What's new

Opinion on the what the current tiers look like

kencheese

sub zero cryomancer
Whoever told you that is selling you a major bill man. :p Plenty of his strings are + on block when run cancelled. 3 of which give you a true block string. Heck, F213 is plus on block even when FB DASH cancelled or done into metamorphosis change in Dualist.

The real problem is that Liu's strings are very hitbox specific and takes a huge chunk out of what he can entertain with the run cancel pressure against lower hitbox characters. Any attempts to bring this to NRS' attention keeps falling flat on it's face since the jobber Liu players who can't accept MK9 Liu isn't coming back keep trying to sneak in luxury buffs between proposed fix threads.
i am new to mk, love liu k, you said he has three true block strings, would you be nice enough to list them for me, just learning all about frame data and love liu k(dark emperor mainly) thank you scott r

His "backstory" in said game states Tremor was apprehended by the Special Forces and imprisoned after being betrayed by Kano, acting under the facade of a confidential informant for the Special Forces, who were searching for the Black Dragon, but Tremor escaped. He then targeted both Kano and Jax for revenge.
due to the fact he has a unique relationship with the Black Dragon and the Lin Kuei, the latter of which he was rumored to abandon, the first Lin Kuei ninja to do so and live .

im not sure he will be in either, but might make an appearance in one of the others, his origin is earthrealm so i think that keeps him from being brotherhood of shadows.
Yeah thats true but in the real main story, in mk9 that story change he still is in black dragon (If you read mkx comic), and if you heard the tremor intro dialogues he still in black dragon so i dont know somehow in the near future that will change but in mkx he's black dragon for sure

From my own experience and watching tons of tournament videos. * denotes characters I feel are slept on.

S

Tanya
Kung Lao
D'Vorah
Raiden
Kung Jin
Sonya Blade
Cassie Cage

A

Scorpion
Quan Chi
Erron Black
Jax Briggs
Kenshi*
Sub-Zero
Johnny Cage
Ermac

B

Kotal Kahn
Mileena
Shinnok*
Kano
Jacqui Briggs*
Liu Kang
Takeda Takahashi*
Reptile*
Ferra/Torr*

C

Jason Voorhees*
Kitana
Goro*

I used to think D'Vorah was the absolute best, but Tanya seems too good right now with the teleport/Magnetoesque shenanigans, and Tempest KL is a nightmare

my list in no order. *means potential to move up a rank

S:
Raiden
Kung Jin
Dvorah

S-:
Quan Chi
Cassie*
Jax*
Erron Black*
Tanya*
Sonya
Scorpion
Ermac

A:
Kung Lao*
Sub Zero
Kenshi
Shinnok
Kotal Kahn
Liu Kang
Jacqui

B:
Johnny Cage*
Takeda*
Ferra/Torr*
Kano
Reptile
Mileena

C:
Jason
Goro
Kitana

After CEO and the balance patch (along with some of my own observations)

* Slept on

S+

Tanya (way too good as is, even with "nerfs")

S

Kung Lao
Raiden
Kung Jin
Sonya Blade
Cassie Cage
Erron Black
D'Vorah (FBC nerf hurt her)

A

Quan Chi
Liu Kang (stupidly good, maybe even S with buffs)
Jax Briggs
Shinnok
Scorpion (Hellfire got the nerf bat hard)
Kenshi
Sub-Zero
Johnny Cage (ppl sleep hard on Stunt Double)
Kitana (dat Kenshi buff)
Ermac
Kano (got great buffs)

B

Mileena
Kotal Kahn
Reptile (buffs helped but he still has issues)
Jacqui Briggs*
Takeda Takahashi*
Ferra/Torr*

C

Jason Voorhees*
Goro

Last edited:
What exactly is so good about Tanya? I hear often how every combo is safe bc she can cancel into back teleport. This is false. In the 2 characters I messed around with her on, scorpion and sub zero. .. scorpion teleported and caught me in the air, and sub zero did a slide and caught me before landing.

And I have fought Quan Chi summoners who utilize the bat and completely trap me the whole round. Granted what he was doing to me was extremely hard to pull off, I could barely even follow, but nonetheless it was doable. He's by far, S+.

What exactly is so good about Tanya? I hear often how every combo is safe bc she can cancel into back teleport. This is false. In the 2 characters I messed around with her on, scorpion and sub zero. .. scorpion teleported and caught me in the air, and sub zero did a slide and caught me before landing.

And I have fought Quan Chi summoners who utilize the bat and completely trap me the whole round. Granted what he was doing to me was extremely hard to pull off, I could barely even follow, but nonetheless it was doable. He's by far, S+.
Tanya is good at literally everything and forces everyone to play her game by nature of her tool set. Quan is 100% free on wake-up and close range vs a lot of chars

Tanya is good at literally everything and forces everyone to play her game by nature of her tool set. Quan is 100% free on wake-up and close range vs a lot of chars
Any examples of what Tanya excels at? Most if her teleporting is punishable, it seems she needs a meter for most of her damage. I've only experience playing Kobu jutsu though

Any examples of what Tanya excels at? Most if her teleporting is punishable, it seems she needs a meter for most of her damage. I've only experience playing Kobu jutsu though
50/50s in the air and ground, great buttons in general, controls the pace of the match, the best runaway/zoning in MKX with Pyro, overpowering chip/rushdown capabilities with the other two, some characters have literally no answer for her, best mobility, and teleports get punished only if you're dumb with using them. Antiairs are not very reliable or threatening in this game unless you're KL or a handful of others. I would be happy if they took a bar of stamina per teleport (every other character has this) or nixed some inv. frames, and she would be fine. Your argument was that Quan Chi is better/a bigger problem than Tanya, and i disagree hard. Quan definitely has overpowering offense, zoning and mixup/damage potential to compete at the top, but if he has trouble with rushdown/pressure in all forms in a game primarily dominated by offense/rushdown, 50/50s, armored punishers and strong wake-up games, he's not S tier.

Last edited: