What's new

Official TYM UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship) Discussion

Mt. Mutombo

Asshole by nature
Shit on Lesnar all you want but he KO'd Couture, Mir and submitted Carwin. So he finished 2 people you have in your top 10...

My HW top 10 looks like this:

1. Cain
2. Cormier
3. JDS
4. Bigfoot
5.Werdum
6. Overeem
7. Mir
8. Barnett
9. Big Nog
10. Struve
I'll give you the mir fight.

But as far as Couture and Carwin goes...

As beastly as Couture was, he looked like a little kid next to Lesnar, they sent him to die in there. And a lot of people i know speculate that might have been a thrown fight to build up the Lesnar sensation, which i believe is credible.

And lbsh, i still have the Carwin fight on my computer, and any other referee would of stopped that fight immediately when Carwin had him on the floor, he wasn't defending intelligently when carwin unleashed the kraken on him, which should have been a KO.

I'll always compare Lesnar to Dwight Howard...all athlete no talent. Got by just because he was manufactured in a lab... So no, i don't think Lesnar was good. Im a purist, i like skill and talent, so maybe im a bit biased on that matter.

CitizenSnips

A seldom used crab named Lucky. AKA Citizen Snips.
I'll give you the mir fight.

But as far as Couture and Carwin goes...

As beastly as Couture was, he looked like a little kid next to Lesnar, they sent him to die in there. And a lot of people i know speculate that might have been a thrown fight to build up the Lesnar sensation, which i believe is credible.

And lbsh, i still have the Carwin fight on my computer, and any other referee would of stopped that fight immediately when Carwin had him on the floor, he wasn't defending intelligently when carwin unleashed the kraken on him, which should have been a KO.

I'll always compare Lesnar to Dwight Howard...all athlete no talent. Got by just because he was manufactured in a lab... So no, i don't think Lesnar was good. Im a purist, i like skill and talent, so maybe im a bit biased on that matter.
I disagree. First of all, Couture taking a dive is dumb. He got punched right on the temple, it was actually quite similar to how Bigfoot initially hurt Overreem.

And I do agree that Lesnar v. Carwin COULD have been stopped. But at the end of the first round Lesnar took Carwin down. It's not like Lesnar was saved by the bell. In the end of the day I think the ref made the right call since Lesnar showed that he was still in the fight. I'm not even a Lesnar fan, but I think he gets hated on a bit too much. He did not like to get it, you can tell his inexperience really showed when he was getting beat on by Cain and Overeem. But that's mainly due to lack of experience and imo his training camps did not expose him to what it's like to get your ass beat. He could have been great but ultimately joined MMA too late.

Death

Noob
I disagree. First of all, Couture taking a dive is dumb. He got punched right on the temple, it was actually quite similar to how Bigfoot initially hurt Overreem.

And I do agree that Lesnar v. Carwin COULD have been stopped. But at the end of the first round Lesnar took Carwin down. It's not like Lesnar was saved by the bell. In the end of the day I think the ref made the right call since Lesnar showed that he was still in the fight. I'm not even a Lesnar fan, but I think he gets hated on a bit too much. He did not like to get it, you can tell his inexperience really showed when he was getting beat on by Cain and Overeem. But that's mainly due to lack of experience and imo his training camps did not expose him to what it's like to get your ass beat. He could have been great but ultimately joined MMA too late.
100% agree. Lesnar had the wrestling background which is huge. Most important base to have in MMA imo. He also had freakish size and strength and speed to go with it. His illness hurt him and the fact he started too late in life was his downfall. If he got into MMA right after University instead of WWE he could of been the best. So much potential there. No heavyweight in the history of MMA is even close to how gifted he was. Its a shame what happened really

