What's new

Online play is useful to an extent

fleshmasher

i got the poison
For me, online play (i played SC4 online a lot, playtime counter stopped @ 999.59.59h) was:

1. Really Fun with many cool people.
2. Not very useful in a competitive sense. I went to 2 tournaments in germany and lost quite badly.

Bad habits i developed from online play:

1. Not being able to lay down "online etiquette" when playing offline.

2. Inputting commands trying to punish or Guard Impact too early offline.
Moves just don't come out. or GI whiffs

3. Abusing, and failing with, lag frametraps. Sorry i play Taki :)

And i tried to play online only on good connection.
It still messed up my timing.
But there's also the possibility that i'm just a scrub. Style over skill, stuff like that you know.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
@cgerr: I am not buying much of what you said, it sounds as if you wouldn't even travel if there was access to good offline comp. I have yet to play to play someone good offline but I will guarantee playing the matches I have played online I have gained more then enough experience to hold my own offline.

Online is not bad if you check your ego and don't play randoms or ranked, its the same with t6 your gonna get lag and scrubs. I don't think its bad at all actually, I can punish damn near everything thats punishable and do every combo I can offline online(obviously not as consistent).

Where are you from?

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
The sad thing is: my combos worked better online. Messed up timing offline :(
Ha, I know what you mean bro. I play kano and you have to dash pause 212 some of his combos and online its just dash 212.

Gotta keep goin back to the lab to practice keeping your timing in check, online is a pain but it is what you make of it.

cgerrr

Tourney id: Gfc_alekS
@Sutter Pain
@Lady Death

Ok, guys I’m not really digging your condescending tone, but we’re all not without a flaw, so whatever. However, problem and my arguments about it still stand:

Bad online of any fighting game defeats the purpose of that fighting game for many people (I would say for most people actually), because there isn’t any other way for those people to be competitive.

As for my location: I live in Ukraine, which doesn’t have any notable fighting game community, thus there is no point in traveling within the Country. And my month salary is 120$, which is pretty normal for my town now. So go figure if it’s reasonable for me to one time travel abroad (after a long period of saving) for some tourney with circumstances like that.

P.s. I don’t need to check my ego, because I don’t play ranked since I tried it in T6BR.

UPR_Nova

Noob
Both sides are correct. For characters that combo heavily in the air, your timing can be messed up. For others, such as Sub, you can fight through the lag for combos, but still get punished when trying to "just fight." However, the only thing you should remember is: ONLINE IS 3,000 TIMES BETTER THAN PLAYING THE BEAST ASS AI THAT BLOCKS NOT ONLY MY ATTACKS, BUT MY SOUL FROM BEING AT EASE :evil: Yes, I agree that online can mess you up, but for those of us that do not have anyone to play offline with (raises hand) online has at least a little benefit. Hey, Expert Shao Kahn... :fuckyou:

I'll probably be going to Nashville, so if I get waxed there, then I can officially say that I will never get on the extreme competitive level. I think there are two people in my city that can play with any skill whatsoever, and one of them uses Sheeva :D

~NAKM~

Tekken, SF4: AE, BB: CP, and Persona 4: Arena
This entire thread seems like deja vu to me. 0_o I can't speak for MK9, but online creates bad habits, P E R I O D ! At least for T6.

The lag online in this is terrible. I can play any shooter and many other fighters very smoothly online, but not MK. Also it seems people are abusing the lag because they just spam Sheeva stomp or Scorpion spear.

Some matches I get don't lag at all and others are just horrible. So it just shows this is very inconsistent, oh and you can forget about king of the hill lol.

Though I still love playing this game, the lag is a big drawback. It doesn't kill the game for me at all though.

As far as online creating bad habits, it depends on who your playing. If your using ranked mode to get your skills up, maybe you shouldn't. When I want to get better I do player matches with friends who play very well.

tehm

Noob
Both sides are correct. For characters that combo heavily in the air, your timing can be messed up. For others, such as Sub, you can fight through the lag for combos, but still get punished when trying to "just fight." However, the only thing you should remember is: ONLINE IS 3,000 TIMES BETTER THAN PLAYING THE BEAST ASS AI THAT BLOCKS NOT ONLY MY ATTACKS, BUT MY SOUL FROM BEING AT EASE :evil: Yes, I agree that online can mess you up, but for those of us that do not have anyone to play offline with (raises hand) online has at least a little benefit. Hey, Expert Shao Kahn... :fuckyou:

I'll probably be going to Nashville, so if I get waxed there, then I can officially say that I will never get on the extreme competitive level. I think there are two people in my city that can play with any skill whatsoever, and one of them uses Sheeva :D

<.<

Really?

