What's new

Opinion: We Don't Need (and Don't Want) Guest Characters in a MK Game

Alec

Noob
I actually would like Ash Williams too, dude has a chainsaw for a hand, a shotgun, and, more importantly, one hell of a charismatic personality.
I still think it would be a little silly and feel "off-place" but I'll take Ash any day over Leatherface(and even Pennywise who seems to be a popular request).

Last edited:

trufenix

bye felicia
Guest characters were a huge problem back in the day when you couldn't pick your character before the fight. Oh wait, that never happened?

Whats the issue again? Too many interesting characters on the select screen?

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
One thing I wish you could do with guest characters is toggle them on or off when you are playing classic ladders. I don't mind having them around when I want them, but I don't want them forced on me during the traditional game - it is jarring.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I want at least one of these two. Let's go!
I'd be very happy with no guest characters and I believe they do weaken the franchise, due to removing player continuity between games. Like ONI might not be in SFV but was in other SF over the years.. when he comes back that is hype for fans fo the franchise.. when people get into MK on a guest character, it is all lost fandom.. they have nothing to hype for in a future game as that character is never coming back. Just look at EvilRyu reveal for an example of how when you have a huge roster using your own IP has the same effect as a guest character.

BUT... guest characters are a thing, so deal with it. Sure it would be better without.. but if we gotta have them..

I have to say that Ash is the perfect guest for MK. He has the horror roots, the humour of the character matches perfectly, the way he talks is perfect for into dialogues , he fits the gore requirements, has cool weapons with the shotgun and the chainsaw to make interesting attacks... IMO, there isn't a single guest fans have suggested that is as perfect a match as Ash.

Fatality on Dark Raidan - "Good? Bad?.... I'm the one with the gun,"

Skedar70

Noob
NRS are the pioneers of guest characters and they have done a phenomenal job at it. I personally think that the Ninja turtles was the greatest of them all. I am exited to actually see who they put in Mortal Kombat now that they have the made all of the most iconic horror characters. Leave your "no guess characters" to yourself, guest characters ftw.

BecomingDeath13

"You won't winter over?" Who the fuck wrote that?
I used to hate the idea of guest characters. I've just grown to accept that it's gonna happen whether I want it to or not. I would just prefer 2 at the most. I think 4 was definitely pushing it for mkx. If you're gonna throw every horror icon in. Then just fucking make a horror fighting game instead.

E

Eldriken

eldrican't say I'm too wrong though. :p
I can't recall a single time I've seen that being said. Not claiming otherwise, but if it's a shared opinion by so many people, I figured I'd have seen it being brought up by now.

Jynks

bring back leatherface in mk11
this is the crux of my point. Guests characters never return.. so all the fandom and history a gamer has in the franchise is lost. There is no game reveal for MK12 or a DLC where Leatherface will be back and you will go OHHHHYEAH!... but if (like street fighter) just use actual original IP characters from the truly massive MK roster.. that would happen. Like when the Noob reveal happen (I'm sure he will be in the new game) or even if not.. when it eventual DOSE happen.. that is actual real hype and all the old Noob players will go crazy. So the biggest problem with guest characters in my mind is that they weaken the entire franchise. It makes the games less hype and removes continuity between games for fans and adds to the "disposable" feeling NRS games have.

Jynks

The people who actually care that every character they see carries a badge of in-universe authenticity are the smallest percentage of players, consumers, and apparently even spectators.
I do not think you understood what I said. My comments have nothing to do with the popularity of characters.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
NRS vision on terrordome would be insteresting to see.

Its not that we all want guest or not, but whoever plays games in tournaments and such its going to have to purchase even the guest either they like it or not as much as i'm most of us would want to vote with our wallets.

Casual's have the biggest purchase of guest DLC, if you play casually and you don't want a guest, don't buy them.

Kratos only failed because he was console exclusive, so he was banned, it felt like money lost, reason why NRS has never added console exclusive characters any longer.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
I was unaware of what happened at MK9. Now I'm aware of what happened with MKX, and I'll learn to buy only those that are from MK world, like Bo 'Rai Cho and Tanya. Not gonna add the non-MK characters, except of Spawn.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
People want and need guest characters in an MK game because the guest characters wildly and massively sell the most of any DLC. This provides financial incentive for NRS to keep doing this, and this also shows them this is indeed what the public wants.

The people who not want guest characters for NRS games, are a very vocal minority who do not move the needle in any way shape or form and are just yelling into a careless void that does not respond.