Kung Lao might be overrated or not as good as everybody thinks. "Struggling against low hit-box characters" isn't an argument. It's a vague assessment that falsely generalizes matters. For instance, he beats Jax and Mileena, both low hit-box characters.

I also have yet to see people who are questioning Lao's top 5 status name the 5 characters who are unquestionably better than him.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
That's from your imagination ? Even when PL dropped mk, ppl though KL was top 1 (before kabal rises by Warda/REO). This char is the biggest threat a newb can be with so far.

How many KL in top 8 since the game as been released ? comon.. PL has nothing to do with KL tier list. People can see by themself. And I think, PL didn't pick kabal as a second main just by coincidence. ;)
No, Kung Lao got knocked off the #1 spot because the community convinced themselves that patching his already punishable specials even more unsafe is some colossal factor at the highest level. God forbid Reo's Mileena made them look better than they really was.

The funniest thing about it is, Mileena still can't punish them.

People are realizing how worthless Online is for matchups too little too late.

Axel_Redd

No, Kung Lao got knocked off the #1 spot because the community convinced themselves that patching his already punishable specials even more unsafe is some colossal factor at the highest level. God forbid Reo's Mileena made them look better than they really was.

The funniest thing about it is, Mileena still can't punish them.

People are realizing how worthless Online is for matchups too little too late.
am i the only one who thinks ex spin shoulda been safe on block? o:

STRYKIE

am i the only one who thinks ex spin shoulda been safe on block? o:
It is to a degree. I think it'd be better off armored but considering it's only just dawned on me as to why everyone frowns upon armor, it's subjective..

Axel_Redd

It is to a degree. I think it'd be better off armored but considering it's only just dawned on me as to why everyone frowns upon armor, it's subjective..
i mean like, it shoulda been even safer, like sonya's ex cartwheel, only without the armor.

Seven

|| Seven ||
Wow REALLY? Kung Lao is the 2nd best character in the game, after Kabal. Hell he's the only one that can stand up to Kabal, just cause you lost a couple games doesn't mean your character sucks. And PL did not win EVO twice with a low tier fighter. PL needs to get over his saltyness and be happy with the 10s of thousands of dollars he's won playing a top tier character!!! I used to think PL had a brain!

STRYKIE

Anyway guys, everyone's right, no way is Kung Lao #2, no way is he higher than Kenshi with the following, completely irrational, irrefutable evidence and logic:

Reactions: RYX

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
kung lao not top 10? yeah he's proberly not if all you do is teleport constantly.im not sure why were even discussing it tbh,he's number 2 without question.

Well, since there's no new nerf on Kung Lao, PL has to say he's not top ten so everyone forgets how good he is.

Then, next year at EVO, he'll bust out his super Kung Lao tech and win again.

SaJa

FH_FenriR
Is it true KL (spin -1 frame, tp more punishable) and kabal (slower iaGB) and resets (smoke) has been nerfed on vita ?

Owerbart

I miss you
KL is of course top 3 in this game. His mobility is godlike. Pretty much the best all-rounder. Thing is that everybody learned the KL matchup for his char, because of how overused KL is. On the other half, I do believe KL has some not so nice matchups, as well as some even ones.

Cage bodies KL IMO. Just look at Dizzy vs PL, who is still one of the best KLs out there.

The Ermac-Kung Lao matchup is indeed interesting. By noone point of view this is bad for Ermac, lots of players consider it a solid 5-5, although Lao eventually has to commit to a risk, against the best punisher in the game. As Illmatix said, there's a lot of shenanigans Mac can play on Lao, and EVERY teleport lao makes gets punished by uppercut into full combo. Big D has this MU as 6-4 Ermac, which it wouldn't be difficult for me to believe.

coolwhip

Noob
KL is of course top 3 in this game. His mobility is godlike. Pretty much the best all-rounder. Thing is that everybody learned the KL matchup for his char, because of how overused KL is. On the other half, I do believe KL has some not so nice matchups, as well as some even ones.

Cage bodies KL IMO. Just look at Dizzy vs PL, who is still one of the best KLs out there.

Kung Lao doesn't get "bodied" by any character. He loses to Cage IMO but it's still close. And yeah, I looked at Dizzy PL, the total score was 7-5 Dizzy, which is actually an indication of the fact that the match-up is quite close.

Also I know you probably didn't intend it to be this way, but PL "is still one of the best KL out there"? He's the best, by a country mile.

Owerbart

I miss you
Kung Lao doesn't get "bodied" by any character. He loses to Cage IMO but it's still close. And yeah, I looked at Dizzy PL, the total score was 7-5 Dizzy, which is actually an indication of the fact that the match-up is quite close.

Also I know you probably didn't intend it to be this way, but PL "is still one of the best KL out there"? He's the best, by a country mile.
My bad, he doesn't get bodied, but Cage has the upperhand over him. And a couple of months ago I would have said the same as you, that PL is the best KL. But now I'm not so sure. McFly, REO and other ones may have taken his place.

coolwhip

Noob
My bad, he doesn't get bodied, but Cage has the upperhand over him. And a couple of months ago I would have said the same as you, that PL is the best KL. But now I'm not so sure. McFly, REO and other ones may take their place.
I'm honestly not being a dick but I'm seriously curious as to in what way can REO take his place when he gave up on playing Kung Lao (yeah I know he used it in an exhibition at MLG..and lost), or McFly who despite being very good, is mainly known for impractical combos?

Owerbart

I miss you
I'm honestly not being a dick but I'm seriously curious as to in what way can REO take his place when he gave up on playing Kung Lao (yeah I know he used it in an exhibition at MLG..and lost), or McFly who despite being very good, is mainly known for impractical combos?
McFly's combo vids are just for showcase. And don't forget REO granted us the latest KL BnB. But still, it's a tough call. Maybe PL is still the best KL.

I hate you because the real point of my original post was to express how cool Ermac against KL is.

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
Nonsense.

He has no bad matches, only 5-5's and tough 5-5's at that.

And here is why, every character has a solid 5-5 and it is the mirror match, so when determining what a ''bad match'' is, you have to compare the fight to the mirror match, and it will always be a 5-5 because your strengths are taken away or limited and you cannot abuse what you normally can against certain characters, your meter build is equal, your damage and punishment options are equal also.

So take the KL mirror match into consideration when asking what a bad match is, KL cannot do random teleports, he cannot randomly dive kick, he is fighting against a low hit box and at some point he will have to spin to beat the opponent out of fp pressure or guessing the bp is coming.

Now, there is no character in the game, that can make a match worse for him than his mirror, infact in some of his other 5-5 matches, he can still afford to teleport like fuck and get spicy with fp pressure, and even abuse something as silly as low hats against 12 frame mid characters that are supposed to be ''bad matches'' like Mileena for example, there is no one in the game that makes something unwinnable for him or takes anything away from him more than his mirror, so I honestly can't understand where people are getting his worse matches from.
Dude, your forgetting that Kabal beats KL. He can stop everything that KL has just as good as the other KL in a mirror match could.

EX dash beats every single option out of a teleport no matter what, EX dash beats every option out of EX teleport except whiff grab for armor.
Kabal almost always has meter. If his IAGB are fast enough and close enough to the ground, he can just zone KL out and EX dash any attemt of teleporting or divekicking in. If both players play the match perfectly, I still think Kabal would win every single match. Kabal doesn't do bad upclose vs KL either, although KL has a low hitbox he can still do some NDC pressurel. The main thing is KL can be zoned. I do agree with you that KL has really no bad matchups, he only has Kabal for sure and possibly Cage, maybe others.