What's new

PL says "KL NOT IN TOP TEN"

REO

Undead
smoke has one of the best pokes in the game, so these pokes will interrupt hit pressure standing 1 and 2. kung lao has to spin on read to blow those pokes up. and the risk reward is heavily in smokes favor.
Yeah, those factor in as well. PL has his good reasons as to why Kung Lao is truly a mid tier character. I also heard KL has match-ups that are difficult that not many realize like Ermac and Freddy.

Yeah, those factor in as well. PL has his good reasons as to why Kung Lao is truly a mid tier character. I also heard KL has match-ups that are difficult that not many realize like Ermac and Freddy.
I dont really agree about freddy, but ermac definitely gives kung lao trouble, its not a losing matchup though, ermac cant punish a lot of stuff kung lao does.

This. It's hard to believe but it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on where he stands and why.

REO

Undead
This. It's hard to believe but it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on where he stands and why.
I agree with PL - Kung Lao is a mid tier character with a lot of bad matches. The only reason the character was ever considered "high tier" was because of PL's talent behind the character.

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
I dont really agree about freddy, but ermac definitely gives kung lao trouble, its not a losing matchup though, ermac cant punish a lot of stuff kung lao does.
Freddy MU can be a bitch.

I have played FCP/EMP SCAR's Freddy (IMO, the most complete Freddy player) and that dreaded Nightmare Stance takes away KL's offense.

His teleport also gives him enough mobility to hinder KL's mobility.

coolwhip

Noob
Perfect Legend was telling me the Smoke match-up is 5-5 and not a 7-3 over the weekend. I'm guessing he played Gross' Smoke or something. Many of you may need to step up your Smoke game.
PL was saying that at Season's Beatings as well...seconds before he bodied Wafflez. I respect the opinions of top players and all but I have a hard time wrapping my head around Kung Lao/Smoke being 5-5.

coolwhip

Noob
smoke has one of the best pokes in the game, so these pokes will interrupt hit pressure standing 1 and 2. kung lao has to spin on read to blow those pokes up. and the risk reward is heavily in smokes favor.
The Smoke player really needs to be on point with the tele 3 punishes as Smoke's high hitbox means Kung Lao can jump around and teleport like a mad man. Also, Kung Lao punishes Smoke bomb better than any other character in the game. This match up is easily in Lao's favor.

Let's be serious here. KL is top 10. The "footsies KL" talking point needs to go away too. The Carl frantic KL jumping around like an idiot KL is the best KL. let's stop pretending otherwise. No one's doing anything with footsies KL. I don't even think people saying it know what they're talking about.
jumping around kl make it easy for vegas bruh :), just saying.

also just and FYI for those who might not know, i beat him with liu, and liu has a juicy ass hitbox. Also lao beat liu 6 4, so Idk why he said lao not top 10 because of low hitbox chars because i beat him with liu lmao and his hitbox is huge. Also lao is top 5, but definitely not top 2. There are many ways to shut down what lao wants to do, I'm undefeated vs lao in tournaments, there is a reason for this. Denzell and Dab have beat PL as well for the simple fact that we have the formula for cracking lao. If you want to know dat formula, just hmu with a PM, I'll gladly explain. Also, PL will definitely get back from this, I'm sure he'll do well at his next major.

coolwhip

Noob
jumping around kl make it easy for vegas bruh :), just saying.
True, but that's Kung Lao. Some of his stuff are risky. We can argue for "footsies KL" but what has he ever done in tournament? Crazy ass jumping around Kung Lao won Evo.

For the most part, I think you beating PL with Liu Kang says more about you as a player, rather than how Kung Lao should not be played (especially since Liu Kang is a high hitbox character, so in theory, Kung Lao should be able to play his game).

True, but that's Kung Lao. Some of his stuff are risky. We can argue for "footsies KL" but what has he ever done in tournament? Crazy ass jumping around Kung Lao won Evo.

For the most part, I think you beating PL with Liu Kang says more about you as a player, rather than how Kung Lao should not be played (especially since Liu Kang is a high hitbox character, so in theory, Kung Lao should be able to play his game).
true dat, but I will keep saying that a lao that is more footsies based will be more consistent imo. I know he won evo, but that shouldn't mean that style is the way to go. No one should just sit on how they play and expect that to always work. I, and I'm sure other players, are always looking for ways to improve our play with a character because no playstyle is perfect. When he realizes that, I think he'll add on the necessary things to his game to show off alot more of what KL can do.

