What's new

Opinion: We Don't Need (and Don't Want) Guest Characters in a MK Game

Raider

Noob
Thread title says it all. We don't need guest DLC characters in MK11. NRS/WB might think that they are cool and that people care about them but the truth is that people don't care about them and that they are usually not cool and interesting enough to take place that can be taken by MK characters that fans are asking for years now.

It just doesn't make any sense to have boring guest characters compared to much more interesting MK characters. I want to play a MK game, not some Hollywood wannabe fighting game.

If there must be guest characters in MK11, make it one or two max. Everything more than 2 is just... useless and doesn't make any sense. Fans and even casual players don't want them. And NRS/WB needs to realize that, the sooner the better.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
You're not much on the MK sub-reddit, are you?
Every other post is about requesting guest characters. People do indeed want them. Fans and casuals alike. There's a reason they are the most sold DLC characters in the games.

I personally don't care about them though. Never liked horror characters, not that big a fan of Hellboy or the TMNT. And I never cared about the guest characters in other fighting games either. It's only in recent times there's been a few I liked, those being Noctis in Tekken 7 and Geralt in SoulCalibur VI. And honestly, the chance of Spawn in MK11 could be pretty cool, if done right.

There are indeed a lot of opposers, and honestly, I'd rather have more MK characters than any guest character. However, saying no one wants them... that's just plain and simple wrong.

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
It's perfectly understandable if you personally don't like guest characters, and you can very easily just not purchase them, but try not to speak for everyone else. Case in point, I was hyped as hell when they announced Predator and Alien, so already, i'm not part of this collective 'We' that you're referring to. Wasn't too excited about Jason or Leatherface, so i just didn't bother buying them.

Could we use more MK characters? Yeah, but there's already pretty good chance we'll be getting at least a few 3d-era characters in MK 11, but pretending that no one gets excited or wants guest characters just plain isn't right.

Gamer68

Fujin!
NRS/WB might think that they are cool and that people care about them but the truth is that people don't care about them and that they are usually not cool and interesting enough to take place that can be taken by MK characters that fans are asking for years now.
I'm 90% sure that the best selling DLC characters in all NRS games have always been the guests. They entice casual players into buying the season passes and/or double dip with the complete editions, also.

With that being said, I would prefer to see less guests or at least "better" guests. While Leatherface was fun, I don't think he was really needed especially since not many people even wanted him (unlike Predator and Alien).

If the guests in MK11 really do end up being Spawn, Doomguy, and Pennywise, then I would actually be fine with it. Spawn and Doomguy kinda change things up from the normal horror/sci-fi characters we've been getting, but Pennywise is still there for people who did like the movie characters.

Alec

Noob
You say that people don't care about them, but the guest characters are always the most selling ones. It's the reason NRS has done it so much in the first place.
That being said, of course most of us that are MK "enthusiasts" would rather have more MK chars but the "casual" players make the bulk of sales. But it's a business, and, unfortunately, I'm not seeing guest characters changing anytime soon.

Samsara

Resident Cynic
Honestly man nothing could describe the salt when NRS released 4 fucking guest characters (Leatherface wtf) instead of the characters they already ported to the story mode:

Rain
Sindel
Baraka

Like, I get it. Guest characters bring in hype and $. It's the sad reality of it all. 2 guest characters is about all I'll tolerate in MK11. Spawn and maybe someone else. Otherwise, find a character in the lore to bring back instead.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik

If there must be guest characters in MK11, make it one or two max. Everything more than 2 is just... useless and doesn't make any sense. Fans and even casual players don't want them. And NRS/WB needs to realize that, the sooner the better.
I agree with this part. Too many guests distorts the game, detracts from it. For instance, Alien and Predator were cool and all and were part from the same franchise, AvP; but adding Jason and Leatherface were too much. You could add some story about AvP landing in the MK world but adding Jason and the other in the same world at the same time was inserting them for the sake of it, even though I consider Jason a lot more fun to play with than Predator and the other guests.

If they will add the Doomguy I hope they add someone related to his world and not Spawn or other dissociated guest. The TMNT were great for I2 because they were superheroes and in the comic world is not crazy to find crossovers from seemingly unrelated franchises, like GI Joe and the Transformers . Terminator could be an awesome guest knowing his mission to terminate the human specie, plus he is known for time travelling, something MK11 will be about (apparentely). One could make a story about him travelling back to time and some malfunction occurs and he ends up landing in the MK11 time-space. You could add the T-1000 or Connor or whatever char from Terminator World to bring some sense to the story. But that's just a personal wish.

PlanetSega

Champ that runs the camp
Yes we all understand that they are there for “FiNanCial ReAsoNS”. Some of us still can say we don’t want them. Hope on MK11 you can ban characters like those movie characters in your search while you look for a match.

ABACABB

End Of Humanity
I want guest dlc , in fact I mained freddy in mk9 and alien in mkx :D But not all guest chars are cool . Jason and leatherface were lame . In this game I want spawn , pinhead , ash from evil dead or pennywise would be cool too .

E

Eldriken

NRS doesn't care about peoples' opinion unless they speak with their wallet.

With the money NRS makes from guest characters, it's pretty clear to them that people want them.

I like them, personally. I have nothing against the other end of the spectrum, however. They're not for everyone. But even if they're not for you, that shouldn't mean they ought to be done away with entirely. What is it about you that you get what you want while others don't?

tl;dr People want guest characters. Get over it.

Gamer68

Fujin!
Honestly man nothing could describe the salt when NRS released 4 fucking guest characters (Leatherface wtf) instead of the characters they already ported to the story mode:

Rain
Sindel
Baraka

Like, I get it. Guest characters bring in hype and $. It's the sad reality of it all. 2 guest characters is about all I'll tolerate in MK11. Spawn and maybe someone else. Otherwise, find a character in the lore to bring back instead.
I'm still mad about Leatherface and Injustice 2 has already come out, and Mortal Kombat 11 is almost here. lol

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
NRS does guest characters better than anyone else in the genre, period. That and it's $$$. The only one so far to me at least that was out in left field was Leatherface, they could have used Myers, Pinhead etc several other horror legends better than LF honestly but I have a feeling MK 11 will have Michael, given the success of Halloween recently and since NRS said they already said he'd fit in MK, would not surprise me if he's in MK 11 at some point.