What's new

Online play is useful to an extent

Noob
I like both the DS and 360 versions, MAME has too many issues IMO
The only real issue with Mame is that it's more difficult to configure the controller... but once you get used to it, it's cake. Mame plays the original game, not a port... so any issues are issues that you'd have in the arcade as well.

SANS POWER

Banned
There's hardly any jumping offline in high level matches, there's usually no reason to jump. Also as stated by myself and Shock, the aaRH is actually a lot harder to do online than offline. Whether you accept that or not is up to you.
Exactly, no reason to freely jump offline. When you're playing someone with tons of delay online there isn't much to do, especially if you're not use to a delayed connection 90% of the time like you and people from other countries. If aaRH was so hard to perform than explain why most European players and yourself have that down to a T when you anticipate it against players with a delayed connection. Shock doesn't play UMK3 on XBLA enough, no offense Shock. You're a good player, I've seen your matches on youtube and I also have nothing but respect for you as you're one of the few people that keep this game alive, but when it comes down to it you don't play online nearly as much as I do. You can look at my score under SANS POWER, I've played nearly 20k games. I agree that aaHP's are harder to do with a delayed connection, but aaRH is a lot easier. I watch people fall for this trick all the time and it's more effective offline as players wouldn't force themselves into jumping to close in the distance. They would approach them with a run or just by walking and block a teleporting punch, instead of guessing when they're going to do it as a lagged connection forces you to guess an opponent's move in some circumstances.

Not one person who actually plays UMK3 at high levels will say DS is the best port. It's the fastest port with sped up gameplay, that doesn't make it the best. In fact that's one of the reasons it's shitty, as I already have mentioned. Implying that I must be smoking something or that I lack research because you're all fanboy for UMK on the DS doesn't really help anything. Just fyi.
I'm not a fan boy for the port, I've only played it a handful of times and the gameplay was nearly perfect. The XBLA version of UMK3 is slowed down and has frames cut out of it to enhance online gameplay. That's why I'm telling you to do your own research before you just side with someone else.

Wi-Fi adds to the lag because there's usually more than one person on the connection to make it unreliable. Direct plug-in is always recommended over wireless for any gaming application. I use Wi-Fi for XBL and when I use an ethernet cord instead, the difference is clearly noticeable. I just can't use ethernet all the time because my main router isn't near my room.
The Wi-Fi on DS is better than 360's wireless connection, especially when you're using the old xboxs with a wireless adapter. I'm not going to continue on that any further, because I never said xbox wi-fi is better than direct plug-in, I was talking about the DS's wi-fi and only the DS's Wi-Fi.

Again, I think UMK3 on Kaillera is the best version of UMK3 you can play, especially if you get everything programmed correctly as it plays the original arcade game as Phil mentioned. I think the DS version of UMK3 is better than the xbox version because they made few changes, the speed difference on XBLA is slower and it feels sluggish. Don't even think about playing that game on a LCD tv or any flatscreen as it'll feel like you're MKII. Whether you agree or not, the DS version is a better port of UMK3 than the XBLA, it's nearly flawless and wasn't edited nearly as much as UMK3 on XBLA was.

I like UMK3 on xbox, but when I play UMK3 on mame I can't stand playing on xbox. Mame is faster, you can tell how xbox got some frames cut out and if you got good internet then mame is the best way to play. DS to me is second best and the only thing that really keeps the xbox version alive is the fact more people play it on there and how you can socialize with people and the matchmaking, which got fucked up, but is now fixed again.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
@Juggernaut, far from true dude....I mean cogncerning your Xbox is better then DS point, both lag, both are online and both have rage quitters..as far as I'm concerned, they're the same at the end of the day. At times I've actuallly had better conn on DS believe it or not.

The only real issue with Mame is that it's more difficult to configure the controller... but once you get used to it, it's cake. Mame plays the original game, not a port... so any issues are issues that you'd have in the arcade as well.
Yeah, I was referring to the set up, controller config etc. Last time I tried it, man it kept giving me "corrupt rom" errors constantly, freezing my PC so I said screw it lol.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Sans, whether you play 2,000 games, or 20,000 games, even 200 games, or 20 games, is enough to understand what is wrong with netplay. I've been playing UMK3 online in various forms for over 8 years now, before I could even fully emulate it. You could play 2 million games and it wouldn't change the facts presented to you.

