What's new

Opinion: We Don't Need (and Don't Want) Guest Characters in a MK Game

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
Most likely yes, since they're in control of the whole DLC/microtransaction marketing of the NRS games.
Kinda figured, so realistically just keeping tabs on what WB movies are coming out would be the best indication possible of guest characters.

Sairose

Possible ChaosRealmer
Honestly, if you asked me before this game was announced, I would've been okay with one or two. But now that I really think about it, I'm on the anti-guest mindset with most fans, now. I can see the money-making strategy, but I can't really think of being a content creator and having someone purchase my product not for my own characters, because he's excited for some third-party fucker that doesn't belong there.

It's a pride thing and guests were plastered almost everywhere in MKX and took roster spots of deserving characters we wanted. They soil the integrity and image of MK as a franchise. I prefer purity and perseverance for this series.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
. But now that I really think about it, I'm on the anti-guest mindset with most fans, now.[/QUOTE]
Once again most fans want guest characters. People vote with their money and they want guest characters, and they sell in ridiculous numbers compared to the "normal" cast of dlc. If this was not the case the concept would fade away due to lack of sales and interest.

*edit*

I personally don't give a shit about guest characters, but facts are facts. Just because you don't like em doesn't mean nothing. You are massively outnumbered by the people who do want them.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
no problem with any guest char in MK11, if they fits the gore and violence atmosphere tha MK universe and lore demands ..... I enjoy a lot the great creativity and imagination NRS and Ed Boon have when adapting a guest character into the MK universe, rsrsr heheeh ! until now, they did an excelent job with all guests chars that came in MK9 and MKX, so , no worries about who will be the guests for MK 11 .... so far so good regarding guests in MK ! :D:)

DelSchokoladenSaft

Can of Corn Main
The cool thing about mk is that it was initially a licensed game starring Jean-Claude Van Damme. He didn't want his likeness to be out there in the long term, so it fell through. Johnny Cage was born under these circumstances. The team noticed that the titles of other fighting games were a tad cheesy, like final fist and whatnot. Then someone ad written the word "Combat". Then someone changed the C to a K, to make themselves unique. Mortal was added after that, and the rest is history.

MK putting guest fighters in isn't short of what they wanted to do in the first place, tying something that has been known to the world into a game. I've thought this through and I want to share. To answer OP's question, that "we" is a minority in the world of MK. I MYSELF do not care for guest characters, because MK's atmosphere will naturally bring in a darker guest to begin with. I don't care for Jason, Predator, Alien, Leatherface, Pinhead, Pennywise, Freddy Krueger, Michael Myers, Spawn, or Ash Williams. I've seen a handful of content from some of these franchises, and admit that Freddy V. Jason was a cool movie to watch. I do not like horror movies in general. I noticed something when I saw that I had all characters in MKX, completeness. I was satisfied with seeing the character select screen full, and nothing grayed out. Alas, I do not care for playing the four guest characters.

With this new MK coming out in just over four months, I have the opportunity to plan ahead with what I want. Unless a future guest character interests me, I will not buy one. Now I understand nuance. Nuance in this case is towards people liking guest characters. People will have different tastes from me. I will acknowledge that. I do not want my opinion to stymie the flow of what a company wants to bring in. Someone's favorite character in MKX could be Jason or Predator.

Guest characters can bring in lifelong MK enthusiasts, all because Freddy Krueger was announced. It can allow people to share their favorite game with a friend who previously had a passing interest, if no interest at all. It can spark something. Now I'm not saying that we need guest characters to have the franchise to survive. But the enthusiast is a small minority compared to people with expendable income and want a coll looking game.

There are regular, MK based characters that people do not want in the next game. People can see a leak and get angry that "BRC got in before Tanya". I understand that, but I would not mind if Tanya got left out for BRC to get in. That is my OPINION. I will not partake in guests unless they interest me. Like others have said, vote with your wallet. I will.

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
Imagine having 30+ MK characters in the roster, and crying because some obscure jobber didn't get added, but instead other people got the chance to play one of their favourite creations merged with their favourite franchises.

Entitlement is so real in guest character complaint threads.

Funny thing is, is that it's all happening before a single guest character has even been announced.

Anyway, keep those pitchforks high and raise those "Kira for MK11" banners for all at NRS to see

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
I don't think Jason had a movie tie in. The last Friday The 13th movie was released in 2009.
Yup, I think your right that was the only instance I thought of also. Maybe did it release around the same time as the the game maybe?

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
I mean, I don’t like guest characters, but they bring in all the $$$ from people that will play the game for two weeks, so it is what it is.

xXRagingFlameXx

I'm a bad bitch, you can't kill me
Imagine having 30+ MK characters in the roster, and crying because some obscure jobber didn't get added, but instead other people got the chance to play one of their favourite creations merged with their favourite franchises.

