What's new

Online Tournaments Abroad Have Begun to Ban Jacqui

Should Jacqui be banned from online tournaments?

• Total voters

M2Dave

Zoning Master
The only bitter taste in my mouth comes from M2Dave making the thread who is championing the Jacqui-is-fair-cause.
If you know my history, you know how I feel about rush down and anti-zoning characters. LOL.

The truth is that this movement is setting and promoting a bad trend in which any character deemed "not playing the game" can subjectively be banned from tournaments.

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
i think we all have to love Jacqui, this is something important to NRS or someone in Nrs, i can feel that, Okey fella we gonna love Jacqui with all our hearts and spirits. Yes she is a fucking badass, do not lose your mind and sleep well.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
We should ban every character that has good tools, good rushdown, good zoning, good anti-zoning, good footsies and spacing as well as characters who can block, jump or crouch then the tournament will be fair and not to mention super duper mega-fun for all. I can't wait to see what's banned next (besides ME ;))

If you know my history, you know how I feel about rush down and anti-zoning characters. LOL.

The truth is that this movement is setting and promoting a bad trend in which any character deemed "not playing the game" can subjectively be banned from tournaments.
Did I mix you up with somebody else?

Sorry if I did. I thought you were the yellow or red name that's unironically going on about how Jacqui is fair and how much risk is involved in playing Upgraded as soon as somebody says that the character is bullshit.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
There's only two instances I can think of where characters should ever be banned from a tournament.

1: It's a purely atypical tournament based around strange rules (such as the MVC2 low-tier tournament)
2: The character is literally broken (NOT balance, actual buggy brokenness) and hasn't been patched yet

Considering we managed to put up with shit like MK9 Kabal/Cyrax/Sonya/Lao/Kenshi and MKX release Raiden/Quan Chi/Tanya/Alien, we can put up with MK11 Jacqui.

Still don't understand the outrage about Quan Chi. I remember Ketchup or Mustard putting up a video with tech for him that seemed really degenerate, but then I kept watching tournaments over the next weeks and NOBODY used him, then he got nerfed and that was basically it.

some people are always shouting character diversity but tekken master says final kombat was full of jacqui. :DOGE i mean fuck jacqui but she's not bannable

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Jacqui has been nerfed a couple times, at least as much as Cetrion has. That's not to say that she's perfectly balanced, but she's definitely not going untouched.

I don't think there's a single top tier in the game that's gone untouched so far. It's just a slower and more measured process than the old games where someone would get instantly hammered to low tier.
Facts. And I am glad they haven't done that with MK11, for sure. The gap between bottom and top tier is certainly still there, but it's comparatively the smallest it's ever been in an NRS game, previously unviable characters or not. There has not been a Mileena VS Sheeva or Zod VS Lex Luthor level bad MU in a really really long time, and I applaud that.

What bothers me is the feeling that a LOT more effort went into making damn sure that Jacqui was great from the beginning and has stayed great ever since, having three of the best variations and arguably the best overall character design in the entire game. Meanwhile, you have other characters who look like their variations were thrown together at random, who LOOK like they were designed for a version of the game that was never meant to be hamstrung by variations to begin with, which is a huge part of why I'm still so against it. Open season for custom builds means a more difficult learning curve, which turns off casuals, who will always have the majority over competitive players in NRS games, so we lose out and end up with builds like Pitch Black, True Kahn, V3 Kollector before the patch, V1 Spawn, that Fujin variation that looks like it was meant to have the hurricane hands but doesn't because who knows why...characters were saddlebagged with unviable design flaws, while Jacqui, who was already on top BEFORE Upgraded was added to the game, got a brand new tournament build which put her so far over the edge that it had to be dialed back.
It goes back to my argument yesterday about developer's bias; you can't fully reinforce one or two characters while ignoring all the apparent problems at hand and not expect it to reflect badly on you. This last patch DID go a really long way in addressing a lot of those issues, and made several characters and variations viable that were previously not worth the time of day, and that should absolutely be commended. But it doesn't explain the special treatment that Jacqui specifically has had since opening day, that's brought about this argument to begin with. Who would want to compete in a game where they feel like the developers are more concerned with who THEY want to be good? Because to end up in a situation like this means someone or someone's made the conscious decision to put her on the top of the pile and keep her there, in spite of the fact that people have been clamoring for MONTHS now about how tired they are of fighting a character who has so many legs up on everyone else.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
If you want to run your own tournament and want to ban certain characters, that’s your prerogative. Same way you can run a tournament that allows custom variations.

But honestly, she isn’t even remotely ban worthy officially. It’s really not even an interesting discussion. Because there just can’t even be a decent argument in favor of banning her.

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
I don't know what's more pathetic. That people actually protesting to put Jacqui in the same category of Akuma from SSF2T by banning her AFTER we didn't had to ban any character in any NRS game AND that she already got nerfed AND still didn't lead people to win majors EVEN before the nerfs (except maybe one time), or that both Arn Kratos (who I became a fan of recently) AND Tekken Master (you know, the guy that took his loss to Sonic in MKX EVO 2016 after the latter counter-picked him with Alien like a pro) are actually joining this fucking bullshit of a protest.

I'm sorry but this is fucking dumb beyond any fucking belief. Period.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Its probably the same pussies that pull the plug in warrior rank in kombat league and have mental breakdowns if you do a fatality on them.

Only people that have a right to be pissed of ar Jacqui are Johnny Cage mains because he was definitely nerfed disproportionately to other top tiers, even so he's still good and shes not unbeatable. I do legitimately hate Jacqui as a character tho.

Blewdew

PSN: MaxKayX3
Still don't understand the outrage about Quan Chi. I remember Ketchup or Mustard putting up a video with tech for him that seemed really degenerate, but then I kept watching tournaments over the next weeks and NOBODY used him, then he got nerfed and that was basically it.
Because quans trance was active for way longer than it is now, which allowed him to always get a bat midcombo into plusframes which garantueed a htb with a lot of possible options to vary between so he could easily set up Death loops and his zoning was also really good for how bad zoning was in mkx. At least quans armor move was garbage so you could oki him easily but he was still soooo annoying to fight against.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
It's interesting how during this whole time of BLM, a black character is out here getting banned. Coincidence? I think not.
If say coincidence yes, that seems like more of a stretch than banning Jacqui.

However, if that is the case and people are that fucked, I dont really even want to know.

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
Qaun was considered a zoner it was super hard to play a zoner early, if he wasnt getting the set play off you were gettingyour ass busted free so most people avoided him I think only Michelangelo placed well with him