What's new

Ping and Connectivity Issues Since Update

Every fight I've had since the patch has had the connectivity flashes between rounds, ranked or casual.
I thought that was odd as well. Noticing it more and more now. Even on players that i've had good games with previously. Something definitely got broke.

Also anyone notice they changed the UI on the match found screen, and now there's this big empty space and the W/L text part looks all misaligned?
Yeah. Some of the UI changes are nice - after match screen with the win/loss and timer. But that match found seems like a screw up. Was nice before as you could look directly across and compare W/L win%, now you have to jump from left to right to compare stats. It's small thing, but a stupid change for no gain.

Ayx

Omnipresent
This has been driving me crazy the past few days. I called my ISP (since I've had a history w/ them) claiming their net is crapping out again. However they tell me that my area has been fine for a while now. I tried running multiple ping tests to determine packet losses etc. and everything actually seemed fine. Yet post-patch online has been the equivalent of gambling when it comes to consistent smooth games. At times even a small packet loss will send the game into a stutter fest for about 5-10 seconds. When they do a fatality or fatal blow, it seems the netcode just craps out making some fatalities last forever because you get the equivalent of an EDM concert w/ how many times the orange/red plug pull symbol comes out.

Yes we got faster loading times for single player... but at this cost? They need to revert it back before trying to implement more changes like this.

Acknowledgement about performance issues from the last patch, at least for the PC version of the game.

Post on the Steam forums:

Hello all,
We are aware of the performance issues that began after the last patch. We are currently working on a resolution for the slowdowns and hope to have an update soon. Thank you for your patience.

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
I have only been on once since the patch and it KEPT on trying to match me against the same two guys, it was annoying as Hel. It was as if i was trying to play Injustice 1 right now.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
Just in case somebody from NRS is reading this I want to pop in and say I have had this issue as well. Ever since the patch I have had random huge lag spikes with people the game said I should have a clean connection with. Like 85 PING on the menu, then in the middle of the match it leaps to like 300+. So yeah, idk what happened but the online does seem to have gotten worse.

Also I saw this happen on @Eldriken's stream the other night as well, it was insane.

gitblame

Noob
It's definetly weird. When I play ranked or kasuals vs random oponnents it definetly has gone worse since patch. I thought it was my own connection, then tested it vs friends and it was still fine. But I have connection spike icon indicator during cinematics even vs them. I hope they are aware and they will fix it fast, because experience is definetly worse.

Inzzane_79

Every time someone farts, a demon gets his wings
Same here. I also noticed even more sound problems while Fatal blows or Fatalities are performed than before (music cuts off completely, some sound effects missing, stutter in voicelines/screams)

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
At first I honestly thought there was something wrong with my controller because it felt like everything was extra “heavy” and all my inputs were coming out wrong.

I’ve also noticed a big increase in the amount of lag and the spikes o previously fine connections so there’s that :(.

I’m glad it seems to be a game issue so hopefully it can be addressed.

Rozalin1780

Good? Bad? I'm the one with the fans
Same here. I also noticed even more sound problems while Fatal blows or Fatalities are performed than before (music cuts off completely, some sound effects missing, stutter in voicelines/screams)
I’ve noticed the sound issues offline even while doing gauntlet towers. Fatalities would go mute aside from “impact” sound effects and the announcer.

After the most recent patch dropped, I immediately noticed a difference online. It was consistently worse than it had been. And the issue still persists.

For instance, before I play someone, it will say the ping is anywhere between 30-70. Which is perfectly fine. The problem is, once the match starts, it stays above 100 ping.

There seems to be more button delay, and lag than before. And this is pretty consistent. The SAME exact players where I was getting a consistent 50 ping the entire match, is now around 100. There’s even random HUGE lag spikes somehow when both players are wired. None of this happened to me before the update.

Many others seem to be experiencing the same problem. Do any of you notice a difference? Also, what could be causing this? I know nothing about programming or anything related to what the problem could be, so if someone knows or has an idea, post it up.
I've had exactly the same experiences since the update. You're on Xbox One X right? I have the PS4 version installed on a Pro so it seems the issues are present on all platforms. I've barely had any laggy matches before the update but after the patch I had two 'game session not available' disconnects during very even matches (so I don't think any of those were rage quits) and huge like spikes where we were basically paused and it took seconds until we could move again. Yesterday's games were mostly fine though.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I've had exactly the same experiences since the update. You're on Xbox One X right? I have the PS4 version installed on a Pro so it seems the issues are present on all platforms. I've barely had any laggy matches before the update but after the patch I had two 'game session not available' disconnects during very even matches (so I don't think any of those were rage quits) and huge like spikes where we were basically paused and it took seconds until we could move again. Yesterday's games were mostly fine though.
I’m on just a regular XB1, actually. But yeah, these issues only started after the patch. Like I said, I noticed it immediately. Even made a status about it

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Can someone clarify if this feels more like input delay and slowness rather than pingspikes and higher general ping as well?

My scene is kind of intolerant to online, anything about 80ms really, while I'll play anything up to 130. Since yesterday's ranked session I've been noticing I can't interrupt staggers at all even if I know they're coming. Usually I try to interrupt and then get thrown with escape failed.

