What's new

Petition to let custom variation in competitive play MK11

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
Maximilian says the devs told him they would make 3 variotions of their choice for competitive play. I strongly disagree with this. They can make two if they want to and let one slot for the player to customize. The community will then figure out on its own which one is better for competitive play. This needs to be petitioned before the game is out, or after it's out to be patched out. It's one of the most interesting and hype thing for competitve play and NRS is about to flush it.
Please sign this petition so NRS if you want custom varions in competitive play.

https://www.change.org/p/neatherrealm-studios-let-custom-varion-for-competitive-play-in-mk11-a1fcd29f-375e-46d3-b76b-16f5bbc80cb9?recruiter=56913215&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition&utm_term=6cc68afb66ca415186ea8233df0dba41

Sourse. Starts at 7:34.

Last edited:

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
Ultimately it will come down to the people running the tourneys. Even if the abilities were balanced, the people running the tourneys might not like the unpredictability of throwing in a bunch of other abilities. Plus they would need down time for each player to customize their Variation, and that probably wouldn't be easy to do. But hey, that's just opinion. I'll sign it.

NothingPersonal

Ultimately it will come down to the people running the tourneys. Even if the abilities were balanced, the people running the tourneys might not like the unpredictability of throwing in a bunch of other abilities. Plus they would need down time for each player to customize their Variation, and that probably wouldn't be easy to do. But hey, that's just opinion. I'll sign it.
I'm OK with whatever the tourney people decide. But the issue is NRS plans to not allow at all custom variations for tournaments.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
This would result in nothing but a balancing nightmare at the worst, and a stagnant character meta at the least.

They struggled to balance MKX with three set variations, they would not be able to handle this game if every single possible combination was free to slap together.

People will find the optimal movesets for each character in the first week and that’s all people will use in tourneys. Unless each move is selectable at the character select screen, in which case you would see the most horrendously busted counter picking in the history of fighting games.

This is a terrible idea.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
Reasons not to: Balance, player preparedness, and the fact that having each person reset this each time would take an eternity.

We could already almost fit a second damn tourney into the amount of time it takes NRS players to button check .

NothingPersonal

There is really nothing to lose to have a custom variation as a possibility for competitive play, which is what NES want to eliminate consciosly from the game. Preset variations will still be in the game.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
GOD NO. It would make balance practically impossible.
I don't think so, I'll quote myself from another thread:

@CG Nino I honestly don't think custom moves would be this hard to balance, if anything I think they'd be easier because one simple tool: the possibility to make a move cost more or less slots to equip.

You said there might be broken syngergies? True, but they can just make the best of those moves that provide synergy cost more slots, and it'll be impossible to have them both together.

Have variations set in stone on the other hand puts the developers in a place where they need to balance those together (like in MKX) while still keeping some sort of balance between the moves for the casual, and they can't modify slots requirements too much otherwise competitive variations would be impossible to actually create.

They only reason I'd understand for not making custom variations competitive is time wasted at tournaments choosing moves, but that can be solved with a clever UI and fixed rules by the tournament's side.

Lokheit

Noob
GOD NO. It would make balance practically impossible.
Balancing whole combinations is harder, this way if a move is too problematic you nerf it to the ground without affecting anything else (or make it 1 extra slot if a combo of moves is too strong so you can't combine them). With full variations you need to take and give in order to balance them without destroying the whole thing, so it's way harder.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
@NothingPersonal I agree on custom variations for competitive (obviously), but I don't understand why we'd need 2 fixed variation + a custom one. Can't we just have 3 or whatever number of fixed variations + a potentially unlimited number of custom variations slots like I think it was in the reveal build?

NothingPersonal

@NothingPersonal I agree on custom variations for competitive (obviously), but I don't understand why we'd need 2 fixed variation + a custom one. Can't we just have 3 or whatever number of fixed variations + a potentially unlimited number of custom variations slots like I think it was in the reveal build?
The thing is the devs want to make it so that you can'use custom variation competitively.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
I think the most important thing that "needs" to be addressed is that players should be able to pick their moves in the character select screen instead of going through menus. If you have to go through menus one at a time in order to customize a character, it doesn't matter what the devs intended or how it's balanced, it's just not gonna work due to time constraints.

Additionally, I would like to point out that the "balancing nightmare" excuse is very silly for 2 reasons. First, there are only 3 move slots and it's not like there are hundreds or dozens of optional moves. Secondly, the special moves take up 1-3 slots, thus limiting combinations of powerful moves. Obviously this is evidence that NRS has taken the balance of these into consideration and created contingencies.

In summation, the main obstacle for Custom Variations (in my opinion) is the inconvenience that comes with sifting through menus, one player at a time in order to set them.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Absolutely not, how are you supposed to know what moves your opponent is going to have in their custom variation
In Injustice 2, they show you a screen where you can see the opponents gear. If they just expand on that then people could get the info they need in just a loading screen.

They would also need a way to quickly select special moves through the menu so people wouldn't need to spend 5 minutes making loadouts and whatnot.

I think kustom variations could be a sick feature in competitive play in this game and I really hope they/we find a way to make it happen. The only questions are if they can balance it properly and if the people really want that or just the MKX style variation system.