What's new

Online Tournaments Abroad Have Begun to Ban Jacqui

Should Jacqui be banned from online tournaments?

• Total voters

R00KI30FTH3Y3AR

(S)teel (V)alley (K)ombat
Excuse my French, but.....bitches. We lived through MK9 Kabal, which was by and far the most busted thing to come out of the twisted minds at NRS by a margin so wide that even busted Jacqui couldn't leap across it. If we didn't ban that character back then, you mean to tell me that in lieu of characters like Geras and Joker, that we should just hop on the wagon now? M'kay NRS community....m'kay.

Inzzane_79

Every time someone farts, a demon gets his wings
This is all a publicity ploy to get her balanced properly, which she has mostly gone by avoiding.

Her buttons and frames are beyond absurd. Just like with Geras we're so numb to how OP she is that we've adjusted and accepted it. Even with some balancing she'd still be top 5 easily just not such a carrying broken character.

Cetrion, who comprises like 5% of the mk11 community at most, lost her standing plus frames. She's had her tele nerfed.
Liu lost his plus frames. Not that he ever needed them.
Geras became punishable. Wow imagine that.

Jacqui has everything you could possibly want in a character across 3 variations. Balance her, the community is doing this to speak up on the matter. Kratos in his post said it himself. It's a publicity ploy. Hope it works too.
If she is such a "broken" character please show me your winrate with her and how many tournaments you won with her. Should be 90% winrate (or 100 if the char is broken) and tons of tournament wins. I´ll wait......

Stop calling her broken when you have no clue what a broken character looks like!!!

She maybe a bit too strong but 4-6 matchups are still very winnable., and I think some characters still go 5-5 with her. This crazy tournament acts like she rapes everyone 9-1, it'll set a very bad example.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I think Noob Saibot could give her a hard enough time to prove she isn't as scary as everyone actually getting on the ban train thinks. I would love to see a First To XxX match between Rio or Coach Steve against a major Dark Sabbath player, if any exist. I feel like the implementation of the armor break, the ridiculous damage he can now get in that variation, and the constant interruption of Spirit Ball and Up Kick would make for an even playing field.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I feel like Raijin should give her a hard time, or at least do well against her, especially now that his Summon Lightening move has a faster startup.

Cashual

PSN: Cansuela
This is why I appreciate Tom to this day. His video was so informative to help catch people up on why a lot of the community is complaining
I’m done with Tom, unfortunately. I donated $50 to him specifically to travel to an event last year, and subbed to him on Twitch for over a year, and I recently found out he was straight up lying. What a disappointment. He’s a grown man, not some misguided 20 year old kid making a mistake.

I’ve defended him, backed him, and been a fan for so long, but this just crossed the line for me. Wish him well, but I won’t even give him the clicks.

People want her nerfed. Baning her is message to NRS , that they should stop protecting her. Like, why do jax and terminator have to die trying to get into close range while she can just press 2 buttons (meterless alswell) and avoide all that trouble ?

The discussion shouldn't even be focused on whether the character is broken or OP. Being a broken/OP character is not itself valid criteria for banning a character.

Ban discussions happen when a game's competitive lifespan is on the line because people can't play the game at a high level without being forced to use the character.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
has anyone even won a main tournament with her? there are some real real good players that use her and i have yet to see them get past top 8.
Many players using all three variations, most notably Sooneo who uses V2 Jacqui, have consistently placed top 8 in Mr. Aquaman's online tournament series. I am not sure if anyone has ever won, but such criterion is invalid in my opinion because Cyrax, for example, did not win a tournament until the end of Mortal Kombat 9's lifespan although he had always been broken, as you already know.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Many players using all three variations, most notably Sooneo who uses V2 Jacqui, have consistently placed top 8 in Mr. Aquaman's online tournament series. I am not sure if anyone has ever won, but such criterion is invalid in my opinion because Cyrax, for example, did not win a tournament until the end of Mortal Kombat 9's lifespan although he had always been broken, as you already know.
Mr. Aquaman's The Kolloseum finale had exactly zero Jacqui players. Cyrax was a mainstay in top 8 even if he wasn't actually wining (Maxter, for example, long before DJT switched).