CitizenSnips

100% agree. Lesnar had the wrestling background which is huge. Most important base to have in MMA imo. He also had freakish size and strength and speed to go with it. His illness hurt him and the fact he started too late in life was his downfall. If he got into MMA right after University instead of WWE he could of been the best. So much potential there. No heavyweight in the history of MMA is even close to how gifted he was. Its a shame what happened really
Yeah physically he had the tools to be a monster. Even in his KO losses, he didn't really get KTFO, he just sucked at defending himself. So it's not like he had a bad chin or anything. I also strongly believe if he joined a better MMA team he would have done much better. All of the training I've seen of him, he's always beating his training partners up. There have been interviews with some of his former training partners that said that Lesnar gets pissed if he gets hit in training and they don't let training partners beat him up. Part of learning is getting your ass kicked. If you don't know how to face adversity then it will bite you in the ass.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I agree about Lesnar even though I didn't like the guy. He definitely wrecked some shit during his time in UFC. Overeem deserves props and is definitely top 10 despite losing tonight. Yeah the upset was awesome but you can't pretend Overeem didn't dominate him throughout the first two rounds.

Bigfoot HAS to be put in top 10 too now, I don't know why you wouldn't have that. I'd at least put him over Struve and Nelson right now after two big wins.

I was rooting for Aldo, but I had Edgar winning rounds 3+4 with round 5 being a tossup with a slight edge to Edgar. IMO it should've been at least a 48-47 instead of the two 49-46's. But this is based on points, and I thought Aldo was the better fighter tonight so I won't complain.

I doubt Rashad's done but Dana's probably pretty pissed at him over such a lackluster performance.

Benavidez looked great tonight and I agree he should be in line for another shot at Mighty Mouse. Maybe have him fight Dodson first but I think he's ready.

As much as I love Korean Zombie, I don't think he deserves Aldo quite yet. Probably Lamas next for the title.

Maia gets Siyar next? I don't know where you got that from CRUM , but maybe if he beats Kim dominantly or something. I see him fighting someone like Kampmann or Saffiedine next.

Even though I was disappointed about the Fitch-Maia fight, I'm really happy to see my prospects Green and Woodley getting big debut wins.

CitizenSnips

I agree about Lesnar even though I didn't like the guy. He definitely wrecked some shit during his time in UFC. Overeem deserves props and is definitely top 10 despite losing tonight. Yeah the upset was awesome but you can't pretend Overeem didn't dominate him throughout the first two rounds.

Bigfoot HAS to be put in top 10 too now, I don't know why you wouldn't have that. I'd at least put him over Struve and Nelson right now after two big wins.

I was rooting for Aldo, but I had Edgar winning rounds 3+4 with round 5 being a tossup with a slight edge to Edgar. IMO it should've been at least a 48-47 instead of the two 49-46's. But this is based on points, and I thought Aldo was the better fighter tonight so I won't complain.

I doubt Rashad's done but Dana's probably pretty pissed at him over such a lackluster performance.

Benavidez looked great tonight and I agree he should be in line for another shot at Mighty Mouse. Maybe have him fight Dodson first but I think he's ready.

As much as I love Korean Zombie, I don't think he deserves Aldo quite yet. Probably Lamas next for the title.

Maia gets Siyar next? I don't know where you got that from CRUM , but maybe if he beats Kim dominantly or something. I see him fighting someone like Kampmann or Saffiedine next.

Even though I was disappointed about the Fitch-Maia fight, I'm really happy to see my prospects Green and Woodley getting big debut wins.
Most people had Aldo winning that fight. Out of the 8 MMA sites I've check, 6 of them gave the fight to Aldo. It was a close fight but imo Aldo deserved the win.

And Maia has to fight a top 5 guy now. Ellenberger, Hendricks, Rory or Condit. Anyone of those guys that don't get a title shot after their next fight should fight Maia. Maia's stock is incredibly high right now. While I do believe Maia is a legit top 10 guy at WW, I think all those guys I mentioned would give Maia tons of trouble. That said, if he manages to beat one of them, he should get a title shot.