SANS POWER

Banned
Sans, whether you play 2,000 games, or 20,000 games, even 200 games, or 20 games, is enough to understand what is wrong with netplay. I've been playing UMK3 online in various forms for over 8 years now, before I could even fully emulate it. You could play 2 million games and it wouldn't change the facts presented to you.
Shock, I'm not trying to challenge your knowledge of the game. I'm not even going to argue with you because I know that you know more about the game, even as far as netplay goes.

So here, I'm going to lay it out on the table.

Here are the facts and for the sake of this response, I'm going to be using Chorizo DU 16 as the example.

There's no denying the fact that most European players, Chorizo for instances are going to run into players from North America, I guarantee 75% or more of the time. That's just the name of the game, so with that being said, Chorizo has become a custom to the lag and is able to use it to his advantage against players who are less experienced with it. For me, 95% of the time I'm playing people with a perfect or decent connection, but when I run into that 5% of people, either from Mexico, Europe or wherever it may be that is giving me a delay, I'm not able to play to my fullest. Now, I've been in a room where there were both Americans and Frenchmen in the room with Chorizo. I've seen how he plays up against both people, he struggles more with people from his own country because he has to re-adjust to the connection and now the other player is able to play to his full potential. When you get use to a delayed connection, you're whole timing is based around that speed, is it not? This is why you don't play online, because of lag. You have yet to accept my casual matches online, but the point is you'd rather not play online, because honestly who wants to play with lag?

The aaRH isn't harder to perform if you're use to a delayed connection, it isn't in the least bit. You're timing is based around the speed, when you go up against someone who isn't use to that speed, you're able to take advantage of the fact they aren't use to the lag. Players aren't going to jump around like crazy offline, especially experienced ones. They're not going to jump from across the screen to close in the distance, they're not going to stop running mid way to guess when a teleporting punch is going to happen and block. The little aaRH punisher combo that Chorizo and Juggs loves to use wouldn't have as much success with players offline and I'm sure you know that. Whether you guys want to call it a lag technique or not, players who are use to a delayed connection have that advantage over someone who never really plays with lag. I've never seen either Juggs or Chorizo start a combo without using the aaRH to start the combo. It's just like when someone stands there and presses punch and blocks, it's a good technique, but it's not as effective offline. You're not going to be as worried for surprise attacks, because once you see or hear something you can block it, instead of guessing when a attack might happen.

You guys think what you want, but that's how I see it, I've flawless babied Juggs before and that was when is connection wasn't delayed, but once it starts kicking in. I'll hold out my white flag, I can't fuck with lag, I'm not going to get use to it at all. Like a wiseman once told me, that whole a customed to lag bullshit is just a security blanket and further proves your online strictly status.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
You are challenging my knowledge by suggesting a very tactic, that I myself exploit to the fullest offline and have a hard time utilizing online, is an online tactic, or enhanced by netplay. Don't blame the netplay conditions for you jumping in situations you know are unsafe. Even I get hit by extremely well timed aaRH combos offline. The reason why it's harder is because when you see the person jump, you have to attempt the RH sooner than you would offline, and the timing to react is less than one half second, so that means you have about 1/4 second to time the same thing online. That's why it's harder online. You can turtle all day, you still have less time to react online. Believe me, I cannot stand the jumping around from people online, it's very easily punishable offline, but these players are use to the advantage of timing on their side from the cause part of cause and effect. The effect part of anything is hindered, ie: escaping or countering run jabs, counter something blocked that only has 1/4 second, and if you have 1/8 second delay it almost cancels your counter timing. You aren't countering anything when you jump in, so I give kudos to players who can consistently time aaRH combos online vs jumpy players. Even offline I will get snuffed by a JK or a JP if they don't throw it out immediately. But that's what happens man.

Edit: and let's not forget, playing against people from Europe and Mexico is absolutely "useless" no matter how good they are. You cannot learn from that much distance causing delay.

