What's new

Petition to let custom variation in competitive play MK11

Agilaz

It has begun
I hope there's a way to do customs in tournaments. Going by K&M's recent Scorpion video, it looks like there are indeed moves that are "left over", so not part of premade variations.

This kinda brings up the same issue with I2's gear moves, in the sense we'll almost never get to see/use them.

That said, the list of available moves seems much much shorter this time, and the moves don't seem terribly gimmicky or grimey - they're no cat projectile, for example. I don't think it would be too difficult to balance them.

Counterpicking is a non-issue. It will never be as bad as it was in I2. At worst it will be like backing out to char select to pick a new variation like in MKX.

Mind Flex

Mind Gamer. BOOSH
This is almost the same argument as letting winning players swap variation after winning a match in tournament. It would be super hype, but ultimately unfair for the actual players in the tournament. Each single change creates a completely new character with new set ups and options. Every top player would need to grind every match up with every possible customization.

It might be better to add a "seasonal" 4th variation along with the base ones that rotates its build using other special moves that appears for everyone. This could keep the meta fresh while also making the grind reasonable.

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
They could make it a sub menu in the character selection screen to streamline it. It wouldnt be that different from when Smash players have to make their Mii characters or set their controls in another menu

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
Thanks to those who actually read and understood what the petition is about. For the rest, one more time: the petition is about NRS making custom variation as a possible option for competitive play, since they want to not let it be possible in general, not about making it standard. The community, TO, or anyone could then decide if they use customs ir presets in tournaments. It's about the possibility, not mandatory.

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
haven't read the whole thread but I really hope they let you change it, along with your buttons, at the character select screen

every custom variation doesn't need a new name or symbol, just let it be temporary, it ceases to exist once the character is switched

also if the name thing is a sticking point then they should be generated based on the specials picked

Rearawt

Noob
No, but they're thinking of restricting it from competitive play somehow.
What, specifically, are you worried that they will do to that end?

I don't understand the form of restrictions you're worried about. Custom variations will still be there, the option to use them in vs mode will always be there, the absolute worst they could do is say only presets are valid for pro-league matches. Is that what the problem is?

NothingPersonal

What, specifically, are you worried that they will do to that end?

I don't understand the form of restrictions you're worried about. Custom variations will still be there, the option to use them in vs mode will always be there, the absolute worst they could do is say only presets are valid for pro-league matches. Is that what the problem is?
I'm not worried about what they can say, but what they can do. Maximillian said speciffically the devs think of restricting it somehow. Don't know how, but it's what he said.

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
I'm not worried about what they can say, but what they can do. Maximillian said speciffically the devs think of restricting it somehow. Don't know how, but it's what he said.
Do you have a timestamp because I would like to see the context of this. I can't fathom how they could possibly stop TOs from implementing this feature in the game if they wanted to.

Xelz

Go over there!
You might be reading too much into Max's statement. While it's possible they're considering some coded restriction, it's more likely they'll limit custom variations the same way they did in I2: Not available in online ranked play, and not allowed per tournament rules in Pro League (but still available if another tournament wanted to allow them). Is your petition to allow for the same availability of custom move sets as in I2? Or to change the Pro League rules? Because if it's the former, then the devs are probably already planning what you're asking for.

Rearawt

Noob
So you're very worried about something, but you have no idea what it is or how it would look or what a fix would be..? Talk about pointless.

Stop taking Max's words as gospel, he doesn't know shit either

NothingPersonal

You might be reading too much into Max's statement. While it's possible they're considering some coded restriction, it's more likely they'll limit custom variations the same way they did in I2: Not available in online ranked play, and not allowed per tournament rules in Pro League (but still available if another tournament wanted to allow them). Is your petition to allow for the same availability of custom move sets as in I2? Or to change the Pro League rules? Because if it's the former, then the devs are probably already planning what you're asking for.
Essentially allowed for ranked or any other mode in the game.

NothingPersonal

So you're very worried about something, but you have no idea what it is or how it would look or what a fix would be..? Talk about pointless.

Stop taking Max's words as gospel, he doesn't know shit either
I have an idea what it is - limiting custom variations for competitive play. Not taking his word for it, but if he says he spoke to the devs about it I'll believe it. He's a credible guy. Anyway, relese day will show, but it'd be a pity if that happened.

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
Listen what maximillian says about this. Starts at 7:30.
@Shark Tank
I watched until 8:10 and I'm not seeing anything on how NRS would actually restrict this outside of enforcing tournament rules. He's just talking about how NRS wants pre-set variations and I already have seen this part.

Again if TOs actually want to allow custom variations if they find it better than pre-sets what would stop them aside from maybe losing endorsement from NRS?

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Every tournament match sitting through players building their custom character, deciding on special moves, button checks... nooooooo

NothingPersonal

Every tournament match sitting through players building their custom character, deciding on special moves, button checks... nooooooo
I'm pretty sure everyone's going to have one custom variation they like the best and onother as a back up. I don't think it's that big of a problem. And button checks as they were during MK9 era are long gone.

Xelz

Go over there!
Essentially allowed for ranked or any other mode in the game.
Thanks, that definitely helps clarify things. I foresee a lot of balance problems (for all the reasons I mentioned earlier) with allowing custom move sets in online ranked, especially since some official tournaments pulled in players from online and I wouldn't be surprised to see NRS do that again with MK11. And extreme balance issues in ranked could quickly drive away online players who will never return.

So I'm very much against allowing custom variations in online ranked at launch, but I'd be open to their implementation when and if custom variations are proven to be relatively balanced after launch.

Rearawt

Noob
limiting custom variations for competitive play
But what does that mean? Concretely, what are you afraid that NRS will do to "limit custom variations for competitive play"? Remove them from the game? What?

Not taking his word for it, but if he says he spoke to the devs about it I'll believe it.
That's literally the definition of "taking his word for it".

He doesn't even say he spoke to the devs, he's just repeating whatever half-remembered info he read from that interview where Boon talks about fixed variations for pro-league.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I agree with him honestly. Makes no sense to have custom variations as "the new big thing" if you don't show them on the big screen.
99% of Moral Kombat players are casual, so this will indeed be a very big new thing for the overwhelming majority of people who buy and play this game.

I think Max is drastically downplaying the difficulty of balancing this as well. One of the things we saw very clearly in MKX is that variations are almost impossible to completely isolate from each other. Changing something to tone down one variation can have drastic effects on the others, etc. And that was with 3 variations.. Now imagine that with the 80 variations you could make when you have a a ton of special moves and strings to mix and match. It's a huge issue.

NothingPersonal

Thanks, that definitely helps clarify things. I foresee a lot of balance problems (for all the reasons I mentioned earlier) with allowing custom move sets in online ranked, especially since some official tournaments pulled in players from online and I wouldn't be surprised to see NRS do that again with MK11. And extreme balance issues in ranked could quickly drive away online players who will never return.
If the tournament standard becomes to be preset variations, noone who wants to compete will practice any customs. It resolves itself.

So I'm very much against allowing custom variations in online ranked at launch, but I'd be open to their implementation when and if custom variations are proven to be relatively balanced after launch.
This is exactly what I'm trying to prevent. If they restrict customs ingame somehow, they could not be available if they turn out balanced.