Mt. Mutombo

Asshole by nature
All of the training I've seen of him, he's always beating his training partners up. There have been interviews with some of his former training partners that said that Lesnar gets pissed if he gets hit in training and they don't let training partners beat him up. Part of learning is getting your ass kicked. If you don't know how to face adversity then it will bite you in the ass.
Lol now that you mention that, i remember an interview from a well known fighter (whom i really can't remember) who used to help him train. He said that in a sparring session the guy went for a rear naked choke, and lesnar got so mad that he stood up, lifted the guy like a he was going to do a WWE slam, sent him flying and headed straight out of the gym like a kid throwing a tantrum lmao.

So yeah it's likely his training regime was ass lol.

Death

Noob
Yeah I was never a fan of Lesnar but you have to give him props. The guy was a one dimensional wrestler and came in and won off that with his strength and speed. Like snips said, he never got knocked out. His chin was pretty good he just had shit stand up defense. But oh well.

Rashad looked like shit tonight. I think he needs to move down to MW. He wrestled at 174 and hes pretty short for a LHW so the cut wouldnt be too bad. Maia is too good at 170. He looked much stronger and bigger than fitch.

Edgar got robbed imo. He lost the first 2 rounds but it was obvious he won 4 and 5 and he had the edge in 3. I think Edgar just needs more fights at 145 and he can challenge aldo in the future. Edgar just needs more power but if he trained for power he would lose his speed and stamina so its tough.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Most people had Aldo winning that fight. Out of the 8 MMA sites I've check, 6 of them gave the fight to Aldo. It was a close fight but imo Aldo deserved the win.

And Maia has to fight a top 5 guy now. Ellenberger, Hendricks, Rory or Condit. Anyone of those guys that don't get a title shot after their next fight should fight Maia. Maia's stock is incredibly high right now. While I do believe Maia is a legit top 10 guy at WW, I think all those guys I mentioned would give Maia tons of trouble. That said, if he manages to beat one of them, he should get a title shot.
I'm not saying Aldo didn't DESERVE the win, I'm saying I thought Edgar just outscored by a small margin. If we're going by who fought better and who did more damage it undoubtedly goes to Aldo. I'm just looking at it from the perspective of a judge since i'm probably as qualified as most of the Nevada athletic commission.

I actually agree that Maia's stock is really high right now, I just think he's in a bad position in his division. Because those 4 guys are all fighting each other, he'll either have to wait a bit to fight one of them, or they can give him a Kampmann or Saffiedine in the meantime to put him in line for a title shot.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
My bad, I thought the welterweight fights were a little bit further away. I think if Hendricks or MacDonald win, they'll get a title shot. Maia should fight the loser of one of them though at least.

CRUM

Noob
I dunno man...what quality fighter has he beaten recently?

Lesnar was, is and will always be a joke.
The Werdum fight was literally the worst fight i've seen in my life and he looked unimpressive.
And all the previous one were against a bunch of bums.

He hasn't had a quality win in over 7 or 8 years when he first beat Vitor.

My top 10 right now are:

1. Cain
2. JDS
3. Carwin (underrated as hell)
4. Cormier
5. Mir
6. Big Nog
7. Roy Nelson
8.Barnett
9. Overeem
10. Struve

Yeah i got him top 10 but in all honesty he still has much to prove...
I'm sorry, but what world are you living in where Carwin is a number three fighter? He's been inactive for over a year now and might not even come back after his recent injury. Big Nog should be on the low end of your top 10, and where's Werdum? He's hasn't lost since he returned to the UFC.

Although I have to agree that Lesnar was a complete joke. They pushed him to the sky just because of his name. They put him in the with the natural 205er (Couture), who only went to that division because it was suffering. I called that Lesnar would get knocked out once he fought a halfway decent wrestler who could stuff just one of his takedowns. He couldn't even handle taking one punch, granted the Heavyweights hit extremely hard.. But one punch? And then he leaves the UFC and acted as if he saved them from certain death. He belongs in the WWE and I was glad to see Overeem send him packing. With that being said, his comeback against Carwin was unbelievable.

It's very tough to watch Rashad, who only had 2 losses going into last night, lose that way. I mean that was a complete suckfest. I was embarrassed to watch Lil Nog stuff his takedowns nearly effortlessly. It's a shame too because that division has become shallow. Idk where Rashad goes from here but he needs to discipline himself a little more because he didn't look that great physically either.