SANS POWER

Banned
You are challenging my knowledge by suggesting a very tactic, that I myself exploit to the fullest offline and have a hard time utilizing online, is an online tactic, or enhanced by netplay. Don't blame the netplay conditions for you jumping in situations you know are unsafe. Even I get hit by extremely well timed aaRH combos offline. The reason why it's harder is because when you see the person jump, you have to attempt the RH sooner than you would offline, and the timing to react is less than one half second, so that means you have about 1/4 second to time the same thing online. That's why it's harder online. You can turtle all day, you still have less time to react online. Believe me, I cannot stand the jumping around from people online, it's very easily punishable offline, but these players are use to the advantage of timing on their side from the cause part of cause and effect. The effect part of anything is hindered, ie: escaping or countering run jabs, counter something blocked that only has 1/4 second, and if you have 1/8 second delay it almost cancels your counter timing. You aren't countering anything when you jump in, so I give kudos to players who can consistently time aaRH combos online vs jumpy players. Even offline I will get snuffed by a JK or a JP if they don't throw it out immediately. But that's what happens man.
You're obviously not going to agree with me, I really don't care, I'm just letting you know it's a tactic that can easily be done if you are use to a delayed connection. Like I said, you can think what you want and Juggs and everyone else can thank your thoughtful remarks on whether or not you guys believe it's an online tactic. I assure you, that tactic can easily be done if you master a laggy connection, like I said my man, tournaments are your realm, xbox live IS NOT. That's not to say that that UMK3 online counts at all, but I'm just speaking from the truth and that's what seems to get me in trouble. You can master aaRH, especially if you're turtling from across the screen, I'm not saying jumping is the only option, but with a laggy connection, you don't have very many options. Not to mention the fact offline or with a decent/perfect connection you're not worried about surprise attacks.

20,000 games vs 5,000 games speaks for itself my man

You're a good guy, but I'm not going to sit here and agree with you like some other people might just to get on your good side. I've been playing MK my whole life, I'm not an MK guru, but when I see something and I know it's true than that's how I see it. Anybody can master a laggy connection and time out aaRH, if you're going to sit here and deny that then you obviously don't know as much as you think you do. I'm very well familiar with UMK3 on XBLA, I can tell you things I notice from players all over the world. I can sit here and talk days to you about playing styles and things I've noticed players do that a lot of people don't. I'm telling you, go ahead and pick the sticks up and play people from Europe, that tactic is exploited and abused because it's extreamly easy to do when you've masted a laggy connection, end of story.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
This conversation speaks failure in many dimentions. Online should not be acknowledged. Either get with the program and start playing offline, or gtfo. None of this will help anybody in future tournaments, and those who do not believe it to be true, are signed up for failure.

SANS POWER

Banned
This conversation speaks failure in many dimentions. Online should not be acknowledged. Either get with the program and start playing offline, or gtfo. None of this will help anybody in future tournaments, and those who do not believe it to be true, are signed up for failure.
"That's not to say that that UMK3 online counts at all, but I'm just speaking from the truth and that's what seems to get me in trouble." - SANS POWER

Isn't this thread supposed to talk about how online play is useful to an extent?

MRIGOTBASS

"That's not to say that that UMK3 online counts at all, but I'm just speaking from the truth and that's what seems to get me in trouble." - SANS POWER

Isn't this thread supposed to talk about how online play is useful to an extent?
Sans, I really think you may be flamebaiting right now. Slow your roll homie.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder

Sure, but at the end of the day, it only proves to be the opposite.

Lag-Tactics will get us nowhere, so why acknowledge them? I'm sure a smart guy like yourself understands this.

Nobody cares about an XBL player who claims to be the best. If you want to be known, win a tournament or at least show up, real talk.

MRIGOTBASS

Lag-Tactics will get us nowhere, so why acknowledge them? I'm sure a smart guy like yourself understands this.

Nobody cares about an XBL player who claims to be the best. If you want to be known, win a tournament or at least show up, real talk.
Online versions of this game are what brings a majority of the players to this site. Online players then might become into it enough to go to a tourney. I can assure you without online gaming your room at the hotel would have a fraction of what is there as well as this site.