Now I'll admit, I'm a CPU fanboy. I spend ~90% of my time in practice mode->AI->Expert practicing counters/punishes/match-ups/etc... I can't get enough of it. Due to this, it's entirely possible that much like with any training partner you get used to them and you learn their specific idiosyncracies and get better at playing against them than against anyone else... But I have to ask: The AI is too hard?!?

Surely this can't be the general consensus.

Mind=blown. =\

EDIT: And you're welcome to come down to Knox-Vegas any time man. I'm dying for some offline competition. =(

AI is too easy when it reads your inputs. Seriously you can fake out the cpu so easily, just input d,f motion with no attack button and it will act as if you just fired a fireball.

I prefer human players because you get to see how real people react to your attacks. It's good to play the CPU every once in a while, but it does not react the way a real person would.

Online isn't "useless". Anyone who thinks this is a fool.

Without online community and online tournaments, SSF4 wouldn't be what it is now. And without a good online, the general MK community will never EVER be able to expand, improve their game and evolve. That's the truth sisters. Wether you like it or not, offline and online are deeply related to each other.

Of course it's better to play offline for serious tournaments and stuff. It's a no brainer. But to say that online if completely useless is just dumb and not understanding the importance of it.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
The most important part about MK9 online is that the timing for combos and recovery of moves is exactly the same online as it is offline. This alone makes it 10x better than mkd/a/dc. It's just that the connections are so bad that it's unplayable.

The upcoming patch is supposedly going to fix online...but if it is a fix where it goes back to the bs that was mkd/a/dc online, then I will never play online again.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
I don't really see the point of these debates. Not all of us have the time to travel across states, take time off work, etc when we do not have a good local fighting scene in town. I'd certainly enjoy having one, don't get me wrong, but a good deal of us do not have that luxury. Do I feel that offline is ultimately better? Yes. But, some of us just don't have that option, so we make do with the online for now. I can either play against the computer, or other good players online, those're my current options.

In my experience, if you can find a good connection with another respectful player, then it's fine for casuals and basic strats. I don't feel that online is by any means on a tournament level, but the majority of us probably won't be entering tournaments. Even if I enter a local tournament in town, it's going to be casuals. This game hasn't hit the point of SSF4/MVC3 where everyone is one with their characters of choice, there's a small handful of people, but the majority hasn't quite gotten to that point.

Once the game's been out for a year or so, these discussions will be a lot more sensible, likely the online will be improved by then as well. Perhaps more interest will be shown in the game as well and it'll be easier to find local players. Just give it some time.

SF4 had a pretty lousy netcode initially too, MVC3 still has a lousy netcode. I certainly think that MK9 will have a netcode better than MVC3 at the very least in the near future. I can understand the frustration of MK9 not being on the level of SSF4 immediately after launch, but it's unrealistic to demand that of them. We'll see what happens with the patch.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Online isn't "useless". Anyone who thinks this is a fool.

Without online community and online tournaments, SSF4 wouldn't be what it is now. And without a good online, the general MK community will never EVER be able to expand, improve their game and evolve. That's the truth sisters. Wether you like it or not, offline and online are deeply related to each other.

Of course it's better to play offline for serious tournaments and stuff. It's a no brainer. But to say that online if completely useless is just dumb and not understanding the importance of it.
You're very correct, while I don't have a viable fighting scene in my current town/state that I'm aware of, I've met people here which do have viable fighting scenes in neighboring states. Once the online improves, I could learn a lot from these people and if they were holding a tournament in a neighboring state then I'd begin highly considering going to them!

Why

Noob
I play online for fun.

Better than not playing at all, especially when I can only play against humans offline once every two weeks or so.

Sorry to sort of necro this thread. Online can be extremely unbearable (especially king of the hill). I find that 75% of my 1v1 matches online are good games the rest are lag fests that blow. For me online play is probaly the only competitive play i will see, i dont have money,time, to travel around to play offline for a few hours. I think the offline tourneys benefit from the online play and MK overrall benefits from offline tourneys. I think MK9 is 3rd or 4th in most active users playing on Xbox live, and it plays a role in hyping up tournaments, but offline tournaments cater to a niche crowd that is well in the minority. I know im new here and i dont have alot of experience with fighting games but it just seems lag kills fighting games to the point where your have to play offline to be 100%. Just my ramblings and bad punctuation.