Was wondering if I was just now noticing how bad 100+ ms is or something legit happened.
I noticed this when I got hit a couple times trying to anti-air.. It was like the button had barely began its startup when I was already being hit. Which is weird, since I’ve been pretty consistently AA’ing.

I assumed it was the other person’s connection, but now I see that it may have been a wider issue.

GothamInGray

Hanzo Main
I noticed the triangle popping up while I was playing last night, but I didn't actually get much lag? It seemed more like the game thought there was some rather than actually experiencing any.

Rizz091

Noob
Sameee. Was getting random server disconnects in tot and online is now a horror show. If it's against wifi, unplayable. Against wired, ping is always over 100 with red connection bar flashing. Not really worth playing online atm.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I tested this yesterday, I even thought to myself it couldn't be that bad since last week it seemed fine (but I only played KOTH matches at that point). I played 4 different people, multiple games each and everyone had very good pings and almost full bars. All the matches were extremely laggy and trying to land a combo was like trying to run on ice. That was on PS4.

I played a few games on PC, and the exact same thing happened. The stutter was pretty intense even if we both had wired connections.

Hi all,

I posted the following bug list in the PC thread, but I know many of you are on console.

I'm curious: those of you on consoles, can you point out which of the following bugs you're experiencing as well? I'm interested in seeing which are platform specific versus game specific. I thought the Fatality music cutting out was PC only, but apparently not!

Major

- Frame rate performance and drops introduced in gameplay. With the 05/31 patch, my game's frame rate in actual gameplay, according to the first Benchmark I ran after the patch install, dropped down to about 25 FPS average. A second run of the Benchmark shortly thereafter registered 45 FPS average. An immediate third run of the Benchmark registered 59 -60 FPS average. My Benchmark may remain at 59-60 FPS average on the game’s next boot up, or may drop back to about 25 FPS average requiring several runs of the Benchmark to resolve. While playing at the very start of a match, there might be some frame rate hiccups, though they're generally minor and have had limited impact on gameplay. They seem to resolve themselves in a few seconds (though they might take longer). There is no pattern to this that I can see, and it appears to be random.

- UPDATED: My regular Krypt crash-to-desktops may have been resolved with the 05/31 patch! I just spent about thirty minutes running around the Krypt without a single crash. I went all over the island, took the odd elevator, and even used "Esc" on my Keyboard to exit the Kollector's Store (which used to guarantee a crash) and no crash! Since I want to play/test more before confirming, I'll leave this bug listed for now.

Original bug note as follows: Krypt regularly crashing to desktop. This was introduced with the 05/24 patch, and it does not seem to matter if it's at 30 FPS or 60 FPS. After the fourth crash, I verified my game's file integrity via the Steam Client, and I've been able to run around the Krypt for more than five minutes without a crash, so this may have solved the issue, but I need to test further.

Minor

- Frame rate hiccups introduced in the Krypt. With the 05/31 patch, I've noticed some a large number of frame rate drops occurring in the Krypt. These appear to be random, as I've not noticed a pattern and have not been able to reproduce on demand. Since they don't affect my ability to playthrough the Krypt, and since frame drops are preferable to crash-to-desktops, I'm listing this as a "minor" and not a "major" bug. Note I'm playing with "Krypt 60 FPS Mode" Off.

- In Character Intros, at 60 FPS, the first character to speak will not move their mouth. This occurs 100% of the time, and is a bug introduced with the 05/24 patch. On rare occasions, further dialogue will appear slightly out-of-sync. Note this bug only affects characters with lips. Characters like Baraka are unaffected and will always move their mouth.

- On occasion, I'll see white or green artifacts pop up for a frame or so on-screen. This only occurs in a match, not menus, and the frequency seems to have increased with the 05/24 patch. I have not been able to reproduce on-demand, but I've been noticing it occurs more in Goro's Lair.

- Every so often, the Fatality music will not play when a Fatality is initiated. This seems to occur on any stage, and will also occur sometimes if the AI performs a Fatality.

- On rare occasions, the Stage music seems to cut out completely on the Prehistoric Stage. I have not had this occur on any other background, including the other Hourglass ones.

- On very rare occasions, the Brutality music will not play, and your character will not say their verbal taunt after finishing a Brutality, despite doing their talking animation. This bug may have been caused by the 05/31 patch, as I have not experienced it prior and I've performed hundreds of Brutalities.

Nuisance/Quality of Life

- In order to skip watching intros, I now need to press "Y" as opposed to "A." This was a common thing in the previous two Mortal Kombat games, either on PC or console, as I remap my face buttons to 2,3,1,4. Since "3" is now mapped to "Y," I now have to press this button to skip intros. Ironically while in previous games, this bug was not a thing in Mortal Kombat 11 until the 05/24 patch.

- The game's default master volume is extremely low.

My system specs are:
  • Intel Core i5 4440 @ 3.10 Ghz
  • 16 GB Ram
  • nVidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti OC Windforce 6G with the 430.86 Drivers
  • 1 TB HDD
  • Windows 10 Home October 2018 Update
  • Hori Fighting Commander for Xbox One
  • Logitech K120 Keyboard and Mouse
Note I use my Controller to play normally, save for the Krypt where I use the Mouse/Keyboard since the Fighting Commander doesn't have sticks. I also need to awkwardly use the Keyboard to use Konsumables in Towers.