What's new

Online Tournaments Abroad Have Begun to Ban Jacqui

Should Jacqui be banned from online tournaments?

• Total voters

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
I hope it doesn't, only because I don't want "ban character X" to turn into a future thing every time a character is deemed OP and needs nerfs. It already feels like NRS community is a bit too quick to turn to buffs/nerfs, I'd love to get away from that type of mentality.
A bit too quick? More like in Flash-speed.

NeonGroovyGator

Vampire mommy simp
This is much simpler than some people are making it out to be.
Does she have anything that's blatantly game breaking? No.
Do high level players have to play her in order to compete? Also no.
Are finals brackets in major tournaments swarmed by Jacqui and nothing else? This isn't even a ban criteria, but I'm just entertaining the possibility for the lulz. And the answer is also a resounding no.
Does arbitrarily banning shit players dislike facing hurt the competitive integrity and the high level community of a game? Absolutely yes.
So I'm honestly shocked that this dumpster fire even became a debate in the first place.
EDIT: also "muh her buttons" is just plain theorycrafting when the results don't back it up, and we all know how credible theorycrafting not backed by results is (or at least should be).

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
I hope it doesn't, only because I don't want "ban character X" to turn into a future thing every time a character is deemed OP and needs nerfs. It already feels like NRS community is a bit too quick to turn to buffs/nerfs, I'd love to get away from that type of mentality.
I can respect that.
I think they've gone to this extreme because of how slow NRS has been to patch and balance this game. And the proof vis a vis Jacqui has been there for a really long time in this game's life.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
The hell lmao. Bunch of whiny ass bitches. It's a freaking game, and they have to ban a character just to prevent people from being salty hoes. I can't, bro. Don't compete if you can't handle losses. It's easier to blame characters than it is to blame yourself.

:coffee:

She does have guaranteed dbfz pressure in mk11 tho which is something that needs more attention brought to it. An upgraded Jacqui that knows how to stagger well with her extremely good strings and frame trap can make you block for like 5 min straight lol

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
Bans should really be reserved for characters that shape the meta. Like, you better be playing this character.

That being said, yeah Jacqui needs to be toned down most likely but people could also stand to play the matchup better. Foxy demonstrated how to get around her super jump by using an advancing normal to avoid the incoming mix entirely.

The issue I have with her is that it's all on her opponent to beat her. She has so many options to just get in, she has like ten options in her blockstrings, if you guess wrong she does a bunch of unbreakable damage, and she can usually escape if you guess right. You have to make the reads, you have to shut down the neutral, and you have to spend the time in training mode to react to the right option with the right punish. Meanwhile, the Jacqui player probably got a guide on Discord. Online it's a nightmare

Should the character be banned? No that’s dumb. But I do believe that she should be nerfed sooner rather than later. The fact that the idea of banning her has gained so much traction should tell you the public opinion of this character. She’s a bit too much. Especially since all the top tiers were nerfed except for her. People feel like she carries because between all her options and her barley negative staggers it’s feels like you don’t even get to play sometimes lol. Just nerf her F3 and her F3 strings and it’s all good

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Lots of people in this thread and the other one are calling for nerfs, but I am not even certain that Jacqui needs them. Some people, even Tom in the video above, are using Final Kombat as evidence, but Jacqui's leap required no meter when the tournament was played. The character has not been very prevalent in the most recent online tournaments to deserve nerfs, much less a ban.

This is why y'all need to listen to Dave. OG perspective is an important thing to have. Keeps my paranoid ass in check.
Just do not listen to me talk about Zod and Tremor... :REO

Lots of people in this thread and the other one are calling for nerfs, but I am not even certain that Jacqui needs them. Some people, even Tom in the video above, are using Final Kombat as evidence, but Jacqui's leap required no meter when the tournament was played. The character has not been very prevalent in the most recent online tournaments to deserve nerfs, much less a ban.

Just do not listen to me talk about Zod and Tremor... :REO
I usually don't click on Tom's videos because the guy is a scumbag but this got me curious. And like he said in the video, it doesn't matter that shit costs a bar of meter if she can just walk a step forward so it doesn't. Also what's the strategy here? Backdash fullscreen until you're in the corner? You know what kind of shit she gets when she's got you in the corner?

It's a fucking MKX character in MK11 and needs to be nerfed heavily, but that's not our job. Our "job" is playing the game, having fun unless we run into her and annoying Paulo about it.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
I don't think she's that busted, but good lord is she horrible and infuriating to watch. In the end, I don't play her and don't compete, so if the net result is me enjoying tournament play more then eh, good. Fuck that bitch.

Funny thing is she practically get in for free and if she sees ur holding all her shit she can jump right out and be safe, or she can be like sike I'm going to try again before bouncing away. You have to make a read otherwise your not punishing her. She can almost air loop infinitely. Make her bounce cost meter regardless of distance. Might start to play her because she's fun, I played her in the first week for a couple weeks, but i liked Johnny more and upgraded wasn't available

Last edited:

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I usually don't click on Tom's videos because the guy is a scumbag but this got me curious. And like he said in the video, it doesn't matter that shit costs a bar of meter if she can just walk a step forward so it doesn't. Also what's the strategy here? Backdash fullscreen until you're in the corner? You know what kind of shit she gets when she's got you in the corner?
I fought Foxy's Jacqui not too long ago and I understand what the character is capable of. The truth is that players will have to conduct their own research with their own characters in order to find counter strategies. Highborn Kitana, who is my main character, can anti-air the leap effectively with an instant aerial fan toss or razors under most circumstances.

I am afraid that the community has always needed a boogie man, and the dice landed on Jacqui's name again despite the fact that some characters enjoyed as much as, if not more, tournament success than Jacqui post Final Kombat.

Edit: Rooflemonger's perspective.

Last edited:

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
I mean, I’m not even convinced Jacqui actually needs nerfs. In terms of top tiers, she’s not even that overpowered. I’m not convinced she’s even the best in the game right now.

Maybe a slight damage nerf? I dunno, she’s nowhere near broken.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I mean, I’m not even convinced Jacqui actually needs nerfs. In terms of top tiers, she’s not even that overpowered. I’m not convinced she’s even the best in the game right now.

Maybe a slight damage nerf? I dunno, she’s nowhere near broken.
Damage was my original thought for how best to nerf her, even before the leap nerf.

The idea being that people were complaining that the game doesn't have enough playstyles/every character played the same. Then they added Upgraded and people were like "She doesn't play the same game as everybody else!!", and most of the suggested nerfs are aimed at her playstyle.

If you focus on toning down her damage, you can allow her to keep her unique playstyle, while still forcing her to work a bit harder for what she gets.