Bigfoot deserves to have broken into the top ten after that fight. But for Dana to say he would be open to a rematch with Cain is completely dumb. Cain DESTROYED Bigfoot, worse than even Cormier did way back when. Bigfoot should not get the next title shot. Id like to see Cain get Cormier if he beats Mir, but I doubt they'd fight considered they train at AKA together.

Honestly a lot of division were derailed last night. LHW is uneventful with Jones sitting nearly untouchable at the top, WW just lost Jon Fitch as a contender after his performance, HW just lost their projected number one contender, and it's looking more and more like no one will be able to give Aldo a challenge.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
You guys are half right and half wrong. Lesnar was a legitimate threat; but he wasn't very experienced, and was thrown straight into the deep end in UFC. He went from being an actor to fighting champion-level heavyweights in months, something that most people could never hope to do. So it was both a testament to his talent, and his achilles heel; he never had the time to become a truly complete fighter, and it showed.

He was neither amazing nor horrible -- just a good fighter who could clean out most of the HW division, but was outmatched against top guys with a ton of experience. You can't say that guys like Pat Barry or Mexecutioner were walking in off the street cleaning his clock; he was only fighting the best.

With regard to Overeem.. He's had a ton of issues, and has been far from consistent against top fighters. Werdum outboxed him in their SF match, and he's hardly beaten anyone legitimate in over 6 years. You can't get away from his record. So before I call him top10, I'd like to see him do well against some (current) top10 opponents.

Clearly he has the potential; but he suffers from a lack of mental strength and makes questionable decisions in fights. That will cost you against dangerous opponents.

CitizenSnips

Honestly a lot of division were derailed last night. LHW is uneventful with Jones sitting nearly untouchable at the top, WW just lost Jon Fitch as a contender after his performance, HW just lost their projected number one contender, and it's looking more and more like no one will be able to give Aldo a challenge.
Actually, I think Fitch losing was great for the division. Noone except Revolver wants to see Fitch fight GSP again. Can you imagine if Fitch just continued to beat everybody and still get his ass beat by GSP? Demian beating Fitch created a new contender in the division and now Fitch is nowhere near the title. WW looks fantastic right now. Hendricks, Ellenberger, Condit, Rory and now Demian. That is one hell of a top 5 contenders for a division.

And I had Aldo winning the fight but Edgar did good. Lamas and Korean Zombie have good cases for being the #1 contender, and Mendes is destroying guys right now to build him up for a rematch sometime in the future. And we all know that Edgar will get a rematch in a couple of fights, as long as he keeps winning. And also, PEttis told Dana he wants to drop to 145 to fight Aldo. FW is looking good.

Anderson had 2 options before last night. He was either gonna fight Rashad or Weidman. Rashad lost so Weidman is the clear #1 contender. I guess a Rockhold fight is possible, but I think everyone knows that Weidman is the most legit contender right now.

The only division that got fucked up last night was HW. Bigfoot already got mauled by Cain and Cormier not too long ago. Overreem is extremely marketable and was definitely gonna be next to fight Cain had he won. There are good fights to make at HW, but the #1 contender doesn't really exist yet. Werdum should be the #1 contender, but he isn't fighting Big Nog until a couple of months. Cain probably should stay busy but I just don't know who he could fight right now.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
The only division that got fucked up last night was HW. Bigfoot already got mauled by Cain and Cormier not too long ago. Overreem is extremely marketable and was definitely gonna be next to fight Cain had he won. There are good fights to make at HW, but the #1 contender doesn't really exist yet. Werdum should be the #1 contender, but he isn't fighting Big Nog until a couple of months. Cain probably should stay busy but I just don't know who he could fight right now.
I think it actually works out better this way -- Cain would have wrestlewrecked Overeem. Instead, Overeem will probably end up in a standup battle for his next fight, and he'll be hungry after losing so he'll try to make a statement. Whether it's JDS or someone else, this is a perfect setup.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Actually, I think Fitch losing was great for the division. Noone except Revolver wants to see Fitch fight GSP again. Can you imagine if Fitch just continued to beat everybody and still get his ass beat by GSP? Demian beating Fitch created a new contender in the division and now Fitch is nowhere near the title. WW looks fantastic right now. Hendricks, Ellenberger, Condit, Rory and now Demian. That is one hell of a top 5 contenders for a division.

