What's new

Opinion on the what the current tiers look like

WidowPuppy

Attack pekingese
I agree with the majority of the tier list. The fact there are so many characters in S+ and S tier shows there is something majorly wrong with balance in this game.

In Tekken Tag 2, there were only 3 characters considered to be S tier (Heihachi, Devil Jin, Kazuya).
And that's out of 59 characters, damn those guys are good! Their Online is also amongst the best I've experienced in and fighting game. [Off topic, I know] [Runs away]

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
@Youphemism when a good portion of the cast has a jump attack with a giant hitbox in a game with generally weak anti air distribution there is great reason to go to the air. Why dash away from a jump if your character has a good anti air. Evading jumps might be a good tactic but it will never beat outright punishes.

Don't exaggerate and then get defensive when some one calls you up on your exaggeration.

Right now, Shinnok is one of the most meter dependant characters in the game as far as chip/pressure goes, and when his meter runs out his risk/reward begins to look like Scorpion from Injustice. The footsie game is super overrated when F2,2 starts whiffing on smalls and in general very unsafe and has gaps...and F3 does not have the impact it should have in said footsie game.

...and yeah. Wrong character analogy (Bane).
I still feel that Shinnok is not that good, but only thing that helps him out is the new F3 he got and the plus on block when you meter burn the hell sparks on block.

Shyguy

Ol_Jibbs
I still don't understand not having a tier list that includes character variations. "The sum of all parts" tier list doesn't make sense, as certain variations are obviously better than others, and the sum of all parts holds no bearing on actual matchups.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
It kind of does make sense to just include the character for the tier list since pretty much all characters have one variation which is clearly superior to the rest

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
@RiBBz22

It's my opinion, the topic is opinion afterall. I'm sure there's a variation you like/dislike who others here who disagree on.

At any rate, like I said earlier. I'm sure it's viable offline. Online it's crap from what I've encountered, perhaps I haven't played any good HF Scorps yet, everyone I've encountered so far has been rather easy though lol. You play on Xbox yes?:cool:

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
@RiBBz22

It's my opinion, the topic is opinion afterall. I'm sure there's a variation you like/dislike who others here who disagree on.

At any rate, like I said earlier. I'm sure it's viable offline. Online it's crap from what I've encountered, perhaps I haven't played any good HF Scorps yet, everyone I've encountered so far has been rather easy though lol. You play on Xbox yes?:cool:
Nah, PS4. Once you do play a good Hellfire Scorpion, you will realize how much better that variation is than Inferno which is a so-so variation with some good tools that can be used to check people that zone/turtle, catch bad/lazy blockers, and that is about it. Hellfire has all those tools with incredible offense, meter-building, defense, and counter-zoning.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Nah, PS4. Once you do play a good Hellfire Scorpion, you will realize how much better that variation is than Inferno which is a so-so variation with some good tools that can be used to check people that zone/turtle, catch bad/lazy blockers, and that is about it. Hellfire has all those tools with incredible offense, meter-building, defense, and counter-zoning.
Oh I saw your xbox tag in your bio so figured you played on xbox too. All good.

I was just messing around with Scorp for zoning capabilities past month +, I am too used to his MK 9 style which is broken up into his variations in this game. So I will prob drop him. Not saying he's bad in either Inferno or HF, it's just I am too used to using sword attacks mixed with hellfire. When I used HF I don't do his rushdown game at all, I zoned with his HF etc but for MK 9 IMO it worked better. This game I noticed his HF everyone's talking about rushing down with him etc and using the flame aura.

Think I'll just wait for Pred and Tremor, guess we'll see. So far every Scorp I play that's good uses Inferno and nothing else lol. Guess time will tell once I encounter a decent HF Scorp.

People are downplaying Impostor Shinnok way too hard in this thread.

45%+ chip damage with 3 bars.
unbreakable damage.
F22 has better range than any other string in the game.
16% grabs after his "low" damage does not equal low damage...
Great anti air, great anti cross over, great punishing tools, great anti zoner, strong rush down with MB hell sparks.
Mimicry puts you at +104 and is a standing reset that also grants a damage boost.
That's fine and dandy but when you run out of meter and had nothing else to use with, it makes all of these great things listed obsolete.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
@RiBBz22

Oh I saw your xbox tag in your bio so figured you played on xbox too. All good.

