What's new

Petition to let custom variation in competitive play MK11

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
99% of Moral Kombat players are casual, so this will indeed be a very big new thing for the overwhelming majority of people who buy and play this game.

I think Max is drastically downplaying the difficulty of balancing this as well. One of the things we saw very clearly in MKX is that variations are almost impossible to completely isolate from each other. Changing something to tone down one variation can have drastic effects on the others, etc. And that was with 3 variations.. Now imagine that with the 80 variations you could make when you have a a ton of special moves and strings to mix and match. It's a huge issue.
You shouldn't look at them as variations, look at them as moves. Now we have like 8-10 of them, and you also have the possibility to make them cost more or less slots.

To be honest I think it's easier to balance than variations.

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
But what does that mean? Concretely, what are you afraid that NRS will do to "limit custom variations for competitive play"? Remove them from the game? What?

That's literally the definition of "taking his word for it".

He doesn't even say he spoke to the devs, he's just repeating whatever half-remembered info he read from that interview where Boon talks about fixed variations for pro-league.
I don't know man, we can only speculate. But I'll take a guess. Let's say they make a some kind of a tournament mode where besides things like augments selection of custom variations is also disabled. How will you play them if they turn out viable?

NothingPersonal

You shouldn't look at them as variations, look at them as moves. Now we have like 8-10 of them, and you also have the possibility to make them cost more or less slots.

To be honest I think it's easier to balance than variations.
It's not even 10. I think they said somewhere no more than 8.

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
I don't know man, we can only speculate. But I'll take a guess. Let's say they make a some kind of a tournament mode where besides things like augments selection of custom variations is also disabled. How will you play them if they turn out viable?
Play in normal mode and not tournament mode...?????

???????

You need to think about this a tad more man. Do you think Ed Boon will secretly sabotage every tournament that doesn't use static variations by cuting all the wires or something while foaming at the mouth and biting passerbys?

NothingPersonal

Play in normal mode and not tournament mode...?????

???????

You need to think about this a tad more man. Do you think Ed Boon will secretly sabotage every tournament that doesn't use static variations by cuting all the wires or something while foaming at the mouth and biting passerbys?
Normal mode would have augments too. I'm not saying anything what Boon will do, I don't know what he wants. All I know is they are talking about it and I think it's a bad idea.

Rearawt

Noob
Custom variations will still be available in normal player vs player, so you just turn off tournament mode and go to vs

Shark Tank

Normal mode would have augments too. I'm not saying anything what Boon will do, I don't know what he wants. All I know is they are talking about it and I think it's a bad idea.
This is starting to sound like a lot of work to try and design or obfuscate people from using custom variations that gains NRS nothing when they can just let..people play how they want and let TOs do what they want.

NothingPersonal

Custom variations will still be available in normal player vs player, so you just turn off tournament mode and go to vs
And if the pvp has other stuff activated other than the possibility to play customs? I'm just saying if they do some mode specifically for tournaments, for easiness purposes and whatever, and the customs are not available, than it's a mistake.

NothingPersonal

This is starting to sound like a lot of work to try and design or obfuscate people from using custom variations that gains NRS nothing when they can just let..people play how they want and let TOs do what they want.
We don't know. All we know is they're talking about it. And it's a mistake imo. The easiest way is to let them available with presets. If customs turn pout broken, just ban them from tournament play. That is all. No need for complex ingame options and whatnot. I don't see a reason to restrict them in any way.

Xelz

Go over there!
This is exactly what I'm trying to prevent. If they restrict customs ingame somehow, they could not be available if they turn out balanced.
It doesn't sound like NRS plans to do that, I think that's what some of the other posters are trying to explain. There's currently no evidence that NRS intends to restrict custom move sets beyond what they did in I2. It sounds like this is a game of telephone, where someone heard Max say something about something someone heard someone else say until the final interpretation is way off base.

In short, other than allowing custom variations in ranked play, it sounds like NRS already plans to accommodate what you've asked for: the option for tournaments to enable custom variations if tournament organizers want to.

So if what you really want is custom moves to be allowed to the same extent they were in I2, then I support that, and I'd add they should be unlocked from the start and not tied to gear drops (which seems likely based on previews thus far).

Rearawt

Noob
To be fair, Ketchup and Mustard shares the same sentiment.
The sentiment that NRS should spend the time balancing moves instead of pre-set variations, to allow them in pro-league and all that. I don't think they share the same panic about a nebulous removal of custom variations from the game.

OP literally just wants the ability to play vs mode with custom variations.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
Well, shit...
I mean that they also think customised variations should be available for competitive play.

The sentiment that NRS should spend the time balancing moves instead of pre-set variations, to allow them in pro-league and all that. I don't think they share the same panic about a nebulous removal of custom variations from the game.
Yes, this, sorry for not being more clear about that.

NothingPersonal

It doesn't sound like NRS plans to do that, I think that's what some of the other posters are trying to explain. There's currently no evidence that NRS intends to restrict custom move sets beyond what they did in I2. It sounds like this is a game of telephone, where someone heard Max say something about something someone heard someone else say until the final interpretation is way off base.

In short, other than allowing custom variations in ranked play, it sounds like NRS already plans to accommodate what you've asked for: the option for tournaments to enable custom variations if tournament organizers want to.

So if what you really want is custom moves to be allowed to the same extent they were in I2, then I support that, and I'd add they should be unlocked from the start and not tied to gear drops (which seems likely based on previews thus far).
They will be unlocked from the start, it's confirmed.
I really hope you're right and they are not restricted in any way in the game.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I'd be open to the idea, but I think balance issues and logistics makes it unlikely to work well in a competative setting.

Mind Flex

Mind Gamer. BOOSH
I'm fine with Online Ranked letting you use custom variations as long as the loading screen shows the players what the loadout is. Most players will be casuals so im fine with this being the default. If this was the case then there will be another option for "competitive mode" that can be turned on.

I don't think custom should be allowed in pro league or money tournaments (unless its a local where everyone agrees) because then too many games would be stolen because they didn't study an obscure match up. That's not high level play anymore.

The game is still going to have the option to use custom variations so you will always have the option to use it in locals if you want. It's just unlikely that you will ever see it at a major due to the money, time, and effort of the players that actually show up to those things.

Shark Tank

Can't this be worked on later when they are tried out first?
People can try it in locals or unofficials and see how much of a shit show it is or isn't(it will be). If people want to have day 1 tournaments with this you have far too much optimism in NRS's QA. I wouldn't be surprised to see shit 3x as dumb as day 1 injustice Superman. Then of course when it's not balanced at all we continue the cycle of constant patches that turns off everyone from the game when NRS are scrambling to fix this shit and lo and behold games are dead again completing the NRS cycle.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Can't this be worked on later when they are tried out first?
If they're going to be doing a tournament series, then I think it's better they do the first "season" without custom variations. That would make it easier to keep a consistent set of rules.