THIS! It's so dramatic and honestly getting childish in my opinion, like, why even bother at this point? Guests are going to happen in these games.

Even if you protest them and stop buying DLC guests all together...guess what? It's not gonna matter because 90% of people are going to pay for them lmao.

But then people say they won't buy any other guests besides Spawn.......that's still going to encourage them and put that money in their pocket to make them want to put more guests in! It's literally a lose-lose for the people complaining, but they don't care because they need to find something to complain about.

"The entire game was filled with horror characters!" "Might as well just make a horror fighting game!!!!!!!!"

Acting dramatic isn't going to change the fact that literally only 4 characters out of 33 were horror movie characters and they all sold more than the MK character DLC. I can also guarantee you that even if Fujin, Sareena, Sindel, Kabal, Stryker, Kira, Reiko, whoever the fan favorite of the week is, got put in as DLC, the guests would still outsell them. That's just a fact, but no matter how many times it's pointed out people refuse to listen.

How many times are we gonna have to see the same people say they don't want guests? Like, we get it, but...it's gonna happen anyway. I'm just gonna need some of y'all to understand that before the DLC gets announced because when you see those guest names you're gonna be clutching your MK lore purist pearls.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way

Funny thing is, is that it's all happening before a single guest character has even been announced.

Anyway, keep those pitchforks high and raise those "Kira for MK11" banners for all at NRS to see
KOBRA FOR MK 11

BecomingDeath13

"You won't winter over?" Who the fuck wrote that?
Can’t wait for Ash to replace Johnny Cage, Pennywise to replace Mileena and Terminator to replace Sector/Cyrax
No guest has ever replaced another character. If a character is absent, it's because they were never planned to be a part of the game in the first place. A guest 'replacing' a character from mk is assinine. A specific mk character robbing another mk character out of a spot is also assinine. I have never understood this thought process. Granted I do know you're being facetious Crimea, so don't take this as an attack or anything.

KOBRA FOR MK 11
This is probably sad...but I actually did like Kobra

"The entire game was filled with horror characters!" "Might as well just make a horror fighting game!!!!!!!!"
:DOGE

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I can't recall a single time I've seen that being said. Not claiming otherwise, but if it's a shared opinion by so many people, I figured I'd have seen it being brought up by now.
What's a fairer assumption?
1. Doesn't exist because you haven't seen it
2. Recurring pattern in design due to high interest?

thesacrifist

Too old for this
I don't personally like guest characters either, but I fully understand NRS' choice to include them. Hoping for some characters that actually fit the universe so my headcanon will be satisfied

Crimea

Noob
No guest has ever replaced another character. If a character is absent, it's because they were never planned to be a part of the game in the first place. A guest 'replacing' a character from mk is assinine. A specific mk character robbing another mk character out of a spot is also assinine. I have never understood this thought process. Granted I do know you're being facetious Crimea, so don't take this as an attack or anything.
I'm still salty about Alien-Baraka:(

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
I'm still salty about Alien-Baraka:(
That was indeed pretty gross.
That's how I felt about Kitana's "Mournful" variation.

"Hey, let's just give these moves from a lesser popular character to this more popular character, no one's going to miss that lesser popular character anyways, right!"

Made me feel sick to my stomach, tbh.

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
That was indeed pretty gross.
That's how I felt about Kitana's "Mournful" variation.

"Hey, let's just give these moves from a lesser popular character to this more popular character, no one's going to miss that lesser popular character anyways, right!"

Made me feel sick to my stomach, tbh.
Mournful made me think this is what happened "oh snap we realized kitana only has one style how do we make it three? Quick name other things about her: trained assassin, princess, romantic with Liu kang, has a single friend. Ok go with all of that"

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
He’s such a jobber he got to get killed by D’Vorah in the story and can’t even get to survive outside of canon, Alien gets him there too

trufenix

bye felicia
Are guest characters picked by WB, I swear everyone I can remember had a movie tie.
Everyone, including the ability for the game to be made, is picked by WB. But clearly its not all profit driven. There wasn't any movie money behind Hellboy or TMNT, even Predator and Alien were dormant franchises at the time they were introduced in MKX.

Really only Black Lightning, Jason and Zod got timed at or around the time their stuff got launched. People wanted tons of TDK dlc for I1 that they never got, people wanted Michael Myers in MKX, even JL got pretty shit representation in I2.

FatalTragedy

Jesus Fucking Christ
I’d be stoked if all the DLC characters were guests characters from horror films. Could care less about Spawn. The only MK character I need is Havik if he’s not on the main roster.