I was just messing around with Scorp for zoning capabilities past month +, I am too used to his MK 9 style which is broken up into his variations in this game. So I will prob drop him. Not saying he's bad in either Inferno or HF, it's just I am too used to using sword attacks mixed with hellfire. When I used HF I don't do his rushdown game at all, I zoned with his HF etc but for MK 9 IMO it worked better. This game I noticed his HF everyone's talking about rushing down with him etc and using the flame aura.

Think I'll just wait for Pred and Tremor, guess we'll see. So far every Scorp I play that's good uses Inferno and nothing else lol. Guess time will tell once I encounter a decent HF Scorp.
No XBox tag in my bio brehhhhhhh PS/Steam

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
It kind of does make sense to just include the character for the tier list since pretty much all characters have one variation which is clearly superior to the rest
That only makes sense if a given list is actually created with the goal of ranking each character by "best variation," but this list (as with most lists posted so far) was explicitly created using a different mindset: "This is based on the overall character, not just the 'best' variant"

Im more concerned with weaker variations being buffed than entire character's being fixed, yes most chars have a strongest variation but that shouldnt be something we accept

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
@Youphemism when a good portion of the cast has a jump attack with a giant hitbox in a game with generally weak anti air distribution there is great reason to go to the air. Why dash away from a jump if your character has a good anti air. Evading jumps might be a good tactic but it will never beat outright punishes.

Don't exaggerate and then get defensive when some one calls you up on your exaggeration.
Speaking of exaggerations, define this "good portion of the cast" that have "giant" hitboxes on their jump attacks. I mean I can think of Sonya, Kotal, Lao and Jin off the top of my head but who else? As was discussed by Tony At Home and Harold in one of Tony's threads people need to not worry so much about anti-airing and more on trip guarding/spacing themselves from jump attacks or even running under like I said depending on the attack. If the game doesn't have good anti-airs then we need to adapt to that, we just aren't fully used to our options yet since it's only 2 months into the game. Hell I've seen F0xy space himself and anti-air with standing 1 a bunch for a start even though Lao has spin, god knows how things will turn out later in the game's life as people learn to deal with things better. You don't see Sonic running around jumping, or DJT, that's for a reason.

Sorry you took my post literally but it's pretty obvious I'm not saying absolutely noone has ever jumped, does jump or will jump in MKX. What I meant is that you don't see as much jumping as, say, Injustice.

Tweedy

Noob
I should preface this with, "I haven't seen a lot of high level d'vorah play", but why is she S+ and not S or A?
I'm also curious about this. I'm not questioning her placement, as i'm not a top or even good player, but I've seen great representatives of every S+, S, and even A tier characters in tournaments and online, besides D'vorah. I'm sure she's as good as you guys say, though.

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat

I just watching this reaction video from EVO in 2014 for the Raiden reveal. I noticed how the variations that are now not viable got the most hype lol... Its a shame because the Displacer and Storm variations looked the most interesting, technical and unique to use in competitive matches. I feel like the run mechanic has been the cause of these variations being useless

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Speaking of exaggerations, define this "good portion of the cast" that have "giant" hitboxes on their jump attacks. I mean I can think of Sonya, Kotal, Lao and Jin off the top of my head but who else? As was discussed by Tony At Home and Harold in one of Tony's threads people need to not worry so much about anti-airing and more on trip guarding/spacing themselves from jump attacks or even running under like I said depending on the attack. If the game doesn't have good anti-airs then we need to adapt to that, we just aren't fully used to our options yet since it's only 2 months into the game. Hell I've seen F0xy space himself and anti-air with standing 1 a bunch for a start even though Lao has spin, god knows how things will turn out later in the game's life as people learn to deal with things better. You don't see Sonic running around jumping, or DJT, that's for a reason.

Sorry you took my post literally but it's pretty obvious I'm not saying absolutely noone has ever jumped, does jump or will jump in MKX. What I meant is that you don't see as much jumping as, say, Injustice.
kung lao's satnding 1 is highly dependend on against which characters you are a playing and what jumping normals the opponent will use. It is not that reliable.