I can gaurentee that there are plenty of people from XBL that would probably come to a live event however because of the general attitude that the majority of people portray on these forums, they dont want to get involved, who would ?

You do not need to be a damn genius to play the game offline, quit acting like its so hard. Its the same game. If people got good online, they can get good offline and vice versa. I can say the same thing for online play, I gaurentee that the offline players step into the online domain they will get smashed out at first as well.

You guys really need to tone down the attitudes or nobody will want to fuck with you. You really expect some teens/young adults feel comfortable to go to a live event when people have this shit attitudes online.

Dark_Rob

Noob
You do not need to be a damn genius to play the game offline, quit acting like its so hard. Its the same game. If people got good online, they can get good offline and vice versa. I can say the same thing for online play, I gaurentee that the offline players step into the online domain they will get smashed out at first as well.

You guys really need to tone down the attitudes or nobody will want to fuck with you. You really expect some teens/young adults feel comfortable to go to a live event when people have this shit attitudes online.
Why would we want to play online when we can play offline?? Your statement could be true but to what purpose? Were talking about an imaginary version of the game that only exists online. Its not real. Also Bone's "attitude" as you say, isnt an attitude at all. One of this sites MAIN goals is to promote offline play and he is doing what he has always done, trying to educate people. That becomes hard to do when you have people arguing the validity(or even relevancy) of online play. If you read back through this thread a little you will see weve agreed that online play may have some small value. But its so small and insignificant it isnt really worth talking about.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
Online versions of this game are what brings a majority of the players to this site. Online players then might become into it enough to go to a tourney. I can assure you without online gaming your room at the hotel would have a fraction of what is there as well as this site.
This site was created to cater to the tournament scene, and to let players network through our forums.

I advertise just as much as I do on here, at any event I attend. Where it matters most.

I can gaurentee that there are plenty of people from XBL that would probably come to a live event however because of the general attitude that the majority of people portray on these forums, they dont want to get involved, who would ?
What general attitude? The majority of the people on this forum, or at least those who host, or help host tournaments are very nice people. It is the majority of the online players who choose to become keyboard warriors simply because they will not be seen at an event. If you want to go, you will attend, period.

Then learn the game offline and beat those who you claim you can beat. The saying, "Put up, or shut up," comes to mind.

Like I said before, nobody cares about online. Its an inconsistent way to play, if online players feel they need inconsistency to win, then so be it. Live a lie and stay away from tournaments.

*Translation*

Lie and tell the kids online is cool.

Am I right? Because if thats the case, then no.

I can assure you, these people are nice, so I really don't know where you are going with this.

MRIGOTBASS

Why would we want to play online when we can play offline?? Your statement could be true but to what purpose? Were talking about an imaginary version of the game that only exists online. Its not real. Also Bone's "attitude" as you say, isnt an attitude at all. One of this sites MAIN goals is to promote offline play and he is doing what he has always done, trying to educate people. That becomes hard to do when you have people arguing the validity(or even relevancy) of online play. If you read back through this thread a little you wii see weve agreed that online play may have some small value. But its so small and insignificant it isnt really worth talking about.
Somehow I am not supprised whatsoever. But Ill bite.

Imaginary version of the game? You have 15 people show up to a tournament. There are what 200,000 gamertags on the XBL leaderboard. To me it seems that your little tourney crew is the minority? Again I am sure this will get flipped on me, but I don't care. Fact remains that ONLINE is what populates your tournament. Other than the couple of people that are from NY/NJ that know each other everyone else learned of your tournaments from some form of online play. Chew on that for a minute before arguing some wild point that I am sure will be pulled out or nowhere.

Validity of online play? Whats the Validity of your tournament? Dude the shits 15 players deep how can you say that proves anything. I mean If there was 50+ high end players it would be a diffrent story. I really would not feel accomplished that I beat 15 people, knowing damn well that there are people out there that would smash me but just were not there. If your looking for validation, I understand and that totally cements your argument about online play. You are not in this for fun but for validation. Wow!!

The people that come to this site for the majority are online players, fact. If people keep putting down online players as some second rate players and that there skills are not valid your efforts of promoting your offline games are being wasted.

