What's new

Opinion: We Don't Need (and Don't Want) Guest Characters in a MK Game

sub_on_dubs

Online Scrub Lord
I actually agree with this, but the truth is a lot of casuals want guest characters in the game. Some guest characters actually make sense like Jason and such, but I would prefer all MK characters in the game. I hope there's only a few returning characters from MK 10 and the rest are from previous MK games. I was a bit disappointed with the roster in MK 10, but let's see what happens.

KCJ506

Noob
Guests are now pretty much inevitable for NRS game. So we might as well get used to it.

Right now I'm worried about the possibility of the next Injustice having around three MK characters. I mean, before the second one came out, I had already excepted the possibility of Sub-Zero being a guest. But I think they want overboard by putting Raiden in as well.

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
I cant say that I like the guest characters that have been in MK so far apart from Kratos. The horror movie characters are all lame. In saying that, they sell. NRS are in the business of making money, so it is a smart move to include the ones they did if they were profitable.

Guest characters do work. I bought Injustice 2 purely because of Raiden - if he wasn't in it, I wouldn't have bothered.

If they have to do guest characters in the future, it would be great if they could take them from video games / comic books instead. I think this is less jarring then having movie characters. I think things like the Geralt in Soul Calibur are great moves.

While I'd rather no guests, I think reworked versions of characters like Enchantress / Scarecrow (IJ), Voldo (SC), Akuma (SF), Auron (FFX), Lich King (WoW) would be great as they would be more likely to fit in to the aesthetic of MK.

Derwood1979

Professional Procrastinator
NRS does guest characters better than anyone else in the genre, period. That and it's $$$. The only one so far to me at least that was out in left field was Leatherface, they could have used Myers, Pinhead etc several other horror legends better than LF honestly but I have a feeling MK 11 will have Michael, given the success of Halloween recently and since NRS said they already said he'd fit in MK, would not surprise me if he's in MK 11 at some point.
Leatherface was a beta test for chainsaw mechanics to do Ash for MK11

MadPropz101

"I still got it...but not much of it"
I think guest characters are usually much cooler than most MK characters, so if you ask me I’d rather have all the DLC be guest characters.
If you want MK characters add them to the main roster.

XxSYNDROISxX

For the Shokan since Mk3
Other than the fact that almost every NRS game the best selling DLC was a guest character I'm glad you put a opinion in the title cuz that's pretty much what it is cuz it's not even close to a fact

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
I would take the return of any 3D character over a guest, but as everyone stated in this thread already, guests are on the way. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if NRS made the guests before even deciding the roster.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Us who dislike guest characters are a minority, really. The majority want to see them take over the roster.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I can understand some fans who may be concerned, however I don't think people want them to take over completely, I don't personally but at the same time I'm open to the idea of a few cool, guest characters who blend in perfectly in the MK Universe. I mean I think everyone has to admit that Alien and Predator in MK X were pretty sweet additions that were done a justice, lots of references, thought went into them you could tell.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
yeah... guests characters just weaken the game and the entire franchise. Look at capcom... every SGv announcement is hype as they are all legit SF characters and all have dir hard fans. Putting in something lame like Spawn or Alien might have a flash in the pan apeal.. but that player has not link to the next game. Their fandom is basically lost as the character they play is gone forever.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I agree that we don’t need any and I personally don’t want any this time. But it’s just gonna happen, no way around it. I didn’t like most of the guests in these games at all. However, I loved Predator and ended up maiming Sub-Zero in Injustice so I can’t say much. I think guests are okay as long as they are kept at a minimum and if they are actually cool and not just a generic slasher character. I like Micheal Myers a lot and I like the original Halloween and the new remake both quite a bit. But really? There’s so many characters with so many unique abilities, I just hope they don’t use Micheal, it would seem like such a waste. To me, Micheal was a good horror character because of what he represents, not necessarily who he is. He is pure evil manifested in a human form, I think he works better as a symbol for a slasher movie than a playable fighting game character. Jason I think worked better because he was always kinda cheesy and memey in his movies, but I think what makes Micheal cool wouldn’t really translate to a game

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I like guest characters. Gives the franchise a chance to try something new and keep things fresh without having to invent a new character whole cloth. As long as they find ways to make guest characters fun and interesting, I'll take a guest character over some C squad MK character any day.

I'm fine with guests, but I gotta agree with what someone said earlier, no more than 2 or 3 guests. MKX kind of went nuts with the guest thing. Honestly would be fine with Spawn and one other guest, maybe the Terminator.

And 2 MK fighters in IJ2 was a bit much, would have been fine with just the TMNT, Sub-Zero, and Hellboy.