This thread is dumb and should be deleted, Only a handful of posts in this 14 page thread make any sense at all
-
LBSH, if you haven't played a Top Lao (Pboard, PL, Reo ect) then you don't know what you are talking about.
People saying he's top 2 are:
A) Terrible players / online players
B) Have no idea what a MU chart is or how MUs work

For the record, he is obviously top 10

The indisputable top 2 are Kabal and Kenshi. Then we have Sonya, Cyrax, Freddy, Smoke, Lao at a comparable level. Anything past that is pure speculation
smoke and cyrax are not comparable to lao sonya and freddy at all, cyrax and smoke have quite a few bad matchups imo

Smoke's damage is an important factor on why it's 5-5 with KL. With a character that is taking risks 24/7 like Kung Lao, one wrong teleport, dive kick, or spin can result in death combos for the round.
please explain why kung lao has to take risks against a character that does 0 chip? also doesnt smoke have slow normals, so can't kl spend his time blowing up pokes on hit with 21 and spin (outside of d4). I think kl has an advantage defensively, and smoke bomb is extremely risky int his matchup which nullifies smokes spacing and zoning. PL is an amazing player, he knows how to abuse players int he mindgame standpoint, however i feel he often overaggresses with lao, i feel like he did this vs dizzy in the tournament he lost.

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
Let's be serious here. KL is top 10. The "footsies KL" talking point needs to go away too. The Carl frantic KL jumping around like an idiot KL is the best KL. let's stop pretending otherwise. No one's doing anything with footsies KL. I don't even think people saying it know what they're talking about.
I usually play a more patient footsie KL, does that mean I should start teleporting alot more now and play all over the screen like a maniac as well?

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
Perfect Legend was telling me the Smoke match-up is 5-5 and not a 7-3 over the weekend. I'm guessing he played Gross' Smoke or something. Many of you may need to step up your Smoke game.
He has been saying this since Season's Beating, so I doubt Gross has anything to do with it.

Smoke's damage is an important factor on why it's 5-5 with KL. With a character that is taking risks 24/7 like Kung Lao, one wrong teleport, dive kick, or spin can result in death combos for the round.
That's part of the reason I've always believed that MU is 6-4 in Lao's favor, not 7-3. Online, yeah...

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
smoke and cyrax are not comparable to lao sonya and freddy at all, cyrax and smoke have quite a few bad matchups imo
Cyrax is the most dangerous character in the game with just 1 bar. Straight up. The fact that he can switch a match around just like that reduces a lot of issues off of his matchups. There are certain things characters can get away with anyone else, but cannot with Cyrax. Or Smoke for that matter.

LBSH, having absurd damage is a big deal when you have access to it on a bunch of options. Matchups that are disadvantage for both of these characters become even or maybe in their favor due to this, especially for Cyrax because of how efficient his damage is in comparison to Smoke. The only time these two actually lose hard is when the opposing character has the right set of stuff that damage can't even help you.

ShanxterX

@shanxterx follow me hoes
KL can blow Sonya up, in a similar fashion to Jax (obviously not as brutally though), you just either gotta be full screen or point blank.

Take away her D4 and you've eliminated a majority of her offense and defense.
I dont agree... I would love for u to play Showtime ' s Sonya and he ll show u why that match up is bad for Lao . There isn't a top Lao he has not 3_0ed

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
I dont agree... I would love for u to play Showtime ' s Sonya and he ll show u why that match up is bad for Lao . There isn't a top Lao he has not 3_0ed
It doesnt matter, this game can only go so far in terms of what you can do in a matchup. KL will never not be able to interupt her strings, she will never not be able to punish just as hard etc.

I know how these characters are played, I have been a major contributor to how both characters are played. As well as Rain/Cage

true dat, but I will keep saying that a lao that is more footsies based will be more consistent imo. I know he won evo, but that shouldn't mean that style is the way to go. No one should just sit on how they play and expect that to always work. I, and I'm sure other players, are always looking for ways to improve our play with a character because no playstyle is perfect. When he realizes that, I think he'll add on the necessary things to his game to show off alot more of what KL can do.
Kung lao should be played more footsie based imo yes. but you shouldnt play footsies the whole match because kung lao can be very momentum based so if you suddenly go PL mode you will surprise your opponent.

Also Pl is the best kung lao player, footsies kung lao is very important especially against the harder matchups, but Pl is the only kung lao player who is able to use that mobility to that extend.

Kung lao should be played more footsie based imo yes. but you shouldnt play footsies the whole match because kung lao can be very momentum based so if you suddenly go PL mode you will surprise your opponent.

Also Pl is the best kung lao player, footsies kung lao is very important especially against the harder matchups, but Pl is the only kung lao player who is able to use that mobility to that extend.
all i got to say is that random teles and spins don't work on vegas crew haha. Most laos go to this style, which is why I have no issues with laos and am undefeated vs laos in tournaments. When i play vegas crew laos, they are alot more difficult to beat bcuz they utilize lao's superb footsies.

SaJa

FH_FenriR
When I read this thread, KL looks like fucking shitty lol.

So, one more time, KL isn't top 10 !!!! He is top 2 (unless until he gets a cap instead of his hat) !