And I had Aldo winning the fight but Edgar did good. Lamas and Korean Zombie have good cases for being the #1 contender, and Mendes is destroying guys right now to build him up for a rematch sometime in the future. And we all know that Edgar will get a rematch in a couple of fights, as long as he keeps winning. And also, PEttis told Dana he wants to drop to 145 to fight Aldo. FW is looking good.

Anderson had 2 options before last night. He was either gonna fight Rashad or Weidman. Rashad lost so Weidman is the clear #1 contender. I guess a Rockhold fight is possible, but I think everyone knows that Weidman is the most legit contender right now.

I love Fitch but I didn't say he should be next to fight GSP if he won. I'm rooting for Rory actually, but I think Hendricks will get it if he takes out Ellenberger.

Lamas could put up a great fight vs Aldo. I want to see that next.

I think Luke Rockhold is in a good position to be the Middleweight contender, but I read that they're looking to put him against Vitor, so maybe that will be further away. Weidman is probably next vs Silva.

FUCK WERDUM. CORMIER MOTHERFUCKER. Werdum's fighting Big nog next so either one could get a chance if they win tbh.

CitizenSnips

I love Fitch but I didn't say he should be next to fight GSP if he won. I'm rooting for Rory actually, but I think Hendricks will get it if he takes out Ellenberger.

Lamas could put up a great fight vs Aldo. I want to see that next.

I think Luke Rockhold is in a good position to be the Middleweight contender, but I read that they're looking to put him against Vitor, so maybe that will be further away. Weidman is probably next vs Silva.

FUCK WERDUM. CORMIER MOTHERFUCKER. Werdum's fighting Big nog next so either one could get a chance if they win tbh.
Haha I know you never said Fitch should fight GSP, I was just joking because I thought you were a big Fitch fan. Rory will move up to MW if he gets too close to #1 contender imo. He seems to be very close to GSP. And I think Hendricks v. Ellenberger should be a #1 contender fight. Condit if he manages to beat Rory again would have to beat 1 more for a title shot.

Rockhold has the "last Strikeforce MW Champ," thing going for him. I don't think he's as good as Weidman but from a marketing standpoint it makes sense. And yes, I have also read that Vitor is supposed t fight him. Should be an interesting fight.

Cormier is not fighting Cain. They are training partners. And not just in the sense that they train at the same place, I think they spar and practice very often with eachother. Cormier has talked about dropping to LHW numerous times. It's gonna happen unless Cain gets fucked up in his next title defense.

And Werdum is awesome, the #1 troll at HW

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Cormier is not fighting Cain. They are training partners. And not just in the sense that they train at the same place, I think they spar and practice very often with eachother. Cormier has talked about dropping to LHW numerous times. It's gonna happen unless Cain gets fucked up in his next title defense.
Then put Cormier vs Werdum to fuck up HW even more.

Big Frog

Noob
Weirdest night ever last night. Everything was like the opposite. Judges were pretty much on point, Christmas got out wrestled, Tyron won by...by...by KO?????, Fitch got Fitch'd basically, The Motherfucking Bigfoot whopped Reem (best moment for me). Fun shit last night for sure.

CRUM

Noob
Weirdest night ever last night. Everything was like the opposite. Judges were pretty much on point, Christmas got out wrestled, Tyron won by...by...by KO?????, Fitch got Fitch'd basically, The Motherfucking Bigfoot whopped Reem (best moment for me). Fun shit last night for sure.
Yeah it was a strange ass night for the UFC

CitizenSnips

Don't forget Camus constantly taking Kimura down even though every single time he did that, Kimura almost got a submission and then eventually did.