Sooneo was #22 in the standings overall, so I don't think it's a great example.

The truth is that we're seeing a lot more of Cage, Geras etc. among top players in finals brackets atm. Which isn't to downplay Jacqui -- but I also think we shouldn't be misleading about the results.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
I’m genuinely curious, when did it become a stated fact and consensus opinion that Jacqui is no. 1? Were the nerfs to Joker, cetrion, Liu Kang that significant? Is the fact that Cassie got massive useful buffs not significant? Is there really no other character that can compete?

Frankly when

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Mr. Aquaman's The Kolloseum finale had exactly zero Jacqui players.
What about the weekly tournaments leading up to the final tournament? Admittedly, character usage is sometimes difficult to determine because players like Deoxys, Kombat, and Rewind have an army of top tier characters, but suggesting that Jacqui played no role in the tournament series would be inaccurate and dishonest.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
What about the weekly tournaments leading up to the final tournament? Admittedly, character usage is sometimes difficult to determine because players like Deoxys, Kombat, and Rewind have an army of top tier characters, but suggesting that Jacqui played no role in the tournament series would be inaccurate and dishonest.
I'm not suggesting Jacqui has no role at at -- she's a very strong character. I'm disputing your specific claims about tournament results:

Sooneo was:
9th in Week 8
17th in Week 7
13th in Week 5
25th in Week 4
13th in Weeks 1 and 2.

https://smash.gg/league/the-kolosseum/standing/18805515

I like Sooneo, and I think he's a good player (and definitely Top 16 level in a tournament with good players) and the best rep. of Next Gen. But where are you getting this data that he was constantly making Top 8s? :coffee:

Sugarwatermixlegit

Bruce Campbell 4 MK!!!
Unrelated but this is the first time I think I’ve seen a Rule 34 artist sponsor/help organize a tournament.
Oh and yeah banning Jacqui is dumb.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
I took a break from the internet just to come back to shit like this. . .wow!

Also, don't mean to drag this thread but we still listening to the advice/opinions of Bill Menoutis? Really, guys?
I mean, he was once a top competitor and at the same time a top contributor to TYM, along with Pigofthehut and others. I'm not sticking up for his recent actions by any means, but how many top players do we have posting combos and setups and tech here now?

Kroaken

Life is a block string with no gaps.
I mean, he was once a top competitor and at the same time a top contributor to TYM, along with Pigofthehut and others. I'm not sticking up for his recent actions by any means, but how many top players do we have posting combos and setups and tech here now?
Plus he took the time to go through and explain/show where his opinion comes from which is more than you can say for most. I enjoyed the vid.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I'm not suggesting Jacqui has no role at at -- she's a very strong character. I'm disputing your specific claims about tournament results:

Sooneo was:
9th in Week 8
17th in Week 7
13th in Week 5
25th in Week 4
13th in Weeks 1 and 2.

https://smash.gg/league/the-kolosseum/standing/18805515

I like Sooneo, and I think he's a good player (and definitely Top 16 level in a tournament with good players) and the best rep. of Next Gen. But where are you getting this data that he was constantly making Top 8s? :coffee:
Why are you only focusing on Sooneo? He was merely one of four Jacqui players whom I mentioned yet arguably the least effective one in terms of the results.

And what are you even disputing? That Jacqui places top 8?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Many players using all three variations, most notably Sooneo who uses V2 Jacqui, have consistently placed top 8 in Mr. Aquaman's online tournament series.
Why are you only focusing on Sooneo?
You did say most notably Sooneo, and then quoted Kolosseum results that don't seem to exist. That's why I asked.

I just think that it's important that we get the facts straight on results if we're going to use them to support talking points. That was my initial and key point.