I personally will come to your tourney, and give me a day of casual matches and I gaurentee I will place top 1-5. I am going to do my best to bring Sans P as well because I personally think dude will dig in a majority of the "High" end players asses as well.

Again not trying to start shit, but goddam people need to realize you are putting down the very people that you are trying to get to come to your shit.

Holla Swalla!

Ben

MRIGOTBASS

This site was created to cater to the tournament scene, and to let players network through our forums.

If you want to go, you will attend, period. "Put up, or shut up," comes to mind.
Player I did show up, NEC took 5th place only played 3 warm up games against the dude who i lost to, babied him all 3 times. Don't worry about me showing up, If I say I will show up best believe I will. I just take offense to people acting like because we play online its not valid.

Dark_Rob

Noob

Imaginary version of the game? You have 15 people show up to a tournament. There are what 200,000 gamertags on the XBL leaderboard. To me it seems that your little tourney crew is the minority? Again I am sure this will get flipped on me, but I don't care. Fact remains that ONLINE is what populates your tournament. Other than the couple of people that are from NY/NJ that know each other everyone else learned of your tournaments from some form of online play. Chew on that for a minute before arguing some wild point that I am sure will be pulled out or nowhere.

Validity of online play? Whats the Validity of your tournament? Dude the shits 15 players deep how can you say that proves anything. I mean If there was 50+ high end players it would be a diffrent story. I really would not feel accomplished that I beat 15 people, knowing damn well that there are people out there that would smash me but just were not there. If your looking for validation, I understand and that totally cements your argument about online play. You are not in this for fun but for validation. Wow!!

The people that come to this site for the majority are online players, fact. If people keep putting down online players as some second rate players and that there skills are not valid your efforts of promoting your offline games are being wasted.

I personally will come to your tourney, and give me a day of casual matches and I gaurentee I will place top 1-5. I am going to do my best to bring Sans P as well because I personally think dude will dig in a majority of the "High" end players asses as well.

Again not trying to start shit, but goddam people need to realize you are putting down the very people that you are trying to get to come to your shit.

Holla Swalla!

Ben
You have misinterpreted just about everything i said, as well as a few things I didnt say. I have never said that there are more people playing in tournaments then are online. Its quite the opposite. And that could be said about every fighting game, not just UMK3. And if playing online is one thing that gets people down to tournaments, so be it. I have admitted online can have some small use and that can be one of them. Also it is not the players that play online that i question the validity of, nor am I saying said players could not be good(or even great) It is the medium in which they play(namely online) I call into question. It is not the true version of the game in which it was meant to be played. It is a corruption of the truth. A pale shadow of the real thing. No where did I say anything about the players that are unfortunate enough to have to play this way. And I truly hope more of these good and great online players can start coming to more tournaments and offline casuals.
See, we are not enemies, Im sure we both want the same thing, to see the UMK3 scene become the best scene it can possibly be. We both know that can never happen online, So should not both our goals be one and the same? To get more people at tournaments? Is this not the best way to make the scene grow?

SANS POWER

Banned

This thread was made to discuss online tactics, it clearly states "Online play is useful to an extent" if you don't want people discussing online tactics then close the damn thread. Anybody who has a different opinion on something gets their balls busted, thinking differently on forums like this is strongly discouraged I'm guessing??

Believe me, I'll show up to this tournament, all I had to stay was discuss a simple tactic that gets exploited online by players who are use to lag. I'm meeting Ben half way there and we're traveling to the tournament, I'm not going to sit here and say I'm the best. Whether it's offline or online because there is always someone out there who's better. I was trying to prove a point, this thread was created to discuss topics like the one I posted. If you don't want to discuss this topic, then what are you doing on this thread?

Don't you guys call that "trolling"? Does that earn you infraction points or what?

Dark_Rob

Noob
This thread was made to discuss online tactics, it clearly states "Online play is useful to an extent" if you don't want people discussing online tactics then close the damn thread. Anybody who has a different opinion on something gets their balls busted, thinking differently on forums like this is strongly discouraged I'm guessing??

Believe me, I'll show up to this tournament, all I had to stay was discuss a simple tactic that gets exploited online by players who are use to lag. I'm meeting Ben half way there and we're traveling to the tournament, I'm not going to sit here and say I'm the best. Whether it's offline or online because there is always someone out there who's better. I was trying to prove a point, this thread was created to discuss topics like the one I posted. If you don't want to discuss this topic, then what are you doing on this thread?

Don't you guys call that "trolling"? Does that earn you infraction points or what?
First, dont presume to tell us what we call trolling or or what earns infraction points. Your flame-baiting one of the sites administrators so my advice is to drop that right now.
Second, this thread was never about discussiong online tactics. It was about the relevancy(if any) online has relating to how it translates to offline play, not about online tactics and what they matter in the online world. The online world simply isnt important enough to bother talking about. Also no one has any problem with you or anyone else having they're own opinion or thinking differently here. Just be aware when you think differently about something that is almost universally thought of differently, people will obviously have something to say about it.

MRIGOTBASS

First, dont presume to tell us what we call trolling or or what earns infraction points. Your flame-baiting one of the sites administrators so my advice is to drop that right now.
Second, this thread was never about discussiong online tactics. It was about the relevancy(if any) online has relating to how it translates to offline play, not about online tactics and what they matter in the online world. The online world simply isnt important enough to bother talking about. Also no one has any problem with you or anyone else having they're own opinion or thinking differently here. Just be aware when you think differently about something that is almost universally thought of differently, people will obviously have something to say about it.
Rob its all good my dude, we will play in person. 3 weeks.

And Sans P, quit flame-baiting everyone your acting like a real asshole.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder

200,000 online players do not validate online-play. I'm sorry if you believe that, but its apparent that you are blind.

The more tournaments that are hosted, the bigger these tournaments will get. I personally would not feel accomplished about having a gamertag on those XBL leaderboards because they mean nothing.

Nobody is saying online players do not have the ability to be good. We are saying that they are not showing it by simply not showing up.

Great, I will be watching the stream from home. I will be cheering for both of you, I promise.

Holla Swalla!

Ben
So far, I see none of that. Maybe you should reevaluate what you mean by "Putting people down," because if by that you mean, "Online means the world," then say so, so we can correct you.

Player I did show up, NEC took 5th place only played 3 warm up games against the dude who i lost to, babied him all 3 times. Don't worry about me showing up, If I say I will show up best believe I will. I just take offense to people acting like because we play online its not valid.
Online is not valid, period.

Congratulations on taking 5th at NEC, I mean it. I will be watching the stream this next time.

I'm sorry, I missed the part where, "Online play is useful to an extent," meant "Discuss online tactics, and agree that they are valid."

A positive discussion is encouraged, but it seems that correcting you obviously hit a nerve. Relax, guy.

The thread was to discuss how online was useful to an extent, and we cleared the air a few pages back already.

Discussing Lag-Tactics is the opposite of online being useful. Understanding how something works online simply will not help you in an offline tournament.

Other than that, I suggest you do relax when you make a post.

SANS POWER

Banned
First off, I'm not flame-baiting anybody, my comments are completely relevant to this post. Just talking about a tactic that works with people who are use to a delay. I was simply stating the fact that if you don't like the thread then why come back to it and respond to it? This thread says "Online play is useful to an extent" and the tactic I pointed it out is useful online if you're good with lag and the other player isn't, that's it. No one is "flame-baiting" anybody, especially not me. If I went on a thread and posted shit like "why are you guys discussing this? It's irrelevant?" and kept coming back and doing it, I'd be "trolling" or "flame-baiting"...

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
First off, I'm not flame-baiting anybody, my comments are completely relevant to this post. Just talking about a tactic that works with people who are use to a delay. I was simply stating the fact that if you don't like the thread then why come back to it and respond to it? This thread says "Online play is useful to an extent" and the tactic I pointed it out is useful online if you're good with lag and the other player isn't, that's it. No one is "flame-baiting" anybody, especially not me. If I went on a thread and posted shit like "why are you guys discussing this? It's irrelevant?" and kept coming back and doing it, I'd be "trolling" or "flame-baiting"...
Again, relax guy.

And to correct you on that. This thread was not about Lag-Tactics that could be useful in online-play. It was about online being useful in regards to tournament play, or the overall development of the player.